Yesterday in the City of Angels

jaySKerrck

So, after the orgy of Thanksgiving and the afterglow of leftovers, I have decided to reset my eating habits. I'm late 30s recently divorced & way too good at food.  Being single for the first time in twelve years really threw my food habits into a tailspin - at first, I lost tons of weight and could barely eat, but then as 2016 progressed I was cooking again - and somehow along the way got super lazy and indulgent. I've always been a bit of a foodie - which is great as I love veggies and healthy foods just as much as I love ... CHEESE. Booze. Crème fraîche, crispy homemade tempura, crab-fried rice, bibimbap, ribs, ramen...MORE CHEESE... you get the picture. Sure, I make my own fermented veggies but pairing that with crispy pork belly and a boatload of toasted rice is not ideal. And I do love my pasta - homemade, store-bought, artisan, you name it! (Have I mentioned I cook? I'm not sure I have.)  haven't been exactly slim over my adult life, but I'm not usually so...FAT. It's really undeniable. My emotional eating and cooking skills have combined into the perfect storm - I'm not just husky or sturdy now, I'm totally fat. As a gay man in LA let's just say that personality can only get you so far... (not that I'm dating right now anyways but...) 

The Whole30 thing is doable for me, I know - although cheese calls to me winsomely, delicately, like the song of a dream. Like sour cream. And the embrace of ramen. 

So here I go ... "hi" and "nice to meet you all" and waving hello and all that. 

On 11/29/2016 at 10:13 AM, jaySKerrck said:

cheese calls to me winsomely, delicately, like the song of a dream

@jaySKerrck I love that line. as well as 'the afterglow of leftovers'. Your post made me smile. I'm looking forward to reading more from you, so keep posting. I'm on day 7 and it's been quite the roller coaster ride so far. Today I'm feeling great but yesterday was another story. I felt as though I could have slept all night then all day.

Welcome, fellow Angeleno.

Jill

Silver P.  - I'm glad you enjoy my sense of written panache. 

Seven days, huh? Great!

Shallooop & Silver P.-

This is day four for me and I am all over the map.

On one hand, I totally am playing with my food - making exciting combinations within the bounds of the plan - on the other, yesterday I was at a client's longer than I expected and became a raving rage-monster who needed lunch or else Someone Must Die.

This is clearly not an ideal sort of mood to be in, and today at another client's I brought someone new along - my new friend, Emergency Potato. Emergency Potato is a small Russet that gets microwaved in the morning and left to cool, then is stowed in my computer bag / car, in case I am stuck between meals and have no good option to stave off the rage-monster. I chose a potato as it's portable, more filling, and relatively innocuous. (I don't love potatoes so much that I will binge on them or anything like that.)

In the heady days of summer I used to carry an Emergency Avocado, but thats kind of way too nutrient dense to stuff down the whole thing. (At least as long as I'm not working in fields or running marathons. Which I am most assuredly not.) 

Today was much better. 

@jaySKerrck I love your idea of your friend, the emergency potato. Less risky than the emergency RX or Lara bar, totally compliant, and not requiring refrigeration or any fancy preparations/toppings/cutlery to eat. I used to carry emergency olives, but think I may follow your lead as my previous emergency friend can get a little drippy and oily, and I must admit I've had more than one accidental olive juice spill which has damaged paperwork in my bag. :huh:

On 12/1/2016 at 4:27 PM, jaySKerrck said:

On one hand, I totally am playing with my food - making exciting combinations within the bounds of the plan - on the other, yesterday I was at a client's longer than I expected and became a raving rage-monster who needed lunch or else Someone Must Die.

@jaySKerrck Any chance you might share some of your exciting, compliant combinations with those of us who are less inspired? I love the sound of an emergency potato. I have a lemon Lara bar that sits in a conspicuous place in my car. It's as much a talisman as anything else. Lara knows she's there. I know she's there. Lara will keep me safe from temptation. Worst case scenario, I will eat Lara but that is much better than either the hangry meltdown or binging on junk.

I work from home, so I don't spend a lot of time in my car. I have learned (day 12 so far) to have a good meal before going somewhere and let that tide me over until the next planned good meal.

Jill

Archived