Enough excuses! Starting 11/21!!

MizRik

1 hour ago, AliceV said:

@Change30Just like the weather, we are also going to have times when the air is unsettled and the sun fights with the clouds to shine. The moral of this analogy is to ride it out..... when there is no way round, go through, and we are ALL here with and FOR YOU! 

Beautiful analogy, Alice. Thanks for sharing. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MizRiK,

I'm as crazy as you. My sister and I are starting on Tuesday. It's going to run into our Christmas holiday, but we are past caring. We are tired of be tired, irritable, and feeling sick with our food. It's time for a "reset"! We know that it won't be easy but we are ready to face the challenge and don't care. We want to change our lives. Every person starting this program or continuing, props. It takes courage and determination to decide to just do it.

I will graduate with my Masters in Counseling Psychology on December 10th, in the middle of my Whole 30, but this is my next goal for my life. I want to bring wholeness and comfort to my clients, but I also need to practice good self-care. My goal while I wait to begin candidacy is to reset my health. I love challenges. I know it will be difficult but I look forward to the challenge. I look forward to journeying with all of you.

KK

13 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

AliceV, look at this nugget I just found! http://whole30.com/2014/08/mayo-ghee-sauces/  It's all kinds of sauces you can make with the mayo! :wub:

PattMcK, I never used spaghetti squash before the Whole30, however we now love it!  Here is the very favorite meal of both my husband and my son: http://paleomg.com/pistachio-pesto-chicken-pasta/  They love it when I'm on the whole30 because  we eat it once a week!

Bees, I'm so happy you made it here! Welcome aboard!

This is day 7 for me. I have had a lot of energy and focus over the last three days (I think I'm awakening from the sugar coma...) but I'm also getting a lot of sleep,          like 8-9 hours each night which is more the usual. I'm feeling better than I have in a long, long, time. The last couple of whole30's I did I couldn't quite get a forum group that I jived with. I think it's because if you start first of the month there a hundred people starting at once and you don't really get a chance to know everyone. I'm so happy that we have an active small group here! I'm glad to be on this journey with you!

Thanks for that link to the recipe!  It sounds delicious and I will try it this weekend :)  One thing I have found that helps me on this program is trying new recipes and new foods that I have not had before.  Helps with feeling deprived or bored with what I am eating.  I have tried several recipes in the book and so far I have liked them all.  

I leave for work at 5:45 a.m. and work 10 hour days so the first few days I was delaying having breakfast for a couple of hours after I got to work just to spread my meals out more evenly.  Then I read the thread about how I should be eating within an hour of waking up, so I did that over the weekend and this morning before work.  However, that means I have 7 hours between M1 and M2 on workdays.   I know I'm not supposed to be snacking but feel like I need something mid way through the morning.  Today I had about 1 cup of grapes.  Was thinking of a banana tomorrow, if I need it.  Does that sound okay?  Or should I be having something with protein?  Lunch at 12 will be spaghetti squash, chicken and cucumber slices. 

Feeling a bit tired today.  Not sure if it's Whole30 or Monday related.    Day 8 ..... soon we will be in double digits :D

I started Whole30 November 20, too! I've never done anything like this and never thought I could but with the great recipes it's not as hard as I anticipated. So far so good though Thanksgiving was a challenge traveling, being on a hectic visiting schedule, and staying at my parent's house for 4 days (plus they live in a very small town with limited groceries). I brought along a box of Whole30 food, and made the classic chili and everyone ate that instead of leftover Thanksgiving food (maybe no one likes leftovers). My young niece who is a picky eater wanted the recipe because she hates beans. But after the chili was all gone I was left with almonds and turkey and baby carrots.

Sending encouraging thoughts to everyone who started in November!! Love to hear from you!

Gretchen

7 hours ago, PattiMcK said:

I leave for work at 5:45 a.m. and work 10 hour days so the first few days I was delaying having breakfast for a couple of hours after I got to work just to spread my meals out more evenly.  Then I read the thread about how I should be eating within an hour of waking up, so I did that over the weekend and this morning before work.  However, that means I have 7 hours between M1 and M2 on workdays.   I know I'm not supposed to be snacking but feel like I need something mid way through the morning.  Today I had about 1 cup of grapes.  Was thinking of a banana tomorrow, if I need it.  Does that sound okay?  Or should I be having something with protein?  Lunch at 12 will be spaghetti squash, chicken and cucumber slices. 

I would do a mini meal with protein to keep you satisfied. I find if I have fruit I'm hungry pretty quickly.  

I am SOOOO glad someone mentioned Larabars on here!!!  I didn't have a clue that they were compliant - and when you need an unexpected snack, they are delicious!  Saved more lives than my own with a bar today!:D  (Kill All The Things has hit hard the last couple of days!)

2 minutes ago, mhemm said:

I am SOOOO glad someone mentioned Larabars on here!!!  I didn't have a clue that they were compliant - and when you need an unexpected snack, they are delicious!  Saved more lives than my own with a bar today!:D  (Kill All The Things has hit hard the last couple of days!)

Good to know about Larabars. I've never tasted one. What all is in them? Anyone know?

I'll be spending the day with my in-laws December 11, and I plan to bring some Epic brand jerky with me, as well as some kind of compliant snack bar. I expect that they'll be serving meat for dinner, which I'll be able to eat. And my MIL always asks me to make a green salad, so that will work also. But I won't be able to simply go to the fridge and then rustle up a mini-meal as I would if I were at home when hunger struck. So I figure I better have some compliant snacks on hand.

Day 8 is moving right along for me. :D

My heartburn was much better when I woke up. Not gone, but very mild. It continued mild all day, but I am hopeful that it is just one of *my* body's adjustment symptoms and will soon go away altogether. We shall see.

I was amazed that when I returned from the gym (weight lifting), I had enough energy to talk with my dad on the phone for an hour (it's his birthday! he's 87 today!) and *then* enough energy to cook dinner. We're having shepherd pie from the Whole30 book (page 350). I'm *really* liking the steadier, longer lasting energy that Whole30 is giving me thus far. Nice!

How is everybody else doing?

57 minutes ago, Jessica NG said:

Good to know about Larabars. I've never tasted one. What all is in them? Anyone know?

...and I plan to bring some Epic brand jerky with me, as well as some kind of compliant snack bar. 

Larabars are pretty much dates and nuts - depending on the flavor and I just discovered Epic jerky and LOVE it!

• Moderators

For everyone talking about Larabars, remember that while they are technically compliant (most of them -- not all flavors are), they're not really your best choice if you have any other options at all. They are as close to a candy bar as you can get on Whole30 and can leave you craving sweets.

If you know you're going to need to eat another meal/mini-meal because you have a long enough day that you need more than three meals, just pack up actual food and take with you -- hard boiled eggs, leftovers, meatballs, chopped raw or cooked vegetables, a container of oil or mayo or guacamole or olives. If you need a fourth full meal, that's fine. If you just need a mini-meal to get you to your usual dinner time, that works too -- but try to always have protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

If you're stuck somewhere and there are no other compliant options, a Larabar is better than nothing, but really pay attention to how you're using them and be sure you're truly hungry and not just replacing an old candy bar and soda mid-afternoon snack with a Larabar instead.

• Moderators

Hey everyone!

Just a note about Lara Bars and other compliant 'bar' type foods.  These are technically only approved for emergencies... sitting on the tarmac in a blizzard for hours types of emergencies.  Wanting a sweet treat, feeling snacky or just plain desire to eat them because they're tasty isn't an emergency and isn't in the spirit of the Whole30.  

Also note that if you're using Larabars, nuts and fruit/dried fruit to try and conquer sugar cravings, you're only doing yourself a disservice.  If you have a craving you can't get over with five minutes of distraction (walk, stretch, drink water, take a shower), then have something fatty... olives are great because their briney flavor is as far from sweet as you can get. If you continue to feed your sugar dragon with sugar it will just stay alive...

I'm not noticing a lot of side effects like other people seem to be - I'm starting to feel like I'm doing it wrong.  I'll be honest, if it wasn't for sweet potatoes being a vegetable I would really be in trouble!  I haven't noticed the secondary bloat or the intestinal unrest, just a lot less bloat overall - I can already see a difference in my face! - and a slight increase in energy.  I did spend most of the past weekend in bed battling a headcold and sleeping on & off all weekend.  (More for everyone else's sake than mine due to the "Kill Everything's".)  I did weigh myself (shhh, don't tell) and mod edit to remove scale discussion but after day 8 email I texted my husband and asked him to hide the scale!  Feeling very blah and getting annoyed that I can't take a bite of some sort of sweet bread or pastry...

I don't know if this will post correctly, but in the pictures i see a big difference in puffiness..

IMG_3307.JPG

6 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Just a note about Lara Bars and other compliant 'bar' type foods.  These are technically only approved for emergencies... sitting on the tarmac in a blizzard for hours types of emergencies.  Wanting a sweet treat, feeling snacky or just plain desire to eat them because they're tasty isn't an emergency and isn't in the spirit of the Whole30.  

I absolutely agree & understand @SugarcubeOD - I felt guilty because I remembered reading that and it felt like a treat!  I was strapped for a snack and have one in my purse so that doesn't happen again, but definitely would feel better about munching on a veggie tray or some nuts!  Thanks for the reminder!

KK, Welcome to the group! I know how you feel. I started the Monday before Thanksgiving because I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. After only a few days I'm feeling better than I have in a long time.

PattiMcK, I definitely think you should have a snack (7 hours is too long between meals) but also add some veg and protein, fruit kicks up the sugar dragon!

Welcome Mountain Life! I have some challenges coming up this week so I am inspired to plan ahead!

Jessica, tell us how the shepherds pie tasted? 

I thought the moderators would jump in on the Larabars! As a lover of Larabars, let me just say they are pretty much dessert. For this Whole 30, I've decided to avoid them all together, because I would just end up going to town on them.

mhemm, great job on putting away the scale! That is one of the hardest thing for me. I want to check, check, check, but I am committed to not check for 30 days! Your pictures are lookin' good!

This is very unusual, but I have had so much energy for the last 4 days! That hasn't happened to me in previous Whole 30s (I mean not this early). I'm just appreciating it while I have it!

Thanks for all the info on Larabars. It sounds like they would *not* be a good choice for me to bring to my in-laws. My sugar dragon is beginning to get drowsy, and I don't want to wake him up again! ;) I'm going to do more thinking about what else I might bring. I still think the Epic jerky would be a good thing to have on hand. But I probably need to figure out a mini-meal that I can take with me.

@CCLaymon The shepherd's pie was awesome! My husband loved it, too - so much so that he had seconds.

@mhemm Big diff in the photos! Congrats! Looks to me like you are, indeed, "doing it right." Maybe your body just doesn't generate the side effects that some people experience. The book does say that not *everyone* gets the days 2-3 "flu" (I didn't), the days 4-5 "kill all the things" (I mostly didn't), and so on. Of course, I *did* get a days 2-8 heartburn that isn't even mentioned - proof that every body is different! ;)

Good morning, gang!

Challenge of the day: post a compliant Whole 30 recipe you like or would like to try. If you've tried it, how did it go?

Here's mine: Eggplant Ricotta Stacks

This is made with "ricotta cheese," and I put that in quotes because, obviously it's not ricotta. It's made from macadamia nuts. Does is taste like ricotta? As a NJ girl, I will tell you no. BUT, it's tastes pretty darn good!!

The recipe is originally from NomNomPaleo.com.  Word of caution for the new folks - paleo is not always Whole30 compliant, so be sure to read the recipes. That being said, Michelle Tam (at NomNom) has a LOT of compliant recipes.

Be sure to give this one a try!

As I mentioned yesterday, I made the recipe for shepherd's pie on page 350 of the Whole30 book. (I tried to find a link to an online copy, but could not.)

Here's how it went for me:

I baked my sweet potatoes, instead of peeling them, cutting them up, and boiling the pieces. It was just so much less hassle to bake them, scoop the potato out of its jacket, and then mash it with clarified butter and some coconut milk.

Also, I sauteed my diced carrots first, because - in my experience - carrots always take so much longer to cook than the other vegetables in the recipe. So I sauteed the diced carrots for about 3 minutes. Then I added the diced onions, and sauteed until the onions started to soften. Then I added the diced celery along with the oregano, thyme, minced garlic, and salt. I sauteed all of that for another 3 minutes.

Then I added the ground lamb I was using for the meat, one pound at a time. (I was making a double recipe, because I have 4 to feed; so 2 pounds of lamb. I doubled all the other ingredients as well.)

I continued sauteing until the lamb was no longer pink.

Then I set aside half of the lamb mixture for my kids, because they are *still* picky eaters (even at age 14), and I knew that my son especially would not want everything *mixed together.* I had also set aside half of the mashed sweet potatoes before I added the coconut milk, because I knew my kids might strongly dislike the coconut milk. They've always disliked it before, when I've added coconut to things.

Then I spread the remaining half of the lamb mixture in a 7 x 11 in glass baking pan. And I spread the sweet potato-coconut milk over the lamb. It was *barely* enough. The people who tested the recipe must have used bigger sweet potatoes than the ones I had, because the recipe specified a 9 x 13 pan. If my pan had been that size, I wouldn't have had enough.

Then I baked the "pie" in the oven for half an hour at 375 F. At the very end, I moved the rack up a notch and turned on the broiler, letting the sweet potato topping crisp up for about 2 minutes.

Then I served everything. The kids were content to eat their portions and my son was *very* grateful that I'd set aside non-mixed portions for him. My husband and I ate the "pie" version, and we both loved it.

Day 9 is here.

Like IronGirlTrixie upthread, I'm feeling blah.

I woke up with the mild heartburn still present. It's really quite bearable, but I'd been hoping it would be gone. It's cold and raining here, so I can't sit outside for my usual morning sun, and I'm finding I *hate* that, I've been fine sitting outside in the cold. I merely bundle up, and it totally works. But the rain is too much. If my front porch had a roof... but it doesn't. It's really more of a front deck.

The cap on my unhappiness is that I didn't get enough sleep. I had an email that I needed to write to my son's English teacher this morning, and I was rather dreading it. At around 1 AM, I suddenly knew exactly what I should say. So I got back up out of bed, and wrote it all down. I'm glad I did, because it's good. And I wasn't sleeping anyway, because of my worry.

But I was so revved up after writing the draft, I *still* couldn't sleep. Gah! I think I finally went to sleep around 4 AM. And I had to get up at 7:45 AM to get the kids off to school.

Anyway, I am feeling thoroughly blue right now. :(

Plus the days 8 - 9 gassiness has arrived. (I didn't have it yesterday.) And I am *so* tired of this blasted heartburn. It really is mild, but i am *so* tired of it!

Good Morning guys!  Wow - I'm pretty excited to be on day 8!  It seems so far and yet...  My energy seems to be on the increase and I seem to have kicked my cold in record time since I slept all weekend!  Now I need to finish the Christmas decorating and get some meal planning done tonight after work.  My sleep is changing, I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately and have actually been sleeping on the couch because our bed was causing me a lot of back pain.  Even with sleeping on the couch I have started having the most bizarre dreams!  Yesterday our new bed was delivered and I didn't sleep well because it was new and I was cold.  (this is our first winter back in Wisconsin and we don't have warm sheets and comforter for new bed!)  I plan to get back on track with my morning run on Thursday and am going to sign up for my monthly 5k with my son this weekend.  (he skipped November due to deer hunting...)  I'm thinking this one looks fun:

http://www.goneforarun.com/virtual-race-catch-me-if-you-can-5k/tr-34578.html?cgid=gfar#start=2

But maybe I'll still with a local Jingle Bell Run.  

Happy Tuesday!

@KKadmiral777

Oh my goodness! To be starting this as you near graduation earns you a double crazy!! LOL. As I neared the end of my doctorate program a few years ago I was so wiped out I can't imagine adding things in on top of it. You my dear are amazing!! 

But as we said.... there is never a perfect time.... so just do it now!! 

Happy to have you joining us!!! 

Archived