Cliche' but starting Jan. 1st

NotSoHappyEater

http://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/

http://creativehomekeeper.com/10-healthy-snacks-whole-30-challenge/

This is a couple of interesting sites I have found.  Trying to find some bacon locally here that is acceptable but haven't got out a lot to look.  Luckily My wife and I are off the week between Christmas and New Years and there will be some serious Meal prep happening (I hope).  Need to get the emergency items in pace such as individual chickens, Larabars, hard boiled precooked eggs from Costco (for lazy morning when I slept to long) and more things I can grab when another urge hits me of if I need something quick when we fixed the 4 kids something else for dinner.

This is the site to the Facebook group I created if anyone is interested but so far its jus good old me LOL.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/274460029623817/

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all

This is my first post.  My name is Dan (male) and I plan to start the Whole3o for the first time on 9th January 2017.  God willing I will be 53 on January 5th and I have been overweight, out of shape and aching for about 30 years.  I'm thinking more than Whole30 is going to be needed but first thing's first.  Grateful for any support group activity.  Still eating plenty of off plan food at the moment and every time I think "what will life be like without....?  Guess I will find out!

• Moderators
On 12/19/2016 at 2:41 PM, GM in BK said:

Question: I've already started tapering off on the non-compliant foods...less Stevia in my morning coffee, no milk in my tea, things like that. Do experienced folks think this is a good or bad idea? 

This is generally a good idea. In general, the first few days of Whole30 are going to be worse if you spend all your time leading up to it eating all the sugary, carby, alcoholic stuff you can to get in that last few days of "fun" before you start, so the more you're moving toward eating Whole30 style before you begin, the less bad those first few days are likely to be. (Do note that this is a generalization, and everyone is different -- occasionally people who have really bad eating habits pre-W30 don't experience any negative side effects the first few days, or people who already ate pretty clean experience every possible negative side effect. I don't know why that happens sometimes, I've never really seen it explained anywhere.) Here's a humorous, but eerily realistic, look at what you may experience over the course of your Whole30: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

• Moderators
2 hours ago, NotSoHappyEater said:

This is a couple of interesting sites I have found.  Trying to find some bacon locally here that is acceptable but haven't got out a lot to look.  Luckily My wife and I are off the week between Christmas and New Years and there will be some serious Meal prep happening (I hope).  Need to get the emergency items in pace such as individual chickens, Larabars, hard boiled precooked eggs from Costco (for lazy morning when I slept to long) and more things I can grab when another urge hits me of if I need something quick when we fixed the 4 kids something else for dinner.

Some variety of Larabars are compliant (not all, so read your labels), but keep in mind that they are as close to a candy bar as you can get on Whole30. You would be better off not having them at all, or limiting them to only when there are absolutely no other possible compliant choices around. They can cause spikes and drops in blood sugar levels, and they can keep you craving sweets. Better choices for emergency foods that don't need refrigeration would be things like jerky, Epic bars (meat bars, not really jerky-like in texture, not all varieties are compliant), pouches or cans of tuna, salmon, sardines, or chicken, packets of olives.

This article from Mel Joulwan may give you some ideas of things you can keep on hand to be able to throw together quick meals, and her weekly cookup idea is one way to minimize cooking throughout the week while still ensuring you have food on hand.

16 minutes ago, ShannonM816 said:

This is generally a good idea. In general, the first few days of Whole30 are going to be worse if you spend all your time leading up to it eating all the sugary, carby, alcoholic stuff you can to get in that last few days of "fun" before you start, so the more you're moving toward eating Whole30 style before you begin, the less bad those first few days are likely to be. (Do note that this is a generalization, and everyone is different -- occasionally people who have really bad eating habits pre-W30 don't experience any negative side effects the first few days, or people who already ate pretty clean experience every possible negative side effect. I don't know why that happens sometimes, I've never really seen it explained anywhere.) Here's a humorous, but eerily realistic, look at what you may experience over the course of your Whole30: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Thank you! I know that the holidays will be a challenge (already HAVE been!), but I think I know my days when I'll have too much "fun" versus the ones when I can get back to plan, pre-start. The good news is that even tapering off has made me feel EVEN WORSE after I down a bunch of bad foods/alcohol. So that should be some incentive, now and after Jan. 17! 

Hello all, another newbie with planned start date of Jan 1.  Dairy will be most difficult for me and also sugar!  Goal is to lose weight and establish good habits.   I have a super important certification exam on Jan 19.  Just read the timeline of what to expect. For those who have completed a Whole 30, would you advise starting after the test?  I'm studying hard up until the test. Don't want to put it off but can't afford any days leading up to exam feeling more fatigued. Thanks!

15 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

I'm tapering too. Already less diet soda.

Jan. 1st is a great time to start!  This will be my 4th Whole30, I love how much better I feel by the end (why did I start adding sugar into my diet?...)  I'm 58 and have become so much more aware of the food I eat and how it affects my body.  I am more prepared each time I do it and I look forward to "cleaning" things up in the New Year!!! :)

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Pmcfnp said:

Hello all, another newbie with planned start date of Jan 1.  Dairy will be most difficult for me and also sugar!  Goal is to lose weight and establish good habits.   I have a super important certification exam on Jan 19.  Just read the timeline of what to expect. For those who have completed a Whole 30, would you advise starting after the test?  I'm studying hard up until the test. Don't want to put it off but can't afford any days leading up to exam feeling more fatigued. Thanks!

It's up to you, obviously, but usually, people are a little more tired the first week or so, but then start feeling better, so you should be past that stage by the actual day of the test. Even in that first week, it shouldn't be that you're too exhausted to do what you need to do or anything, just a little more tired than usual. It is a lot of work to cook all the time if you're not used to that, so you may be spending more time meal planning, grocery shopping, and cooking than usual, so do take that into consideration. 

On 12/20/2016 at 0:00 PM, NotSoHappyEater said:

Best not to plan on fruits and nuts as snacks.  Keep the meals template sized and don't skimp on the fats, and you should be able to go between meals without snacking  ... keep hydration up ... and if a snack is needed it's better to be a mini-meal of protein+fat.  Most snacking is typically based on habit, thirst, escape, or craving, not out of the body needing fuel to function.

On 12/20/2016 at 5:15 PM, ShannonM816 said:

I'm tapering too. Already less diet soda.

2 hours ago, Janet.M said:

Is anybody here trying the Real Plan?

Janet

I've read good and bad about it and decided to save my money and try using pepperplate.com.  You have to pull your own recipes in but usually if you give it a URL it can do it automatically and if not it just takes a second to copy and paste.  Then it lets you create that weekly meal plan there also.

On 12/12/2016 at 0:02 PM, NotSoHappyEater said:

While I'm sure I could stick to this through the holiday I did just get the 2 books and still reading and about the time I read the spot in the book where it says to Plan you start date......so while I'm not going crazy for the holiday I can think of all that left over ham and turkey that will help me.  Just tired of my Reflux and achiness all the time and its time and my 51 young years of age to find some resemblance of my military figure lol.  Any support groups start around the 1st, I'm in.  Started a Facebook group for that date but so far no friends accepting my challenge.

I'm a couple of years older than you are and have suffered from reflux and general aches for as long as I can remember. I've been on reflux meds until recently. I'm on day 29 and my reflux is gone, as are the aches. I believe it was the dairy that was causing it for me. It feels so good to be in control. I feel so good with this way of eating that I will be continuing long after the 30 days.

Jill

2 hours ago, wildheart46 said:

A couple of questions:

1) Are we starting Jan. 1, or Melissa's "official" start date, Jan. 2?

http://whole30.com/2016/12/join-januarywhole30-2017/

2) Does pepperplate.com require a paid subscription? It's asking me to make an account but I am curious to know what exactly I'm signing up for, first. Thanks!

Pepper plate is free.  I paid nothing.

3 hours ago, Silver Penguin said:

I'm a couple of years older than you are and have suffered from reflux and general aches for as long as I can remember. I've been on reflux meds until recently. I'm on day 29 and my reflux is gone, as are the aches. I believe it was the dairy that was causing it for me. It feels so good to be in control. I feel so good with this way of eating that I will be continuing long after the 30 days.

Jill

Great to hear.  That's what I'm shooting for.

I'm starting January 1 as well. I kind of hate that it's a such a cliche but like you it's unrelated to New Years - it just seemed convenient time as I was going to be primarily in one place and also would not be having any dinners with my Italian grandparents. I'm now realising it will be super difficult as I will be away from my own kitchen and on "holiday" for quite a bit plus some travel, but I'm not putting pressure on myself. If I slip I'll just get back on it when things are more stable. 

First whole30 for me but I've done elimination before. I'll be with my parents for half the month and probably be doing most of the cooking so they may be along for the ride unintentionally. Lots of food intolerances and chronic fatigue and wanting to fine tune thingns a bit. I'm 25 (until late January lol) and shifting from full time study to professional training and I want to feel better before I start full time work for obvious reasons.

Anyone interested in being a whatsapp/iMessage accountability buddy?

Happy Holidays, everyone!

As we enjoy our holiday fare and panic about the upcoming changes in our lives, I just was wondering about my questions from earlier. ;)

1)  I know this thread is about starting on January 1, but I think Melissa's "program" is starting January 2. I think for me it would be a great support to be following Melissa's lead so I hope that I would still count as "starting on January 1" if I start on the second. Anyone have other thoughts on this? 

2)  is there an official Facebook or WhatsApp group for us? Thank you. 

I have so much prep yet to do… I just got over some serious sinusitis so all of my free time lately has been diverted to not talking and lying around in bed. 

Archived