MizRik

Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Jessica NG said:

Thanks for the welcome, Alice! My other fear was that I would post here and nobody would notice or reply. ;)

Is there a way to respond to individual posts? It looks like a few people have done that, but I can't figure out how they did it. I'm just seeing the open text box at the bottom of the page. Sorry if I'm being dense!

My family (husband plus two 14-year-olds [boy-girl twins]) are totally NOT doing this Whole30 with me. So there are loads of non-compliant foods in the house, but it is the milk that really tempts me. I need to do some meal planning today, since the plan I'd made went through Friday. And it worked! But now I need plans for the next few days!

You can quote a message, like I've done here -- below each individual post is a button to Quote that message, just click that and it'll paste the message into the reply box. 

You can also tag a person by putting the @ symbol followed by their user name, no spaces. As you start typing, a drop down list should show up so you can choose the name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also new to this type of forum, so don't call yourself dense. I actually followed the grocery list that is on the website to get sorta organized.

My husband and our eldest who is at home with us, are not on this plan. I did choose a shelf where I keep "my foods", and I have some stuff in the fridge labelled. 

I also love the book, as I find it more convenient at times. As I work mon- fri, my hubby is retired, I do prep over the weekend, but also some through the week. This IS sometimes the last thing I feel like doing . 

I have to remind myself that I am worth it, I also want to see how my psoriasis responds to a food intake overhaul.  So far So good, day 6 1/2 done!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

You can quote a message, like I've done here -- below each individual post is a button to Quote that message, just click that and it'll paste the message into the reply box. 

You can also tag a person by putting the @ symbol followed by their user name, no spaces. As you start typing, a drop down list should show up so you can choose the name.

Awesome! Thank you, Shannon

I just clicked that + and am posting this largely because I want to make sure I understand how to do it. ;)

Now, I'd better go get that meal planning done, or I will be in trouble later!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also new to this type of forum, so don't call yourself dense. I actually followed the grocery list that is on the website to get sorta organized.

My husband and our eldest who is at home with us, are not on this plan. I did choose a shelf where I keep "my foods", and I have some stuff in the fridge labelled. 

I also love the book, as I find it more convenient at times. As I work mon- fri, my hubby is retired, I do prep over the weekend, but also some through the week. This IS sometimes the last thing I feel like doing . 

I have to remind myself that I am worth it, I also want to see how my psoriasis responds to a food intake overhaul.  So far So good, day 6 1/2 done!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One question (before I go meal plan):

Is anyone else having heartburn?

I made homemade tomato sauce and had it over ground beef, with roasted sweet potatoes on the side, back on my day 1. I woke up with heartburn the next morning and assumed it was the tomatoes. So I let my kids finish the tomato sauce. (They had it over pasta.)

My heartburn did slowly go away. I figured my body was recovering from the tomatoes. (I used to eat tomatoes, but I hadn't for a year or more. No particular reason. I'm just not that fond of them.) But now, as I type here my heartburn has come roaring back. I had 3 fried eggs (in clarified butter) and 5 "coins" of fried parsnip (also in clarified butter) for breakfast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Jessica NG said:

One question (before I go meal plan):

Is anyone else having heartburn?

I made homemade tomato sauce and had it over ground beef, with roasted sweet potatoes on the side, back on my day 1. I woke up with heartburn the next morning and assumed it was the tomatoes. So I let my kids finish the tomato sauce. (They had it over pasta.)

My heartburn did slowly go away. I figured my body was recovering from the tomatoes. (I used to eat tomatoes, but I hadn't for a year or more. No particular reason. I'm just not that fond of them.) But now, as I type here my heartburn has come roaring back. I had 3 fried eggs (in clarified butter) and 5 "coins" of fried parsnip (also in clarified butter) for breakfast.

Are you prone to heartburn? If you are, I think it's possible that any meaningful changes in your diet could trigger heartburn. Tomatoes are acidic so if you're not used to eating them that could definitely trigger heartburn. 

If the heartburn doesn't go away in a couple of days you might want to ask your doctor for advice. 

Hope you feel better soon!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jessica NG said:

Thanks for the welcome, Alice! My other fear was that I would post here and nobody would notice or reply. ;)

Is there a way to respond to individual posts? It looks like a few people have done that, but I can't figure out how they did it. I'm just seeing the open text box at the bottom of the page. Sorry if I'm being dense!

My family (husband plus two 14-year-olds [boy-girl twins]) are totally NOT doing this Whole30 with me. So there are loads of non-compliant foods in the house, but it is the milk that really tempts me. I need to do some meal planning today, since the plan I'd made went through Friday. And it worked! But now I need plans for the next few days!

You can use the 'quote' button below the post you want to reply to so that the previous post shows up in your reply... then just type outside the box for your post.

You can also @ people by using the @ sign and the person's user name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Change30 said:

Are you prone to heartburn? If you are, I think it's possible that any meaningful changes in your diet could trigger heartburn. Tomatoes are acidic so if you're not used to eating them that could definitely trigger heartburn. 

If the heartburn doesn't go away in a couple of days you might want to ask your doctor for advice. 

Hope you feel better soon!

 

Thanks, Change30.

I'm not prone to heartburn. The last time I had it was in 2004, when H. pylori had colonized my stomach. The antibiotics to get rid of it were fierce, because my kids were only 2 and were still breastfeeding. I'm allergic to sulfa drugs, and my son was allergic to amoxicillin, so I had to do the most painful regimen of antibiotics available (one that has neither sulfa nor a penicillin relation in it).

I *hope* this is not that! What are the chances that H.pylori would get me at the same time I started my Whole30? Surely that's pretty unlikely. I hope.

Maybe it was the plantain this morning. I've only had plantain perhaps half a dozen times n my life. Maybe it does not agree with me? Guess I'll find out, but my stomach is very ouchie right now.

I just finished making more mayonnaise. I *love* the stuff. (And I took a chuck roast out of the freezer for tomorrow's dinner.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MizRik said:

Officially day SIX for me!! I seriously want a nap today! Cravings are better, bloating is about the same. I don't want to kill anyone. Overall, I would say I am doing pretty darn good! :) 

Congrats on a good day 6, Mizrik! I'm really glad you started this thread, 'cause I definitely need company while I do this. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MizRik said:

@Jessica NG  I am also the only one in my house doing this so there is a ton of temptation and non-compliant foods around. So far I am doing good! Fingers crossed I am able to stay strong!

Glad I'm not the only one with a house full of non-compliant food and people eating non-compliant food. I suspect that days 10 and 11 will be tough! But one day at a time. Today is day 6, and I've stayed with the rules so far. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest, I mostly stick to this thread. If you have a question we don't know, a moderator will pop in and answer it for us. There's nothing wrong with popping around, but  it's good to build friendships with a few consistent folks who will be looking for you if they haven't heard from you. Also, you start to feel some accountability to your friends and you don't want to let them down by going off the plan, even when you wouldn't do it for yourself :) 

Welcome, Jessica! I admire your workout routine!  I finally made it outside for a walk today. I like to exercise, but I have to overcome the inertia and get back on track. The extra weight I'm carrying makes my hips and shoulders sore, so I look forward to feeling better. Evenings are my biggest temptation, too.

I usually just do one or two posts a day, and address them to individuals if I have something specific to say, and then add some commentary on my own day.

I was shocked today at how much energy I had! Not tiger blood, maybe, but I got a TON of work done, and also 5 loads of laundry, some housework, and I'm teaching my 16 year old boy some cooking skills, so we made dinner together.  No matter how much I get done in a day, I always feel like it wasn't enough. Today I feel really good about all that I've accomplished!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Change30 said:

Does anyone know someplace not fancy where I can get coconut aminos? TIA!

Change 30, I just checked online at Vitamin Shoppe and they are $5 there.

Rik, I feel bloated, too. It should pass, and I am also so glad to have 6 days under our belts. I can't believe how much different I feel already!

Jessica, I'm glad you found a good mayo recipe :) For a new group there has been very little mayo discussion here!  I love that, and then my only trip I do to Whole Foods is for TessaMae salad dressing. It costs a bar of gold, but for me, it's worth it to have a tasty dressing that is compliant.

My 16 year old is not on Whole 30. Right now I'm ok with it, but I think I'm going to go through the cupboards tomorrow and make one shelf just for him so I won't be tempted when I'm feeling vulnerable.

I'm jazzed to be in this group, and that everyone is doing well. Thanks for checking in and keeping my motivated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jessica NG said:

Thanks, Change30.

I'm not prone to heartburn. The last time I had it was in 2004, when H. pylori had colonized my stomach. The antibiotics to get rid of it were fierce, because my kids were only 2 and were still breastfeeding. I'm allergic to sulfa drugs, and my son was allergic to amoxicillin, so I had to do the most painful regimen of antibiotics available (one that has neither sulfa nor a penicillin relation in it).

I *hope* this is not that! What are the chances that H.pylori would get me at the same time I started my Whole30? Surely that's pretty unlikely. I hope.

Maybe it was the plantain this morning. I've only had plantain perhaps half a dozen times n my life. Maybe it does not agree with me? Guess I'll find out, but my stomach is very ouchie right now.

I just finished making more mayonnaise. I *love* the stuff. (And I took a chuck roast out of the freezer for tomorrow's dinner.)

Wow, wish I loved that mayo. Followed the recipe and used avocado oil instead of extra virgin olive oil EVOO, that is. It's just sitting in my fridge. A beautiful light green colour. Sent a pic to my daughter in Calgary as I was proud of myself....she said it looked like pus!! Sorry, don't mean to offend, (she is a nurse). 

Any ideas what to do with it? Picked up a "lighter" flavoured olive oil from a so called gourmet oil shoppe today. Was thinking of adding some to it to make like a dressing for salad.  HELP!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jessica NG said:

Thanks, Change30.

I'm not prone to heartburn. The last time I had it was in 2004, when H. pylori had colonized my stomach. The antibiotics to get rid of it were fierce, because my kids were only 2 and were still breastfeeding. I'm allergic to sulfa drugs, and my son was allergic to amoxicillin, so I had to do the most painful regimen of antibiotics available (one that has neither sulfa nor a penicillin relation in it).

I *hope* this is not that! What are the chances that H.pylori would get me at the same time I started my Whole30? Surely that's pretty unlikely. I hope.

Maybe it was the plantain this morning. I've only had plantain perhaps half a dozen times n my life. Maybe it does not agree with me? Guess I'll find out, but my stomach is very ouchie right now.

I just finished making more mayonnaise. I *love* the stuff. (And I took a chuck roast out of the freezer for tomorrow's dinner.)

Let us know how you feel tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MizRik said:

@Change30 We have a store in my town that's called Sprouts. They are a whole foods type store, but 1/4 of the price. Not sure if you have one of those around you. I know you can also order some off of Amazon.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

Change 30, I just checked online at Vitamin Shoppe and they are $5 there.

Rik, I feel bloated, too. It should pass, and I am also so glad to have 6 days under our belts. I can't believe how much different I feel already!

Jessica, I'm glad you found a good mayo recipe :) For a new group there has been very little mayo discussion here!  I love that, and then my only trip I do to Whole Foods is for TessaMae salad dressing. It costs a bar of gold, but for me, it's worth it to have a tasty dressing that is compliant.

My 16 year old is not on Whole 30. Right now I'm ok with it, but I think I'm going to go through the cupboards tomorrow and make one shelf just for him so I won't be tempted when I'm feeling vulnerable.

I'm jazzed to be in this group, and that everyone is doing well. Thanks for checking in and keeping my motivated!

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 9:55 AM, CCLaymon said:

Trixie - you'll have to share what you made with us later!

Welcome Teri! So glad to have you on board with us for this journey.

Spatchcocked Turkey from Nom Nom Paleo

Crancherry Sauce also from Nom Nom 

Sweet potato sausage stuffing

Potatoes , Carrots and parsnips   

Baked apples, pumpkin pie bites

Green beans with leeks and Mushrooms 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 7 for me.  Reading all of your posts from the last two days. Sounds like everyone is doing well following the program and supporting each other!  This group is great!  I felt really good yesterday. Went for a drive to the city and did some Christmas shopping. I found that I had more energy and didn't get tempted to eat any thing off program even though there were tons of Christmas goodies all around me!   Picked up some more compliant groceries and will be cooking today and planning for the week :)

i did have one bad moment yesterday when I came home at supper time planning to have leftover fish for supper to discover my partner had already eaten half of it and had packed the other half in a container mixed with rice and soy sauce for his work lunch today!  KILL ALL THE THINGS finally reared its ugly head :o I ended up cooking a spaghetti squash (which was a first for me) and some sausage. It was good but not as good as the fish. LOL.  However I'm over it this morning and he is alive and well at work :D

Happy Sunday everyone!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AliceV said:

Avocado oil mayo.. 

Any ideas what to do with it? Picked up a "lighter" flavoured olive oil from a so called gourmet oil shoppe today. Was thinking of adding some to it to make like a dressing for salad.  HELP!

I would try making a green goddess / ranch type dressing to use it up. You should be able to get light tasting olive oil at major chains. I actually get mine at Costco or Walmart. I've made mayo with half avocado and half olive oil. I didn't enjoy it either. But the light tasting oil makes all the difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now