Reintroduction = Cravings?

Cassie Stanton

I successfully completed my Whole 30 and continued with staying whole 30 because I felt so great. However, with the holidays around the corner I wanted to follow the reintroduction schedule so that I could be more knowledgable about how specific foods affect me. Three days ago I added dairy back in per the recommendation and felt horrible...major headache, mucus buildup, and was really bloated the next day. The puzzling thing is that since doing that I have been having cravings for all things sugar, worse than during the actual Whole 30....like I really want candy corn, and I don't even like candy corn!!!

On the day of reintroduction I noticed that after eating the dairy (whole cream) I found I wanted cake and cookies and bread, but had not wanted them at all up to that point. I'm not sure if my "mind" just felt it was off the diet so its a free for all or if the dairy actually caused that reaction. I haven't given in to said cravings but am finding it difficult to get my body back in balance.

Is this a normal reaction during the reintroduction period? I haven't reintroduced any other foods at this point because I'm afraid that the cravings for sugar will be worse. Any advice??

Just a thought.....I re-introduced dairy into my black coffee this week (after 60 days of strict paleo eating) and I have had terrible cravings!!! Tomorrow I am cutting dairy back out of my diet and sort of feel like I'm starting over, however, I know that in a short while I will be craving free again!!! I can't wait!

I am also experiencing trouble with dairy during my reintroduction. I added 1 Tbspn of creme into my coffee daily, and experienced crippling sinus headaches. I switched back to coconut milk for a couple of days to see if it's really the dairy or just the funky weather in my area. Coconut milk is delicious in iced coffee but i don't care for it in hot coffee. We'll see.

I've also dabbled with a couple of Lara bars. They are delicious but I feel like I am betraying the program because they come with a wrapper and ingredients, lol. So far nothing has awakened the giant sugar dragon, just a bad headache and some congestion.

Good luck!

I am also experiencing trouble with dairy during my reintroduction. I added 1 Tbspn of creme into my coffee daily, and experienced crippling sinus headaches. I switched back to coconut milk for a couple of days to see if it's really the dairy or just the funky weather in my area. Coconut milk is delicious in iced coffee but i don't care for it in hot coffee. We'll see.

I've also dabbled with a couple of Lara bars. They are delicious but I feel like I am betraying the program because they come with a wrapper and ingredients, lol. So far nothing has awakened the giant sugar dragon, just a bad headache and some congestion.

Good luck!

I agree LRM. I bought some Lara bars for my 27 yo daughter and decided to try one. First, I am so unattracted to dried fruit and I think they are heavy on that and opening a wrapper creeped me out. :)

That's really interesting. I think that dairy--even things like milk or cream--are actually a lot higher in carbohydrates than most of us realize. Perhaps that concentrated dose of carbs woke up your sugar cravings? Just a guess...

Often dairy and sugar seems to go together-- cookies and milk, ice cream and hot fudge, (for that matter ice cream by itself)...

If you figure anything out, please let us know.

I had fallen off after 40 days,I re-introduced dairy and from there had reactions..I have not yet been able to get properly back on track and it's been over a month now.

It's good to hear that dairy is causing sugar issues as this is my main problem and I had not put the two together.I got a reaction to the dairy but thought it wasn't so bad that I couldn't have it sometimes..from there I went to sugar and here I m now.

I am going to have a serious look at dairy now and hopefully really get back on track.Thanks for your post and good luck!

Dairy is also a problem for me. Dairy contains sugar (lactose)...so perhaps that is why the sugar cravings appear. I think that each person is different with regards to whether they can handle a bit of sugar in their diet...such as fruit. I definitely can't handle sugar. One taste and I am sent into a full blown, hot mess, sugar binge. :blink: I think that sugar can be just as much of a problem for some people as alcohol is to an alcoholic. Everyone is different. Just listen to your body and you'll know what you can handle. Best wishes! :)

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one that was having this reaction...I kept thinking that my mind was having an "off the diet" party. After my 1 day reintroduction with dairy, it took 4 clean eating days to finally feel better.

Did anyone find this same reaction when using Ghee? I didn't use any during my Whole 30 and I'm just curious about it now.

I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one that was having this reaction...I kept thinking that my mind was having an "off the diet" party. After my 1 day reintroduction with dairy, it took 4 clean eating days to finally feel better.

Did anyone find this same reaction when using Ghee? I didn't use any during my Whole 30 and I'm just curious about it now.

I've used quite a bit of ghee throughout my Whole 30 (Day 28 today) and had not a single sugar craving. Which is impressive to me, because I was/am a SUGAR ADDICT. So maybe give it a try?

I thought I'd read about dairy and insulin spikes, couldn't remember where. Found it: The Dairy Manifesto on the blog

Briefly, they explain that the protein/sugar combination in dairy spikes insulin levels. Your glucose goes up a little, but the insulin response is outsized and is more than you need to handle the corresponding glucose hike. So then you have trouble acessing fat cell energy with too much insulin in your system, and so you get hungry for more food to burn as instant energy.

I am 5 days into the re-introduction and I totally agree that Dairy causes cravings! I thought I had conquered that demon and I couldn't believe how much I wanted more of that ice cream after having some as suggested. I have to admit, I ate the whole damn thing basically and it was only supposed to be one serving! so pissed! so Dairy is out for me! I didn't have sinus issues but felt sore like I had a hangover! SO yesterday was the Gluten, well I've got a gut ache and feel even worse. Thinking Gluten is out to, sadly today was feeling reflux which had been in control for about a month now. So I agree with you and wish I hadn't re-introduced it but now I know! good luck!

So far I have only introduced dairy back in, it was lovely but I think I founf the same as everyone on here the cravings!! I don't even know what I was craving I think Iwould have eaten anything put in front of me!! I didn't give in but it felt like a horrible day. I know I over ate the foods that I am allowed to try and make up for what ever it was I wanted and didn't have. I ate way too many nuts and dates but hey at least it wasn't a Dairy Milk :) I have also found I can't make nice paleo recipes ie the ice cream because I just over eat! Yeah its all good ingriedents but I still eat too much of it so going to stop trying those things too.

Archived