11/28...Ready to Start!

guestdvp

12 hours ago, guestpvd said:

p.s. does anyone know if there's a way to set your preferences so that the most recent reply to this chain comes up first rather than clicking on the conversation and then having to scroll all the way to the bottom to see what's new?

If you click on the shape to the left of the post in the list of forum posts, it brings you to the first unread post on the thread. I think that the ones you've commented on have a star and ones you've just read have a circle.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, BornToBeHappy said:

Started today.  I think it will be an excellent time to stay away from the junk.  I haven't done much prep - have stuff for a green smoothie in the a.m. and will work backwards from there.  I am the cook of the house of five so I am going to check out the meal plans as well.  

Cheers!

Aimee

Hi Aimee;

Smoothies are not recommended as liquid food digests at a different rate than chewed food, they are usually a huge sugar hit and leave you feeling unsatisfied.  As well, it's difficult to get protein in a smoothie on the program because there are very few compliant protein powders.  It's not against the rules persay to have a smoothie, but we want you to get the most out of the 30 days so take a look at the rules vs recommendations linked in my signature below.  

Today was pretty good - sidestepped the box of chocolates in the break room, brought to work a half a chocolate chip tollhouse cookie pie and everything but the one slice of a cranberry apple cobbler I'd made (only one slice had been eaten at my house) and made it all go away. Got acid reflux pretty bad though this evening, but it dissipated after two or so hours. Probably from my lunch, which was very heavily tomato-based. Or maybe all the black coffee I'd been drinking to offset the strange night's sleep I got last night.

Funny thing I noticed - I was full before I finished breakfast and set the rest aside in case I got hungry again, which I did a half hour later, but didn't have time to stop and eat. Did the same thing with lunch. Both meals were eaten at work (13 hour shift). I combined my leftovers from breakfast and lunch to make a mini-meal in one Tupperware, but still haven't eaten that yet. I think I'm going to have them for dinner since I meant to have shrimp cocktail but don't have anything to dip it into. I meant to make mayo yesterday but ran out of steam by night time. Wish I'd done it though... my favorite is to have spicy aioli to dip my shrimp in! There's always hope for tomorrow. :) 

Tomorrow my meals at work are identical to today, which is good because they were really tasty today. I'm going to try to drink more water and less coffee tomorrow, and see if I get the same acid reflux feelings I got today. Strange that I've been getting it worse over the last few weeks, which I'd attributed to weight gain and poor food choices. Hopefully if that's the cause, within a couple of days of w30 eating I'll be reflux-free.

I am starting my third Whole 30. I have let myself go and I am desperate to get back on track. I started on Sunday the 28th. I look forward to reading everyone's positive results.  One thing I do remember is it was not until after the first week that I started to feel more energetic. So stay strong and true. 

So yesterday morning (my day2/3 ...I officially started on Sunday but did everything but breakfast Whole 30 on Saturday) I woke up feeling awful. Nauseated , dizzy etc. I read in the timeline that was pretty much par for the course however. And praise the Lord this morning I do feel better! Still waking up more hungry/weak than normal but no nausea! 

Last night I almost had no appetite to eat my beef tips and veggies I made in the crockpot all day long ...which also means I have no desire to eat that for lunch today . Made a sweet potato instead . Anyone have any good idea for lunches ? 

I am also making it a little more difficult because over the last month of just trying to cut out gluten, I started having 2 eggs for breakfast every morning (when I rarely had them before) and I noticed a distinct increase in my fatigue from Hashimotos. Not sure if it is related, but I am trying to stay away from them if possible

when I am struggling today and asking my Lord Jesus to give me his strength, I will pray for you all as well! 

Shelby 

8 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hi Aimee;

Smoothies are not recommended as liquid food digests at a different rate than chewed food, they are usually a huge sugar hit and leave you feeling unsatisfied.  As well, it's difficult to get protein in a smoothie on the program because there are very few compliant protein powders.  It's not against the rules persay to have a smoothie, but we want you to get the most out of the 30 days so take a look at the rules vs recommendations linked in my signature below.  

Hi! So I also have a question about this...

i am in a tough spot of needing to avoid eggs ...which makes breakfast interesting. The last 2 days I have put a half of an avacado, one frozen banana, a handful of spinach and a half cup or so of coconut water in the blender. I have then put it in a bowl with a few crumbled pistachios on top and eaten it. 

I have a friend who is about to bring me her book so I can read all the "spirit of whole 30" recommendations like that,  but does anyone have any other ideas for breakfasts that don't have eggs? 

Brands of bacon or sausage that are compliant ? I'm already so burnt out of chicken lol

thanks!

shelby

12 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hi Aimee;

Good to know. Thank you. 

Can I jump into this group? I started on Friday 25th which brings me to day 5 today. I'm a 55yr old grandma who has battled with weight issues for almost 50 years. I've learned a lot about nutrition over the  years and am fascinated with the concept that low fat and whole grain is not all it's cracked up to be. This is my first Whole 30 and I'm the only one in my household doing it. Hubby is along for the ride if the dinners have a lot of meat and not too many veggies.

My first week is based on the plan in the book. I'm creating the week 2 plan and grocery list today, with recipes from the book and ideas from this forum, the emails and Facebook.

Looking forward to supporting and being supported by a like minded group of people.

Jill

Day 2!  Yesterday was a bit tough for me what with the caffeine and sugar withdrawals...I consumed alot before starting the Whole30.  But, today I woke up not feeling tired, and I feel pretty good this morning.  Hopefully the headaches will not be as strong today.  Looking forward to getting past the first 5-10 days of "detox".  I hope everyone else is doing well, and I am really happy to be part of the group.

Also...I found a great recipe for Chicken Lettuce Wraps that I thought I would share! Hoping to try them soon... :)

so glad we are all doing this together!  half way through day three and who knew i would actually like my coffee black??!  sauces are something i learned on the first go around can dramatically liven up any meal.  here's one of my favs from a friend - great on ground meat or chicken or on roasted veggies:

Ingredients: Wasabi Ginger Pesto Sauce
- 1 bunch parsley, stemmed
- 1 cup basil, loosely packed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts (or some other kind of nuts)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 TBS wasabi (Use 2 TBS if you like it hot)
- 1/3 cup fresh ginger, peeled & sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil

Instructions
1. Place parsley, basil, garlic, and nuts into a food processor. Turn on medium and add the vinegar, lemon, wasabi and ginger.
2. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil to allow it to emulsify. 
3. Season with Salt and Pepper.

That pesto sauce looks wonderful!  Can't wait to make it.

B'fast eggs & peppers

Lunch: Fajita chicken wings + a piece of fruit

http://www.thebewitchinkitchen.com/fajita-chicken-wings/?utm_content=bufferc05d0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Dinner: Stuffed cabbage

http://www.bowlofdelicious.com/2016/01/10/slow-cooker-spicy-stuffed-cabbage-casserole-whole30-and-paleo-approved/

Hope everyone has a marvelous day!

Warmly,

Aimee

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 5:51 AM, Shelblandrum said:

i am in a tough spot of needing to avoid eggs ...which makes breakfast interesting. The last 2 days I have put a half of an avacado, one frozen banana, a handful of spinach and a half cup or so of coconut water in the blender. I have then put it in a bowl with a few crumbled pistachios on top and eaten it. 

I have a friend who is about to bring me her book so I can read all the "spirit of whole 30" recommendations like that,  but does anyone have any other ideas for breakfasts that don't have eggs? 

Brands of bacon or sausage that are compliant ? I'm already so burnt out of chicken lol

thanks!

shelby

Hi Shelby, try looking for Aidel's sausage - my local Stop and Shop carries it, as does Whole Foods (for $$$). Whole Foods tends to have more flavors that are w30 compliant, but the type my local grocery has (chicken and apple type) is compliant, delicious, and just as satisfying. Sometimes to take a break from eggs I have two sausages for breakfast along with a pile of veggies and half an avocado. Other times, I just eat leftovers from dinner for breakfast - so, like, pulled pork or roast chicken or whatever with veggies, sweet potato and olives. Sounds strange, but one of the ideas of the Whole 30 is to try to consider meals as just "meals" rather than labeling them as breakfast, lunch dinner. That way, you may shift your mind away from thinking that you need specifically "breakfast" type food items for your first meal, and can be just as satisfied eating a hamburger patty with avocado over top of a mound of roasted cauliflower. :) 

I'm on day three and so far, doing great. I'm glad I prepped for my first two days - took all of the thinking out of what I'd be having and REALLY helped me get through break room temptations at work. One pitfall was that I didn't finish preparing my dinners for the last two days and ended up not eating any dinner at all on Monday (just too tired and not all that hungry), and last night just having some prosciutto with melon and hazelnuts. Not exactly balanced, but not horrible either. :blink:

Today I'm off from work and prepping for the next four days of work. I've already made my breakfasts, which are two Aidells chicken and apple sausages with a mound of rosemary roasted butternut squash, to be accompanied by half an avocado. Lunches will be shrimp cocktail with spicy aioli, sautéed asparagus, and the other half of the breakfast avocado (for two days of the four) and almond crusted tilapia with roasted cauliflower and the other half of the breakfast avocado (for the remainder of the lunches). Dinners will be omelets with onions, served with a medley of steamed broccoli, cauliflower, yellow and orange carrot slices, and black olives.

Also will be making mayonnaise (to have on hand as well as to make for the spicy aioli for the shrimp cocktail), so I think lunch will be leftover egg whites from the mayo made into an omelet, along with prosciutto and melon, and maybe a hard boiled egg. Breakfast was leftover lunch that I was too full to eat yesterday, so stewed chicken thigh with tomato, onion, carrot and rosemary, with avocado and roasted purple and red new potatoes. Dinner will likely be shrimp cocktail with some of that delicious aioli. :P 

I've been starting to make a list for grocery shopping, too. I'd forgotten how fast I use up my produce when I eat healthy so I will have no fresh veggies and almost no frozen veggies left when I'm done cooking today. :rolleyes:  Thank goodness my husband doesn't mind eating the same things every day like me. It sure makes meal-prep a snap.

IMG_4689[1].JPG

Hi All, 

Thank you for all your posts.  They have been really inspiring.   Yesterday was my first day at Whole30.  I meal prepped on Monday and Started Tuesday.

Here is what I ate.

Breakfast:

Scrambled Eggs and Blue berries

Lunch:  Whole 30 Shepherd Pie (so yum!)

Dinner:  Cashews and Chicken Stir Fry (not that great)

All the recipes are from Whole 30 book.   

Yesterday, I was tired at 7pm and had to take a nap.  I was so tired that I did not even go to the gym.  I woke up at 9:30 and then couldn't go to sleep until 2am.  Yikes.  Today is a new day and I have meal prepped so should be ready to go. 

4 hours ago, BornToBeHappy said:

Really craving a Diet Dr. Pepper.

Perserving with water & tea until I can get some San Pelligrino in a couple of hours.

Sometimes when I get to that place where all I want is [insert temptation here], I guzzle water until I no longer feel like I could handle soda [or any other beverage or snack or treat] again for quite some time. Like, a liter. Preferably with a half lemon rind in there (I keep my leftovers from making mayo for just this reason!).

Hang in there-- it gets easier.

That pesto sauce recipe looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing @guestdvp.  I've missed my sauces and seasonings for the last few days because all had non-compliant ingredients. Reading that recipe and others from the book is encouraging.

Pre Whole-30 I used to drink coffee with milk all day long. I'm not sensitive to the caffeine but it was a habit. I'm finding now that 1-2 cups of coffee with coconut milk in the morning is enough. I'm happy to switch to a variety of herbal teas for the rest of the day.

Jill

Day 3: So far, so good. 

Slight headache and a bit of fogginess/weakness at points. Only a bit of cravings tonight (haven't had much time to even contemplate it because life has been so busy). Been able to start going to the gym too. Energy tonight is at an extreme low; had some late nights meal prepping...

Really trying to have a positive outlook in moments of exhaustion like today. This thread is helping- thanks everyone. :)

After today we are 10% of the way there! We've got this y'all.

Day 4/5 and it was a little rough. Extremely fatigued ...the when I got home, I put all this effort into making cauliflower "rice" and a fish I've never cooked before and literally couldn't even make myself eat it. Even had sweet potatoes which is normally my go to and could hardly eat that. Ive only consumed like 1000 calories today and I know my blood sugar is going to drop at some point soon (I'm hypoglycemic...) 

ready for this to get better! But I know it's worth the effort :)

shelby 

• Moderators
On 11/29/2016 at 4:51 AM, Shelblandrum said:

thanks!

shelby

Anything you can eat for any other meal works great for breakfast. There's a whole thread of non-egg-focused breakfasts here.

Since you're avoiding eggs, you might look specifically for Whole30 AIP recipes -- they may also leave out other things you can have, like certain spices, but it's easier to add those in if you want them than to try to modify recipes that call for eggs in a way that leaves them out.

If you're wanting things to make ahead for breakfast, try meatballs (there's a bunch of recipes for different seasonings here), salmon cakes (my go-to recipe uses egg as a binder, but there are plenty of egg-free options out there), burger patties (for a treat, try SB&J or Elvis burgers -- probably not an everyday thing, but a fun way to change things up every now and then).

If you're wanting breakfast sausage type sausage (like Owens or Jimmy Dean type patties), you may be able to find some from a local butcher, but most of the stuff in the store has sugar and often other stuff that makes it non-compliant. It is relatively easy to make your own. I haven't found a recipe that's quite perfect yet, but this one minus the brown sugar is a good place to start -- it is pretty spicy, so if that's not your thing, start with small amounts of cayenne and red pepper flakes, and as she suggests at the bottom of the recipe, cook up a bit to taste it, and then adjust. I definitely do not ever use her full amounts of either, and I've even left out the pepper flakes completely and been fine with it.

Archived