Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MizRik

Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

Happy Wednesday, everyone!  We made it to day 10!!!:ph34r:

I have a printout of the timeline at home & on my desk at work and today I had to laugh - I had to take a picture and text it to my husband after I highlighted:

"You're cranky, you're impatient, and you're really, really tempted to just eat the stupid cheese."

My kids have been teasing me because they LOVE their ham & cheese sandwiches, I've been missing my cheese & so they keep telling me they are eating the cheese so it doesn't sit in the fridge and tempt me - LOL.  I guess - that IS a way of supporting me...:P

Still not seeing any real big changes, but slowly feeling some, I guess.  I hope this just means that I will look back in 22 days and say, "Wow, I didn't even realize I felt that bad!"  Or look in the mirror and miraculously have a collar bone and cheek bones...  I hope I'm not the only one feeling frustrated, not in a spiteful way - just feeling like this is a lot of work (it really isn't) with little pay-off.  I am way too focused on immediate results or miraculous realizations.

I am looking forward to meal-planning this weekend and trying some new recipes.  I am curious about the bone broth everyone is making - I could really use something to warm me up!  I didn't plan very well this week and am running to the grocery store for lunches of salad bar veggie piles - which is yummy, but not ideal.  I am really looking forward to getting the recipe book next week when it is released!

You guys are an awesome group & I am so happy to be a part of this forum!  Is anyone planning on doing more than 30 days?:blink:

My intention is to keep eating this way until February or so to get the good habits solidified. It's part of why I joined this particular group. To keep me going. Today is day 30 for me. But I know I need to keep going. 

@mhemm I'd been eating paleo plus local, raw milk for roughly a year, but grains would slip into my meals every 10 days or so, and I suspected that the milk (which used to work for me) had become problematic. (I'd gotten so I craved a BIG glass of milk EVERY night: sugar dragon, because of all the lactose in milk.) So I entered the Whole30 with the idea that it would catapult me into a milkless realm and help me not slip into "accidental" grains.

I have no intention of returning to milk or grains when I hit day 31, and I never liked legumes much anyway. So I'm going to continue on Whole30-ing indefinitely.

I think I will test butter (*after* day 30) to see if it's okay, or whether I really do have to stick with clarified. If unclarified creates problems, then I *will* stick with clarified, but I'd like to KNOW.

I *might* test soy sauce and miso (on a different day from the butter, of course, and with 2 days inbetween tests), because I'd like to be able to eat them when I go out to Chinese restaurants, and if they are problematic, I need to KNOW.

So, my hope is that I can eat Whole30 + butter, (occasional) soy sauce, and (occasional) miso. But I won't be adding anything else. And if any or all of those three potential test foods create problems, I will ditch them, too.

5 hours ago, Jessica NG said:

Forgot to say...

I did ask my husband to hide those larabars last night, and he has done so. I have no idea where they are, and that is good.

I'm not feeling in the least tempted right now, but I never have cravings during the day. It's the evenings when they hit.

The best thing I have found is reading and updating on this forum.....takes time and it's so interesting keeping up to date with everyone! All of YOU!

3 hours ago, IronGirlTrixie said:

My intention is to keep eating this way until February or so to get the good habits solidified. It's part of why I joined this particular group. To keep me going. Today is day 30 for me. But I know I need to keep going. 

I'm very impressed, you deserve a big bouquet of Congrats wishes!!!

@mhemm About bone broth...

Every time I roast a whole chicken, I save the bones, putting them into a plastic bag and then into the freezer.

When I have enough bones - usually 3 to 4 chickens worth - I take them out of the freezer and put them in my HUGE stock pot. I fill the pot with water and add 1/4 cup lemon juice, and let that sit for an hour. The acid in the lemon juice draws the calcium out of the bones and into the water.

After an hour, I turn on the burner to start heating the water. When it reaches a boil, I turn it down a little and start skimming the scum that rises to the top, removing these impurities. When I've gotten most of the scum and the solution is not generating any more, I add one whole onion in which I've stuck 6 whole cloves, 1 rib of celery, 1 large carrot, and a bay leaf.

I cover the pot, leaving a crack between the lid and the pot, and turn the heat down so that it just simmers. I let it simmer 6 to 8 hours. I've heard that this can be done perfectly well in a crockpot, for those who are away during the day. I work from home, so I use the stovetop.

After the stock has simmered sufficiently long, I turn off the burner and let it cool. Then I pour the stock through a strainer. Usually I make soup using about half of the stock that night. The other half I put into mason jars and stick them in the fridge. Thus, at breakfast (like today) I can pour myself some broth, heat it, add salt to taste, and have it as an accompaniment to my eggs. :D

I throw away the vegetable leavings - all their goodness has gone into the broth. I pick the chicken meat off the bones and store the meat in the fridge. It makes a to-die-for protein salad when mixed with homemade mayo, minced onion, minced apple, and minced cashews. :D

@Jessica NGno results yet, thanks for the good vibes !

wish I was a bit more savvy at this posting thing....I see I posted twice regarding DAY 9,  lol, thought I had lost it so posted again.....you could also add some chopped spinach to the soup once it's done. It will still be hot and the spinach will get kinda softened.

Hello there!

Although I'm only three days into my "sleep >8 hr/night" experiment, I'm definitely not experiencing my usual shark week cravings! :) Not entirely sure if more sleep is the ticket, but I'm happy to report that I feel great, energy-wise. No afternoon slumps! No second (or third...) cup of coffee! :D 

Here's a recipe I made this week:

Slow Cooker Greek-Style Green Beans and Chicken Thighs

Also, not to belabor the discussion... but I highly recommend RXBars over Larabars. Without a doubt, eating a Larabar always makes me crave more sugar throughout the day...whereas eating an RXBar doesn't.  Just my personal experience. 

Happy Day 10! 

Jen

Hello gang!

I've had a long day and I'm super tired but I wanted to do a quick check in!

Welcome Crunchy and WOO HOO Trixie - what an awesome accomplishment to finish day 30!

Rikki I also love your calendar and the great anticipation for TIGER BLOOD!!

Jessica - a big thank you for the bone broth tutorial - I've never made it. You really ARE advanced ;)

I was at my all day goal setting meeting/mastermind today. I packed my own food, but I'm always so worried that I might be hungry (the horrors!) that I really overpacked, and hardly ate what I had taken. I could have lasted for two days, LOL! At the end they had a wine and chocolate party. I drank my seltzer, and then left early. It wasn't a problem, but why tempt fate?

I'm going to be up early tomorrow at 4am to get my husband from the airport. Therefore, it's off to bed for me. Hooray for Day 10!

@JisforJennifer Thanks for the Greek style green beans and chicken thighs recipe. It looks yummy!

I think I need to learn how to cut a whole uncooked chicken into pieces, because we get our poultry from a local farmer who runs his farm along Polyface principles, so I never have chicken *parts* (only whole chickens) and so many recipes call for them. I *love* roast chicken, but not cooking chicken in other ways contributed to my food boredom in the past. Sooo...it's time I acquired a new skill. I think I will look on You Tube to see if there might be an expert demonstrating exactly how you do it, because I feel very intimidated. But I would love to be able to cook some of those recipes that require chicken parts. :D

1 minute ago, Jessica NG said:

@JisforJennifer Thanks for the Greek style green beans and chicken thighs recipe. It looks yummy!

I think I need to learn how to cut a whole uncooked chicken into pieces, because we get our poultry from a local farmer who runs his farm along Polyface principles, so I never have chicken *parts* (only whole chickens) and so many recipes call for them. I *love* roast chicken, but not cooking chicken in other ways contributed to my food boredom in the past. Sooo...it's time I acquired a new skill. I think I will look on You Tube to see if there might be an expert demonstrating exactly how you do it, because I feel very intimidated. But I would love to be able to cook some of those recipes that require chicken parts. :D

I've used the tutorial from the New York Times. But there are a number of youtube videos. It's surprisingly easy to do! 

Hi gang!

You all are coming up on midway through your Whole30 and here I am, a latecomer to your party - but this particular group is calling to me for a couple reasons: first, CCLaymon is in it and we go WAY BACK to the Dirty 30 group of summer 2014!!!  She is fabulous and I want to go to whatever party she is at.  :-). Second, it sounds like several of you are ready to tackle a W30 that takes you through the holidays and perhaps beyond 30 days, and that's what I'm taking on.  Do you mind if I tag along, even though you're a couple weeks ahead of me?

Background on me:  I have done several W30's and shorter resets a bunch of times, most successfully in 2014 with a particularly active and close-knit forum group.  There are quite a few W30 eating habits I've adapted along the way that have become fully ingrained new habits, and I'm thrilled about that!  That said, 2016 was a tough year for me and I felt like a lot of my hard work over the last years has gradually unraveled.  Whole30 and other healthy habits got me to the point where I was an athlete again, running half marathons after years of zero exercise, thinking about training for even longer distances... but this year I had a series of injuries that kept me from running, that made me depressed, that made me eat more, that made me gain weight, that made me more depressed, that made me lose interest in self care, and so on. 2016 can suck it.  But I want to run headlong into 2017 with some good positive momentum and get back to the really energized, motivated, positive place that I was.  So - mind if I join you?  I make a mean bone broth!

11 hours ago, MizRik said:

@mhemm  my plans are to complete 30 days, enjoy Christmas and then start again on January 2nd. Maybe even doing a whole 60 at that point. 

That's a brilliant idea. I'm going to do the same!  I'll have completed my Whole 30 on Dec 22nd. I'll be off for the holidays and then start again on Jan 2. 

@Jessica NG let me know if you find a good chicken cutting video! I've been wanting to learn that, too.

@higs YAAAYYYYY!!!  So glad to have you here! Gang, Higs is an adventurous eater and is a great encourager, and I always learn so much from her!

@Laurie I think I see you, too, so come back for a reunion so we can love on you :D

I'm planning to go straight through the holidays so I am not feeling so blah on January 1.

Today is my first restaurant day on this Whole 30, which always give me some anxiety. It's only Panera, but that's not such a flexible place to eat, either. I've done my research, I have a plan A, B, and C (all of which include bringing my own salad dressing) and if they can't accommodate any of those, I'll just eat when I get home. I'm feeling too good to get derailed now!

Have a great day!

I recently starting feeling really guilty about my lack of perfection. For example my day of an Rxbar for breakfast and another for lunch the other day. Feeling a little as if I had failed. My life got crazy and I did what I had to do to keep going. But I felt bad for it. Especially since the recent postings made those items feel kinda off limits and evil. 

Nothing that has crossed my lips has been non-compliant, but I still felt like I screwed up. 

Then I seen this .....

http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

It was posted on Instagram this morning and it couldn't have come at a better time!! 

Im back to feeling like I'm rocking this! Bring it whole30!! :D

@MizRik Great article; thanks for the link. And you are totally rocking this, Rikki! :D

@higs Glad you are joining us. Welcome to this thread!

@AliceV Don't worry about that inadvertent double post a few days ago. Everybody posting anywhere online has done that at least once.

Today is day 11 - wow!

I am feeling anxious, not about the Whole30, but just anxious in general, worried that "the other shoe will drop," even though I could not tell what the first shoe was, if there was one. I find this interesting, because I wonder if my old milk habit was masking anxiety. My current state is uncomfortable, but bearable. The mild heartburn continues, and it may also be a contributing factor in the anxiety. I suspect having heartburn for 10 days might make anyone a little anxious. ;)

I have my annual physical exam on December 13, so I will ask my doctor about the heartburn, if it is still present then.

The nurse at the office will, of course, have me hop on the scale. I suppose I could simply not look at the number, but since I will probably be discussing the Whole30 with my doctor, I think I need to know what the scale said, so that I can discuss intelligently. (I have had *no* trouble staying off the scale at home. While I would *love* to lose weight, I cannot count on it, and I don't want to bum myself out by confirming that - indeed - I have not lost weight. I'm going to put off that particular piece of bad news as long as I can!)

Jessica NG Thanks for posting that broth recipe!  I will definitely be trying it :)

My plan is to complete this Whole30, enjoy the holidays (in moderation, of course!), and make a plan for January.  Not sure if I will do another true Whole30 or a modification of it.  Will see how I feel in the new year. 

Yesterday was probably my hardest day so far .... just like the timeline predicted!  Was feeling down last evening and 20 more days seemed like such a long time to go.  However, today, after a good night's sleep and reading all your posts I am feeling much better :)  This group is truly an awesome support system!   I enjoy reading everyone's posts even if I don't have time to reply.    I'm going to try some new recipes this weekend to help lessen food boredom which I was starting to feel yesterday.  I think my clothes are fitting better today, so I'm hoping that continues to where I am sure they are and I'm not just imagining it :lol:  Normally, I would do my Christmas baking this weekend, but I am putting it off until the last minute on the 20th AND greatly reducing the quantity! 

Happy Day 11 or whatever day of this journey you are on! :D

@MizRik, I'm so glad you found that post. There's nothing worse than working as hard as we are, and then feeling like it's still not enough. You ARE a rock star!

@Jessica NG I know my first response to anxiety is to eat, or to have a big sugary coffee, so it's not surprising you are feeling anxious with our trusty milk as a stand by. It sound like you are doing really great getting through those moments. I know I need to start meditating, even it's briefly. I need a sound long term strategy to navigate those moments.

@PattiMcK So glad you're feeling encouraged today!

I did go to Panera today, but I didn't eat, even though it was a lunch meeting. I get myself worked up about how crazy people will think I am, and then they're like, "OK, no big deal."

I've mentioned before that I don't think there's enough mayo talk going on here, LOL!  Well, I've tried dozens of mayo recipes and all are quite fine, but this one is my favorite: http://www.food.com/recipe/best-ever-homemade-mayonnaise-207860

Obviously I use olive oil instead of vegetable oil. So there's one to try if haven't yet!

My final plug for today...  I'm reading Melissa's new book, Food Freedom Forever. I've read her other books, so I didn't really expect anything new, but I have to tell you, I'm finding it VERY encouraging! So if you haven't picked up a copy, do that and then read a little each day. it's really strengthening my resolve. (Disclaimer: I did not get paid for that endorsement :D)

16 minutes ago, CCLaymon said:

My final plug for today...  I'm reading Melissa's new book, Food Freedom Forever. I've read her other books, so I didn't really expect anything new, but I have to tell you, I'm finding it VERY encouraging! So if you haven't picked up a copy, do that and then read a little each day. it's really strengthening my resolve. (Disclaimer: I did not get paid for that endorsement

Thanks for the recommendation. I've just bought The Whole 30 and It Starts With Food. Was wondering if the new book had anything new and different. I guess it needs to go onto my Wish list now.

I was amazed and happy this evening, because my husband and daughter *both* really liked the chimichurri sauce (p. 306 in Whole30) I made to have over the ground beef we had for dinner. *And* they both really liked the vegetable melange (p. 264 in Whole30) I made as well: mushrooms, minced onion (just one quarter of an onion), zucchini, and broccoli. I liked our meal, too.

So often, when I try something new, no one but me likes it, which is discouraging. But tonight's meal was a total success. I put aside some plain broccoli for my son, and was not surprised when he preferred it over the melange, nor when he declined to have sauce on his meat. He has sensory integration disorder, which means his brain does not process sensory information the way most people's brains do.

I think I had an NSV when I went swimming this afternoon. I usually buy two swimsuits at the same time, wear one for 6 months (by which time it is worn out), and then switch to the second suit. So today I switched to the second suit. And as I glimpsed myself walking by the locker room mirror, I felt like I looked *fabulous.* ;) Firmer. More shapely. It felt good.

@CCLaymon Congrats on your restaurant meeting! Go, you!

@Jessica NG  ooo... That does sound tasty I might have to look that up! 

Today was day 31 for me. I had a few dairy items...  not a lot. Can I say, they so don't agree with me? Back to plan tomorrow. Lord help me at this conference tomorrow. I'm gonna need to pack something for lunch to be on the safe side. 

12 hours ago, MizRik said:

I recently starting feeling really guilty about my lack of perfection. For example my day of an Rxbar for breakfast and another for lunch the other day. Feeling a little as if I had failed. My life got crazy and I did what I had to do to keep going. But I felt bad for it. Especially since the recent postings made those items feel kinda off limits and evil. 

Nothing that has crossed my lips has been non-compliant, but I still felt like I screwed up. 

Then I seen this .....

http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

It was posted on Instagram this morning and it couldn't have come at a better time!! 

Im back to feeling like I'm rocking this! Bring it whole30!! :D

@MizRik Thank you for sharing this!  Put me in a better place mentally - I needed that!

I am definitely a stress eater and this has been a RoUgH week.  My meal planning wasn't done well this week because I slept all weekend, on top of work stress - could have been a recipe for disaster.   It's been extremely hard to stay compliant, but I have!  Even made it through a pot luck staff meeting tonight!:huh:  

@Silver Penguin The new book, at least so far, is really about the mindset of the program, not as much about the food and the rules. It was just what I needed right now.

@Jessica NG Anytime you feel good in a bathing suit - THAT is a victory!  I have been surprised over and over how much son likes Whole 30 recipes. I think we just eat so much processed food, that it makes real food taste even better. He was never a big veg eater, but if I'm using fresh veg instead of frozen, he'll eat them right up! Even brussels sprouts!!

@IronGirlTrixie I guess it's a blessing to figure out the problem areas so soon!  I am on board with packing food for a while at meetings etc. It's just easier for me.

And a NSV for @mhemm!  Making it through a potluck dinner is definitely a win!

Today I have a lunch meeting at a fancy steak place. I looked at the menu, and I definitely think I can make it work. I'm going to take some dressing for a salad, but otherwise I'm going to try ordering off the menu and giving lots of direction to the waitress!

Hello Day 12!