WHOLE7 Starting Today - Anyone else?

Teddie

I am determined to do a WHOLE7 and so far today this is Day 1. Is there anyone else who would like to join me? The accountability will be extremely helpful. I've tried "cutting back", "eating sensibly", and along with little bits of this and that I still will have a glass of wine and I'm finding my body/arthritis is hurting more. The rigidity of the WHOLE30 program seems to help my motivation, and with it being Christmas season I figure I will be doing good if I can do a WHOLE7.

Taking this on I will report in each day as to whether I have been compliant or not. If not I will start over. (ugh!) I am hoping the WHOLE30 eating will calm down my arthritis and have me feeling tip top again. I should add, I have eaten a pretty Paleo diet since ending my WHOLE30 October 1st this year. My nemesis is wine and salted nuts.

Looking forward to some responses :) .

Teddie

Hi @Teddie

I started my Whole 7 (mini reset) on Saturday, today is Day 3 for me.  I finished my Whole30 on Nov 23 and each week, I slipped 3 times.  On Friday, it was our company Christmas lunch where I indulged in a glass of wine and an amazing dessert.  In the evening, I stayed up too night and the sugar dragon came out... :( I binged on a lot of chips and chocolate...it was BAD!

Anyway, I think a mini reset is in order.

Good luck with your Whole7 - let's keep each other posted!  :)

@saraipMade it through today. It's after dinner and I am sipping Perrier with lime and then later will have some herb tea.

This ain't easy! My husband is eating crackers with his soup and enjoying his beer. But the thought of quitting or starting over keeps me compliant. Plus I really hope I stop aching soon :) .

The one allowance I am making is a kale smoothie for breakfast. It's kale, almond milk, coconut milk, banana, sunflower butter, frozen blueberries, some flax and some hemp for protein. I can't eat eggs because of my arthritis and the thought of more ground turkey or stuff I had for dinner just turns me off! I think when I am done with the WHOLE7 I will try some cottage cheese for breakfast. I ate eggs for breakfast Every morning on my WHOLE30 and couldn't figure out why I was still hurting. Then I read Food Freedom Forever and saw the arthritis reset and understood. Oh well....

Hope you are doing well. Let me know how it's going.

T:)

@Teddie

Well done on getting through Day 2!  I know it can be so hard sometimes...my daughter was eating a donut over the weekend, the smell of that sweet icing...omg! 

Your breakfast smoothie sounds amazing!  I'm behaving, not binging on junk and not feeling the cravings either.  I've been going easy on the eggs myself recently because after 7 weeks of eggs, I'm a little bored :P  I'll be honest, I don't completely follow the meal template, or stick to only 3 meals a day anymore but I still eat well.  I fill my plate with veggies...but sometimes I eat wayyyyyy too many potatoes! 

Good luck on Day 3!

@saraip Ah, potatoes! I love sweet potatoes. They help me feel fulfilled and not deprived. I usually don't eat the white ones.

Made it through the Christmas party today. Yay Me!! I ate some turkey and avocado before I left and enjoyed veggies and some great fresh fruit. Stuck a bottle of Perrier in my purse :)   Bingo!!  The cookies and fudge and other goodies were in wild abundance! But when I looked at my husbands plate, which was full of them, they really didn't look that appealing. What do they say - after 3 bites the thrill of the taste is gone?

Then was hungry when I got home. Nothing to snack on but Olives stuffed with garlic...which I am starting to max out on. Do you remember Day 4 - Kill All Things!??  That's what I felt like when I was cooking dinner. Want my wine! But after today I'm 1/2 way there. Who wants to wimp out on Day 3? ...and start over???  

How do you fix your veggies? I need to eat more.

Hope you are doing well and had a great Day 3.

@Teddie  I ate a lot of sweet potatoes in the summer, but as we entered fall and winter, the quality decreased massively!  They were often off...dark spots and crunchy no matter how long I cooked them for.  Then I went onto squash and pumpkin - now I'm sick of them :D  I ate them everyday for over 2 weeks!!!

Now...I do a good mix of all veg.  Last night, I had a steak with asparagus, brussels sprouts, potatoes, fennel, parsnips, and eggplant!  Picture attached!  :wub:

As for breakfast this morning, I cooked down some tomatoes with chicken stock (homemade), added spinach and kale in after I turned off the heat.  A nice veggie stew with bone broth goodness to kick off the morning!

Day 6 for me...I've been pretty good, except I had a couple of those "EAT EVERYTHING" days...so I binged on veggies...and Olives one evening!  I love olives...they are so good!  I can eat a whole jar in one go!  Not good but...so tasty!

How was Day 4?

IMG_20161214_202454_resized.jpg

@saraip  Hi, there,

Days 4 and 5 were good. Your vegetable medley looks amazing! It definitely fills up the entire plate! :)  I don't eat red meat, but your plate looks so good that I might start (not) :).

I roasted a chicken tonight and it was really tasty. I stuff it with a whole garlic halved and whole lemon halved. Great flavor! I was going to roast a spaghetti squash, too but time got away from me. In 2 weeks my husband and I will be moved into a senior living center - MorningStar at RidgeGate here in Colorado. We'll be in independent living and getting breakfast and one other meal a day. We've met the chef and he is into fresh fruits and veggies along with grass fed beef and organic whenever possible. I'm sure eating will be somewhat of a challenge, but the chef appeared to realize that the group moving in (they just built it - we'll be the first to move in!) is pretty savvy food wise.

Anyway, getting ready for the move means lots to do - hence the missed time for roasting squash.

I have a great way I roast sweet potatoes - wrap each one in foil and roast it for 2 hours or so at 300 degrees. They come out soft and sweet - yum! What part of the world do you live in? Just curious....

I was reviewing my notes from my WHOLE30 and noticed that I didn't start feeling peppy until about day 12. Which makes me think that a WHOLE7 won't be long enough. Ah, well, Monday is our anniversary and we are going out to dinner, so don't want to worry about being compliant. I won't go overboard, though, because then my body/arthritis hurts. 

Good to hear your suggestions for veggies - thank you. Please feel free to pass on any other tips.

Hi @Teddie

I hope you had a good weekend and not too stressed about the move in!  Being able to speak to the chef should help :)

My whole30 was a little strange, I didn't actually feel the "Tiger Blood" until it was over.  haha...my body has delayed reactions! 

I live on the other side of the world from you - Hong Kong, it's a busy busy little city.  There is no problems finding healthy food here, it's just really expensive...so I've started to cook a lot more. 

I didn't make it through my 7 Day reset...and I was very bad at the Christmas party...champagne, mulled wine, chocolate, pumpkin pie, cheese...oh boy!

How did the rest of your mini reset go?

@saraip  Hi, there!! Hong Kong - Wow! Thanks for letting me know.

My 7 days went GREAT!!!!! I lost 6 pounds and feel GOOD. All in 7 days. I was compliant and stuck it out....but then I didn't have a party with champagne and all the goodies. 

I will definitely do a 7 day reset again....and maybe a WHOLE15 - We'll see. This is such an awesome program. It took me almost the 7 days to feel at least Some of the Tiger Blood, but when I got up this morning - even after being awake since 4:30 stressing about which of my laundry baskets will fit on top of my washer - which has a dryer stacked on top of it (the very small laundry basket, by the way) - I still felt really good all day. The other 3 of my laundry baskets I will give away. It amazes me that I can't find ANY room to store a laundry basket! Our place is small and we are moving there from a larger apartment. We moved to the apartment from a home - which we sold in May - that was considerable larger. So, I have become the Queen of Downsizing and Minimalism!!  Ha HA!!

I'm betting your living quarters are small as well in Hong Kong.

Sara it has been so good getting your feedback and encouragement. I know once you are through the Party Season you will nail a WHOLE7. 

Wishing you all the best,

ps - this is the view from our living room at MorningStar at RidgeGate   http://www.morningstarseniorliving.com

fullsizeoutput_180c.jpeg

@Teddie

That is amazing result!!!  6 pounds off and feeling great!  I'm so happy for you!

Your view looks amazing!  Do keep me posted on the food provided by the chef, I'm curious to know how creative he is!

Our apartments are quite small here, I live in a 350sq ft place with my partner, it's considered average here.  I'm a huge fan of downsizing and minimalism...I do believe that we over consume.  I try and behave as much as I can!

Unfortunately I had too many parties, too much temptations, and too little willpower :P  I planned on eating well until I leave for Europe tomorrow but again, I failed...I went out for lunch today and had pizza.  Anyway, I believe this is part of my food freedom journey...ups and downs, can't be good ALL the time!

It's really nice being in touch here with you :)  Do update me on your eating habits and if you are going to do another reset!  I can't wait to do another one in the new year!

Off to Berlin!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your husband!!

Cheers!! (Prost)

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year, Sara @saraip  ! Hope you had a wonderful time in your travels. How was Berlin?

I'm planning to start a WHOLE30 on January 19th - after we have our Opening Gala :) here at MorningStar. 

I met with the chef here and he said, "No problem" to giving me the food I need. That's another reason I want to wait til the 19th - to see how closely I can follow the program in general. He has prepared both chicken and mahi-mahi so far and both were very, very delicious. But then there was the cous cous, grits, and creme brûlée :) ....Welcome Sugar Dragon!!

Will you do another WHOLE30, or just a reset? Let me know hoe you are doing.

Wishing you the best in the New Year :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Teddie

Happy new year!!

I'm finally back to work from my holiday, during my break, I ate whatever I could put my hands on...haha!  It was unreal!

Back to reality...I've been trying to stay compliant for as many meals as I can but due to having family in town, it's a little bit harder.

I will do a full reset in Feb but prior to that, I was thinking about a 14 day Keto where I completely cut down on carbs and reduce my body fat.  My family leaves on Jan 23 so I can do 2 weeks of Keto then 30 days of a new reset.  Until then...I'm staying compliant when I'm not out dinning, which is majority of my meals.  I plan to go out only on the weekends.

How is everything with you? 

Talk soon!

S

Archived