I just wanna help my mom!

Karen_Suep

I've been telling my parents how wonderful w30 is and how freeing it is when it comes to food. They are staying with us this week and my mom brought all these bars and protein powders, convinced that they are healthy. Don't get me wrong. I understand that some of us have nutritional deficiencies even when we are on top of our game and need some supplements at times... but this is crazy. She's convinced that she needs to stay in her "zones" for macros and when I offered her real food, she said maybe later. They may have grabbed dinner before they got here, and that's ok but it would not surprise me if her dinner was the nutrition bars that are super processed and uber gross (I never liked them even before whole30). I'm sad because I really think she'd benefit from the program. She's always been an emotional eater and it kinda shows. I love her but I want her to be healthy. She's already prediabetic (meanwhile I do have diabetes... thanks genetics!) and has kidney issues. She may not be as young as she once was but that doesn't stop me from wanting her to have a long healthy(er) life. 

Argh. This really is just a vent. Part of me wants to be passive aggressive and get her the w30 and FFF books but I don't think it'd go over well (besides I like giving fun and meaningful gifts. So I may do something different for them and remind them those books exist) But since they are here and I still make mostly whole30 meals, I can kinda introduce her to the awesomeness of whole food eating and just keep talking it up. My dad seems excited about it (i get my adventure loving foodie from him) but I'm not sure my mom is gonna see beyond the low fat craze.....

• Moderators

Could you leave your copies of Whole30 or FFF laying around somewhere while they're there, somewhere she might pick it up and glance through it? Especially the W30 book, with the pics of food, maybe those would get her attention?

Unfortunately, you can't make her try Whole30. It's frustrating to know it would help and not be able to get someone to even give it a chance, but if she's not ready to hear it, she's not ready. I think the best thing you can do is model healthy behavior, and if she seems interested in the future, then try to talk to her again. Robb Wolf wrote this post about trying to convince loved ones to change, I think it's a good read.

Thanks Shannon. I actually don't own the books yet. My goal is to cook as healthy as I can while they are here. I know I can't change her but I really wish she hadn't brought the bars. My three year old will want to eat them and she'd eat anything. Although my parents did bring apple chips from a local to them orchard and dd loves them so there's that. 

Sometimes I wish I *could* change people. Only sometimes though 

• 3 weeks later...

In school I spent lots of time studying the stages of change and change readiness theory. I know you want to help your mom change her behaviors to be healthier, but until she realizes she's got a problem, she's not even going to have a clue that she needs to consider making any changes in her life. I'm sorry it's so frustrating. My husband is the same way, and while he doesn't have as many health issues (yet), he's well on his way with obesity and (I'm pretty sure) obstructive sleep apnea and a smoking addiction.:( All we can do is live our best lives, hope they follow by our example, and gently try to educate them without them realizing we're doing it. Planting a seed, I guess.

Image result for transtheoretical model of health behavior change graphic

Image result for transtheoretical model of health behavior change graphic

Archived