Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

MizRik

@Jessica NG  I'd  move the milk out of visual range when you open the fridge if you can. Out of sight out of mind... 

@MizRik if you're still feeling bloated and you've been eating more cruciferous veggies than you used to be and/or more nuts, that could be adding to the situation. Maybe dial back a few and see if that helps. It's all an experiment! 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I woke up, my heartburn was still present, but at a lower (bearable) level. I did a Google search last night on "Whole30 forum heartburn" and found 4 different threads about it, so apparently others have encountered this. I'm going to the store to get some Bragg apple cider vinegar today (after I go swim at the gym), and I will try 1 tablespoon of vinegar in water immediately after my next meal to see if that helps.

My sugar dragon was not as strong last night. Yay! Still present and still roaring, but not as loud. LOL. I did the "envision steamed fish and broccoli" test and realized that I would totally eat it if it were set before me. In fact, I was hungry! So I fixed some leftover T-giving turkey and butternut squash-carrot puree and ate it, accompanied by about 1/4 cup of kombucha. That mini-meal did the trick.

This morning I sauteed a spoonful of minced onion in clarified butter and then added 3 beaten eggs to make a scramble. I had 2 pear halves with a dollop of coconut cream on them on the side. Breakfast was yummy, and my heartburn (so far) is the same as when I woke up - it's not gotten worse. Which is a relief.

I'm about to head out now for the gym and the store run for the Bragg vinegar and a few other food items.

Hi all - I hope it's ok for me to join this group. I started on 11/20. Day 8 today!! Four and five (and maybe 6) have been the hardest and grumpiest days so far but I'm here and rocking and rolling.

Reasons for doing this? All my life I've battled ups and downs with weight. On top of pure genetics, I was sexually abused from first through fourth grade, drug addiction, physical, mental, emotional abuse from a bad marriage, etc. etc. etc. I'm way far from victimology though. Way over that. I'm actually at a point in my life where I can look back at all of the experiences I've been through and feel thankful for them. I am empathetic and can truly connect with others going through similar experiences. I'm a survivor and can use the challenges I've overcome to help others.... and myself. So... drugs, cigarettes, and Diet Pepsi are things of the past.

The one thing that lingers for me is my incredibly unhealthy relationship with food. I've used it for all the wrong reasons over the course of my life. It's time. I know this become when I read the Whole30, researched the website, the FB page, Instagram, forums, etc. everything clicked. I'm ready.

Here I am in all my glory. I started this journey overweight, out of energy, just two weeks after being diagnosed with stage I hypertension, dependent on medication to sleep at night, teeth grinding, and feeling like crap most of the time. Though you would never know this by looking at my FB profile. :)

Today, day 8... I haven't taken anything at all to sleep in 8 days and I feel really great about that! I feel hopeful and most moments (wink) I feel in control. I've alway hated cooking, but today I look at it as a challenge and it's really quite enjoyable. I feel a little more clear headed, though I've had some pretty spacey bouts this last week. I know this is good. My body, mind, and spirit are coming together and I can feel it. I'm really thankful that Melissa and Dallas Hartwig have shared this program.

Another positive, my husband has been a type I diabetic for almost 47 years. He's on an insulin pump and his blood sugars have been so consistently awesome for the entire 8 days. He's only taken one bolus. Wow! 

Sorry for the book... but I'm so thankful to be on this journey with you all!

Be healthy and well - B

Hope everyone is doing well on the final countdown of Thanksgiving weekend.

I've been surprisingly ok until today, Day 6. I made a Trader Joe's run and today the foods that are non-compliant called out to me. Ignored the call. Got home and ate a good compliant lunch. Was having sugar cravings that wouldn't go away. Dropped my daughter off where she needed to go and came home still craving sugar. Made some tea, ate some unsulfured, unsweetened dried apricots and had some almond butter. 

Feeling kind of low. 

: (

@AliceV I made some mayo the other day with extra light tasting oil and it wasn't too bad. I have actually made it with avocado oil in the past and liked that one better. Too funny that your daughter thinks it looks like pus!! I'm in the medical field as well and cant help but giggle over that one.

As for what you could do with it, try making an egg salad. The flavor from the eggs should overpower the flavor from the oil. The color of the eggs should also mute out the gross pus color. LOL

I actually hard boil eggs, toss three in a bowl, dice it up, add a tablespoon of the homemade mayo and a little pepper then eat it for breakfast.

8 hours ago, PattiMcK said:

Day 7 for me.  Reading all of your posts from the last two days. Sounds like everyone is doing well following the program and supporting each other!  This group is great!  I felt really good yesterday. Went for a drive to the city and did some Christmas shopping. I found that I had more energy and didn't get tempted to eat any thing off program even though there were tons of Christmas goodies all around me!   Picked up some more compliant groceries and will be cooking today and planning for the week :)

i did have one bad moment yesterday when I came home at supper time planning to have leftover fish for supper to discover my partner had already eaten half of it and had packed the other half in a container mixed with rice and soy sauce for his work lunch today!  KILL ALL THE THINGS finally reared its ugly head :o I ended up cooking a spaghetti squash (which was a first for me) and some sausage. It was good but not as good as the fish. LOL.  However I'm over it this morning and he is alive and well at work :D

Happy Sunday everyone!

@PattiMcK .... HAHAHA... Sorry about your lost fish, but I am glad to hear your partner survived. KILL ALL THE THINGS finally hit me late at night on day 5. My kids are lucky that they survived! :D It was gone by the next morning thank goodness.

Today is day #7 for me! Amazed that a week has gone by already! Today I am just exhausted. I am not sure if that's because its where I happen to be in the whole30 timeline or if its just my normal baseline lack of energy. I am ALWAYS tired. Its one of the biggest reasons I started this journey! I am tired of always being tired! Hoping I get some energy before too long. Bloating is feeling a little better. This may be a little TMI for some people but I found the first time I did the whole30 I got constipated pretty quick. Since then I have used a magnesium supplement that I think may have been suggested in the book?? I think Melissa actually uses it? It helps me sleep to amazingly enough. Its called Natural Calm. I take a spoonful every night and not only does it help my belly but I sleep better. You can pick it up almost anywhere I think or you can order it off amazon.

Hope everyone else is hanging in there!

@Change30  I am sorry to hear your having a rough day. Hang in there!! It really does get easier and better as time goes on. I know you are not really supposed to snack when your getting  cravings because it just reinforces them, but occasionally I have to do something to prevent from totally falling off the wagon. When I have those moments my favorite go-to whole30 approved snack is an Rxbar. You can order them on amazon or pick them up from places like whole foods and trader joes.  There are also larabars. I like the Rxbars better though because they actually have protein in them.

You got this!!

I didn't get back from the gym and shopping until around 4 pm, so my lunch was very late: protein salad of tuna with minced apple, onion, celery, cashews, and homemade mayonnaise. I went ahead and downed one tablespoon of Bragg apple cider vinegar after eating as I'd planned, but now I rather wish I hadn't.

My heartburn has gotten less and less as I swam, which delighted me. I'd been worried because of the horizontal position required. So I was really happy that proved not to be a problem. Plus it was great to have my stomach feeling better.

I didn't feel like I needed the ACV - the heartburn was on its way out. But it wasn't gone. And I wondered if it was, indeed, caused by not *enough* stomach acid. So I went ahead with my plan. The ACV (with water) felt okay going down, but a mere 60 seconds later, the heartburn had increased to a very uncomfortable level, and my stomach really hurts now. Not as much as it did yesterday afternoon, but it doesn't feel good. I will observe how I feel as the evening progresses, but I don't think I'm going to be swallowing more ACV after dinner. I'll just eat dinner and let my poor stomach alone.

Day 7 almost over. No sugar dragon roars all day, but evening is usually the time for that, so we shall see. ;)

Btw: I was amazed at how much energy I had after swimming. Previously - before starting the Whole 30 - I would have run out of steam in the middle of Kroger. Today, I didn't. Nor did I run out when I went to WholeFoods and picked up a few more things. Nor did I lack energy for fixing my late lunch and getting the chuck roast (over a bed of onions, celery, and carrots) in the oven. I think this must be my first small victory. Yay!

1 hour ago, MizRik said:

Sorry for all my crazy separate posts! I reply from my phone half the time and its too hard to scroll around in circles to remember who all I want to reply to. Promise to start streamlining them into one post eventually. LOL

Rikki, I like your string of separate posts. It avoids the "wall of text," which can be daunting. Unless it's bugging others, I think you should just keep doing what works best for you. IMO.

As I read through the posts above, it looked like several of us prefer milder mayonnaise. Everyone will be different, of course, but i happen to be one who likes my mayo with a stronger flavor. In case there is anyone with tastes similar to mine, I thought I'd share the recipe I'm using (which I love). YMMV.

1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon prepared mustard (check the fine print!)
1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Since I keep my eggs in the fridge, the first thing I do is take two out and put them each in a tea mug full of hot tap water to warm them up. Then I assemble all the other ingredients and my tools. Right now, with cool temperatures, I have to warm the coconut oil, because it is solid at room temperature.

Next, I put the lemon juice, mustard, and sea salt in the food processor. Then I separate one of the eggs and put the yolk in the processor. Then I put the other (whole) egg in. Then I process for 30 seconds.

Then I start drizzling the various oils in as the processor runs. And then it is ready! ;)

2 hours ago, MizRik said:

@Change30  I am sorry to hear your having a rough day. Hang in there!! It really does get easier and better as time goes on. I know you are not really supposed to snack when your getting  cravings because it just reinforces them, but occasionally I have to do something to prevent from totally falling off the wagon. When I have those moments my favorite go-to whole30 approved snack is an Rxbar. You can order them on amazon or pick them up from places like whole foods and trader joes.  There are also larabars. I like the Rxbars better though because they actually have protein in them.

You got this!!

Thanks, MizRik for the advice and the support. I'm going to prioritize staying with on plan foods and deal with everything else as it comes. 

On 11/23/2016 at 11:19 PM, ShannonM816 said:

You don't need to be hungry.

It sounds like you're pretty active in general, so be sure that when you eat, you're making most of your meals meet the upper end of the meal template ranges (go for 2 palm-sized portions of protein, 2 servings of fat). Your meals should be keeping you satisfied 4-5 hours at at a time, if they're not, you need to work on making them larger. We generally recommend that most people have at least one fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable each day (like potato, sweet potato, winter squashes like acorn or butternut, root veggies like carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, beets), so if you're not already doing that, do that, and if you are already doing that, it's okay if you want to try having an extra serving (or more) each day -- try different amounts and see what works for you. When you do actually work out, be sure you have pre- and post-workout meals in addition to your three meals. Pre-workout is mostly important if you're working out first thing in the morning (you want to eat something within an hour of waking up) but may not be necessary if you're working out in the middle of the day and it's only been an hour or two since you ate. Post-workout is for recovery, and is more important, especially if you're doing any kind of strength training.

Thanks for the words of wisdom! :) I think larger meals may be the ticket... I found myself far less hungry at my parents' house the past couple of days. Granted, I was also far less active (:(), but I did eat slightly larger meals, including at least one serving of starchy vegetables. I normally exercise in the mornings, so breakfast constitutes my preworkout meal. I usually have a postworkout snack (egg, nuts, or RXbar), but I might try and beef that up too.

Glad to hear we're all hanging in there! :)

I've felt rather worn out since Friday... currently trying (with little success) to be patient with myself and just relax a little. Worried about the next couple of days--I know I tend to eat processed, sugary snacks and treats when I feel particularly exhausted mid-shark week. So, every night this week I'm shooting for a full eight hours of uninterrupted sleep (even if I need to be in bed at 9 PM), in the hopes that it will diminish my usual cravings. :/

AliceV, look at this nugget I just found! http://whole30.com/2014/08/mayo-ghee-sauces/  It's all kinds of sauces you can make with the mayo! :wub:

PattMcK, I never used spaghetti squash before the Whole30, however we now love it!  Here is the very favorite meal of both my husband and my son: http://paleomg.com/pistachio-pesto-chicken-pasta/  They love it when I'm on the whole30 because  we eat it once a week!

Bees, I'm so happy you made it here! Welcome aboard!

This is day 7 for me. I have had a lot of energy and focus over the last three days (I think I'm awakening from the sugar coma...) but I'm also getting a lot of sleep,          like 8-9 hours each night which is more the usual. I'm feeling better than I have in a long, long, time. The last couple of whole30's I did I couldn't quite get a forum group that I jived with. I think it's because if you start first of the month there a hundred people starting at once and you don't really get a chance to know everyone. I'm so happy that we have an active small group here! I'm glad to be on this journey with you!

@Change30Just like the weather, we are also going to have times when the air is unsettled and the sun fights with the clouds to shine. The moral of this analogy is to ride it out..... when there is no way round, go through, and we are ALL here with and FOR YOU! 

9 hours ago, Jessica NG said:

When I woke up, my heartburn was still present, but at a lower (bearable) level. I did a Google search last night on "Whole30 forum heartburn" and found 4 different threads about it, so apparently others have encountered this. I'm going to the store to get some Bragg apple cider vinegar today (after I go swim at the gym), and I will try 1 tablespoon of vinegar in water immediately after my next meal to see if that helps.

My sugar dragon was not as strong last night. Yay! Still present and still roaring, but not as loud. LOL. I did the "envision steamed fish and broccoli" test and realized that I would totally eat it if it were set before me. In fact, I was hungry! So I fixed some leftover T-giving turkey and butternut squash-carrot puree and ate it, accompanied by about 1/4 cup of kombucha. That mini-meal did the trick.

This morning I sauteed a spoonful of minced onion in clarified butter and then added 3 beaten eggs to make a scramble. I had 2 pear halves with a dollop of coconut cream on them on the side. Breakfast was yummy, and my heartburn (so far) is the same as when I woke up - it's not gotten worse. Which is a relief.

I'm about to head out now for the gym and the store run for the Bragg vinegar and a few other food items.

Love these lil reports, and the food combos you guys are posting.....helps to get me thinking of things I had not considered, COOL!

Hmmm... as of 10 PM, my heartburn is now *much* milder. And I'm wondering: did the ACV help after all? Was that fierce burn after swallowing it and then the 2 hours of heightened discomfort just part of the process of improvement? Or would I be feeling better now - without that unpleasant couple of hours - anyway, without taking it?

I doubt there are any certain answers at this point. I'll just have to keep eating and observing myself. But I didn't take any ACV after dinner. So I think I will try a few more meals without it.

My sugar dragon's roars tonight were more muted than they've ever been for quite some time. It begins to seem possible that they might actually go away altogether as I keep at this. Huh! Maybe I won't be the one person in all the world for whom the Whole30 does nothing. ;) That would be good. I want this to help me!

How is everyone else doing?

2 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

AliceV, look at this nugget I just found! http://whole30.com/2014/08/mayo-ghee-sauces/  It's all kinds of sauces you can make with the mayo! :wub:

PattMcK, I never used spaghetti squash before the Whole30, however we now love it!  Here is the very favorite meal of both my husband and my son: http://paleomg.com/pistachio-pesto-chicken-pasta/  They love it when I'm on the whole30 because  we eat it once a week!

Bees, I'm so happy you made it here! Welcome aboard!

This is day 7 for me. I have had a lot of energy and focus over the last three days (I think I'm awakening from the sugar coma...) but I'm also getting a lot of sleep,          like 8-9 hours each night which is more the usual. I'm feeling better than I have in a long, long, time. The last couple of whole30's I did I couldn't quite get a forum group that I jived with. I think it's because if you start first of the month there a hundred people starting at once and you don't really get a chance to know everyone. I'm so happy that we have an active small group here! I'm glad to be on this journey with you!

That recipe looks great. Thanks for sharing!

Archived