Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

MizRik

So here I am on Day 4.  Waiting for the "Kill All The Things" moment but it hasn't happened yet!   Maybe it will strike tomorrow, but I will be off work for the next three days and my partner is working so he will be safe :lol:   Haven't felt too bad so far.  Some mild headaches and nausea the first couple of days but that seems to have passed.  I can certainly see how planning is SO important with this program, and I'll be using those days off to my advantage to prepare for the upcoming week.  Hope all of you have a Happy Thanksgiving!  I have to admit I am a bit relieved I live in Canada so I don't have to deal with that extra pressure right now!  But it sounds like you all have it in hand anyway :) 

I had my first NSV today :D   I have an open box of Belgian chocolates in my desk at work that I haven't touched.  Took it to a staff meeting today and they are now gone!  I'm not normally a big sweet eater, but I'm not one to turn down chocolate either!  It feels good to have that temptation out of the way. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Whole30 friends!  I am so thankful for the support and humor that this group provides!^_^

I decided to take a couple sides this year instead of just one & definitely not the traditional green bean casserole!  I made mashed sweet potatoes with coconut oil and cinnamon (if we didn't have a tree nut allergy in the family I would have added some toasted pecans) and a crock pot full of green beans in water and seasoned with 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe's.  Even if the only other thing I eat is turkey - I should be plenty well fed!  

What about pain relievers and cold medicines?  I can tell I am getting a head cold and I will probably need an Advil (or 4) before the end of the day...:D

4 hours ago, hmg1993 said:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  New to this board.  Hosting Thanksgiving, which means my menu can be [secretly] compliant!  Made curried butternut squash soup topped with chestnuts and coconut cream; Roast Turkey basted in homemade mayo; pureed cauliflower, parsnip and carrots; Brussels sprouts tossed with capers, mustard and anchovies and crispy oven roasted sweet potato.  Did make traditional stuffing for guests and have pies for dessert for them but made my own baked apples.  Hope you all have a great day!

HMG - what an amazing menu! That sounds like an A+ to me. We never had capers with the brussels-I'll have to try that!  I'll bet no one will even know how healthy they're eating ;)

Patti - you're right, it's so important to plan ahead. I'm going to take a cue from you and do some planning this weekend. Maybe you'll skip the emotional days, glad to hear you're doing well. I usually start to really feel great around day 10, though I haven't felt too bad this time around, either.

Mhemm - you are going to feel terrific tomorrow after staying compliant today. If you can stay on track for Thanksgiving, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!

Mhemm - I did some searching in the "Can I have" forum. Suggestions include that Tylenol is ok. and  Throat Coat Tea (which I haven't heard of).

There are several moderators that have commented on it - a couple of different approaches.

Just search for "cold medicine." Hope you're feeling better soon!

Oh my goodness! Its nice to see the group this active. I have been working like a dog and unable to hop on and post.

On day #2 and #3 I did have a bit of the "hangover" feeling. I get pretty regular headaches at baseline so was not surprised that I had one for both days. I avoided medications as long as I could, but once the headache got bad enough I was nauseated and working towards a migraine and I to treat it with Excedrin migraine. Not sure that's whole30 compliant, but for that one I didn't have a choice because I couldn't crawl in a dark room and hide at work.

Today is day #4 and I feel good. I do not have any of the "Kill all the things" symptoms so that's a bonus. I am still pretty tired and would kill for a nap, but that is my baseline and no different than any other day.  I think that my body is in a little bit of shock as I feel the same as mhemm. When meal time rolls around I feel starved, will eat a few bites and then feel full BUT  30 minutes later I am starving again! I know its not what we are supposed to do, but I find myself grazing a bit on my meals. I cant seem to get the whole thing down so I eat as much as I can and then munch on it over the next little bit. So sometimes my meals are taking me two hours to eat. Hopefully this gets better as I adjust.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to those who are celebrating!!

I best get back to work.

Happy turkey day to those in the States!! 

Had a solid day 4!  Prepared roasted veggies and frittata last night, so split it into 2 portions for breakfast today, and tomorrow. 

Is it acceptable to just have my black coffee while getting ready for work, and eat when I get into work? Like it's the first morning thing I do.....cuddle with our dog on the couch, prepare mentally for my day and have a 1/2 cup coffee .

Not a morning person so it's just more time efficient for me this way. I did read coffee is an appetite suppressant so one should eat first.....

hoping I don't have to reverse this ritual. 

Carrot cake at work for a colleague's bday.....didn't touch a crumb!! 

Bought the PureLeaf unsweetened ice tea in a big container.....shared it at work with others...it was very satisfying and refreshing after mostly having water and teas in past 4 days..

Can you actually buy wild canned salmon "deboned"? Was making the salmon cakes tonight, and had to work through the salmon with my fingers to remove the bone bits.....it really annoyed me. 

Have been feeling nicely full with the meals I have been packing for myself....

Everyone in this group is seriously making good progress, and staying on course! I know it helps me when I think of you guys during my day.....that we are all making the Whole30 choices mouthful by mouthful. :)

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-nsv.pdf

Alice, NSV = non-scale victories - the link above lists things to look for so you don't get obsessed with losing weight.

One of my biggest NSV from my first whole 30 was giving up diet Coke, which I thrived on. My last was 6/8/2014, the day before my first whole 30. It's one thing that I cannot touch, or I'm back to the races.

Great job on passing up the carrot cake! Work situations are tough - there can be a lot of peer pressure there.

Here's to Day 5 - Happy Friday!

Can I just say my only complaint is how bloated I still feel. I was hoping that the change in my eating would help me feel less bloated and uncomfortable. From what I remember the change was pretty quick the last time I did this. However this time not so much. I still look pregnant 

Hi. My first day was Nov 22nd. I also had some reservations about starting right before Thanksgiving. I had the same thought as MizRik, there's never a good a time to start so why wait. My rheumatologist suggested that I try Whole 30 so here I am. I have tried other plans for more healthful eating and weight loss with a small amount of success. I've always slid back into less healthful eating patterns and created my own frustration. I find it difficult to find support when I need it so I'm hoping this forum will prove to be helpful. 

This is is my first Whole30 and my first foray into using an Internet forum. I'm not sure about the mechanics of how a forum works, so if I double post or don't respond it's because I'm trying to figure out the ropes!

I wish everyone a successful Whole30 and look forward to supporting you all in your efforts!

• Moderators
15 hours ago, AliceV said:

Had a solid day 4!  Prepared roasted veggies and frittata last night, so split it into 2 portions for breakfast today, and tomorrow. 

Is it acceptable to just have my black coffee while getting ready for work, and eat when I get into work? Like it's the first morning thing I do.....cuddle with our dog on the couch, prepare mentally for my day and have a 1/2 cup coffee .

Not a morning person so it's just more time efficient for me this way. I did read coffee is an appetite suppressant so one should eat first.....

hoping I don't have to reverse this ritual.   It would be best to try to eat within an hour of waking up (here's an article that explains more about that), and coffee is an appetite suppressant, so especially if you're already not feeling hungry when you first wake up, it would be best to save the coffee for later.

I get not being a morning person, but you'd be surprised how that can change if you put in the effort to get up and eat as soon as you can in the morning. I've really never been a morning person either, but when I get up and eat first thing, within a week or two, I'm just naturally waking up a little earlier and a little easier. If I go through a time when I don't do this, I go back to not wanting to get out of bed and not wanting breakfast fairly quickly.

Can you actually buy wild canned salmon "deboned"? Was making the salmon cakes tonight, and had to work through the salmon with my fingers to remove the bone bits.....it really annoyed me. 

Yes, you can. It may be harder to find, but I have bought it before -- I found Wild Planet brand at Wal Mart and at my local health food store, but there may be other brands.

15 hours ago, AliceV said:

hoping I don't have to reverse this ritual. 

Carrot cake at work for a colleague's bday.....didn't touch a crumb!! 

Bought the PureLeaf unsweetened ice tea in a big container.....shared it at work with others...it was very satisfying and refreshing after mostly having water and teas in past 4 days..

Have been feeling nicely full with the meals I have been packing for myself....

Everyone in this group is seriously making good progress, and staying on course! I know it helps me when I think of you guys during my day.....that we are all making the Whole30 choices mouthful by mouthful. :)

Hi to all of you - great job on a healthy TG!  Not doing a whole30 right now but finished my 5th one a month or so ago. Wanted to comment on the salmon, a topic near and dear to my heart as an Alaskan!  Never bought canned but have been canning my own for 20+ years. My experience, with the pressure it takes to can,  is that the bones are completely edible and an excellent source of calcium and other nutrients.  The texture is odd if you just pick one out and eat it but they go unnoticed when mixed up and mashed into patties, casserole, etc.  Thinking it should be the same with store bought (???)  Enjoy your health over the holiday season!

Major cravings today!! Anyone else?? 

Also..... I'm at work today and ate a stir fry with garlic for lunch. So out of habit and not thinking about it, I popped a piece of gum into my mouth to be nice to others.  Didn't even think about it, until I nearly choked on it 20 minutes later and swallowed it. At that moment, all I could think about was Nooooooooo gum is all sugar!!! Crap!! 

Oh well. It is what it is. I'm not starting over for one piece of gum <_<

On November 24, 2016 at 9:17 PM, AliceV said:

This is a question for PattiMcK who posted...what is NSV? 

You are a Canadian as well, what province?

Hi Alice.  I am from Nova Scotia but have been living in small town Saskatchewan for the past 1.5 years.  It's been quite an adjustment!   Where are you from? 

I see the NSV question was already answered. I've always been so obsessed with the number on the scale when following any other healthy eating/diet program so I'm trying to focus more on NSVs this time. I even asked my partner to hide the scale  for the 30 days so I am not tempted!  He gave me a weird look but the scale is gone :)

Thanks CCLaymon for inviting me to join your conversation!  I'm a newbie to the Forum and still trying to figure out the best way to take advantage of this resource.  I've been trying to start a reset for the last month and keep getting a few days or a week in and get weak and fall off the wagon.  Figured it's time to recognize I can't do this on my own and I need some likeminded support!  How do you all make the most of this resource?  Do you just check in on this thread daily?  Do you have a notification set up?  Do you always ask your questions here, or do you post them in multiple places to get more advice?  Would love to hear how it's working best for you all, as I'm gearing up to start on Monday, 11/28!

Hey, I started Nov 21, too!

I finished reading the book Whole30 on Nov 20, and I just couldn't bear to wait to start. So 11/21 was my day 1. I meant to come over and check out the forum sooner, but didn't manage to until now, my day 6. I think I felt scared. ;) Actually, I'm *still* scared, but I'm here!

My sugar dragon has been roaring like crazy every night, but I haven't caved yet. I hadn't realized before reading Whole30 that my nightly glass (BIG glass) of raw local milk could be causing me problems, but now I suspect it is why I lost zero weight during the last 6 months despite my return to the gym. I'm currently swimming 1400 meters 3x/week and lifting weights 2x-3x/week.

I was eating paleo plus raw milk, with occasional slips when my family was having pasta for dinner. Obviously that wasn't working for me, since I have joint pain and am carrying too much fat. I *hope* Whole30 will improve things. I have this great fear that it will work for everybody in th world except me, but I am determined to give it a go and find out.

Hi Jessica, glad you are here with all of us! Yes for sure, the evenings for me is when I would typically emotionally eat. That sugar dragon IS the devil on our shoulder. Stay strong.

We can do this together-just pause and breathe and think about the fact that things are changing inside of our bodies, and ever DAY of Whole30 eating is building us UP!!

Great work on all your physical activity by the way.  

Thanks for the welcome, Alice! My other fear was that I would post here and nobody would notice or reply. ;)

Is there a way to respond to individual posts? It looks like a few people have done that, but I can't figure out how they did it. I'm just seeing the open text box at the bottom of the page. Sorry if I'm being dense!

My family (husband plus two 14-year-olds [boy-girl twins]) are totally NOT doing this Whole30 with me. So there are loads of non-compliant foods in the house, but it is the milk that really tempts me. I need to do some meal planning today, since the plan I'd made went through Friday. And it worked! But now I need plans for the next few days!

Archived