Terrible Gas and Bloating (Day 15)

Hi All,

This is my second W30, completed the first one in April, and did not experience this mid-journey issue, although my food choices are pretty identical. Around Day 5, much of my gas and bloating (the reason for jumping back in the first place), started to improve, and I was excited. However, in the past few days it has all come back...bloating, and terrible gas. I have read through the forum and it appears things like brussels sprouts, cauliflower, etc., may be the issue. On the side, my GI doc and I think I may have something called SIBO, so I will be taking some medication for that, which could greatly help. However, it will take a while to get my insurance company to approve it.

So here is what I am searching for:

1. Comments on my food log (below)

2. If some of these veggies are the culprit, suggestions on what veggies I should turn to. Both my husband and I love cruciferous veggies roasted in the oven.

Day 1:

Breakfast - 3 eggs scrambled with bell peppers, onion, arugula, and compliant nutritional yeast + olive oil drizzled on top

Lunch - leftover unstuffed cabbage stew (ground beef, cabbage, tomato, veggie stock, garlic, onion)

Dinner - 2 palm size baked salmon, roasted carrots and brussles sprouts, 1/2 sweet potato

Day 2:

Breakfast - same

Lunch - Salad with avocado, almonds, apple, egg, tomato, olive oil dressing

Dinner - ground turkey tacos (tomato, pepper, onion mixed in), roasted cauliflower, over spinach, 1/3 avocado

Thanks for the help!

• Moderators

You may want to remove the nutritional yeast... some people have the same type of reaction to it that they do to MSG... 

You could incorporate many other veggies besides crucifers... mushrooms, asparagus, green beans, kale, eggplant, zucchini... basically any vegetable that suits your fancy.

I would also try removing raw veggies for the time being and see if that helps... raw veggies can be hard on the digestion.

I had this problem too on my second whole 30.  Definitely get rid of the brassica and raw veggies.  I ate a lot of pureed squash soup with veggies in it and green beans instead of  crucifers.  I am finally feeling way better on something called FDGuard which is a combination of enteric coated peppermint oil and caraway seed oil.  You can get it at CVS or Walgreens or Amazon.  It is super expensive but I have ended up only taking one at night instead of the four that were supposed to be the daily dose so it isn't so expensive and it has been incredible.  I got this as free samples from the gastroenterologist and it is supposed to cure something called functional dyspepsia, basically a stomach ache of unknown origin. I could immediately quit prilosec, which wasn't working anyway.  And I can mostly sleep through the night without pain, I do still have a wedge to sleep on when I have some breakthrough gas and burping.  I have found another source for this combination on line and will check it out, quite a bit cheaper but so far this seems to be the miracle essential oil cure.

Thank you both! It's so interesting that these veggies are bothering me so much this time around, when I did not have an issues last time. I think my larger GI issue is creating the perfect environment for this. Working with my insurance company to get a medication covered that will hopefully help.

Archived