Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

MizRik

@MizRik Rikki, I'm SO glad you will be back with us soon! Hang in there in the meantime!

@CCLaymon Cassie, major congrats on staying strong and remembering that eating well and avoiding sugar makes you LESS stressed. Fantastic going when the pressure is sky high! Your idea for a special COMPLIANT New Year's sounds EXCELLENT! And I think your plan for when to start the new thread is perfect.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 8:20 PM, CCLaymon said:

I hear the sound of the tumbling tumbleweeds here!

I wrote a long post last night, but it appears it did not post. That's the story of my life at the lake. I've made everyone else shut off their phones and computers, so hopefully it will go through.

We have the little kids for a couple of days (ages 7 and 10). I'm finding it difficult to navigate at the VA house. I'm just not in my groove.  Also, there is a lot of chocolate around, and I helped Bethany make cupcakes today. We decided to go out for dinner tonight, only to find that every restaurant at the lake is closed but one (many close for the winter, but a few have gone out of business). So everyone was at one restaurant... a mad house!  The kids wouldn't eat their fries, and I actually started searching the forums to find a reason that I could make them compliant, but alas, no excuses to be found!

@MizRik @mhemm @IronGirlTrixie @AliceV @PattiMcK @higs @Laurie @NoMoreCrunchyCravings report in and let us know how you're plan is going!

Also, I noticed @IronGirlTrixie's November 1 group is recommencing for a January Whole 30. Are there many folks in your group? Should we just join them? Let me know your thoughts!

There were a core group of people from my other whole30. I feel as though they weren't as active or tight as this group. 

I have failed epically this week. I'm at a dance camp. The first four meals served in the dining room had pasta! Very little in way of protein. I've been keeping a cooler of things but there's no microwave or refrigerator. I'm pretty sure my body is back to using sugar as a power source and January is going to be hard. It'll be fine. I know it. But man, what was I thinking?! 

18 hours ago, Jessica NG said:

@NoMoreCrunchyCravingsEmily, I'm awed at how together you sound regarding prep - both logistical and mental - for your trip. You're a role model for any traveling Whole30-er!

I have to be to keep sane. If I don't at least make a good effort of it, I will go totally off the rails. And since I'll still be w30 for the first bit of the trip (flying out on Monday - a w30 day, Tues - a reintroduction day - nonglutinous grains or legumes, whatever I can get in Iceland more easily and in greater variety, Wed-Thurs back to w30, and then maybe just eat as close to w30 as I can after that with occasional off plan indulgences - whatever they may be) I need to plan plan plan.

10 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

In the end, I stuck to my guns, because I want to get away from food and drink as a stress reliever - dangerous territory for me because I naturally worry/stress/am anxious a good bit of the time. Also, as we've all discussed, eating well and no sugar makes me significantly LESS stressed than before.

Good on ya for getting through it - sometimes it can be quite overwhelming to go back to old habits, but when we understand how they really effect us physically and emotionally, it's just a smidge easier to make the better choice as you did. Bravo!

6 hours ago, MizRik said:

I'm alive! I promise! Crazy life currently and to say the least I have 100% fallen OFF the wagon. The crash and burn has been BAD!! Old habits, old headaches, old fatigue, its all coming back to me!! Crazy how it comes back SOOOOO fast!!!

I have been thinking about you ladies non-stop!! I will be back soon!! Anxious to catch up on all the posts I have missed!

Take care of you. Take baby steps. Little moves to eat compliantly and get to feeling better again will make such a big difference. It starts with one nutritional choice at a time. You can do it!

4 hours ago, IronGirlTrixie said:

I have failed epically this week. I'm at a dance camp. The first four meals served in the dining room had pasta! Very little in way of protein. I've been keeping a cooler of things but there's no microwave or refrigerator. I'm pretty sure my body is back to using sugar as a power source and January is going to be hard. It'll be fine. I know it. But man, what was I thinking?! 

It can be hard when you're not home and not able to prepare foods for yourself. Take care of yourself and, if you can, make small moves to eat higher nutritional value foods that are offered. Pick the protein out of the main course, eat double servings of the veggies, avoid the grains and dairy if you can, drizzle olive oil over your veggies to get fat in. It may not be possible to be completely compliant in your environment without having use of a kitchen, but I bet if you try to make the best of what they're offering you, you'll start to feel a little better both mentally and physically. Good luck!

Today I went to Whole Foods unexpectedly - I'd inadvertently brought a huge emergency walkie talkie home from work with me (how I didn't notice the extra four pounds in my lab coat pocket is beyond me), so I had to turn it back in today on my day off, and the hospital is across the street from Whole Foods - Yay! I was hungry by then after having done a few other errands, so I made a point of "tasting" some of the foods that I was buying as I walked throughout the store... some black olives here, a little compliant roast turkey there, a piece of dried mango and a piece of dried pineapple and a strawberry, and about a third of a bottle of a probiotic drink that isn't kombucha (I don't think) but has a similar nutritional advantage. I'm glad that I was able to nibble my way through a mini-meal as I walked through the store so that I didn't blow it on my way home passing McDonalds, Burger King, Smash Burger and Wendy's.

I stocked up on easy tab containers of compliant tuna and sliced black olives to bring along on my travels, a bag of pistachio nuts, two bags of cashews, two bags of pecans, a bag of dried mango, and a bag of dried pineapple. I've already got a case of RX bars, three Epic bars and the rest of the bag of Epic jerky bites. To eat this weekend and in the airport I also got some fresh oil cured and giant black olives from their beautiful olive bar, guacamole, kombucha and another kind of probiotic drink, fish sauce, some smoked salmon, a half a smoked whitefish, lots of compliant chicken sausages (on sale - SCORE!), strawberries and blueberries, and a few bananas. I'll freeze the sausages and start eating the smoked fishes tonight and will continue through when we leave. I may also make whitefish salad out of some homemade mayo and the smoked whitefish that I bought. Will be delicious to dip with carrot sticks.

Any more plans for New Year's dinner and the following day? I'm trying to think about what I'd like to eat with my husband for our (most likely) quiet night in with a movie on Netflix. Probably just smoked whitefish and smoked salmon (with a bagel and cream cheese and red onion for my hubby), a spinach salad with strawberries and blueberries and pecans, dressed with balsamic vinegar and good extra virgin olive oil, kombucha or probiotic drink for me and sparkling apple cider for my husband, and I bought a few dairy free baked goods today at Whole Foods (glutinous grains plus sugar - I already know I'm ok with sugar if only added in small amounts into my diet sporadically) for a new year's sendoff (knowing that dessert isn't part of the w30 plan, but that the New Year is a special thing, and I'd like to have something sweet to eat to symbolically send off a very sad 2016).

How did everyone's day go?

I cooked ribeye steaks using the Whole30 method tonight, and they were SO delicious! Who knew?! I'd been cooking steak the wrong way my entire life, sticking them under the broiler. I suspected the Whole30 method might well be better, based on the results from cooking pork chops that way, but wow!

I used my cast iron frying pan, and I found some beef fat that had risen to the top of beef drippings that I'd saved. So I heated some of the fat up in the fry pan, rubbed salt and freshly ground pepper into both sides of the steaks, then seared them on one side for 4 minutes, flipped them and immediately stuck the whole fry pan into the 350F oven, where I left them for 8 minutes. Then I pulled them out and let the steaks rest for 5 minutes. They were unbelievably good!

I served roasted Yukon gold potatoes and roasted green beans on the side, as well as some of the leftover chicken veggie soup, to which I added those beef drippings I'd found. Dinner was SO awesome. I had no idea that an ordinary weekday dinner could taste so good, and I am now supremely grateful that the Whole30 book has succeeded in teaching me what no other recipe book - over the course of 4 decades - had managed to do: HOW TO COOK! :D

I'm in an especially good mood, because the revision work on my novel has gone really well this week. I finished some really tricky revision work yesterday and was tackling more mundane revision work today. I'm not quite done, but soon, soon I will be.

I'm feeling very pleased that I've managed to Whole30 my way through the holidays, that I've been able to fit in a lot of gym visits for swimming and weight lifting through the holidays (not quite my usual 6 days per week, but a good 4 days out of 7), that I didn't skimp on holiday prep and holiday celebrating, and that I returned to working on the novel the instant my parents headed for home. It feels great to be putting in time and energy on all my top priorities. :D

I'm eager to have all my sister Whole30ers back as we jump on 2017 with more Whole30ing together. Go, us! :D

I've been lurking on this thread for over a month, reading your ladies stories as I prep for my first Whole30 on Jan 2nd. Just wanted to congratulate everyone on completing their round and thank you all for the inspiration!

31 minutes ago, Jessica NG said:

I cooked ribeye steaks using the Whole30 method tonight, and they were SO delicious! Who knew?! I'd been cooking steak the wrong way my entire life, sticking them under the broiler. I suspected the Whole30 method might well be better, based on the results from cooking pork chops that way, but wow!

I used my cast iron frying pan, and I found some beef fat that had risen to the top of beef drippings that I'd saved. So I heated some of the fat up in the fry pan, rubbed salt and freshly ground pepper into both sides of the steaks, then seared them on one side for 4 minutes, flipped them and immediately stuck the whole fry pan into the 350F oven, where I left them for 8 minutes. Then I pulled them out and let the steaks rest for 5 minutes. They were unbelievably good!

I served roasted Yukon gold potatoes and roasted green beans on the side, as well as some of the leftover chicken veggie soup, to which I added those beef drippings I'd found. Dinner was SO awesome. I had no idea that an ordinary weekday dinner could taste so good, and I am now supremely grateful that the Whole30 book has succeeded in teaching me what no other recipe book - over the course of 4 decades - had managed to do: HOW TO COOK! :D

This all sounds sooooo good!

I'm in an especially good mood, because the revision work on my novel has gone really well this week. I finished some really tricky revision work yesterday and was tackling more mundane revision work today. I'm not quite done, but soon, soon I will be. That's awesome!

I'm feeling very pleased that I've managed to Whole30 my way through the holidays, that I've been able to fit in a lot of gym visits for swimming and weight lifting through the holidays (not quite my usual 6 days per week, but a good 4 days out of 7), that I didn't skimp on holiday prep and holiday celebrating, and that I returned to working on the novel the instant my parents headed for home. It feels great to be putting in time and energy on all my top priorities. :D Sounds like you're doing such a great job!

I'm eager to have all my sister Whole30ers back as we jump on 2017 with more Whole30ing together. Go, us! :D

29 minutes ago, Jessica NG said:

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings Emily, I love hearing all about your travel prep. Keep sharing! I'm learning from you! Your menu for New Year's sounds yummy! :D

Haha - I'm good at sharing, I'll keep posting as I prepare if it's interesting to hear about and helpful for others' future travels!

Melissa, Melissa, and Rikki, I'm glad that you are checking in! I'm sorry you're not feeling great. I've been there, sistas! Next week will probably be tough but we'll hold your hands through it :)

I would like to hear more about dance camp. That sounds like great fun!

Emily, do you leave on Tuesday? We'll miss you here! I love those individual travel packs of olives. GENIUS!! Your whole foods mini meal sounds great - did you escape with paying anything less than a bar of gold? If so, you win! It sounds like you're really ready for the weekend and travels!

Jessica, after all this delicious talk, I'm breaking out my Whole30 cookbook. I'm missing out on some good stuff! Also, I wrote a book earlier this year, and I know how important reviews are. I also LOVE to read. So, I'm offering my services - when it's time, I'm happy to do a review of your book and spread the word. I've met some amazing authors this year, and marketing and sales can be even tougher than the writing. Excellent on the gym time. My goal for January - 4x's/week at the gym!

@browneyedbeauty thanks for checking in! Stop by tomorrow for a link to our January Whole30. You're an honorary member for sticking with us for that long :D 

I was inspired by all the talk of a special New Year's dish, so today we got some gorgeous ahi tuna for tomorrow night. I never ate that before I met my husband, but he's a great cook and made me an more adventurous eater. Something to look forward to - yay! I'm really glad for the weekend and putting a couple of stressful days behind me. I have tomorrow with Rick, and then Sunday morning I'm back on the road to NJ. I have to pack as well as I did on the trip down!

Happy Friday all!

25 minutes ago, CCLaymon said:

Melissa, Melissa, and Rikki, I'm glad that you are checking in! I'm sorry you're not feeling great. I've been there, sistas! Next week will probably be tough but we'll hold your hands through it :)

I would like to hear more about dance camp. That sounds like great fun!

Emily, do you leave on Tuesday? We'll miss you here! I love those individual travel packs of olives. GENIUS!! Your whole foods mini meal sounds great - did you escape with paying anything less than a bar of gold? If so, you win! It sounds like you're really ready for the weekend and travels!

Jessica, after all this delicious talk, I'm breaking out my Whole30 cookbook. I'm missing out on some good stuff! Also, I wrote a book earlier this year, and I know how important reviews are. I also LOVE to read. So, I'm offering my services - when it's time, I'm happy to do a review of your book and spread the word. I've met some amazing authors this year, and marketing and sales can be even tougher than the writing. Excellent on the gym time. My goal for January - 4x's/week at the gym!

@browneyedbeauty thanks for checking in! Stop by tomorrow for a link to our January Whole30. You're an honorary member for sticking with us for that long :D 

I was inspired by all the talk of a special New Year's dish, so today we got some gorgeous ahi tuna for tomorrow night. I never ate that before I met my husband, but he's a great cook and made me an more adventurous eater. Something to look forward to - yay! I'm really glad for the weekend and putting a couple of stressful days behind me. I have tomorrow with Rick, and then Sunday morning I'm back on the road to NJ. I have to pack as well as I did on the trip down!

Happy Friday all!

@IronGirlTrixie I would also like to hear more about dance camp. Besides the questionable meal offerings in the dining room, what sparked you to go for a week away there and what are you learning while there?

@CCLaymon I leave on Monday (not even sure what time. I have to book car service tomorrow so I'd better find out!) January 2. I can't believe it's so soon. With my crazy schedule I sometimes lose track of time and what day of the week it is... fortunately my watch (a fitbit) tells me the date, so I usually know at least that. :P And no, I didn't get out of there without breaking the bank. It cost something like $300 which is way more than I regularly spend on groceries for an entire week or two, but I knew that with all those nuts and cans of tuna and smoked fishes it was going to be expensive. I don't make Whole Foods a regular grocery stop for the reason that everything is quite expensive... it's a bit out of my budget to shop there regularly. But I definitely wanted to be sure to have compliant food items in convenience-sized packages for traveling and had a hunch I'd be able to get lots of them there.

What are the topics of these books? What genres are they? It's so exciting to hear about your work and publishing, @CCLaymon and @Jessica NG.

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings, I'm just plain excited to hear about ICELAND.  I want to get there soon.  My dad and I have been talking about a possible trip there together!  I need to grab the opportunity because he's 80 and we want to go x-c skiing while he still can!  (He can still ski circles around me.  He is such an inspiration.)

3 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

Also, I wrote a book earlier this year, and I know how important reviews are. I also LOVE to read. So, I'm offering my services - when it's time, I'm happy to do a review of your book and spread the word. I've met some amazing authors this year, and marketing and sales can be even tougher than the writing.

Cassie, that's so cool that you're a writer too! What's the title of your book? I'll definitely take you up up on your offer to read and review mine when the time comes. :D I agree that marketing a book is tough!

3 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

Yes! @browneyedbeauty, you are one of us!

@IronGirlTrixie Melissa, I want to hear more about dance camp, too!

1 hour ago, higs said:

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings, I'm just plain excited to hear about ICELAND.  I want to get there soon.  My dad and I have been talking about a possible trip there together!  I need to grab the opportunity because he's 80 and we want to go x-c skiing while he still can!  (He can still ski circles around me.  He is such an inspiration.)

Emily, I want to hear about Iceland, too! In answer to your question: I write fantasy novels with a focus on character, inner growth, and hope. My current novel has all that, but it is also a mystery!

Gotta say...you ladies are SO cool! :D

Looking forward to the new thread.  I keep telling myself I will start "today" but I never do.  I need the accountability and support.   In October, I completed about 15 days and then went off the W30 because my psychiatrist wanted me to gain 10 pounds.  I have only gained a few pounds  (honestly I don't want to gain weight) but I have been eating foods with no brakes and I don't like that feeling.  @CCLaymon and @higs - my friends, and anyone else who wants to help - if I disappear, please come get me.  Since the love of my life, Steve, died a huge part of me also died.  I have had lots of trouble just functioning and often withdraw from people and life.  I'll share more of my story in the new thread.

6 hours ago, higs said:

I can't wait to share with everyone how it went! I may be able to get online (will have my iPad with me) in the hotel to be able to check with their wifi but can't make any guarantees. I actually got the trip off of Groupon Getaways. It was a spur of the moment purchase - my husband has been talking about wanting to see Iceland for years and there it was right in my email inbox, and was good for a trip during the time between his college semesters so perfect timing for us. I'll share my photos as soon as I get home!

I also love xc skiing but usually have to go alone. None of my family or friends enjoy doing it. I have two sets of snow shoes, too, but mostly find myself doing that alone, as well. It's not bad though - so peaceful when I go out, usually to the Rockefeller State Park Preserve near my home. So wonderful that you and your dad go out skiing together and that he's so active!

5 hours ago, Jessica NG said:

Cassie, that's so cool that you're a writer too! What's the title of your book? I'll definitely take you up up on your offer to read and review mine when the time comes. :D I agree that marketing a book is tough!

Yes! @browneyedbeauty, you are one of us!

@IronGirlTrixie Melissa, I want to hear more about dance camp, too!

Emily, I want to hear about Iceland, too! In answer to your question: I write fantasy novels with a focus on character, inner growth, and hope. My current novel has all that, but it is also a mystery!

Gotta say...you ladies are SO cool! :D

Sounds really neat, Jessica. I can't wait to hear more about your progress! I also think this group is so wonderful - I'm so lucky to have found it. I started on another thread for 11/28 starters with @Kathleenkp but we seem to be the last two who still post there. It's wonderful to be a part of a more active group. Thank you for adopting me!

3 hours ago, Laurie said:

Looking forward to the new thread.  I keep telling myself I will start "today" but I never do.  I need the accountability and support.   In October, I completed about 15 days and then went off the W30 because my psychiatrist wanted me to gain 10 pounds.  I have only gained a few pounds  (honestly I don't want to gain weight) but I have been eating foods with no brakes and I don't like that feeling.  @CCLaymon and @higs - my friends, and anyone else who wants to help - if I disappear, please come get me.  Since the love of my life, Steve, died a huge part of me also died.  I have had lots of trouble just functioning and often withdraw from people and life.  I'll share more of my story in the new thread.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sadness and loss, Laurie. Prayers that 2017 finds you in a better place emotionally/psychologically and physically.

I am so excited to get to know you all better in the new thread and the new year!!!  I was doing so much better when we were all on here every day sharing our w30 experiences and victories!  :D

I am a reader!  I am on my 3rd book this week due to work being relatively quiet (minus my ugly-cry breakdown in my boss' office yesterday...).  I read alot of different genres, but usually romantic comedy dramas (Janet Evanovich, Marian Keyes, Carly Phillips, Nora Roberts, Jennifer Wiener, Sophie Kinsella, Sandra Brown).  I just finished The Good Neighbor by A.J. Banner  - honestly, because it was free with Amazon Prime - it was good, though, just a little abrupt - not as long as what I usually read.:mellow:

@Laurie - I hope you find the love & support you are looking for here, this is a great group and we are here for you!:wub:

As I've mentioned before, I just got the Well-Fed 45 Weeknights book by Melissa Joulwan and I love it SO much.  I haven't even gotten to the recipes yet, but I love her style of writing and personality just after all the introductory stuff!:wub:

I better start working on our menu for the next couple weeks and a grocery spreadsheet now while the house is quiet.  I wonder if I can convince the hubs to drive to Rochester and hit up Trader Joe's this weekend...

Happy New Year and much love to you all!!!

(I never posted about our NYE or NYD plans because we don't really do anything.  Maybe watch the ball drop...)

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings, @mhemm - thanks for your kind words.  I am in water works mode from reading your posts.

Started the day off positive by taking a one hour walk.  I used to love walking and exercise but as Steve got sicker (stem cell transplant recipient), I lost interest in everything and was afraid to leave him.  Usually I spend most of my day in bed so the walk felt great.  Time to hit the store for  W30 food.

Happy New Year To All Of You and Your Loved Ones

3 hours ago, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

I also love xc skiing but usually have to go alone. None of my family or friends enjoy doing it. I have two sets of snow shoes, too, but mostly find myself doing that alone, as well. It's not bad though - so peaceful when I go out, usually to the Rockefeller State Park Preserve near my home. So wonderful that you and your dad go out skiing together and that he's so active!

I usually do most of my outdoor activities alone too.  I go skiing once a year when I visit my family in Idaho. I don't know anyone near me who xc skis!  One of my goals this year is to find some kindred spirits to do outdoor activities with.  I actually really enjoy hiking and kayaking alone sometimes, but doing it with friends is fun, too!

2 hours ago, mhemm said:

I am so excited to get to know you all better in the new thread and the new year!!!  I was doing so much better when we were all on here every day sharing our w30 experiences and victories!  :D

Me too! When does the new thread start?  Also:  hooray for chocolate chili!!  It's the best!  I had it for dinner two nights in a row this week.  

6 hours ago, Laurie said:

@Laurie, we got you.  Wrapping you up in a big hug to start your new year.  I'm so glad you got out for a walk today - in my case exercise can help a great deal.  The hardest part can be getting out the door to DO IT, even know I'll feel much better once I'm out there!

This morning I popped awake at 6:00 a.m. raring to go.  I'm aiming for a hike this morning, too.

@Laurie it will be so good to have you back with us. Friends, even virtual friends are so important when you're healing. We won't lose you :wub:

@mhemm I'm posting to the new thread here shortly so we can all do a little catching up and prep work.

What do you say we do a recipe challenge for January? Everyone posts 1-2 recipes that they have tried and loved (or at least liked). That will make me a little more adventurous. I'm a little competitive (ok... a LOT) and having a goal to hit helps me to keep things moving forward.

I wanted to do one last post/question here before we flip over:

@SugarcubeOD I found this recipe in one of the other threads: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/06/24/coffee-shop-worthy-caramel-vanilla-bean-hazelnut-milk/ and I'm wondering about your thoughts. I believe that technically it would be on program, but also probably SWYPO. I'm checking in before I run directly to the grocery store to get the ingredients, LOL! What about it you cut down on the number of dates? Awaiting your reply!

1 hour ago, CCLaymon said:

I found this recipe in one of the other threads: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/06/24/coffee-shop-worthy-caramel-vanilla-bean-hazelnut-milk/ and I'm wondering about your thoughts. I believe that technically it would be on program, but also probably SWYPO. I'm checking in before I run directly to the grocery store to get the ingredients, LOL! What about it you cut down on the number of dates? Awaiting your reply!

@CCLaymon, OMG does that sound good.  And, hate to say, it sounds like SWYPO to meeeeee....

Archived