2nd Whole 30- Husband Gets Angry On It- Need Advice!

SWag3

We will be starting our second Whole30 on January 1st. Both my husband and I enjoy doing it, and like the food. We aren't very healthy people, eat out a few times a week, eat junk food, etc. My husband is a big guy, 6"4. The last time we did Whole30, despite feeling healthier, my hubby was angry a lot; or maybe I should say "hangry". It produced a couple of arguments as I didn't really understand, I always felt full and satisfied if I ate enough. Not to say I didn't have cravings, I definitely did! But he just seemed angrier than usual. I know the main goal of Whole 30 isn't to lose weight, but I think it can be part of it. I want to do appropriate serving sizes, want to be healthier, but don't want him to be "hangry"!! 

Has as anyone else experienced something similar? Does anyone have any advice on what to do this next round so the same thing doesn't happen again?

• Moderators

If he's hungry, he needs to eat more. You'll notice that the meal template is based on hand sizes, and that it includes a range -- so your 1-2 palms of protein could be much smaller than his 1-2 palms of protein, and your 1-2 thumbs of fat smaller than his 1-2 thumbs of fat, and you could both be eating appropriate amounts of food. That's the first thing I'd check, that his serving sizes are based on his hands, not yours.

Another thing to consider is starchy vegetables. Many people assume that Whole30 should be low-carb, and they leave out or eat extremely limited amounts of starchy vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squashes, and root vegetables. Most people feel best with one fist-sized serving of these each day. Some people need more than that -- particularly people who are very active, who are prone to anxiety or depression, and women who are nursing, pregnant, or in the week or so leading up to their period. If you weren't before, be sure he has at least one serving of these each day. If he's already having one serving a day, it's possible he could use more.

Remember that if he works out, he'll need pre- and post-workout meals as well. Protein & fat for pre-workout, lean protein & starchy vegetable post-workout, and these are in addition to the three meals a day. If he has a job where he's active -- like up walking around all day, or lifting heavy stuff all day, or anything like that, he might need an extra meal or mini-meal as well.

This is all assuming that he's mostly hungry, and that the anger is related to the that. If he's not hungry, but his mood is changing, you might need to have him think about why he's feeling that way -- does he feel deprived because he isn't eating what he usually does? Is he not hanging out with friends because that would likely involve alcohol or unhealthy foods? That's something you'll really need to get him to think about, you may not be able to figure out what's going on if he isn't willing to talk about it.

Shannonm816 thank you for the advice!! I will definitely keep that in mind. Kirkor- it was over a year ago so honestly we are pretty much at the same place again health wise as we were then. I'm hoping it won't be quite as hard as the first time though!

Archived