Substitute for Gum/Breath Freshener

NicholsFam

Hopefully some previous gum chewers (I have never been a gum or mint person) will come up with more creative items, but I use (fresh) parsley, lemon peel, mint, cilantro etc. Mostly, I simply keep hydrated with water and brush my teeth. :)

I was a daily, multiple times a day, gum chewer. We are talking life long habit of chewing gum. I struggled the first few days but now I don't miss it at all and probably won't buy another pack. My breath does not stink at all. I think cutting out the crap and eating good foods has balanced that out. I'm on Day 30 today and am so pleased I've broken that habit!

I'm not a gum chewer but I am a flight attendant and do come in close contact with many people on a daily basis...while I do not have bad breath there are times when my breath needs freshening up after a meal and I don't have access to facilities to brush my teeth...I use WOW Drops...only ingredients are peppermint oil and chlorophyll. I have also just used straight peppermint or spearmint essential oils.

• 3 weeks later...

Chewing mint leaves can be an alternative, though it's probably not convenient to carry around, also good for digestion...

I know Guayaki makes a wonderful yearba matte tea blend with spearmint and mint leaves, always leave me feeling refreshed, I believe it's called empower mint

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

A great subsitute for gum in order to freshen your breath is sparkling water with a squeeze of lime. Not only is this great tasting and rehydrading, but it will make your mouth feel clean and curve your cravings.

Best

Veggie God

• 4 months later...

So it's not so much that I am suffering from withdrawals of mint or gum but are there are any approved options?  Sometimes food just leaves a lingering taste that you want to get rid of and drinking lemon water just doesn't do it...i.e. tuna and some veggies. :)  

• Administrators

Hi @Lmbeck - I've merged your post with another thread that deals with this exact question. We recommend that folks start with a quick google search. I found an article and half a dozen forum threads discussing this just by googling "Whole30 fresh breath"

https://whole30.com/2016/05/whole30-fresh-breath/ 

Archived