11/28...Ready to Start!

guestdvp

1 hour ago, Redgirl said:

By the way - I have used the coconut oil to saute spinach and eggs.  Hate the taste!  Does ghee taste much better?  Or should I just use olive oil?   I have been using hot sauce to cover the taste of the coconut oil.  

I've grown to like the taste - used to hate it and now I really like it. Olive oil is ok to use, but I agree with Shannon's suggestion of reserved bacon drippings. I save the fat from roasting chicken thighs and pork in separate containers in the fridge and use those fats later on when cooking.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just put two and two together. Today is day 6. I must be at the stage in the timeline where I'm combining The Hangover with Kill All The Things and I Need A Nap. Today I came in to work with such a puss on my face and have been a bitch on wheels to everyone I come into contact with. I'm usually so jovial, singing all the time, laughing and smiling, but today my coworkers have all kept their distance. lol :angry:

I'm doing better with drinking my fluids now that I've started incorporating hot tea. Seems that somehow goes down much more easily than cold water of carbonated drinks to help me get to my fluid intake goal.

Lunch time is approaching and I can feel the hunger pains in my stomach and I don't know if it's an NSV or what, but to really be so mindful and non-grazing that I actually get to a point where I have true hunger between meals-- it's been awhile. Actually, it's been since I did my last w30 in July. :o

5 hours ago, Redgirl said:

Day 7!  I got through a major hurdle yesterday with hanging with some friends and going to lunch. Treated myself to a Lara Bar - Blueberry Muffin - yum.  Have been really good about sticking to this and am finding my energy is up a bit today.   Been doing yoga, walking and a light weight class or two this week.  Dying to weigh myself but I am going to hold off.  Feeling much less "poufy"!  :D  Planning on chicken fajitas tonight but no tortilla or dairy of course.  Just using lettuce to wrap them up.  Yum! Made a couple of recipes I found online and they were really not the greatest.  Looking at the book now that I just got from the library!  So many great options!  Hope you are all doing well on this journey! Keep up the good work!

Way to go!  Eating out can be quite challenging  

I have posted all the recipes I have made and have not had a bad one yet.  

4 hours ago, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

I've grown to like the taste - used to hate it and now I really like it. Olive oil is ok to use, but I agree with Shannon's suggestion of reserved bacon drippings. I save the fat from roasting chicken thighs and pork in separate containers in the fridge and use those fats later on when cooking.

I'm sure you were just fine at work. We are too hard on ourselves sometimes. 

Finally made it to Whole Foods to get some of the approved items. Yikes - I'm an Aldi shopper and the prices at Whole Foods - just wow. I did buy two packages of the bacon because I'm not sure I will be back. Got dressing, mayo & coconut flour for the meatballs. 

Todaya meals

Breakfast: sweet potato & pear

Lunch: chicken & carrots

Dinner: Crockpot chili. Really good. 

http://www.onelovelylife.com/slow-cooker-sweet-potato-chili/

Sunday is food prep & yoga. 

Warmly,

Aimee

On 11/30/2016 at 9:37 PM, ShannonM816 said:

You can only edit posts for about 10-15 minutes after you post them, then they lock.

To respond to a specific post, either click the quote button on that post to quote it, as I did with yours here, or tag the person with the @ symbol next to their name -- when you start typing, it should pull up a list of names, just click the right one when you see it.

thanks! very helpful

Day 6 and going well for me. my energy seems to be back and no more headaches. I have not been wanting to eat but making myself eat my three meals like i should. Day 4 my energy level way low so I realized that I needed to probably eat and maybe a few starchy carbs..  I am feeling really good and positive but i need to go grocery shopping and figure out a few new things to eat.. i tend to eat same foods and i know i need to change it up a little. Hope everyone else had a great day 6.

Day 7 is almost in the bag. I'm half done with my work day, and because the morning was so busy, didn't get a chance to eat my breakfast until almost noon. Now it's 2pm and I'm feeling hungry, but I know it's not real hunger - it can't possibly be just two hours after 36oz of tea, two Aidell's chicken apple sausages, a clementine, and an entire avocado, can it?

I'm going to try to wait until at least 3:30pm to eat my lunch, but it may be difficult as all of my coworkers ordered out for pizza, so there are going to be sights and smells and temptations right under my nose. I've been excellent at avoiding the temptations so far though- I'm really dedicated to doing the full 30 days completely compliantly.

Tomorrow is a day off, working a late shift Tuesday, off Wednesday, and back to my normal shift Thursday. So in the morning tomorrow I'm going to try to wake up early and get to SAMs club around 8am for grocery shopping. I really want to get to Trader Joes also, but have a date with a friend in Manhattan, and I know I'm going to want a nap before I go down to see her, so I may have to just make it work with what I have in the house and what I can get at SAMs. We shall see. :) 

Happy Sunday and day 7 everyone!

Day 7 and the energy seems to be back. I just feel better internally and maybe have lost a bit of weight... at least the bloated look/feeling. Today i ate a late breakfast and included a nice serving of frozen blueberries.. so good but i got a headache when i ate them which was really really weird and it lasted most of the day. Not sure why.  Anyways hope you all are having a great day 7. I still haven't cooked anything other than my same foods. The hubby went grocery shopping tonite and we were both too lazy to look up any recipes so same foods as usual. He is doing a primal/paleo so not as strict but still working on it. I wish i could get him to try the whole30 but he won't. Oh well.  

I am really happy I am doing so well this week. I really needed and wanted  to clean the system out so that is probably why I am doing so well. But I am only on day 7 and I know from the past around day 20 is SO hard for me. I kinda hold my breath from day 20 to day 30 but this time around, I want to get through to the end with a different frame of mind because after day 30, I want to continue and maybe just have my gum and a few things back in. But I will worry about that later on. For now... just going from day to day. Tomorrow could become hard for whatever reason so I will just be happy it is going well. Still wish I could have my gum and put stuff in my coffee. I purposely started the whole30 between thanksgiving and christmas to keep myself in control of holiday food and drink and get into some good habits to start of the new year. Last year at this time, i just felt out of control with the sugar and all the stuff that comes with the holidays and gatherings. It left me depressed and not happy with the results. There is no reason to repeat that!!

Today was the first day I really had to use my Resistance Muscle. Over at my moms for dinner (she prepared salmon for me) but also made this amazing pasta pie for the rest of my family. Holy shnickeys that looked good. 

Cookies brought over by a friend but they had peppermint in them so easy to resist. Currently husband and daughter preparing more cookies for school tomorrow. I have my hot tea and the season finale of Westworld to get me through. 

Made twice baked sweet potatoes for breakfast this week. Have enough leftover chili for lunch and am doing a pork shoulder in the crockpot for dinner. We should be good for lunches for the week. 

^^^^I wrote the above last night but guess I forgot to press the button. 

Had the sweet potatoes for breakfast - they were so rich. Don't laugh but I kept thinking they tasted like a really rich cheesecake. In fact I couldn't finish it and am very full. 

@Sieb this is my first Whole 30 but I heed your warning about day 20. But like you i am just trying to take it day by day and meal by meal. The hardest part so far is not weighing myself -but I can console myself with looser fitting clothes. 

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings thanks for starting this thread. Your posts really inspire me to stick with it!!

Breakfast: twice baked sweet potatoes

lunch: leftover chili

dinner: pork shoulder and roasted red peppers. 

http://pureandsimplenourishment.blogspot.ca/2014/12/slow-cooker-apple-rosemary-pork-roast.html?m=1

Everyone have a great day. 

Aimee

These last 2 days have been super hard an today isn't feeling Any easier :/ I have a sinus infection and have been soooo hungry. So trying to combat eating for comfort (wanting all the crap) and just being super hungry and eating half my groceries already and I really want to quit :/ 

i know i cant but man it's hard . Hoping it gets better 

shelby

47 minutes ago, Shelblandrum said:

These last 2 days have been super hard an today isn't feeling Any easier :/ I have a sinus infection and have been soooo hungry. So trying to combat eating for comfort (wanting all the crap) and just being super hungry and eating half my groceries already and I really want to quit :/ 

shelby

Keep going!  Being sick sucks!!!  Maybe find a soup recipe you can nosh on for the next few days. I do think it will get better!  What other NSV are you seeing/feeling?  

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-nsv.pdf

23 minutes ago, H_Annapolis said:

Hi, can I join?  I started on the 28th, too, one week in the books!!  I slept a huge amount early in the week, but now I am finding that my energy levels are starting to hold steady through the day -- a HUGE NSV for me.  

Yes. Welcome! Awesome for the energy levels. I really can't think of a better time to start than right now. Pretty empowering to stick to it through the Holidays. 

Cheers!

On 12/2/2016 at 3:37 PM, BornToBeHappy said:

I say worth it to try to stick to Whole30 while on your vacation.  That must be extremely difficult but doable.  I don't think people pay attention to what we eat as much as we think they do.  If you have the time today, plan for the trip. What can you bring that you can munch on?  And then just stick as close as possible when you are on your trip.  I feel like the Holidays are a perfect time to work this program.  I don't want to start Jan 1 when everyone else is starting - starting now is empowering.  If I can make it through now - then it will be all the more motivating in 2017.  Best of luck - rooting for you!stick-with-it.gif

1 hour ago, Shelblandrum said:

shelby

Hang in there guys!!  I'm on day 8 and it's DRAMATIC how much better i feel than a week ago.  And probably the biggest part is the mental/emotional gain.  I was feeling so low I didn't even want to look in the mirror.  And today I'm feeling confident, not bloated, and happy.  I know it's a roller coaster of ups and downs.  And I was worried about doing this during the holidays.  But I am soooooo glad to be sticking with it.  It's actually making my holiday season BETTER than indulging and feeling bad about myself.  Get lots of rest, be kind to yourself, dive in to the support in the forum, subscribe to the daily emails, learn some new recipes, and believe me, it DOES get easier!!!

Thanks all for sharing your recipes.  Curious if you've discovered any new craving distraction techniques that have worked well for you?  I drink tea, take a 10 min power nap, surf the internet, but am also looking for new tricks to starve off that sugar dragon when it hits!

Well, it is day 8 and I feel absolutely great!  Energy level is consistently high and my digestive "issues" are dramatically better.  The headaches I had days 1-4 are completely gone, and I am now waking up fully rested and full of energy.  I am really looking forward to see how much better I will feel over the next 22 days!  I hope everyone else is hanging in there and staying 100% compliant with the Whole 30 plan.  I must say, I don't know if I have EVER not eaten any sugar for 8 days in my entire life...so this is a really big deal for me.

Last night my fiancé and her kids came home with burgers (on buns), breaded chicken strips, french fries, and Kona pie for desert from a local restaurant.  Fortunately for me, I had already eaten a wonderful Whole30 complaint meal consisting of fajita chicken (with fajita seasoning I made based on a recipe found on this site) with peppers and homemade guacamole.  I just politely left  the room while they were having their unhealthy food "orgy" and felt absolutely great about it!

Way to go everybody...we can do this!

Blessings,

Jonathan

13 hours ago, BornToBeHappy said:

Today was the first day I really had to use my Resistance Muscle. Over at my moms for dinner (she prepared salmon for me) but also made this amazing pasta pie for the rest of my family. Holy shnickeys that looked good. 

Cookies brought over by a friend but they had peppermint in them so easy to resist. Currently husband and daughter preparing more cookies for school tomorrow. I have my hot tea and the season finale of Westworld to get me through. 

Made twice baked sweet potatoes for breakfast this week. Have enough leftover chili for lunch and am doing a pork shoulder in the crockpot for dinner. We should be good for lunches for the week. 

^^^^I wrote the above last night but guess I forgot to press the button. 

Had the sweet potatoes for breakfast - they were so rich. Don't laugh but I kept thinking they tasted like a really rich cheesecake. In fact I couldn't finish it and am very full. 

@Sieb this is my first Whole 30 but I heed your warning about day 20. But like you i am just trying to take it day by day and meal by meal. The hardest part so far is not weighing myself -but I can console myself with looser fitting clothes. 

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings thanks for starting this thread. Your posts really inspire me to stick with it!!

Breakfast: twice baked sweet potatoes

lunch: leftover chili

dinner: pork shoulder and roasted red peppers. 

http://pureandsimplenourishment.blogspot.ca/2014/12/slow-cooker-apple-rosemary-pork-roast.html?m=1

Everyone have a great day. 

Aimee

Yes don;t weigh yourself until the end... sometimes you are bloated, etc and seeing numbers on the scale will just mess with you even if the numbers are down. Looser clothes are the best, aren't they??!!

13 hours ago, Shelblandrum said:

shelby

Keep going Shelby!! it is so worth it!!!!!!

On 11/30/2016 at 10:19 PM, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

Posting photos is SO much easier this time around since August when I had last used this website. I love the site update! :wub:

Earlier today I'd posted photos of my breakfasts for the next four days - two Aidell's chicken and apple sausages with a heap of rosemary roasted butternut squash, to be served with half of an avocado (not pictured). 

Here are photos of what I've made for my lunches for the next four days - two containers with roasted cauliflower with almond crusted tilapia filets (and also not pictured are the other halves of avocado I plan to have with breakfast), and two containers with sautéed asparagus and shrimp cocktail to be served with my lovely garlic aioli. Don't mind the container that says "cat food" on the lid -- it was the only little lid like that I had clean! :D

I tasted a tiny fallen off piece of fish from the pan and it was really good, as was the aioli. Mmmmmmmm. Looking forward to educating all of my coworkers on what w30 is and why it's so good for us to eat this way when they ask why I don't want to order take-out with them. :)

IMG_4692[1].JPG

IMG_4690[2].JPG

IMG_4691[1].JPG

ohhh do you mind sharing the talapia recipie?? I am dying over that.. looks so good!

The start of Day 9! yay. Last night I woke up from a dream that I had eaten something without thinking about it and I was like, Oh no!!! That is on the Whole30. And... the start of the weird dreams. Last Whole30 I did the same.. so weird to dream about it!

I had my first Christmas party last night and can happily report I made it out just fine. I tried to order a club soda with lemon/lime (I never know which one its suppose to be. ha) and they only had beers and wine so I just had water. I was testing out the club soda thing but that didn't work. And I had some fruit just as a little treat. I had eaten my dinner of Chicken and tons of veggies before so I was not hungry. I was not tempted what so ever so I was super happy! Only one more holiday party to get through, which I am a little more worried about as it is my husbands work party but I know I will be fine. Fancy and with some of the best foods and full bar. This party will be much harder to get through so I need to prepare myself.

Cheers to Day 9! 

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 10:16 PM, Sieb said:

I purposely started the whole30 between thanksgiving and christmas to keep myself in control of holiday food and drink and get into some good habits to start of the new year. Last year at this time, i just felt out of control with the sugar and all the stuff that comes with the holidays and gatherings. It left me depressed and not happy with the results. There is no reason to repeat that!!

You definitely don't have to feel that way ever again if you don't want to. I remember feeling that very same way last year between the potluck parties at work and the family members of our patients bringing in trays of goodies and even going to my friends' houses and overeating at every opportunity. This year will be much better for all of us.

30 minutes ago, Sieb said:

The start of Day 9! yay. Last night I woke up from a dream that I had eaten something without thinking about it and I was like, Oh no!!! That is on the Whole30. And... the start of the weird dreams. Last Whole30 I did the same.. so weird to dream about it!

I had my first Christmas party last night and can happily report I made it out just fine. I tried to order a club soda with lemon/lime (I never know which one its suppose to be. ha) and they only had beers and wine so I just had water. I was testing out the club soda thing but that didn't work. And I had some fruit just as a little treat. I had eaten my dinner of Chicken and tons of veggies before so I was not hungry. I was not tempted what so ever so I was super happy! Only one more holiday party to get through, which I am a little more worried about as it is my husbands work party but I know I will be fine. Fancy and with some of the best foods and full bar. This party will be much harder to get through so I need to prepare myself.

Cheers to Day 9! 

I had those dreams ALOT during my last two w30's, but only once so far I think this time around. Good job with the holiday party so far, and good luck with the next one. You are doing great!!!

25 minutes ago, Shelblandrum said:

Thank you!!! 

Im now running a fever and staying home from work so hoping I sleep the day away instead of craving food!

I hope you feel better! I haven't ever made it, but people rave about the health benefits of bone broth-- maybe you can have/make some of that (in the crockpot while you're sleeping?) and drink it to lead you to better health? As a person of the Jewish faith, I can personally vouch for the healing benefits of chicken soup, so if bone broth is out of reach, a simple chicken soup will also do wonders, if you can get it.

@Sieb To make that fish (also works for chicken, thin cut pork, etc.) I just made an egg wash out of leftover egg white from my mayo - beat a small amount of salt and lots of fresh ground black pepper into the egg white and set it into a rectangular Tupperware. It didn't look like a lot but was fine for four filets. Then in another rectangular Tupperware I put almond meal that I'd gotten from Trader Joes (I know you can also buy it online from bulk online retailers, or make it yourself - which then could control how grainy it is. A little chunkier might be nice.) and added onion and garlic powders and Old Bay (read the package to make sure it's compliant in your region) seasoning to taste. I melted a glob of coconut oil and added some olive oil into a low nonstick pan and got that hot. Then I just dipped the fish into the egg to coat, let it drip a little, plunked it into the seasoned almond meal, coated both sides generously, and then transferred to the hot pan and let cook until it browned up just a little, then flipped and did the same for the other side. SO DELICIOUS!!! I do the same with a mix of coconut flour and unsweetened coconut shavings to make coconut shrimp, coconut fish, etc. That is also really REALLY good.

Today is day 9 and I'm working a late shift at my second job (11:30am to 10pm), but am going to be prepared with two full meals, plenty of tea to drink, and I'm eating breakfast as we speak. I'm feeling pretty great right now and am looking forward to this to continue. Not so much tiger blood or high energy, but just less bloated/less like a stuffed sausage, more regular in the bathroom, less munchy (aside from my normal evening munchies) during the day, less hungry during the day, and more mindful of what I'm eating as well.

Yesterday I went to see a friend in Manhattan and had a great day shopping at the different winter villages in Union Square Park and Bryant Park. There were so many vendors with awesome products - many of which were food centered, so I was sad that I couldn't sample any of those neat products or purchase and devour any of the REALLY delicious smelling foods coming from the food vendors. My friend was really proud of my resolve with sticking with my w30 and so was I!!! In the past I know I would have gotten so much crap and had a really great time eating it and then feeling like crap myself afterwards... between the Nutella-filled fresh made churros, to the brie and apple filled grilled cheese sandwiches to the ambrosia cookies filled with pear, fig, apricot, oats and other goodies.... but I was strong.  B) We did pass by a lovely farmer's market where I bought the biggest honey crisp apple I've ever seen, but saved that until later and had it with dinner - it was so good! Then we headed to a really great restaurant (organic local style) where I asked a few questions (I didn't have to ask so much because the restaurant served all fresh-made simple ingredient meals, and in NYC restaurant staff is used to a lot of special requests, but I still made sure to tip really well!) and got a beautiful salad of chopped fresh greens, red and yellow bell peppers, red onion, Kalamata olives, cucumbers and herbs, and topped with black pepper crusted seared fresh sushi grade tuna (almost completely raw throughout, just seared on the outside). They brought olive oil and balsamic vinegar to the table since the intended dressing had a bit of sugar, and I just used olive oil generously to dress it and eat as an added fat. It was great and so satisfying to be able to order and eat at a restaurant with relative ease and get something delicious and totally compliant. I'd definitely go back there again.

I'm off from work tomorrow and have an early dentist appointment, but would like to get to SAMs club before my appointment since I didn't get there yesterday as planned. I'm also going to run after my appointment to Trader Joes and HMart (for some koimo potatoes, salmon and basa-- they have a great fish market!), and if I have time/energy, to Stop and Shop for more Aidell's sausages. I'd like to get some batch cooking done so I don't have to prepare meal-by-meal like I have been the last two days. We'll see how it goes!

Today I am having cravings for some potato chips.  Or just anything crispy/crunchy like that.  I am eating an apple and baby carrots instead.

B'Fast: Eggs & sweet potato

B'fast: leftover apple pulled pork (it was really good).

Dinner: ham & caulifolower bake

http://meljoulwan.com/2015/03/31/paleo-creole-ham-and-cauliflower-rice/

Challenges this week are two Holiday Parties on Sat:  But I am going in prepared & ready to rock that.  

As with everything in life where I have tasted success, preparation is the key.

I got over my potato chip craving.  Walked to the store & got a baked potato & nuked it & put my leftover pulled pork on it.  Wonderful & filling.  

ALSO NSV - stopped at a thrift store in between work today & got a size 12 jeans.  Woot!  Muffin top action working but they fit around the waist.  Woohoooohoo!  Also got a new wool sweater in size Large when I am normally an XL.

Sweet!

Breakfast - compliant bacon & eggs; pear

Lunch: salad

Dinner; http://meljoulwan.com/2015/03/31/paleo-creole-ham-and-cauliflower-rice/ Was supposed to make it last night but forgot I had ordered three meals thorugh Hello Fresh & they arrived yesterday.  So I cooked the one with shrimp - it was really good.  Everything was compliant except for the rice & the soy sauce they sent.  So I dished mine out before I mixed the rice and soy sauce in.  It really was good.  Looks like the other two meals I ordered are not compliant so I will use them Thurs/Fri for the family & just eat the leftovers.

Listented to one of my favorite podcasts today "Happier wtih Gretchen Rubin."  One of the topics was to NOT treat yourself with food.  That if it's going to make you feel crappier later on, then it's not really a treat.  Feel like I am getting that message loud & clear with the Whole 30.  Excited to get through this month with not dreading Jan 1.

How is everyone doing?

Cheers!

Archived