11/28...Ready to Start!

guestdvp

@Kathleenkp Congrats on your training and becoming a triathlete! I have raced for 13 years now, completed 3 full distance Ironmans, approx 5-7HIM (I can't keep count anymore) and several handful of sprints and olys. Yes, so this sept i did my third full distance IM and I raced it with gaining weight as well. So weird how that happens, right?? One would think we would be so fit and be at our all time best weight from all the training. I know so many friends that started racing through the years that thought they would be in the best shape of their life but come race day, not at all. I actually gained weight in the last 6 weeks of this last race and in the process lost so much muscle this time around (2nd one, i got super muscular) My husband always reminds me back in my early days where I only did sprints is where i was my fittest.  

I am actually going back to sprints this season for many reasons, training time mostly, i am kinda over the IM thing as its gotten so trendy (but also has been the BEST time of my life), the increasing costs, my kiddies (who are 16 and 20 but still I want to spend more time with them instead of training) but also I am more interested in losing weight and building muscle which is not happening in my long-distance life! However, I do love the 70.3 distance and fighting the urge to race them. I promised myself not this season.

Anyways, I read your post about your weight loss and your training and got all excited... from one tri gal to another.. so inspiring!  Right now on day 27 on the W30, i have completed two other ones... I am taking my workouts into consideration and think for now while trying to lose weight, i am keeping the workouts in check and limiting cardio as I have tried to lose the 10-15lbs for years and years and I get no where with that. I get more fit, more musclar at times, but i have always had a higher body fat on my body. so this W30, I have lost a little body fat as I can tell, but I am going to keep going as close to this as I can untll my bday in June and see what happens. It's just one big experiment. I just feel so good getting all the crap out of my body (even though I have eating pretty whole foods for years, but I do get a bit crazy with some favorites like choc covered peanuts and going out for dinner on occassion, etc. and I do like beer) But if I ever want to get the body where I want it to really be, I know it has to be with consistency. So the W30 has been a great thing to get me started.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sieb - Thanks for sharing your triathlon story - that is exciting for me to read!  While I hope to do another HIM, I think my primary races will be Oly.  I have a sprint I do each year with my swimmer son - it's "our thing".  

I was surprised to compare how I am eating now with - for example - a smoothie made in my Vitamix consisting of protein powder, 3 dates, orange or cherries, and flax seeds to have after a 60-70 mile bike ride.  It would come in with 53 grams of sugar, which is almost as much as I am eating in a whole day now.  While I only had those kinds of things after the really long workouts, I am guessing some of my weight gain issues during training came from things like that.  I don't know how I will find the balance between fueling the workouts (that I could not sustain now with the low sugars I'm eating) and figuring out the weight gain.  My plan for this winter was to cut back significantly on the cardio (exception: building for the big swim I'm doing next week with my Master's group), keep up the weight training and really focus on figuring out this eating thing.

NoMoreCruncyCravings - I appreciate all your posts and read them with great interest.

We are on day 28 now.  On Tuesday we do our first reintroduction.  But it is also the day to take measurements and I'm worried I will feel like things have failed and give up.

In regards to my running plans - I ended up with bursitis in my knee this summer and my doctor gave me a steroid shot.  The whole back of knee was inflamed as things wrap around the inside of my knee and down over the bursa.  I had hoped to see an improvement in this during the program, but I woke up the other day in quite some pain.  I think it is safe to say that the food I was eating was not directly contributing to the problem.  But, indirectly, by the excess weight, it is.

I also have been having intestinal cramps.  I don't get them often - but they come in groups when I do (maybe 1-2/day over a week, then I won't have them for a few months).  They showed up the other day.  I'm glad they did at this time - I had wondered if the food I was eating was contributing to this, and now I know it's not.  Most of our vegetables are eaten cooked.  We haven't added any new foods that I can trace the cramping to.  The cramping in the moment is not a huge issue for me - it lasts less than 30 seconds and I get through it with controlled breathing.  One of my doctors witnessed one when he changed the position of the exam table I was sitting in.  It worried him, so I asked a GI doctor about it and he didn't seem too concerned.  But if something I was eating was causing it to happen, that would have been good to know.  

I am working today (Christmas Eve) through Monday.  We opened presents and had our family Christmas dinner last night - roasted turkey breast with onions, sweet potato wedges baked in cider and cinnamon, and green beans with lemon and garlic.   My husband and I thought the dinner tasted like dessert, but the kids said it definitely did not.  There was about 1 tablespoon of cider per giant sweet potato, of which we each ate about half (so not a lot of cider to accomplish that sweet taste).  We pick up on sweetness in foods that we didn't before.

I have the same breakfast most mornings - and I like it that way.  

Today:

breakfast: eggs, sweet potato, grapefruit

lunch: salmon cakes with tartar sauce, riced broccoli with mushrooms, apple

dinner: turkey, sweet potato, green beans (leftover Christmas dinner!)

I still have to get in a swim before work, so I will take an egg and banana in case I need them.  There is probably too much sweet potato today - not that I mind eating it at all.  I think I will add in some leftover cucumber and peppers for lunch. 

Your post made me smile, @NoMoreCrunchyCravings.  I remember several occasions when I was precepting a newer nurse and had to ask him/her to quietly stand and watch, take notes and make a list of questions for later. The patient's needs must come first especially when they're unstable. In hindsight, those crazy busy assignments were my favorite. Like you, I went home exhausted but I really felt as though I'd made a difference in someone's life. I miss that part of nursing but enjoy my work in informatics now.

Jill

2 hours ago, Silver Penguin said:

Your post made me smile, @NoMoreCrunchyCravings.  I remember several occasions when I was precepting a newer nurse and had to ask him/her to quietly stand and watch, take notes and make a list of questions for later. The patient's needs must come first especially when they're unstable. In hindsight, those crazy busy assignments were my favorite. Like you, I went home exhausted but I really felt as though I'd made a difference in someone's life. I miss that part of nursing but enjoy my work in informatics now.

Jill

Yes, always the patients' needs come first. Sometimes it's hard to really shine light on that when discussing on the forums how I'm not able to keep my mealtime schedule at work, and justifying why eating an emergency RX bar at work might really constitute an emergency, as it might be the only thing I'd be able to eat some days until 4 or 5pm. I'm glad you've got a fulfilling life in informatics. Being a nurse is truly a wonderful gift.

4 hours ago, Kathleenkp said:

NoMoreCruncyCravings - I appreciate all your posts and read them with great interest.

Thank you, @Kathleenkp

We are on day 28 now.  On Tuesday we do our first reintroduction.  But it is also the day to take measurements and I'm worried I will feel like things have failed and give up.

I also feel this way... I think it will be the first time for me doing w30 that I didn't lose weight. My clothing even feels tighter today on day 27 than it did on day 1. But, I also feel better than I have in months. I'm sure if I could get some more regular sleep and do a little bit of exercise (I did NONE this entire month), I'd have lost weight. Glad to have the other NSVs to carry us through if the weight or measurements don't pan out for us.

Day 27 is done. I've been sleeping pretty crappy the last two nights... I think because my husband went upstate to see his family and celebrate Christmas. I usually sleep like trash when I'm not with him. Then it's been really busy at work, so my mealtimes are all out of whack. It's making me tired and cranky, and I think I'll just try to finish up what I'm doing ASAP and get to bed as I have to work again tomorrow. Funny though how, even though I've been sleeping poorly, I was still able to wake up bright eyes and bushy tailed this morning well before the alarm and get a ton of stuff done before work. The first time maybe that's ever happened.

Anyway, tonight is the first night of Hanukkah and since I was alone, and missing my mom who passed away in the spring, I didn't feel much like celebrating or lighting candles. So I've been cooking for my work luncheon tomorrow and watching Indiana Jones movies. I hope everyone who is celebrating the holidays has a wonderful time with friends and family, and an easy time sticking with the Whole 30!

Today is my day 29. I'm off from work today after working the last three days (42 hours) and will be working the next three (38+? hours). I'm exhausted today and probably will be even more so with each successive day through Thursday night, but Friday starts a vacation from work and after that I don't have to go back until January 9th (will be out of the country for a week of it), so I'll have plenty of time to rest before then. I'm planning to continue my w30 eating through Thursday night so that I can maximize on my energy and not have any energy or mood highs and lows, and then do reintroductions followed by making the best choices I can when traveling.

Christmas was ok eating-wise as I had prepped and tupperwared several meals since I worked Friday through Sunday and came home to an empty house (I celebrate Hanukkah anyhow) because my husband went out of town to be with his dad upstate. I cooked two noncompliant foods to bring along with me to work to share with coworkers during our all-day potluck (breakfast bake of sautéed potatoes, scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon, and a crockpot full of cheddar, spinach and artichoke dip with crackers) and absentmindedly ate a piece of bacon while cooking before I realized what I was doing... sigh. I'm not starting over, but used it as a learning experience to always be mindful, even when just cooking at home. I did *not* absentmindedly lick the spoon of the dip even though I wanted to rub it all over myself and lick it off... really do want to finish out the 30 days on a high point. Everyone at work was trying to push the baked macaroni and cheese, cheese plate, homemade pizzas, rigatonis with homemade sauce and fresh mozzarella, cakes, brownies, cookies, etc. that people had brought in, but I stuck with my packaged meals brought from home (roasted chicken with steamed broccoli/carrots/cauliflower medley, mayo, turkey/beef burgers, red peppers, pickles, grapefruit) and was happier for it (two of my coworkers had to take a nap after lunch from eating all of that crap!). I was so tired last night when I got home that all I could manage was to fall asleep. Didn't even eat supper.

Woke up feeling a bit tired but refreshed from a good night's sleep and no early alarm. Aside from resting today, I'm going to be doing a bit of a cookup for the next several days. I've already made some sausages of which I ate two for breakfast, dipped in mayo, and served with a cut up grapefruit and some big half sour pickles (yum!). Lunch is going to be potato salad (roasted potatoes, celery, red onion, salt/pepper, mayo) with roasted chicken and steamed asparagus, and dinner will be either some crockpot venison stew that I made the other day, or eggs fried in coconut oil with avocado and sautéed Brussels sprouts.

How did everyone else do throughout Christmas?

Great job on getting through your Christmas work offerings!  I don't know how you are going to do a trip out of the country eating this way.  That's impressive - I know it will take a lot more thought and effort to feed yourself well.

We are on day 30 today.  

The weekend was fine for me b/c I was at work.  There were a few treats people baked and brought in, but I didn't taste them.  I felt obligated to ooh-and-aah and comment on them, which did make it a little bit harder than just walking past them.  But my co-workers didn't push or insist.  Fortunately most of them have done various things in an effort of health, so they were understanding, although felt bad that I had to miss all the holiday treats this past month.  I explained that it was necessary in regards to my training cycles - although if it turns out that I need to do something like this regularly, I will time it more for October-November in the future.  I didn't look into this program until mid November, so waited until after Thanksgiving so that we could read the beginning part of the book and get ourselves prepared mentally and with grocery items.  I've been surprised at how easy it was for me to follow the program - it reinforces that for me, I can follow things easily enough (will-power is not so much an issue) as long as I have rules set up to follow.

I will see what the measurements bring tomorrow and we will figure out how we want to move forward once we know that information.  We have a plan already, but may need to change it.  

I'm on day 30 today. I have a compliant breakfast and lunch with me at work today, and I was thinking of staying fully compliant through the new year, but that would leave me doing my entire reintroduction while traveling abroad. So I think I will actually start reintroductions tomorrow. I'm going to begin with dairy. I have already prepped compliant foods for meals 1-3 for today, tomorrow and Thursday as I'm working hospital shifts all of them, so I think I'll just add a bit of dairy to my three meals tomorrow, then back to compliant for two days, then glutinous grains the following day, and sugar the next reintro day after that, with alcohol and nonglutinous grains following.

What is everyone else's plan during reintroductions? And what were your NSVs and SVs from the month?

Congratulations on finishing your third Whole30, nomorecrunchycravings!

I lost 13.6 pounds.  My husband lost 10.2 pounds.   (It's still hard for me to tell I lost that much b/c most of it came from my abominal area - which is where my pants are usually loose anyway.)

I kept track of my food after the first 10 days, and the interesting thing for me is that I lost all that weight eating around the same number of calories that I was gaining weight on before.  Clearly something I stopped eating has been messing with my metabolism.  

So today was supposed to be day 1 introduction - of sugar.  But it didn't work out so well.  I had a little honey on my sweet potatoes this morning, but only about 1/3 the serving, it turns out.  About 1/2 hour later my head was buzzing and my center of gravity felt off.  That was followed shortly by my head feeling like it was swelling up a little.  (I don't know if it was the sugar, or my surroundings/situation, or the cold that I still have.)

That was as far as I got b/c I ended up spending the day with my son trying to figure out if he needed emergency surgery (thankfully he doesn't).  My husband grabbed leftovers from the house and then met us at the hospital.  I picked up a few things from a fancy grocery store that were compliant to add.  So we just went back to what was simpler - to eat what we were used to.  We will try again tomorrow.  

Neither of us really wanted to eat sugars.  I sat there looking at the honey for a while before adding it. It's not normally something I would go for.  It tasted OK, but I didn't need it to be happy with my breakfast.  My husband put sugar in his coffee.  He said he really wanted to add some cream, but then he would be on a slippery slope.    We were adding sugars so that we could add some in sausages, cured meats, Dijon, etc - not treats or desserts.  And yet - I do look forward to having some chocolate.

So, since this worked in many ways, we are looking at it as just finishing the first step.  Now we need to find out how foods we've removed affect us.  I think this may take a few months.  We have felt like we have barely scratched the surface in options for compliant foods - or mostly so ones - so we won't be bored.  We really like having the dishes of leftovers available all the time.  We have always cooked to have leftovers, but things have been different over the last 30 days.  It seems like there are always various vegetable options for us to choose from.

16 hours ago, Kathleenkp said:

Congratulations on finishing your third Whole30, nomorecrunchycravings!

I lost 13.6 pounds.  My husband lost 10.2 pounds.   (It's still hard for me to tell I lost that much b/c most of it came from my abominal area - which is where my pants are usually loose anyway.)

I kept track of my food after the first 10 days, and the interesting thing for me is that I lost all that weight eating around the same number of calories that I was gaining weight on before.  Clearly something I stopped eating has been messing with my metabolism.  

So today was supposed to be day 1 introduction - of sugar.  But it didn't work out so well.  I had a little honey on my sweet potatoes this morning, but only about 1/3 the serving, it turns out.  About 1/2 hour later my head was buzzing and my center of gravity felt off.  That was followed shortly by my head feeling like it was swelling up a little.  (I don't know if it was the sugar, or my surroundings/situation, or the cold that I still have.)

That was as far as I got b/c I ended up spending the day with my son trying to figure out if he needed emergency surgery (thankfully he doesn't).  My husband grabbed leftovers from the house and then met us at the hospital.  I picked up a few things from a fancy grocery store that were compliant to add.  So we just went back to what was simpler - to eat what we were used to.  We will try again tomorrow.  

Neither of us really wanted to eat sugars.  I sat there looking at the honey for a while before adding it. It's not normally something I would go for.  It tasted OK, but I didn't need it to be happy with my breakfast.  My husband put sugar in his coffee.  He said he really wanted to add some cream, but then he would be on a slippery slope.    We were adding sugars so that we could add some in sausages, cured meats, Dijon, etc - not treats or desserts.  And yet - I do look forward to having some chocolate.

So, since this worked in many ways, we are looking at it as just finishing the first step.  Now we need to find out how foods we've removed affect us.  I think this may take a few months.  We have felt like we have barely scratched the surface in options for compliant foods - or mostly so ones - so we won't be bored.  We really like having the dishes of leftovers available all the time.  We have always cooked to have leftovers, but things have been different over the last 30 days.  It seems like there are always various vegetable options for us to choose from.

Thank you so much! To you as well!! Your SV is awesome-- as is your husband's!

Strange reaction to the honey. And I'm sorry you're going through such a stressful time with your son. Good thinking buying compliant foods and having your husband bring leftovers. Sticking closely to what you're used to when your emotional state is going through a lot of stress is probably the best thing you can do for yourself. Sending healing vibes for your son.

Sounds good as far as having lots of other options to choose from and dishes to try out-- that way you won't get bored, which is also important in working to stay compliant.

You sounds like you've done great.

Today's reintroduction was dairy and went fairly well. I put cream in my coffee and was amazed at how creamy and delicious it was, and how it was sweet enough without adding any sugar at all (used to add quite a bit, but less and less after each successive w30). I ate a Greek yogurt with breakfast, but forgot to bring anything non Whole-30 with me (I stole the yogurt out of the patient fridge on my nursing unit!), so I'll have cheese maybe with my dinner, and perhaps use butter to fry my eggs instead of coconut oil. So far so good. I've become a little congested from the dairy (to be expected, it happened with my other two w30's too), but no brain fog or sluggishness. But then again, I had a cup of coffee in the morning and haven't had one in a few weeks, and I can honestly still feel the stimulant effect it gave me coursing through my veins hours and hours later. It's a weird feeling and I think I'd rather avoid caffeine on a regular basis and really just use it when I'm exceptionally tired or have a headache in the future.

Also, I tried one of the Epic brand jerky packs (pork, I think?), which is w30 compliant. I want to bring some along with me when I'm abroad so that I can fall back on a compliant protein source if there's nothing else I feel comfortable eating. I got a couple of the compliant Epic bars, too. They look so good on the front of the labels, and then you turn them around and they look like a moist turd under the clear plastic packaging. :wacko: I'll try them though - would be good to carry some of them along on my trips.

I weighed myself and actually didn't record the weight I started at, but I think if I remember correctly, I've gained about 3.5 pounds. I know the point of this diet isn't to lose weight, but I really do need to. I'm not able to physically do all the things I want to do, and I know it's because my weight sometimes holds me back. But I just feel so much better inside my body over the course of these 30 days... I've read tons of posts where moderators comment that our bodies will let go of the weight when we're healed enough... but I think eating lots and lots (more than to the point of satiety sometimes to combat perceived cravings) and not exercising even a drop over my baseline of walking about 4-5 miles/day (at work, usually) has put me in a position where I've taken in more calories than expended, which will lead to weight gain scientifically speaking. The possible weight gain was why I listed my NSVs here  the other day... which I'm really glad about. But I won't lie to myself or anyone else and say I wasn't disappointed to see the scale having gone up.

But alas, it is what it is. It's not going to stop me from continuing with my reintroductions and then when I come back home from abroad, doing another Whole 30 in February.

How is everyone else's reintroduction going?

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the weight loss that you had hoped for.  That's what I was afraid would happen to me, so I'm especially sympathetic to where you are now.  How are you doing mentally with that after you have had a couple days to process it?

Because of what happened to you, I talked with my husband and we are going to stay *more* Whole30-ish than we had planned for at least another two months.  My past experience is that something only works for me once - after that, it's a struggle to get even smaller results the next time around.  Since I'm getting good results right now and feeling capable of continuing, I think it will be best if we stay right on track and not take a break/come back.  Besides, it's still good timing for me in regards to training cycles.  I was concerned that my husband would feel like I moved the finish line on him.  But he said that he wants to lose another 20 pounds, he really likes how he feels right now, and his need/desire/passion for cooking has been more than met during the past 30 days.  In fact, he felt it gave him a bit of a challenge as we re-thought out recipes to make them Whole30 compliant, or found new ones.  He also liked that I spent more time in the kitchen with him (I cook, too, but I have other things that drive my interests - whereas it is his primary hobby).  Also, neither of us is convinced that we have broken the cravings we had before and we haven't had enough time to ingrain the new habits to make them our natural leaning.  We are currently planning to add beans, occasional cheese/sour cream (i.e. dairies with no or very few sugars in them), and possibly corn (we don't eat it very often) - depending on how our reintroductions go.  We will test grains and gluten,  but don't plan to keep eating them most of the time. 

As far as my triathlon training goes, I won't have energy to do long workouts then, for at least a couple more months.  I have to pick either working at getting my eating/nutrition (and weight) back under control OR longer workouts.  I think in the long run, it will be healthier to have less weight to lug around on the bike or on foot.  So this will probably mean I can only do Sprint triathlons beginning late Spring, with a possible Olympic distance by late summer.  

Yesterday we tried again to add sugars.  At breakfast, I got out the honey for my sweet potatoes, then got to the very last bite of my breakfast and realized I had never put it on anything.  So I had to swallow a spoonful of honey.  I added beet sugar to my tea twice yesterday.  And I had some BBQ sauce on my meat at lunch.  The sugars didn't seem to bother me - but I was busy all day.  I mostly don't notice head and GI things unless it's bad enough to need some OTC medication or unless I'm sitting somewhere waiting (like a doctor's office or hospital).  The other thing I noticed (since I log sugars) is that I still didn't consume any more sugars than I have been over the last 30+ days.  So maybe I need to have more sugars to see if it is affecting me?  My husband had a similar experience in adding sugars throughout the day.  

Today we are back on strict Whole30.

7 hours ago, Kathleenkp said:

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get the weight loss that you had hoped for.  That's what I was afraid would happen to me, so I'm especially sympathetic to where you are now.  How are you doing mentally with that after you have had a couple days to process it?

Because of what happened to you, I talked with my husband and we are going to stay *more* Whole30-ish than we had planned for at least another two months.  My past experience is that something only works for me once - after that, it's a struggle to get even smaller results the next time around.  Since I'm getting good results right now and feeling capable of continuing, I think it will be best if we stay right on track and not take a break/come back.  Besides, it's still good timing for me in regards to training cycles.  I was concerned that my husband would feel like I moved the finish line on him.  But he said that he wants to lose another 20 pounds, he really likes how he feels right now, and his need/desire/passion for cooking has been more than met during the past 30 days.  In fact, he felt it gave him a bit of a challenge as we re-thought out recipes to make them Whole30 compliant, or found new ones.  He also liked that I spent more time in the kitchen with him (I cook, too, but I have other things that drive my interests - whereas it is his primary hobby).  Also, neither of us is convinced that we have broken the cravings we had before and we haven't had enough time to ingrain the new habits to make them our natural leaning.  We are currently planning to add beans, occasional cheese/sour cream (i.e. dairies with no or very few sugars in them), and possibly corn (we don't eat it very often) - depending on how our reintroductions go.  We will test grains and gluten,  but don't plan to keep eating them most of the time. 

I'm glad you decided to stick with it-- I can totally understand knowing that the first time something works is the only time it works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

As far as my triathlon training goes, I won't have energy to do long workouts then, for at least a couple more months.  I have to pick either working at getting my eating/nutrition (and weight) back under control OR longer workouts.  I think in the long run, it will be healthier to have less weight to lug around on the bike or on foot.  So this will probably mean I can only do Sprint triathlons beginning late Spring, with a possible Olympic distance by late summer.  

Yesterday we tried again to add sugars.  At breakfast, I got out the honey for my sweet potatoes, then got to the very last bite of my breakfast and realized I had never put it on anything.  So I had to swallow a spoonful of honey.  I added beet sugar to my tea twice yesterday.  And I had some BBQ sauce on my meat at lunch.  The sugars didn't seem to bother me - but I was busy all day.  I mostly don't notice head and GI things unless it's bad enough to need some OTC medication or unless I'm sitting somewhere waiting (like a doctor's office or hospital).  The other thing I noticed (since I log sugars) is that I still didn't consume any more sugars than I have been over the last 30+ days.  So maybe I need to have more sugars to see if it is affecting me?  My husband had a similar experience in adding sugars throughout the day.  

Today we are back on strict Whole30.

Do you really need to consume more sugars to see how it will effect you? If you're not really planning to have much sugar aside from the odd deli meat or bite of a dessert from time to time, why go nuts reintroducing it with oodles and oodles of sugar that you never plan on consuming regularly anyhow? I'd move on from that item in the reintro after having tried the honey, beet sugar and BBQ sauce and realize that maybe it just doesn't bother you much. 

I was hoping there were a few others still around.

Today I attempted my four hour swim and I couldn't do it.  I should have stopped after about 1.5 hours, but I kept going.  I only got 3/4 as far as I did 2-1/2 weeks ago.  Back then it was fine - a little slower than I'd have liked, but I didn't have any recovery issues. That was about 2 weeks into the program.  But even when I started today, my coaches could tell I wasn't going to last.  As soon as I stopped moving, I started in with the chills, which usually take about 15 minutes to set in, so I knew my body was done.  I have heard about "fat-adapted" when endurance athletes train to let their bodies use their body fat as the energy source rather than sugars/carbs.  I guess it's safe to say that I am not fat-adapted and mine can't convert the energy fast enough in a workout.  I even took the same banana, pickles, pickle juice, and eggs that I've taken the past few long swim workouts.  (I don't need anything for an hour, although even those are getting slower and harder to finish.)

I wondered about the sugar thing, but at least we both know that a *small* amount with our meals isn't going to affect us.  I have to come up with some rules regarding sugar use or I'll slide back down that slippery slope right back into the jar of Nutella.  I really liked the rules of the program.  They made it easy to be successful. 

19 hours ago, Kathleenkp said:

NoMoreCrunchyCravings - how are you doing on your reintroductions?  

Your swims sound really intense - four hours? Wow! Even 3/4 of that is really impressive sounding. I used to do 3 hour swims when I was on the swim team in high school, but not since then. Now, if I do go swimming (which I haven't done in well over a year), I can only manage 45 minutes to an hour tops of moderate exertion. I wonder how I'd do if I tried now.

My reintroductions are going well - Wednesday was dairy day and went pretty well. Just a little congestion which I'd expected... but now today while talking I can hear lasting congestion, so I actually think I'm getting a little viral cold. All in all, dairy was ok and I know that I'll be fine adding it into my diet in moderation from time to time, but I don't want to rely on it nearly as heavily as I used to. Tomorrow is glutinous grains day. I'm going to have crackers with breakfast as I didn't want to bring bread into the house, then pasta with lunch and maybe dinner, and I bought some baked goods at Whole Foods today which I'll share with my husband during our New Year's celebration (most likely a movie on Netflix). Tuesday is my next introduction day and it'll also be my first full day abroad in Iceland. I think I'll either do non-glutinous grains or legumes, whichever seems easiest to obtain. After that, I'm going to be done with reintroductions I think, and just try to eat as closely to w30 as possible.

What are your New Year's plans going to include? I know you're planning to stay more w30-ish to try to maximize on the physical benefits of doing the w30, but aside from the sugars and honey, have you introduced anything else?

@Kathleenkp I've joined another group that's much more active than ours, and very supportive. They started the week before we did and several of the wonderful people there are starting another w30 tomorrow or Monday. I'm going to stop following this thread for the most part. It's getting buried too deeply under all the new January people. Please join us here instead!

Thanks!  I will do that.  

We are back from our trip and I'm excited to read from others!  I wondered if there would be a huge flood of new threads to bury this one.  It's that time of year - combined with the newly released book and the article spotlighting this program in the latest Costco magazine.  

Archived