Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

MizRik

5 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

Ah, I completely understand. HOWEVER, you were feeling really great from eating Whole 30, right? So you'll go back to that and feel great. I know how very tough it is. But you're not eating all the things. You tried some of the things and they didn't agree with you. So you're just going to be really good to yourself, and eat the things that make you feel good.

I have a VERY HARD TIME getting back on plan when I'm off. What do you think about starting your second round right now, and not worry about the sexy holiday food? That's an option...

Is there anything we can do for you?

@mhemm Melissa, I'll second @CCLaymon. Taking the training wheels off - as the book says - is HARD. But we've got you. And YOU'VE got this. Your sausage and sweet potatoes are going to get you back on track, and then you're going to make your next healthy decision. And you are NOT going to suddenly regain a bunch of weight.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, MizRik said:

I have the next three days off work so I will eat Whole30 foods today for sure for sure and then see how Christmas and Christmas Eve goes. 

As for a new thread.... I for sure don't want one with so many people we lose the closeness we have gained here. A few more fresh faces is also good. So if we start a new one the name can include a January theme, but also needs something else to try to keep the numbers down. Maybe something like...... "good friends starting the year off right." Then the first post could be an introduction with a little background of our group, the fact that we are sticking together, starting again (or continuing) and that new peeps are welcome to join us. 

Watcha think??? 

If the new thread gets outta control..... we can always just come back to this one. 

oh and I have a huge favor.... silly one. But can everyone share their names?? I know there are some out there, maybe I missed the rest. But I would love to know real names instead of just screen names. Makes it a bit more real. I'm Rikki by the way :) 

I hope your plan for Whole30 today went well and that you are feeling better.

Your thinking about staying with this thread makes sense. I also like your idea for "Good friends starting the year off right."

My screen name is pretty close to my real name. ;) Jessica Ney-Grimm.

4 hours ago, Silver Penguin said:

May I join you guys for January? I'm just a few days behind you, with day 30 coming up tomorrow. I'm not sure just how things will go next week but I know that getting back on the program will come as a relief. I've planned my dinners for the week already, with leftovers from the main meals to use as meal 1 and meal 2. 

I agree that there will be a lot of new people starting in January, but I'd like to be with a few folks who are on their second (or more) go around.

Jill

Love to have you with us, Jill! :D

I cooked my version of shepherd's pie for my parents, and it turned out that they had never eaten parsnips before. My dad, especially, loved the pie and the parsnips. He felt like it would be too difficult for him to cook himself (my parents need SIMPLE for cooking), but he wished he COULD cook it. ;)

This group is so great. Hopefully you'll not retreat to your private Facebook group so I can continue to follow you here on these forum boards (or May I also join your FB group if you do that, too?). I've gotten great inspiration and ideas from all of your posts, trials, tribulations and solutions.

PS - I'm Emily. :)

I would also love to join your group for January.  I have been following along.  Completed many rounds of W30 within the last few years.  Hello to CC Laymon  and Higs.  CC, Higs and I experienced the W30 journey with the most amazing group of people in 2014.  They were supportive of me during a horrible time of my life. Over the last year, I have disengaged from life - just surviving, but not living  because I can't handle the pain of life. I spend most of my time alone.  One of my goals for this W30 is to interact with all of you - socialization.  I'll share more about myself when we start the new thread.

Congrats to all who finished and all who made their best attempt.  Great group!

@mhemm so glad you are feeling better. Also, a little sleep usually helps - in the morning things tend to be a little better :) 

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings you're in!  And, by the way, are you having "no more crunchy cravings?" How is that going for you?

@Laurie, You're in, too!  I'm so glad you're following along, sister :)   It will be so good to get reconnected with you. I know you've been through so much heartbreak. Jump in here for some virtual hugs and support <3 

I'm headed off on my 8 hour drive to VA today.  I think I've gotten a little cocky about the food and feeling like I've got it. I'm so glad last yesterday I had a little common sense and went to the grocery store. Today I'm packing my seltzer, some individual bags of almonds, some hard boiled eggs, and some fruit. As usual, more than I will ever need, but it gives me some peace. Also, I usually eat my way to Virginia because it keeps me awake. Now I won't be tempted to stop for something fast and laden with sugar.

I slept until 6:30am today! That's a win! While I've been waking up with lots of energy at 4:30 every day, I know it's just not enough sleep for me so I'm happy to be well rested before the long drive.

Finally, my NUTPODS came and I've really been enjoying that in my coffee instead of coconut cream.  I wasn't sure about it at first, but I have this amazing frother, and it froths up just like regular cream. Everything tastes better with some froth, so two thumbs up on the notepads if anyone is missing coffee.

I hope everyone has a terrific day, and don't go too far off the rails! But, if you do, we're going to come and find you and bring you back :) 

I'll be on as much as I can over the next week, but internet is just about non-existent at my ol' Virginny home, so know I'm with you in spirit.

A very blessed Christmas to those who celebrate, and Happy Holidays to the rest!

Hello to everyone and Happy Holidays to all. I hope everyone is happy with their Whole 30 journey and looking forward to practicing some of these new skills in the New Year. 

I developed a nut allergy toward the end of week 2. My rheumatologist told me to stop doing Whole 30 as a result. I'm thinking about trying to restart the whole 30 on Jan 2 with everyone but doing a nut free version. I realize that makes the process much moe restrictive. Has anyone heard of people doing a nut free Whole 30 with success?

Best wishes for holidays full of peace, love and joy! Avital

13 hours ago, Jessica NG said:

I cooked my version of shepherd's pie for my parents, and it turned out that they had never eaten parsnips before. My dad, especially, loved the pie and the parsnips. He felt like it would be too difficult for him to cook himself (my parents need SIMPLE for cooking), but he wished he COULD cook it. ;)

I see making freezer versions as gifts in your future! ;) 

Hi gang,

I have been intermittently following along as well and would love to join you in the New Year.  I have a bunch of W30's under my belt, and know @CCLaymon and @Laurie from way back!  Laurie:  I am so glad you are joining in and coming along.  Big hugs to you; what you have been through is brutal and heart-wrenching.  I am so happy that you are reaching out to re-engage.

I'm not sure what everyone's re-start date is, but I'm planning on starting just after Christmas.  This Whole30 needs to be a big reset for me.  I'm not sure what it is that I eat when I'm not on a Whole30, but I need to figure it out because something I eat seems to be contributing to depression and malaise and just feeling blue.  I've done probably a half dozen W30's but have never done really proper reintros, so here I am back again.  Like CC, I do best with a really strict plan and love the structure of the W30.

All, congrats on your successful finish!  Happy holidays!

On 12/8/2016 at 5:13 PM, Jessica NG said:

@higs When you remove the bones from the stock pot, do you just freeze them again? This bone broth maker wants to know! ;)

@Jessica NG I'm sorry I missed this question until now!  Yes, I just throw them into a freezer zip lock bag.  The big bones last for several batches.  Some of the littler bones gradually break down and I throw them out when they start breaking apart too much.  

4 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings you're in!  And, by the way, are you having "no more crunchy cravings?" How is that going for you?

Cool. And sort of, to answer your question. I've been working on it since my first w30. I finally feel that during this, my third w30, I might finally have a good handle on my cravings. I also think that this time I could go on and on to do a w90 or longer (the first time I've felt that way), but I'm leaving the country for a trip on January 2, then returning the 8th, working the 9th and 10th (12.5 hour shifts), then leaving the country again Jan 11 until 29. I will try to make good decisions while abroad because I know just how good I feel now, but I know that I will also want to do another strict w30 when I get back starting February 1.

2 hours ago, Change30 said:

I developed a nut allergy toward the end of week 2. My rheumatologist told me to stop doing Whole 30 as a result. I'm thinking about trying to restart the whole 30 on Jan 2 with everyone but doing a nut free version. I realize that makes the process much moe restrictive. Has anyone heard of people doing a nut free Whole 30 with success?

Totally successful to do a w30 without nuts. Many people don't eat them at all because they're such a trigger food, and some do because they have known allergies. Nuts aren't even really encouraged in the Whole 30 except to use sparingly as a kind of condiment. You can definitely do it.

Hello team! I made it safely to Virginia. I was tempted a little by the junk food when I made my bathroom stops. I'm glad that I had packed ahead! I also brought my nutpods with me, so I had a small cup of coffee at 3pm. It helped me to be alert, but it may be hard to go to sleep tonight!

Rick welcomed me with a meal of short ribs over parsnips and carrots. Not bad!  

@Change30 I've been mostly nut free in this Whole30, I definitely think it's doable :) 

@higs I can't wait for you to jump on board and start feeling amazing again. I just was not in a good place when I started - I know sugar especially affects my mood.      I feel like I'm functioning at a higher level all around. When is day 1 for you?

Emily, I would think it would be hard to travel internationally on Whole 30, HOWEVER, when Rick and I went to Italy on our honeymoon for 14 days, I was on a plan that was pretty close. I did Italy with no bread, no pasta, no gelato. So I guess you really CAN do something close. I think you can get meat and vegetables everywhere, right? Maybe it will be EASIER!!

I will plan to set up a new group for us - let's say Friday? I'll post it here as soon as I do so we can make the switch over. Heading out to church.

I hope Santa is good to you all!

1 hour ago, CCLaymon said:

Hello team! I made it safely to Virginia. I was tempted a little by the junk food when I made my bathroom stops. I'm glad that I had packed ahead! I also brought my nutpods with me, so I had a small cup of coffee at 3pm. It helped me to be alert, but it may be hard to go to sleep tonight! Rick welcomed me with a meal of short ribs over parsnips and carrots. Not bad!  Glad you had safe travels and a delicious meal on arrival!!

Emily, I would think it would be hard to travel internationally on Whole 30, HOWEVER, when Rick and I went to Italy on our honeymoon for 14 days, I was on a plan that was pretty close. I did Italy with no bread, no pasta, no gelato. So I guess you really CAN do something close. I think you can get meat and vegetables everywhere, right? Maybe it will be EASIER!! Doable but possible boring as anything! :lol: I was vegan when I traveled to Spain and Italy with my best friend and was able to do that OK, and since I'll be done with my official w30, making good decisions is all I really am expecting of myself. In Iceland with my husband, I'm not really sure what there will be to eat. I'm hoping that we can shop at a grocery market to stock up on some produce that will stay ok in our hotel room and that I can use to supplement whatever other eating I'll be doing. Breakfasts are provided by the hotel, and I'm hoping they include boiled eggs and smoked fish of some sort. I'm not going to go too nuts worrying about what proteins have added sugar, so smoked salmon and bacon may be my friends that week. It's been a long time since I've had them! No idea what New Zealand will be like but my girlfriend and I have a small kitchen in our hotel room, so are planning to make our own breakfasts. I plan to do lots of eggs and olives and veggies. Easy. Australia will be spent on a cruise ship, which is pretty predictable. I think I'll be good with breakfasts and lunches at the buffet, and will make my needs known to the wait staff at dinner (usually incredibly accommodating). The days at port will be a free-for-all as I have no idea what kinds of foods will be available in Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Tasmania while we're off the ship. I'm going to remain caffeine free (aside from helping with the occasional nighttime drive or off-chance headache), and may have a bite of some of the delicious desserts on the ship, but I've cruised before, and know that nothing they will serve will be a once-in-a-lifetime chance at eating. So, that's my plan for now. Let's see if I can stick with it!

I will plan to set up a new group for us - let's say Friday? I'll post it here as soon as I do so we can make the switch over.

Can't wait to join in!

8 hours ago, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

Cool. And sort of, to answer your question. I've been working on it since my first w30. I finally feel that during this, my third w30, I might finally have a good handle on my cravings. I also think that this time I could go on and on to do a w90 or longer (the first time I've felt that way), but I'm leaving the country for a trip on January 2, then returning the 8th, working the 9th and 10th (12.5 hour shifts), then leaving the country again Jan 11 until 29. I will try to make good decisions while abroad because I know just how good I feel now, but I know that I will also want to do another strict w30 when I get back starting February 1.

Totally successful to do a w30 without nuts. Many people don't eat them at all because they're such a trigger food, and some do because they have known allergies. Nuts aren't even really encouraged in the Whole 30 except to use sparingly as a kind of condiment. You can definitely do it.

Thanks!  I think it will be harder for me but I've got to push myself to try. 

13 hours ago, Change30 said:

I'm thinking about trying to restart the whole 30 on Jan 2 with everyone but doing a nut free version. I realize that makes the process much moe restrictive. Has anyone heard of people doing a nut free Whole 30 with success?

I've been eating a nut-free Whole30 for the last 2 weeks, because I have FODMAP issues, and nuts have FODMAPS. I'm finding it to be no problem at all to carry on without nuts. I thought I would have tremendous difficulty cooking tasty dishes without onion, and garlic, but really that has proven to be no problem either. Who knew!? ;)

So far, I've experienced no difficulty in Whole30-ing along through Christmas. I suppose I'm doing a Whole60. Or maybe even a Whole90. I'll decide that when I get to January 20. ;) Tonight's dinner was roast chicken, roasted green beans, sweet potatoes (for everyone except me), salad, and kombucha. We had a lovely day with lots of re-telling of family anecdotes and laughter.

Last night I made "Perfect Burgers" a la Whole30, and we had an assortment of leftover vegetables - mashed parsnips, sweet potatoes (for everyone but me), roasted root veg (potatoes, turnips, rutabaga), and green beans. I love the Whole30 method of cooking burgers so much more than my old "stick 'em under the broiler." Evidently my dad likes it, too, because he AGAIN had seconds, something he NEVER does. :D

I think he is really looking forward to doing his own Whole30, but I suspect my mom is dreading it. HE is doing the cooking right now in their house, so if he wants to Whole30 he will, and she will be along for the ride. I wish them both the best with it. :) They departed today, and I was sad to see them go. I tried to persuade them to stay another day, but they would not. One of my closest friends pointed out that being a guest is hard work, too, so I'm sure they are eager for the comforts of home.

Archived