coconut milk/almond milk

You need to check the labels. If you are speaking of the milks that are in the cartons, then most probably not. You will be shocked what they put in them. Coconut milk in the can is good as long as the only thing it has in it is coconut milk and guar gum.

I've been unable to find an acceptable almond milk, so this week I made my own and it tastes better than anything I've ever bought! Very easy to do. I use Goya coconut milk in the can. No preservatives, no gums, no stabilizers, so it separates quickly. I keep it in one of the containers from my Magic Bullet, and when I want some I just screw on the blade and pulse it a couple of times.

Can you please tell me how you make your Almond Milk?

I used to drink that before W30 and would like to be able to make my own.

Thanks.

I've been unable to find an acceptable almond milk, so this week I made my own and it tastes better than anything I've ever bought! Very easy to d0.

Nancy- All you need to do is soak your almonds overnight, drain, blend with some fresh filtered water and then strain, pushing out the milk (no need to blanch or remove skin from the almonds beforehand because thise get strained out regardless). Add a pinch of sea salt at the end. Some people blend up a date or add some vanilla, etc. Ratios are really up to you. I've seen 1 cup almonds/1 cup water and I've seen 1 cup almonds/4 cups water...YMMV.

Nancy- All you need to do is soak your almonds overnight, drain, blend with some fresh filtered water and then strain, pushing out the milk (no need to blanch or remove skin from the almonds beforehand because thise get strained out regardless). Add a pinch of sea salt at the end. Some people blend up a date or add some vanilla, etc. Ratios are really up to you. I've seen 1 cup almonds/1 cup water and I've seen 1 cup almonds/4 cups water...YMMV.

What? No blending? To me that would make a very see through almost almond water. Did I miss something?

What? No blending? To me that would make a very see through almost almond water. Did I miss something?

Yep, you blend the soaked almonds with the filtered water and then strain either through cheesecloth or you can buy a nutmilk bag. The more nuts to water, the creamier it is.

I think you missed the part where I said blend? ;) "soak your almonds overnight, drain, blend with some fresh filtered water and then strain"

And yeah, less water/more creamy. yum

I think you missed the part where I said blend? ;) "soak your almonds overnight, drain, blend with some fresh filtered water and then strain"

And yeah, less water/more creamy. yum

LOL..I did miss it. :) So blend for how long? Someone said ten minutes? I don't own a Vitamix so it's either my Cuisinart or my blender that will take the abuse.

Any particular recipes you'd recommend?

I've never done it Livvie, but hopefully someone who has done it will direct you. I think I remember we aren't really supposed to post non Whole30 recipes. I believe that came from Renee one of the Mods. :) Google research is fun though.

I've made my own almond milk a few times, but I have it easy since I own a Vitamix. My ratio is 1 cup raw almonds to 3 cups milk, blended with just some vanilla, no sweeteners. The procedure is simple: soak the nuts in water for a few hours (I've even skipped the soaking and had OK results), drain, place in a blender and cover with cold, filtered water, and blend on high for 2-3 minutes. You can strain through a fine sieve, cheese cloth, or a nutmilk bag if you want, or just let the solids settle to the bottom of your container and toss them when you've drunk all the milk.

As for what to do with the almond pulp, you can always make Paleo Cracklin' Oat Bran (after the Whole30 is done, I mean). The recipe is here: http://www.colourful...hy-oaty-cereal/ Just replace the oat flour with half as much coconut flour and you're good to go!

I've been unable to find an acceptable almond milk, so this week I made my own and it tastes better than anything I've ever bought! Very easy to do. I use Goya coconut milk in the can. No preservatives, no gums, no stabilizers, so it separates quickly. I keep it in one of the containers from my Magic Bullet, and when I want some I just screw on the blade and pulse it a couple of times.

So you just open the can and keep it in your magic bullet container? I have a Magic Bullet, and I just told myself today that I never use it. How long does it last in the fridge?

Yes, I pour directly into a Magic Bullet container and screw on the cap. When I want some, I put the flat blade on, and pulse 1-2 times. I use mine all the time. It blends vinaigrettes really well, and it makes the best and easiest guacamole in 10 seconds flat. I make my almond milk in it, too. Even scrambled egg come out fluffier and better mixed.

• 3 months later...

What about SO Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk?

Here are the ingredients:

ORGANIC COCONUT MILK (ORGANIC COCONUT CREAM, WATER, GUAR GUM), CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, CARRAGEENAN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D-2, L-SELENOMETHIONINE (SELENIUM), ZINC OXIDE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B-12.

Definitely not, Carrageenan is a big no-no.

The EU definitions state that for a substance to be called 'natural almond flavour', 95% must be derived from almonds, the other 5% must also be sourced entirely from natural origins and used only to stabilise the resultant flavour. Hope this helps

Archived