Tom83706

Hi Folks,

I read "It Starts With Food" just prior to Thanksgiving and jumped right into my first Whole30 2 days after Thanksgiving. I'm a full week into my first program and it has been going well, due in large part because i have been gluten free with low grain consumption for quite some time. At any rate, i bought and consumed 1/2 bottle of GTs original Kombucha. I only consumed 1/2 because i began to experience a standard alcohol response for me: tingly sensations in my lower legs, feet and toes; mild disorientation and inhibition. So, my question is: have i broken my whole30? if so, no problem, i will begin planning my next program and expect to start it in January. however, if so, i will be a bit bummed because i have a symptom package that i was hoping to gain control of promptly, and was beginning to see some movement on that front. Looking forward to opening a discussion and hearing opinions. Thank you, keep shining... Tom

• Moderators

Sounds like you personally might want to steer away from Kombucha which has residual alcohol content in it.  It's a natural byproduct of a healthy fermentation process but obviously significant for you enough that you have side effects.  That said, you did not break your whole30, however you did just learn about yourself that even a residual amount of alcohol has an effect on you... 

Thank you very much, i was all set to accept a blown tire, but now i can continue just fine. 

another very, very minor infraction: i am a vendor and am set up at a holiday consumer show. when getting my products (oils/balsamic) out on my table i pour some into little bowls to offer folks a taste with toothpicks and bread or zucchini. upon filling the bowls with the balsamic i always have 1 drop of balsamic (literally one drop) on my finger to relish its character. after doing so yesterday i realized i may have messed with my whole30. my supplier/co-packer assures me no added sugar, however they are very sweet, we use cooked/concentrated grape must to thicken and sweeten. Question: due to sweetness, even though no added sugar, have i possibly broken my Whole30?

<Whoops, i just read an article about starting over and it seems i am in the clear, thanks!>

My oils are approx. 20% grape seed oil, so i know they are non-compliant and won't be using them during my program and likely not extensively in the future.

Thanks again, keep 'em smiling... Tom

Archived