11/28...Ready to Start!

guestdvp

• Moderators
On 11/29/2016 at 0:24 PM, guestdvp said:

- 1 TBS wasabi (Use 2 TBS if you like it hot)

If you're buying a wasabi sauce or paste, be sure you check that it's compliant.  I know there have been past discussions about wasabi in the forum in the past and people were having trouble finding compliant options.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
On 11/29/2016 at 8:20 AM, Sieb said:

ugg, i am finding the forum hard to figure out... seriously. I just want to respond to posts and edit my posts but not so easy. Anyways... day 2 here. So excited to feel back in control. 

You can only edit posts for about 10-15 minutes after you post them, then they lock.

To respond to a specific post, either click the quote button on that post to quote it, as I did with yours here, or tag the person with the @ symbol next to their name -- when you start typing, it should pull up a list of names, just click the right one when you see it.

Posting photos is SO much easier this time around since August when I had last used this website. I love the site update! :wub:

Earlier today I'd posted photos of my breakfasts for the next four days - two Aidell's chicken and apple sausages with a heap of rosemary roasted butternut squash, to be served with half of an avocado (not pictured). 

Here are photos of what I've made for my lunches for the next four days - two containers with roasted cauliflower with almond crusted tilapia filets (and also not pictured are the other halves of avocado I plan to have with breakfast), and two containers with sautéed asparagus and shrimp cocktail to be served with my lovely garlic aioli. Don't mind the container that says "cat food" on the lid -- it was the only little lid like that I had clean! :D

I tasted a tiny fallen off piece of fish from the pan and it was really good, as was the aioli. Mmmmmmmm. Looking forward to educating all of my coworkers on what w30 is and why it's so good for us to eat this way when they ask why I don't want to order take-out with them. :)

IMG_4692[1].JPG

IMG_4690[2].JPG

IMG_4691[1].JPG

13 hours ago, StrivingToBeSteadfast said:

Day 3: So far, so good. 

Slight headache and a bit of fogginess/weakness at points. Only a bit of cravings tonight (haven't had much time to even contemplate it because life has been so busy). Been able to start going to the gym too. Energy tonight is at an extreme low; had some late nights meal prepping...

Really trying to have a positive outlook in moments of exhaustion like today. This thread is helping- thanks everyone. :)

After today we are 10% of the way there! We've got this y'all.

10% of the way there...i like the way you think.  that is very encouraging!  especially since my pants are feeling tighter today...ugh...  i know they said this would happen while our bodies adjust to burning fat instead of carbs and sugar for fuel.  just need to push on through.  glad to have you all here to help with the motivation!

13 hours ago, StrivingToBeSteadfast said:

Also, any good recipies/brands for salad dressing? (Prefferably vinnagerette/italian) I find the one in the book is really oily.

Any salad suggestions or easy lunch suggestions? Trying to switch it up a bit- feeling a bit of food boredom. 

whole30 approved recommends tessamae's salad dressings.  i've seen them at whole foods but haven't tried them yet.  i really like the kale slaw from the cookbook - i think it's like kale, red cabbage, shredded carrots, bell peppers, sliced almonds.  and they are hearty greens so it keeps for leftovers.  goes with anything.  you can do their cider dressing.  or i just do evoo and a green apple flavored white balsamic vinegar that i get from a local vendor with salt and pepper.  yum!

11 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

You can only edit posts for about 10-15 minutes after you post them, then they lock.

To respond to a specific post, either click the quote button on that post to quote it, as I did with yours here, or tag the person with the @ symbol next to their name -- when you start typing, it should pull up a list of names, just click the right one when you see it.

Shannon - another forum question for you...when i quote someone and post a reply, it puts me at the end of that thread.  so then i have to scroll around for a while to figure out where i left off reading.  is there a way to avoid this - to reply to someone and then quickly get back to where you stopped reading?  thanks

everyone's food ideas look great - thanks for sharing!  one of my go-tos is the no-fuss salmon cakes from the w30 cookbook.  a batch of those lasts me for three meals.  i usually roast up some sweet potatoes and asparagus and toss it in the same container.  then add some franks hot sauce to some of the homemade mayo and use that as a condiment for it.  had it for breakfast today - yum!

16 hours ago, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

Sometimes when I get to that place where all I want is [insert temptation here], I guzzle water until I no longer feel like I could handle soda [or any other beverage or snack or treat] again for quite some time. Like, a liter. Preferably with a half lemon rind in there (I keep my leftovers from making mayo for just this reason!).

Hang in there-- it gets easier.

Great idea. Utilized!!

Great day yesterday

Todays Food

Breakfast: microwaved sweet potato with salt & an over easy egg

Lunch & Dinner: leftover stuffed cabbage - it was totally delish. I'm running like a mad woman today so I also packed two apples & carrots for the car. 

Had a great workout this am. My thighs are killing me already. I also slept a little better last night  I'm a life-Long insomniac - slept from 9:30-12:30; awake for a half hour and then asleep again from 1-4  not too bad  when I couldn't sleep yesterday morning, I contemplated just getting up & taking a walk (3 in the morning)  I may do that tomorrow morning.  Then showering & going back to bed for a couple of hours  Ugh  

Warmly,

Aimee

ps: Thought this was funny; My Evernote recipe file projecting how I really want this to go  

IMG_2998.PNG

• Moderators
5 hours ago, guestdvp said:

Shannon - another forum question for you...when i quote someone and post a reply, it puts me at the end of that thread.  so then i have to scroll around for a while to figure out where i left off reading.  is there a way to avoid this - to reply to someone and then quickly get back to where you stopped reading?  thanks

Sort of. Instead of hitting Quote, hit the little plus sign -- that's the Multiquote function. You'll see a little thing pop up down at the bottom right of your screen that says "Quote 1 post" -- you can hit that for every post you want to quote and respond to, and then when you've gotten to the end of the page, click on the thing at the bottom of your screen that will now say "Quote (however many you've chose) posts" and it'll take you to the reply box, and all the posts you're quoting will be there. Just be sure you click between the boxes, not inside them, when you reply to keep it easy to read.

21 hours ago, StrivingToBeSteadfast said:

Also, any good recipies/brands for salad dressing? (Prefferably vinnagerette/italian) I find the one in the book is really oily.

Any salad suggestions or easy lunch suggestions? Trying to switch it up a bit- feeling a bit of food boredom. 

The whole 30 ranch using the homemade mayo has been a complete lifesaver for me! I thought it would be terrible with coconut milk, but it is SO good. You use 1 c. Homemade mayo, 1 c. Coconut milk, whisk. Add in 1 tsp. Garlic powder, 1 tsp. Onion powder, 1 Tbsp. Parsley, 1/2 tsp. Salt, 1/2 tsp. Black pepper, whisk and refrigerate! I dip my veggies, use it on salads, etc. Also, to thicken it you can add in mashed avocado! Yum!

@Motivatedmomma 

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE my homemade mayo mixed with garlic powder and a little fresh parsley (dried is ok in a pinch), and used for all of my dipping pleasures. I'm also guilty of licking the spoon every time I make it. I love mayo, and the homemade type with fresh lemon juice is SO FREAKING GOOD! 

But then again, I already knew I had a killer "fat tooth" along with my carby/sugary sweet tooth. 

Today is the end of day 4 and I'm really hungry!

I know I didn't have enough breakfast because I forgot that I was working 11:30am-10pm today, so was originally thinking I'd have breakfast when I got to work and dinner when I got home, but that would have shifted my meals too late and left me without having a first meal for several hours after waking. So instead, while I was rushing to get ready for work, I also rushed to throw together and eat breakfast - the best I could muster was two hard boiled eggs (the last two in the fridge, I usually eat three), two pickles, two clementines (not nearly enough produce, and no veggies for bulk other than two little pickled cucumbers), and a handful of black olives - all while getting dressed and then while driving to work about 10:45/11am. :blink:

It seemed ok at the time because I was satisfied, and I had my regularly scheduled breakfast of two Aidell's sausages with butternut squash and olives at lunch time around 3pm. But now, my coworkers are eating chicken parm and spaghetti with tomato sauce and the whole clinic smells so good... and I'm here for another several hours, so if I eat sooner than later, I'll still risk being hungry later tonight and not wanting to eat that late at night since I have to wake up for my regularly scheduled work shift starting at 7am tomorrow. :wacko:

I've been drinking tea and water, trying to fill my belly and get some fluids in. I'm trying to hold out until 8pm for dinner, which is another hour and a half away! :o

If I can't make it, and I have to eat dinner sooner, and I get hungry again later, maybe I'll have an egg or two fried in coconut oil, with some mayo, and a heap of EZ-steam veggies. Sigh. So much for trying to have my perfect planning in place! lol :huh:

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings I completely understand what you're saying. I thought I had everything well planned out too but a couple of bumps in the road almost derailed me. I do keep some Lara bars to hand, and some macadamia nuts. Understanding that these are not ideal, they're a whole lot better than eating something that's totally non-compliant. 

For lunch today, I really didn't feel like the meal I'd prepared so I had an apple with almond butter and some raspberries with coconut milk. My kitchen smells wonderful with the carcass of a roasted turkey simmering in the stock pot. I'm going to have homemade turkey soup with real bone broth and lots of wonderful veggies. That will make a great meal for tonight as well as several freezer meals.

@Silver Penguin Maybe I just needed to get it all out in writing to this online support community, because I was certainly feeling like I was wearing my very own little crown to my very own little pity party. :wacko: But as soon as I'd written it, and read your response, I felt better. 

This is a process. It's a journey. There's a learning curve. And just because I've done two successful w30's in the past, doesn't mean I'm not going to run along some bumps in the road and learn new things this time around. In fact, I really HOPE I learn some new things this time around, or else what is the point of being so introspective with how we feel after putting (or not putting) so many different food items into our mouths?

Anyway, "progress, not perfection," is my motto. And I'm making progress. ^_^

Glad to have lots of support along the way, too. Thank you!

I have a case of RX bars in my house left over from my post-w30 trip to Zion National Park this past June, but I haven't cracked it open because I don't want to lean on them like a crutch. There were times in my first two w30's that I did, and ended up using them to satisfy cravings for something sweet rather than just as emergency food. So for me, I kind of feel like I'll get into that slippery slope of keeping my sugar dragon at bay with technically compliant but not recommended food items, And being hungry at work is definitely not an emergency in my eyes, especially when I do have another awesome meal here waiting for me to eat it, and knowing I'll be leaving in three hours and will be home just 20 minutes after that. B)

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings so you've obviously learned a lot from your previous experiences with Whole 30. Yes, you can wear the crown and attend the private pity party but it's not really going to accomplish anything.

I had my lunch early-ish today and I have an exercise class after work, then a cooking marathon when I get home. I'm going to have a couple of hardboiled eggs instead of my emergency Lara bar. See - your slippery slope comment inspired me. Thank you.

You mentioned a clinic. Are you a nurse? doctor?

Jill

@Silver Penguin I'm a Registered Nurse at one hospital, where I work a 12.5+ hour day shift (7am-7:30pm+) full time in the Trauma Intensive Care Unit, and I'm a Family Nurse Practitioner in another hospital, where I work per diem, and my hours are generally 11:30am-10pm, sometimes an hour earlier to start and finish, but always a 10.5 hour shift.

The cafeteria in my per diem hospital is really quite limited, and often doesn't have any variety, so even before I was doing w30 I would bring most of my food in for at least two meals. The cafeteria at my full-time job is wonderful and has lots of options, but most are not w30 compliant (thankfully the salad bar is, and they stock boiled eggs, so that's been a life saver several times). Then there's the Au Bon Pain cafe at that same hospital, and there's even less that is w30 compliant. I generally don't even venture into that cafe because there are so many additives to the food, it's expensive, and I honestly just prefer to eat what I cook and bring along with me from home. 

Yeah, that slippery slope sure can get you - especially when you're in a rush or are so hungry that seeing even just an hour or so into the future is difficult. Those times I try to just drink water or hot tea and plug through. And gain support from these boards when I'm at a computer. Even if noone is around (thankfully you were and responded!), for me it just helps to write it down. Then I see either that I'm being silly, or whatever it may be, and can make a plan to deal with it. ;)

Today was good, just feeling a bit defeated.

I am going on a trip this weekend and I'm concerned about not being able to continue Whole30.. Not sure if I dont want to inconvienence the people I'm visiting, or if I just dont want to put in the effort. There's also the holidays coming up.

Should I start over after the holidays? I'm afraid if I quit now, I wont start back up again and continue to feel defeated. I dont know if I'll be able to do this.

I want to be able to have freedom with my food, and not be enslaved to my appetite or "sugar dragon". But it's just pretty hard right now. Will it be worth it?

19 hours ago, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

I'm a Registered Nurse at one hospital, where I work a 12.5+ hour day shift (7am-7:30pm+) full time in the Trauma Intensive Care Unit

So that's why we think a lot alike. I was a Pediatric ICU nurse before leaving the bedside to pursue a career in nursing informatics. I miss the ICU and traumas were often my favorite type of patient to take care of. Now, I work from home so I have things as easy as they can get for fixing my meals. Since I don't start work until 8am, I try to get up early and do a lot of stuff before then. The only downside to that is being exhausted then 5pm comes around but my energy level is rising now that I'm eating cleaner. 

Last night, after work I made a batch of home cooked dog food in less than half an hour (having set a crock pot and rice pan cooking earlier) then dashed off to an exercise class. When I got home, my two pots of bone broth were done so I removed the bones and skimmed the meat off them then made one of the pans into soup by adding some fresh veg. It made for a late dinner but I felt oh, so virtuous eating home made turkey soup with real bone broth from scratch.

Jill

17 hours ago, StrivingToBeSteadfast said:

Today was good, just feeling a bit defeated.

I am going on a trip this weekend and I'm concerned about not being able to continue Whole30.. Not sure if I dont want to inconvienence the people I'm visiting, or if I just dont want to put in the effort. There's also the holidays coming up.

Should I start over after the holidays? I'm afraid if I quit now, I wont start back up again and continue to feel defeated. I dont know if I'll be able to do this.

I want to be able to have freedom with my food, and not be enslaved to my appetite or "sugar dragon". But it's just pretty hard right now. Will it be worth it?

I say worth it to try to stick to Whole30 while on your vacation.  That must be extremely difficult but doable.  I don't think people pay attention to what we eat as much as we think they do.  If you have the time today, plan for the trip. What can you bring that you can munch on?  And then just stick as close as possible when you are on your trip.  I feel like the Holidays are a perfect time to work this program.  I don't want to start Jan 1 when everyone else is starting - starting now is empowering.  If I can make it through now - then it will be all the more motivating in 2017.  Best of luck - rooting for you!stick-with-it.gif

3 hours ago, BornToBeHappy said:

stick-with-it.gif

Ha! This graphic was just what I needed at work to stay on plan. Today is my second out of four days in a row at work and I'm actually really glad for the structure it will provide-- I have a feeling I wouldn't do quite as well at home. This, however, is despite the FOUR cheesecakes, TWO boxes of amazing mini pastries, one big red velvet cake, and entire gift basket of assorted chocolate truffles and candies that got dropped off to the staff from our adoring fans (patients' family members) today alone. I can only hope that no one comes to visit (selfishly) this weekend so that there are no more goodies I have to dive under a desk to avoid. :ph34r:

How is everyone else doing on day 5? Does anyone have a plan or strategy to get through the weekend??

1 hour ago, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

Ha! This graphic was just what I needed at work to stay on plan. Today is my second out of four days in a row at work and I'm actually really glad for the structure it will provide-- I have a feeling I wouldn't do quite as well at home. This, however, is despite the FOUR cheesecakes, TWO boxes of amazing mini pastries, one big red velvet cake, and entire gift basket of assorted chocolate truffles and candies that got dropped off to the staff from our adoring fans (patients' family members) today alone. I can only hope that no one comes to visit (selfishly) this weekend so that there are no more goodies I have to dive under a desk to avoid. :ph34r:

How is everyone else doing on day 5? Does anyone have a plan or strategy to get through the weekend??

My plan is to work out, have a great breakfast. Take lunch with me to my Vision Board seminar and then eat sweet potato chili when i get home. It's all ready to dump in the crockpot in the am. 

Sun I will food prep for next week. 

Feeling so strong. Happy that I decided to do this during Dec and not wait for Jan.  It makes turning down Holiday treats that much easier. 

My main challenges will be going to football games (3 during Dec) but I have already offered to be a Designated Driver which will take pressure off drinking. And when I'm not drinking, my food choices are much better. 

Also planning to either run to Whole Foods to get the approved dressing & 'mayo or order some through Amazon. I need to try the Ranch dressing recipe!!

You are killing it with your food prep - love it!!

Day 7!  I got through a major hurdle yesterday with hanging with some friends and going to lunch. Treated myself to a Lara Bar - Blueberry Muffin - yum.  Have been really good about sticking to this and am finding my energy is up a bit today.   Been doing yoga, walking and a light weight class or two this week.  Dying to weigh myself but I am going to hold off.  Feeling much less "poufy"!  :D  Planning on chicken fajitas tonight but no tortilla or dairy of course.  Just using lettuce to wrap them up.  Yum! Made a couple of recipes I found online and they were really not the greatest.  Looking at the book now that I just got from the library!  So many great options!  Hope you are all doing well on this journey! Keep up the good work!

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Redgirl said:

By the way - I have used the coconut oil to saute spinach and eggs.  Hate the taste!  Does ghee taste much better?  Or should I just use olive oil?   I have been using hot sauce to cover the taste of the coconut oil.  

Ghee will taste more like butter. If you ever buy compliant bacon, you can save the bacon grease and cook in it, or you can buy good quality lard or tallow to use, or you can find refined coconut oil which won't taste or smell like coconut. You can use olive oil -- honestly, evoo taste in my eggs bothers me more than coconut oil flavor, but you may not feel the same way, just be aware that there may be a flavor to it.

Archived