Cliche' but starting Jan. 1st

NotSoHappyEater

While I'm sure I could stick to this through the holiday I did just get the 2 books and still reading and about the time I read the spot in the book where it says to Plan you start date......so while I'm not going crazy for the holiday I can think of all that left over ham and turkey that will help me.  Just tired of my Reflux and achiness all the time and its time and my 51 young years of age to find some resemblance of my military figure lol.  Any support groups start around the 1st, I'm in.  Started a Facebook group for that date but so far no friends accepting my challenge.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been contemplating starting that date to. I am counting down to turning 50 in March and wanted to start a round. I made it through my first whole 30 about 3 years ago and have done short versions since but I feel the acid reflux and sleepless nights becoming more frequent. So it's time to do another whole 30. 

We can do this #heresto50!.

Hi friends! I'm also going to start January 1 2017 and am working to get some friends on board, as well! This will be my 4th or 5th whole30 in the last 2 years, but I am aiming to also make it my strongest! More preparation, research, and more meaningful goals. Feel free to connect (I think we can do that through following each other on our profiles?)! 

My husband and I also plan on starting January 1. This will be our second round of Whole30. We are moving to another state this weekend and plan on making lots of lifestyle changes in our new place. I would love to have the support of others on this thread and I would love to do the same for you! It is always easier when you troubleshoot with others!

My daughter and I are starting Jan. 2. I am excited and nervous (that I might cheat before my 30 days are up), but am also committed to making some big lifestyle changes (like less wine...or non during my 30 days). I am not so worried about the food as I am about prepping. I do some food prep now but get lazy when things get busy. Keeping my daughter on track will be a challenge, but she needs this as much as I do.  

Me, my wife, and a friend are all starting on the 2nd. Have had many friends find success doing whole30 and I'd like to figure out what food intolerance's might be contributing to my overall gut issues!!!

Hello,

Read It Starts with Food, finished Whole30 last night, actually started with Food Freedom but stopped for now and learning to navigate the website and facebook.  Starting January 1st! Very excited but very scared at the same time. I typically cannot commit to changes very easily and always find an excuse to eat or drink at an event, special occasion or because the sun came out! HA! I said it, I think I have no will power, but Melissa is so brutally (in a great therapeutic kind of way) honest and I have never NOT drank wine unless I was pregnant! SO if I can do it for my growing child, I can and should do it for myself!  I am the 
"I blew it for breakfast on Thursday morning with a latte, I might as well just start on Monday again" kind of eater!  That kind of behavior will put me in the ground too early in life. My kids deserve a better role model and I deserve a better me! So, I am finally reading and planning instead of just jumping into a "plan" this time. I am scared to death of failing but hope this forum, facebook and the Daily Emails help me through the tough part so I can see the positive changes in my health and my body to stick with it and learn the willpower! 

Very excited and super scared,

Kristen

Hi there.  Total newbie here. I've just gotten the books and I'm reading them so that I can be prepared to start January 1. I had initially hoped to start last year… But as you can see that didn't work out so well. I will try to post more of a proper introduction soon, but please count me on board for January 1 start date! So excited! 

Count me in!

Okay, so full disclosure - I did the Whole 30 in August 2016... for two weeks. More like 17 days. BUT STILL. Even though I failed, I really did feel so much better. My lifestyle/habit is to eat very readily-available food (fast food, frozen food, etc.) so trying to make myself cook every single day (I never managed the "cook it all in one day for a week trick) was what derailed me.

Since then I've fallen so far off the wagon it's not even funny. I've gained MORE weight. I'm miserable. So, because the rest of Dec. is already taken up with friend-meals, work-meals, other-celebratory-meals, then I decided the best thing to do is to just PLAN PLAN PLAN and begin it all again on Jan 1st.

This is hard but so worth it, I know it. It's crazy to think that not only 30-40 years ago the idea of COOKING EVERYTHING AT HOME wasn't such a hardship. I need to suck it up and just do it - my mother and grandmother always did!

Hi,

My name is Chris, and I am 52. I am tired of feeling achy and tired. I look forward to see how my body works with more healthy foods. This is my first Whole 30 and I too, will be starting January 1, 2017. I look forward to any tips from those who have done this before.

Chris

Hey Gang!!

I'm in, too, although for a start date of January 2nd. We will be driving home from my brother's on the 1st. I will drop the children and BF off and head right to the grocery store upon my return. This will be my 2nd Whole 30. I completed my first one in March 2016. I felt amazing and accomplished. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Since then, I ran my 2nd full marathon on my 41st birthday (June 5th). After that, I fell apart. I stopped running altogether. Haven't run in 6 mos now. I've put on 20 lbs since my lowest weight this year (after my Whole 30).

I've decided to leave the comforts of full time employment and have opened my own bookkeeping business as of the 1st of the year. I've spent the last 6 mos. procuring clients and making sure I can support my family. This meant working a FT job plus growing a full client load. Needless to say, I'm spent. I need a break in the action. I need to get back to taking care of myself - mind, body & spirit. I need to nourish my body with real foods and I need to move. I am signed up for a 1/2 marathon in May, and another full marathon in October. Now comes the hard part...actually taking the time to take care of me again. I am sooooooo ready.

The BF is supportive. And will eat what I cook. But definitely won't be participating fully. Same for my son. My daughter actually asked to do it again, and will participate on the weeks she is with me. Drinking is definitely the hardest part for me (although that is probably a conversation for a different forum). A drink to relax is my go to. Especially when I'm working so much and have very limited "me" time. I need to change this behavior. That drink leads to another, to a handful of chips, to some chocolate chips from the baking cupboard, etc., etc. My friends are also generally supportive. But everyone in my life always wants to "get together for a drink". Psychologically, that is the hardest part of this for me. I feel "left out". I need to put that mind set aside and find other things to do with my friends. It can only benefit us all.

Even though I've completed a full Whole 30...I BOMBED the re-introductions. So my goal this time is to have a plan in place when I've finished so that I can truly see if I have any foods that impact me more negatively than other. I have the worst cough in the entire world. Have had it since birth, I believe. Have been to the allergist, have been on all sorts of medications. Nothing seems to help. I, literally, feel like I'm drowning in my own post nasal drip. It's exhausting. I did feel better during my last Whole 30. That is incentive for me to do the re-introductions correctly and get this thing figured out, once and for all.

OK. That's enough about me. Welcome everyone!! I LOVED reading the Forum last time. It was so inspiring & it definitely kept me motivated. Actually, I was obsessed. There are much worse obsessions, I suppose. This time, I will participate & see if that provides even MORE motivation.

Please share recipes too!!

Anissa

Another newbie here! Starting January 17, 2017, after a friend's wedding that I'll need to travel to. I just started reading Whole 30 and thought I'd follow the advice of waiting until after that event rather than mess up my 30 days. I figure that also gives me some time to read both Whole 30 and It Starts with Food and to prepare my kitchen, make a meal plan, etc.. I'm really looking forward to connecting here!

Question: I've already started tapering off on the non-compliant foods...less Stevia in my morning coffee, no milk in my tea, things like that. Do experienced folks think this is a good or bad idea? 

Well, this has a lot of responses and I notice I'm the only Male so far lol.  Does anyone have a Facebook group going for this?  I started on think some of my friends might accept a challenge.  I will need a lot of moral support and as this is to eat better it's also for weight a bit but my GERD is bothering my esophagus.  If you all see any useful websites for snacks or places to buy things please post.  I found a posting with some snack ideas a ideas for purchases from Costco.   About to be a busy Forum, enjoy the holidays everyone.

I'm starting January 1st as well.  I've been reading the book throughout December and felt my best chance at success if starting after the holidays.  I don't want the added stress.  I've got nothing going on during the cold, short days of January so I figure I can dedicate 30 days to my new self!  Good luck everyone!!

Hi! My son (almost 11) and I will be starting on Jan 1st.  This is my second Whole30 (it's been three years since my first...kind of ashamed to admit that) and will be my son's first.  My son has been struggling with his weight (meds have caused him to gain weight...he's essentially hungry all the time and is sneaking unhealthy food). I'm really hoping this is the positive change he needs so he can have a healthy relationship with food. It will also help that we're doing this together. He loves to be in the kitchen, so it'll give us some nice time together as we prep for our meals each week.

Hi! I'm Tracey and will be starting my first Whole30 round on January 1. I was feeling pretty excited about it, read the book and have begun some of the prep. However, the more I talk to people, the more intimidated I get... This is my first day exploring the forum, so I'm hoping it will help calm my nerves! Looking forward to getting to know everyone. 

Archived