Whole 30 and T2 Diabetes

Hello all!

I am currently on day 34 of what I intended to be a Whole 90 and had my physical a couple of days ago. Today, I got the news that I am T2 diabetic (a1c is 7.0). My doctor, who is a "conventional" doctor but has trained in integrative and functional medicine is very open minded and takes a holistic approach. 

When I was in his office (before the blood work), he recommended that I do the Clean Program by Alejandro Junger. He still wants me to do that and start 500mg of metformin now that I officially have been diagnosed with T2 diabetes. My CRP is also very high (24 and range is up to 6). 

I am OK with starting medication if it is really necessary but my goal would definitely be to get this under control with food and not have to take meds forever. 

So, my plan is to discuss continuing on Whole 30, instead of switching to this other program. 

However, when I approach this subject with him, I'd like to be realistic in my expectations. I am not planning to ask for his permission so much as ask him if he will be willing to work with me on adjusting medications and check my numbers with the intention of not using meds as a long term solution. 

I have read a number of conversations here and I'd love to hear from those of you who have had success with bringing your blood sugar numbers back into balance with W30. I am aware that everyone is different and know that you guys can't give me medical advice or give me a definitive answer, but I'm wondering how long it might take to start seeing the numbers move in the right direction? My fear would be that the expectations would be too short and create doubt for both me and my doc. I have no idea what my numbers were 34 days ago when I started W30. 

Any insights you may have would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi christieli I too am type 2 diabetic.  I just recently went for my 3 month A1C and started my whole30 in August 29th to be exact.  My A1C went from 7.6 to this recent A1C of 6.2 which is a MAJOR accomplishment.  And since I've been doing the program I've lost 14lbs since my last visit with the doctor.  There is a lot of good advice in this forum so it's good to check frequently.  This plan definitely works and the people here are all very helpful.  Since my journey started I've noticed a lot of things, #1 being that my food tastes a lot better.  #2 I feel different as far as my weight goes and my ultimate goal is to get off the diabetes meds I'm on.  I started out with 38 units of Lantus at night and am down to 18 units now, and take Glixambi, so looking forward to possibly coming off both of them!  Good luck in your journey and if you have any questions or problems feel free to just post here someone will answer :D

• 4 weeks later...

I was pre-diabetic, but going grain and dairy free (plus a few Whole30s) has got my bloodwork permanently in the "normal" range :D

Your doc can give you some baseline tests, which you can re-take 30 (or more) days later, to measure your improvements.

If you're really trying to avoid medication, I would do more than 30 days before doing any reintros, mine was improved in 30 days, but not back to normal.

Following the Recommendations, as well as the Rules, will yield more results for most people

http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

You can also get a portable meter to measure your blood glucose, but unless requested, I'd only measure your fasted level in the morning.

If your doc wants to weigh you during your W30, you can, but ask them not to share the number or provide any commentary or encouragement (this is hard for them, when you're doing well, so make sure they know it's important not to tell or "hint"), as long as YOU don't see it, they can weigh you.

Archived