GUM? To chew or not to chew....

SonneS

I just "soft started" my Whole30 on Saturday, December 3rd... I say soft started because I haven't read all of the books yet, but have read a nice portion through the samples allowed through google.  Headed to the library in a minute to get It All Starts With Food, and will get the Whole30 when I have a couple extra bucks.  Anywho... I'm a massage therapist and I chew gum when I am in session ... don't want to have bad breath, it keeps my mouth wet and has saved me from having coughing attacks in the past.  So, I know gum has artificial sweeteners, etc., but I'm not actually ingesting it sooooo......???  I didn't see any other threads on this topic, so hopefully someone can answer me :)

Not to chew.

Chewing fools the digestive system into thinking food is forthcoming when it's not (meaning the body starts to produce digestive enzymes), so it's not something we'd encourage. Plus  they're all gonna contain either sugar or sweeteners.

Have a search on the forum for alternatives. The best way is via Google - type in 'Whole30 breath freshener' and you should come up with plenty of suggestions.

Hope this helps :)

I used to chew gum after every meal, and got through packets and packets of it - I haven't had any since starting W30 in April.  yes my breath sometimes stinks, but there are alternatives like fresh herbs, mint, parsley, etc.  and hopefully, with eating less sugars, you get few dental problems, so that's an added bonus.  my teeth are a lot better since W30 too.  You could also try a mouth spritzer of flavoured water - ie get your own spray bottle and add infused water to it (maybe mint), then spritz your mouth with that before each client?

Thanks.  Yes, I don't have a problem with infused water, etc., but I need something to suck on to create moisture in my mouth more than anything.  I get very thirsty during a session and can't stop to take a drink.  I also HATE cardamom, so that one is out for me lol... tastes like soap to me :P

I broke my pack a day plus gum chewing habit with my first Whole 30 in 2013, and I learned that chewing gum makes me hungry - go figure.  I am in close quarters with my staff and was also concerned about my breath.  I discovered WOW drops - just peppermint oil and chlorophyll.  You can order them on Amazon.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, SonneS said:

Thanks.  Yes, I don't have a problem with infused water, etc., but I need something to suck on to create moisture in my mouth more than anything.  I get very thirsty during a session and can't stop to take a drink.  I also HATE cardamom, so that one is out for me lol... tastes like soap to me :P

What about if you had a glass of water on a shelf or table within reaching distance with a straw in it?  That way you could keep one hand on the client (which is why you can't stop right? Because you're always in contact with the client?) and then reach over, take a quick straw drink and keep going... you'd probably only need to do that maybe twice during the one hour session?

Personally, I would want my therapist to be comfortable and if they needed two seconds for a quick sip of water, I'd want them to do that... I'm sure it's more complicated than that but maybe we can brainstorm ways to make that work?

If my massage therapist couldn't stop to drink water I would think they were very weird. :)

Just drink water. Chewing gum really has a lot of negatives and no positives.

Test this out during your Whole 30. You may find that, like many things you thought you could never give up, you don't even think about it after a few days.

Thanks all ... When I first started being a MT I planned on keeping my cup in my room anyway, but my boss (at the time) looked at me and asked if I was going to stop and drink... well, yes, if I need to ... so I never did.  I will give it a shot tomorrow and see how long I can go without drinking. 

• Moderators

I wonder how much water you drink on a day to day basis... are you drinking the 1/2 oz per pound of bodyweight that we recommend? It sounds like if this is a significant problem to go an hour without drinking (even if you're working hard), you  may be dehydrated.  If you can get your hydration up you should easily be able to go through an hour treatment... 

Is it possible that you're dehydrated or not hydrated enough overall?

:ph34r:My sister's boss (doctor) always has a red cough drop in his mouth for the very same reasons.  One day, he was leaning over a patient with my sister in the room and the cough drop fell out of his mouth right in the middle of the lady's forehead.  My sister became hysterical with laughter and then the doctor started to laugh and they couldn't quit.  My sister was laughing so hard she was actually was sliding down onto the floor.  The lady was upset and kept trying to brush it off....'get it off, get it off me' and the laughing was out of control at that point.  Oooo, my kind of a day.  

Anyhoo, don't chew gum or use cough drops.  That artificial sweetner is not good for your gut.  

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  That is awesome.  I did open my mouth to talk when I was rolling up a dirty set up sheets and it fell out, but never on a person!!  I DO drink a TON of water through the day, and I suck down a bunch before session and directly after.  I drink about 4 - 24oz cups of water per day, working or not.  That is a little less than 1/2. 

I remembered my husband has licorice root, so I broke it up into small pieces last night and sucked on it while in session today and it worked, so I have my answer!!  Thanks all!

Archived