Cravings vs Habit

I just had a revelation. We have donuts and banana pudding at work today - they are set out front where I have to pass them everytime I go to the front of the office. However, it is easy to resist because I am full from my lunch (green salad with grilled chicken).

I was walking by the food and started over as if to get a donut, even though I am full. I caught myself before I got too far, and realized that many of my cravings are actually just a habit. I am used to getting a donut when I see them, whether I am hungry or whether I even want one. This is not something I had realized before.

Now if I think I want something not Whole30 approved, I can ask myself if I really want it, or if it's just a habit to eat it. That seems to take care of any "cravings"...

Good insight. I'll bet you are right. I used to be a nightime forager. While I don't crave anything at all during the light of day, sometimes when I go to bed, I think "I want something, but don't even know what I want". I do the Melissa test "am I hungry enough for steamed fish and broccoli"? If the answer is no, I go to sleep. :)

Archived