Solar915 W30 Nov16

solar915

I started a W30 about a month ago, but due to unexpected travel, couldn't predict when I could eat and what might be available for about a week, so I ate as 'fresh' as I could while planning to start over. I'm starting over today. 

This past weekend was a good time to prepare. I took some of what was in the fridge: cabbage, onions, and chicken, and using boxed chicken broth, made a nice, filling soup. I prepared some egg salad and tuna salad to eat on celery sticks. We had some frozen brussels sprouts that I roasted in the oven. I need to go shopping after work to get some fresh greens and other veggies. That soup would be better with some carrots. I still have beef bones, so I can make some broth. 

B: 3 scrambled eggs, kimchi

L: cabbage soup, b sprouts, 2 each celery sticks w/ egg and tuna salad (celery is halved, so 1 stick each?)

D: fish, not sure what else until I get to the store. Will update

forgot to weigh myself before eating this morning, so as of now, my starting weight is  166.4; the highest it's been in about 4 years. 

Still here, but fell off due to poor planning, so I'm picking back up as of tomorrow. Tonight, I'm cooking some chicken and chopping up salad stuff so I can throw together a meal on the run if I have to. I'm also making a menu of sorts so I can see what I need to do to prepare, when I need to shop for fresh food, etc. 

When I usually make a meal, I make the cooked part the majority of the meal with some fresh sides, but this time, I'm turning that around. The majority of the meal will be leafy greens with other veggies thrown in, and a side of cooked food. 

Up early to make salmon patties to have on hand for a quick meal. I picked up fresh veggies last night, so I'm going to cook a spaghetti squash and maybe a ratatouille. Other than that, I still have plenty of fresh greens, so will have to chop a big salad for today.

green onion pesto; great on everything!

1 bunch of green onions (recipes call for green parts; I use white parts, too)

1 cup (or so) lighter flavored olive oil (I use Kroger brand)

1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)

1 tsp lemon juice (or to taste)

I add ingredients to an empty olive jar and use a stick blender to combine, but a blender or food processor would work as well, I assume. Ingredient amounts are approximate as I usually just eyeball it. If I have fresh basil, I add that, too. This stuff is great, but the aftertaste/scent tends to stick around on me, so I don't eat it when I have to talk around other people soon. 

My roasted brussels sprouts are almost done cooking, and I look forward to drizzling them with some of this pesto. 

artichoke chicken; whole 30 style:

preheat oven to 375

mix together homemade mayo, (I added onion and garlic when I mixed mine up), drained, (rinsed, if they're marinated) artichoke hearts, and a touch of salt.

Put chicken tenderloins in a glass baking dish, spoon mayo mix over, bake uncovered for 30 minutes. My chicken was frozen when I made this, so I may cook it another 5 or so minutes next time because it was a bit tough. Otherwise, even the kids liked it. 

salmon salad 

drain a can of salmon, crunch up the bones and skin. Add mayo to taste. I add a dash of lemon juice and a sprinkle of dill. Mustard is optional, but when I do use it, I like the horseradish mustard from Kroger; just a bonus that it's Whole30 compliant. 

I stuff celery sticks with salmon salad. (Say that 3 times fast).

• 2 weeks later...

mustard chicken

I cooked up a huge batch of chicken tenderloins in the slow cooker and covered it with Kroger's horseradish brown mustard. I only had maybe 1/4 of the bottle left, so I thinned it with water and was able to cover all of the chicken. It cooked on low heat for about 2 hours; probably too long, but I took a nap. And it turned out just fine; tender and tasty. I'm going to portion it out in zip top bags. 

More unexpected travel knocked me off the W30 again. I'm starting over on 1 Jan. 

But, I got a fantastic recipe for shredded beef roast slow cooked with onions and mustard. If I can find some grass-fed beef when I get home, I'm making a bunch of this; it was so good!

Happy New Year! I weighed and measured myself this morning; appalling. (168). And I could hardly get my fat jeans buttoned when I got dressed. I went to the grocery store to pick up a few fresh and frozen things to tide me over; spinach, zucchini, fish, etc. I have to work tomorrow, so I'll have to eat a big breakfast and cook up some fish for lunch.

During my latest travel spurt, I had some shredded beef in mustard sauce, so in trying to recreate that, I cooked a chuck roast in the slow cooker. When finished, I shredded the beef and strained the stock, which I then mixed with some of my favorite whole 30 compliant horseradish mustard. I poured this over the shredded beef, and will have some for lunch tomorrow. I tasted it, and it was great. Looking forward to trying tomorrow after the meat soaks in it. 

• 2 months later...

Where has this year gone? It bypassed me; much like my willpower.

Today is Saturday and it's finally warmed up outside, so I'm going to start building my keyhole garden beds and planting the herb garden this afternoon. 

Might as well start cooking up some good stuff to eat, too. Fish, chicken, etc., quick foods.

• 8 months later...

Preppping for upcoming W30. May even start a couple days early just to get back in the swing of things. I'm making a list of past favorite W30 dishes so I know what to get at the grocery store, and will cook ahead and freeze some meals so I have something to grab on my way to work.

For breakfast, I'm making a ground beef, broccoli, and egg casserole. This should last a couple days, but probably won't with growing boys in the house. Which works just fine. :)

I've had a batch of chicken stock cooking overnight, so that may end up in a cabbage and onion dish for dinner. Have to see what else I have to add to it. 

Archived