Ghee - what have I done?

Kirsteen

Ok - a few days ago I tried making ghee. I followed this method

http://justhomemade.net/2010/10/27/homemade-ghee/

I found it a bit difficult because I don't have a pot that isn't non-stick (yeah bad, I know) so being black inside I couldn't see the colour or anything. I think I possibly stopped too soon as although there were plenty of milk solids they hadn't gone brown. I decanted it through cheesecloth and had loads of solids to throw out and it solidified a nice yellow colour.

Tried cooking with it and it melted, didn't spit like butter but tsill smelled and tasted buttery, a bit too much for my liking as I'd already given up dairy months ago. Anyway, on the site, she claimed that if the ghee wasn't right, you could always run it through the process again. I did this yesterday but didn't get anymore froth or solids. However when I decanted it, I noticed the colour has changed - it's now much paler a pale cream, isn't as solid (though that could be because my kitchen's warmer and it's lost the buttery smell and taste. It doesn't really taste or smell much at all now.

I quite like it like that but have I done something drastically wrong to it. Can I eat it or should i bin it and start again?

• Moderators

I don't have personal experience with what you are describing, but it sounds like you made real ghee... If you didn't get more froth or solids on a second try, you probably did it right the first time. Logically, the recooked ghee should be fine. I would use it.

Oh, I'm sure it's fine to eat, but yeah, that's a solid recipe and you really need a stainless or ceramic pot to cook it in so you can see the lovely brown bits and you know when it's finished. Even if you can't see them, a froth that forms at the very end is the clue it's ready. Here's a you tube version that I like a lot. Maybe a different pot is in your future. :) If you look at my Avatar, that is what mine looked like after I strained it into the container. Then as it cooled, it solidified and looked more like butter, but much softer.

Archived