Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MizRik

Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

Recommended Posts

On 11/27/2016 at 8:45 PM, CCLaymon said:

AliceV, look at this nugget I just found! http://whole30.com/2014/08/mayo-ghee-sauces/  It's all kinds of sauces you can make with the mayo! :wub:

PattMcK, I never used spaghetti squash before the Whole30, however we now love it!  Here is the very favorite meal of both my husband and my son: http://paleomg.com/pistachio-pesto-chicken-pasta/  They love it when I'm on the whole30 because  we eat it once a week!

Bees, I'm so happy you made it here! Welcome aboard!

This is day 7 for me. I have had a lot of energy and focus over the last three days (I think I'm awakening from the sugar coma...) but I'm also getting a lot of sleep,          like 8-9 hours each night which is more the usual. I'm feeling better than I have in a long, long, time. The last couple of whole30's I did I couldn't quite get a forum group that I jived with. I think it's because if you start first of the month there a hundred people starting at once and you don't really get a chance to know everyone. I'm so happy that we have an active small group here! I'm glad to be on this journey with you!

love these sauce ideas - thanks for sharing!  i'm on day three.  was feeling good this am, but starting to drag this afternoon and have a bit of a headache.  am committed to doing this...but the beginning is hard because i get nervous about my resolve with so much further to go.  but i also know it gets easier with time.  glad to have all of these posts to read for support!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried to post my update like five times now and keep getting pulled away. Life has been BUSY!! 

Backtracking to night 7.... I officially had my first food dream. I dreamt of cheese. Crazy part, I'm not a huge cheese person. Sure I LOVE pizza or a good quesadilla. But just munching on cheese alone. Not for me. So the fact that my dream was all about fancy cheeses is way off base. I wish it could have been about donuts! LOL 

Day 8  was pretty uneventful except my body ached. My joints ached. My body just felt sore. For no reason. Wierd. Then overnight I had a killer cramp in my calf that woke me up. I have been eating better than every before so can't imagine my electrolytes are off. Guess I need to add a multivitamin to my daily regimen if I can find one that's approved. 

Day 9.... Today.... Feeling great!! Little more energy and even agreed to take on some extra work. I'm gonna help teach for the doctorate program I graduated from a few years back. I might be crazy! 

Hope everyone continues to do well!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MizRik said:

 

@mhemm

just double check the ingredients on the Larabars because there are one or two that are not compliant because they have peanuts etc in them. 

 

@MizRik - It seems I have become a bit obsessive about checking labels.  Once I discovered some of the more surprising places sugar hides(bacon!?!?!?), I decided I better check everything!  Thanks for the reminder!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad day 9 is almost over. It was totally stressful for me, not because of the Whole30, but due to some things I had to sort out on behalf of my son and his school. I did them well, but I STRESSED.

My lovely husband purchased some Larabars for me - what a sweetie - because I hadn't told him that I'd changed my mind after learning their ingredients. Yikes! And now I find myself craving those Larabars, even though I've never even tasted one. I think I am going to ask him to hide them from me.

I made a fresh batch of bone broth today and then sauteed parsnips, carrots, rutabagas, celery, and onion to put in it. I added the leftover ground lamb (from last night) as well. My husband and son said it was delicious. I thought so, too. My daughter was so grouchy that she refused to have any at all, but she did drink a big mug of the plain broth.

I'm sure my stressful day is contributing to my longing for Larabars. Ugh! Time to go ask the husband to hide them. This is totally a craving and *not* hunger.

The mild heartburn is still present. I am not going to think about when it will go. If it takes another 10 days (or more) so be it. I just have to take this one day at a time. But I still feel like moaning - not due to the physical discomfort, but due to feeling sad and some residual anxiety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jessica NG said:

I'm glad day 9 is almost over. It was totally stressful for me, not because of the Whole30, but due to some things I had to sort out on behalf of my son and his school. I did them well, but I STRESSED.

My lovely husband purchased some Larabars for me - what a sweetie - because I hadn't told him that I'd changed my mind after learning their ingredients. Yikes! And now I find myself craving those Larabars, even though I've never even tasted one. I think I am going to ask him to hide them from me.

I made a fresh batch of bone broth today and then sauteed parsnips, carrots, rutabagas, celery, and onion to put in it. I added the leftover ground lamb (from last night) as well. My husband and son said it was delicious. I thought so, too. My daughter was so grouchy that she refused to have any at all, but she did drink a big mug of the plain broth.

I'm sure my stressful day is contributing to my longing for Larabars. Ugh! Time to go ask the husband to hide them. This is totally a craving and *not* hunger.

The mild heartburn is still present. I am not going to think about when it will go. If it takes another 10 days (or more) so be it. I just have to take this one day at a time. But I still feel like moaning - not due to the physical discomfort, but due to feeling sad and some residual anxiety.

Sorry I mentioned the larabars :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To clarify. The first time I did the whole30 I had used larabars to prevent myself from falling face first into an entire cake. I know they are not 100% a good idea but I felt they were a better option than the cake.  This time around I actually haven't had a single one,  even though I have a drawer full of them. I havent even wanted one. 

I have had I think three rxbars. I keep them handy as they not only have fruit, but protein as well. One was a last minute crap running out the door breakfast the other day. The other two were actually today. Same thing. Life suddenly turned upside down busy and I ate one running out the door. The other I ate running around the city 5 hours later. Trust me. I know that's not ideal, but it kept me from hitting McDonald's.

I apologize to anyone I may have mislead or set up for a poor decision by leading them to think  these items were a go to all the time choice. It's not by any means what I meant. 

I really am sorry. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MizRik said:

To clarify. The first time I did the whole30 I had used larabars to prevent myself from falling face first into an entire cake. I know they are not 100% a good idea but I felt they were a better option than the cake.  This time around I actually haven't had a single one,  even though I have a drawer full of them. I havent even wanted one. 

I have had I think three rxbars. I keep them handy as they not only have fruit, but protein as well. One was a last minute crap running out the door breakfast the other day. The other two were actually today. Same thing. Life suddenly turned upside down busy and I ate one running out the door. The other I ate running around the city 5 hours later. Trust me. I know that's not ideal, but it kept me from hitting McDonald's.

I apologize to anyone I may have mislead or set up for a poor decision by leading them to think  these items were a go to all the time choice. It's not by any means what I meant. 

I really am sorry. :unsure:

No worries, Rikki. I am responsible for what I eat, not you. And it was my responsibility to let my husband know that I had more information and had changed my mind. I'm just grateful the moderators popped in to give the bigger picture - which is presumably part of why this site has moderators - to help us out in this way and others. :)

Sounds like the rxbars may be a better choice for portable protein at my in-laws. I realize that it would be best for me to make a mini-meal and bring it. The thing is, we are *always* running late when we head for the in-laws, and I think it is a better to plan to bring Epic jerky and something like rxbars, because I *know* I can do that. And will do that, if it is my plan. The BYO mini-meal is ambitious enough that I could fail at it under the pressure that I know I will feel.

I'm a little worried about the ingredients of the rxbars. The protein is egg white, right. I know the Whole 30 book speaks of egg white as easy to digest, but I had always understood that it was *harder* to digest than the egg yolk. Now I could be misinformed, but that's the source of my worry. Luckily I still have 2 weeks to get more info.

And I think I am *glad* you brought up the Larabars, because now I have good info regarding them, and can make a reasoned and timely choice. (Not to bring them, that is.)

Btw, my craving is subsiding. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

Good morning, gang!

Challenge of the day: post a compliant Whole 30 recipe you like or would like to try. If you've tried it, how did it go?

Here's mine: Eggplant Ricotta Stacks

This is made with "ricotta cheese," and I put that in quotes because, obviously it's not ricotta. It's made from macadamia nuts. Does is taste like ricotta? As a NJ girl, I will tell you no. BUT, it's tastes pretty darn good!!

The recipe is originally from NomNomPaleo.com.  Word of caution for the new folks - paleo is not always Whole30 compliant, so be sure to read the recipes. That being said, Michelle Tam (at NomNom) has a LOT of compliant recipes.

Be sure to give this one a try!

This recipe, while it looks delicious is treading dangerously close to SWYPO with the 'cheese' substitute.  Not to mention that nuts are suggested to be limited... limited being a closed handful every other day at most... this would quickly exceed that recommendation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

This recipe, while it looks delicious is treading dangerously close to SWYPO with the 'cheese' substitute.  Not to mention that nuts are suggested to be limited... limited being a closed handful every other day at most... this would quickly exceed that recommendation.

May I ask what SWYPO means?

I won't be trying the recipe, because I am avoiding tomatoes right now, but I'm new to the Whole30 and trying to learn. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jessica NG said:

May I ask what SWYPO means?

I won't be trying the recipe, because I am avoiding tomatoes right now, but I'm new to the Whole30 and trying to learn. Thanks!

Never mind. I just Googled and found a post on the Whole 30 blog about it. I am reading it now.

FYI: http://whole30.com/2011/10/sex-with-your-pants-on/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

Good morning, gang!

Challenge of the day: post a compliant Whole 30 recipe you like or would like to try. If you've tried it, how did it go?

@CCLaymon

I don't have a specific recipe, but a favorite go-to over the last 9 days has been sausage and sweet potatoes.  For example, tonight I shredded a couple sweet potatoes tossed them into a pan of EVOO and sprinkled with cinnamon.  Then I sliced up some Aidell's chicken & apple sausage and tossed that in.  YUM!!!  I've also been picking up veggie trays on my way to work for a super-easy lunch.  I have pre-ordered the recipe book and am looking forward to its arrival, but really haven't used many recipes from the original book!:o

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sugarcube, thanks for your input on the eggplant dish. I guess since it doesn't actually taste like cheese I didn't find it dangerous, but I understand and agree about too many nuts.

Today was a little stressful with client appointments - I just got home!

Tomorrow I have an all day meeting/Christmas party. They asked about food allergies and I RSVP'd  - Don't make food for me I'm bringing my own!

There is a chocolate and wine reception afterwards, but I'm feeling pretty solid so I don't think I'll have any temptations. My cooler is already packed!

Thanks to everyone for sharing your favorite recipes. Tomorrow we hit double digits (10 days in!) and we're already 1/3 of the way home :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite recipe .... at least this week .... is actually a steak marinade. Love cooking some steaks up using this marinade and adding baked, yes I said baked veggies on the side. 

The veggies - I just make a mix of zucchini, broccoli, red potatoes, yellow squash and cauliflower, then drizzle olive oil over them and add seasonings of my choice at the moment. 

The steak - I make up a marinade of coconut aminos, minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Can't give you amounts cause I just eyeball it. It's amazing!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DAY 9- congrats to one and all!

Fasting start to my day,,,as I was having some bloods drawn. Around 10, I was at work but didn't feel like having anything. Knew I better, so avocado, hard boiled egg and some celery sticks with almond butter were the best I could do. 

Hoping to see a fasting blood sugar that reflects 8 days of whole food eating. In July, had a 6.3 for fasting so keeping my fingers and toes crossed, that my number is improved, ie.lower. Also checking for levels of inflammation in my body, as well as the rheumatoid factor. Having psoriasis predisposes you to developing a specific type of arthritis , so I am committed and towing the line with this plan, the best way I can. Becoming as healthy as I can be is definitely my goal. 

Speaking of soups, made a beet soup, also known as Barczst for those of European descent. Beets, carrots celery onions and chicken stock (compliant), adding some cider vinegar at the very end for a zing/bite. Girls at work thought I was very clever.....easy tho. Lunch included a chicken breast that was cooked in the crock pot with salsa and cumin and chili powder. 

A BIG salad for dinner.....spinach, romaine,pea shoots, red onion,peppers,tomatoes,cucumber,celery, avocado, hb egg, and some chicken bits with a homemade light olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic and salt N pepper. 

Slept poorly last night. Awakening many times. Hoping to have a sounder sleep tonight......

I am posting post it notes on my kitchen fridge every day, with the day and # of the day. So I started with DAY zero, and I have a long vertical line of diff coloured notes that visually remind me of my progress.....day 10gets posted tomorrow...whoooo  !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AliceV said:

DAY 9- congrats to one and all!

Fasting start to my day,,,as I was having some bloods drawn. Around 10, I was at work but didn't feel like having anything. Knew I better, so avocado, hard boiled egg and some celery sticks with almond butter were the best I could do. 

Hoping to see a fasting blood sugar that reflects 8 days of whole food eating. In July, had a 6.3 for fasting so keeping my fingers and toes crossed, that my number is improved, ie.lower. Also checking for levels of inflammation in my body, as well as the rheumatoid factor. Having psoriasis predisposes you to developing a specific type of arthritis , so I am committed and towing the line with this plan, the best way I can. Becoming as healthy as I can be is definitely my goal. 

Speaking of soups, made a beet soup, also known as Barczst for those of European descent. Beets, carrots celery onions and chicken stock (compliant), adding some cider vinegar at the very end for a zing/bite. Girls at work thought I was very clever.....easy tho. Lunch included a chicken breast that was cooked in the crock pot with salsa and cumin and chili powder. 

A BIG salad for dinner.....spinach, romaine,pea shoots, red onion,peppers,tomatoes,cucumber,celery, avocado, hb egg, and some chicken bits with a homemade light olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic and salt N pepper. 

Slept poorly last night. Awakening many times. Hoping to have a sounder sleep tonight......

I am posting post it notes on my kitchen fridge every day, with the day and # of the day. So I started with DAY zero, and I have a long vertical line of diff coloured notes that visually remind me of my progress.....day 10gets posted tomorrow...whoooo  !

I made up a countdown calendar and stuck it on my fridge and it feels great to "X" out a successful day each evening :)  Life has been busy here this week so I haven't posted much but am still hanging in there!   It's been snowing all week and the 30 minute highway drive to and from work has been very stressful!  Missing my glass of wine to calm my nerves when I get home .... LOL!    However, not missing it enough to cave in to the temptation!  :D  Feels AWESOME to be at Day 10!   I am starting to feel more energetic and seem to be sleeping more solidly.  Yay!    A new recipe I tried this week was the curry chicken recipe in the Whole30 book.  It was delicious!  Made up another batch of the cauliflower rice last night to get me through the week.  It's another staple that I have been using. 

Hope everyone has a great day! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love to follow this thread and read all your posts. I'm about a week behind you all (today is day 3) on my third Whole 30 adventure. I remember all the rules, and a lot of my old tricks from my previous two w30 adventures, but it's really good to connect with other people stretching their imaginations to eat healthier and more mindfully, and to see examples and ideas that I might pick up on to make like more interesting or easier.

 

Thanks, folks. I didn't want to *just* keep stalking, so thought I'd introduce myself! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like a few others I also made a calendar to keep track of where I am. Mine is filled out with the timeline info as well. I will see if I can post a pic of it. I made it multi-colored and fun to try and help keep me going. It really is rewarding to cross days off! 

IMG_7830.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Today is day 10! So far, it's flying by for me. In spite of the heartburn, which I still have, but which is mild, so bearable.

I am feeling much better today after a good night's sleep. I just did some meal planning for dinners. (I've got the breakfasts and lunches pretty well covered. I adore my scrambled or fried eggs for breakfast, with a side of fruit, and sometimes a cup of my bone broth. For lunch I adore protein salad - chicken or tuna or salmon or egg - made with my homemade mayonnaise and varying veggies.)

Tonight we're going to finish up the homemade soup with root vegetables. I'll be cooking a little extra meat to add to it.

Tomorrow will be ground beef with chimichurri sauce, with a side of broccoli, onion, mushrooms, and zucchini.

Friday will be turkey thighs and wings, with a side of green beans, red pepper, onion, and mushrooms.

I'm realizing that all the times I've eaten paleo for a while and then slipped off the wagon, with a little rice sliding in, or a little pasta, the main reason has been food boredom. It hasn't been because I suddenly develop a craving for grains. I just get so tired of eating the *same* things all the time.

This Whole30, because of the commitment aspect, is pushing me to do better meal planning. The fact that I've made a commitment and I want very much to keep that commitment, was what made me realize that ALWAYS when I've tried to be better at meal planning (I knew it was a weakness of mine), I tried to plan for 7 or 5 days at a time. And planning ahead that far just DOES NOT work for me. It never has.

So I'm doing 3 days at a time with this Whole30, and - so far - that is working.

I can imagine that after I've been steadily planning 3 days at a time, I may have gained enough skill at it to do 4. But I've got to take this meal planning thing in baby steps. :D

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings Glad you introduced yourself. Welcome!

@MizRik I love your calendar!

@PattiMcK It's great to hear that you're feeling more energetic and sleeping more soundly.

@AliceV I loved reading your update. Thank you for sharing it! I think I'm going to borrow some of your meals! The beet soup and the big salad sounded yummy! Have you gotten the results of your blood draw yet? My fingers are crossed for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to say...

I did ask my husband to hide those larabars last night, and he has done so. I have no idea where they are, and that is good.

I'm not feeling in the least tempted right now, but I never have cravings during the day. It's the evenings when they hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh! Just noticed that the site now labels me as an "advanced member." I guess 30 posts puts one over some threshold?

Yikes! I'm not advanced! Really I'm not. This is my first Whole30, and I'm learning as I go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2016 at 5:34 AM, CCLaymon said:

Good morning, gang!

Challenge of the day: post a compliant Whole 30 recipe you like or would like to try. If you've tried it, how did it go?

Here's mine: Eggplant Ricotta Stacks

This is made with "ricotta cheese," and I put that in quotes because, obviously it's not ricotta. It's made from macadamia nuts. Does is taste like ricotta? As a NJ girl, I will tell you no. BUT, it's tastes pretty darn good!!

The recipe is originally from NomNomPaleo.com.  Word of caution for the new folks - paleo is not always Whole30 compliant, so be sure to read the recipes. That being said, Michelle Tam (at NomNom) has a LOT of compliant recipes.

Be sure to give this one a try!

I don't have a specific recipe, but a favorite go-to over the last 9 days has been sausage and sweet potatoes.  For example, tonight I shredded a couple sweet potatoes tossed them into a pan of EVOO and sprinkled with cinnamon.  Then I sliced up some Aidell's chicken & apple sausage and tossed that in.  YUM!!!  I've also been picking up veggie trays on my way to work for a super-easy lunch.  I have pre-ordered the recipe book and am looking forward to its arrival, but really haven't used many recipes from the original book!:o

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites