Cliche' but starting Jan. 1st

NotSoHappyEater

Jazmine, you seem like a much better eater than I am.  I can't eat much seafood like salmon and the like only can stomach the Whitefish and shrimp.  I have eaten Tuna Salad a bit but sure I put in to much Mayo.  I did eat the Lemon chicken and it was tasty. 

I think this http://www.asaucykitchen.com/thai-meatball-and-egg-drop-soup/  is what I might try over the weekend.

947ad521d7a848a2adac9636d0baad6b.jpg

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NotSoHappyEater said:

Jazmine, you seem like a much better eater than I am.  I can't eat much seafood like salmon and the like only can stomach the Whitefish and shrimp.  I have eaten Tuna Salad a bit but sure I put in to much Mayo.  I did eat the Lemon chicken and it was tasty. 

I think this http://www.asaucykitchen.com/thai-meatball-and-egg-drop-soup/  is what I might try over the weekend.

947ad521d7a848a2adac9636d0baad6b.jpg

Ah yes I do eat almost everything! Makes things much easier, but yeah maybe with the tuna it was just too much mayo, cause it can be really lovely! An easy way to eat it for me is with a baked sweet potato and a salad, just making sure your salad has enough veg for the template. Dress it in some kind of lemony dressing and could be great..if you like that kinda thing!!

That recipe you posted looks amazing! Egg drop soup is one of my favourites so with meatballs it sounds even better, I might give it a go too!!  Also the veg soup you posted sounds great too, thank you!

Nosohappy thanks for the bacon info $4.99 I can do. The one I found was $19.99 and I just wasn't willing to do that.

All day I have been fighting emotional eating. I know I am not hungry. I have a few things going on outside The Whole 30 which are causing me stress. My kneejerk reaction for years has been to stuff something sweet in my mouth to "make it all better". I know it doesn't but you get what I mean. So I have been trying to "self talk" all day. "You know a brownie isn't the fix. Useeeeeeeeeee the Force Artemis...do not eat that". :)

I feel your pain, made the kids molten chocolate lava cakes with ice cream cause I was begged.  But overall I'm doing ok.  Maybe eating to many potatoes but better than my old mashed potatoes.

Be Strong Artimas.  Take it as a challenge, I'm like "if I fail now that I've put it out on Facebook and all I will be embarrassed" lol

On 06/01/2017 at 1:23 AM, Wickedlibrarian said:

Today's obstacle is lunch out with my work-people; our boss is treating us as a late Christmas present, but he hasn't decided yet on where we're going.

The secret to good meals out is to be the one who organises them, then you get to pick the venue :D

On 05/01/2017 at 2:46 PM, kirkor said:

Technically compliant but not recommended: http://forum.whole30.com/topic/27477-sodium-erythorbate/

For ingredients like this, if it's the only compliant thing of it's kind and it's something you really miss, use it as a condiment rather than a high volume item in your template meals. Note this ingredient IS Compliant (Rules), however some people will have better choices available to them and it's not a Recommended ingredient. (however, just like with all food, some people have limited or no supplies of some items)

Bacon is difficult where I am, but I cook naked pork belly and fry it up, or buy prosciutto as these are easy to find near me.

1 hour ago, Artemis22 said:

That made me laugh NotsoHappy. :)  For real, out loud. Thanks!  I am six days in. I can do this.

You can totally do it! :D it's not entirely psychological, emergency services often give sweet tea as a treatment for "shock", sugar does calm some primal-type responses in the body, but so do other things like meditation and just doing something peaceful and enjoying it.

It's worth trying some ritual-style beverages as a non-food "treat". Sparkling water in a special wine glass, in a special chair, with a favourite book. Favourite tea, in a special cup, in the bath with favourite music. If you search ritual on here, you will find lots of interesting things people have found they like. My cat loves to sleep on fresh laundry :P his ritual is watching other people fold it and then sleeping on it.

Thank you Praxis! Your words made me feel better; that it isn't just some flaw in my personality that my instinct is to reach for a brownie. I'll search and see what other people are using to cope. I am entering day 7 completely compliant on this Whole 30!

You too made me laugh, about the cat. :) My two cats also feel that everything in the home should be done for their pleasure...and it seems I do fall into line most days. LOL

Have a great day!

Hey all

Been watching this thread closely and watching for all the tips.  I know I am behind the curve but I am starting my first Whole30 today.  Just about to eat a nice vegatable broth for the first time in my life without bread.  Motivated and keen but apprehensive.  Well done to all you folk who are completing your first week - hope to be there soon!

Dan

Thanks Notsohappyeater.  I'm sure I will be doing similar but living in a household where I am the only one taking the plunge I look around and there is sweets and carbs everywhere!  Hoping to go for a fairly simple approach and not look too hard for compliant subs.  I have bought some Ghee (looks like a must) and I am going to try some zucchini noodles (courgette noodles here!).  Hoping to keep it simple.  Love meat and fish, like most vegs and fruits.  How hard can it be right? Right?

Dan

Hey all, nice work, almost done with day 7!!! 

How about olive oil? Can we over due it? 

Tonight we had sweet potato fries(1 table spoon) with ranch(1 1/4 cup) and Cauliflower(4 tablespoons) and steak. Enough for two people and one helping of leftovers. 

13 minutes ago, PB&JMAINE said:

Hey all, nice work, almost done with day 7!!! 

How about olive oil? Can we over due it? 

Tonight we had sweet potato fries(1 table spoon) with ranch(1 1/4 cup) and Cauliflower(4 tablespoons) and steak. Enough for two people and one helping of leftovers. 

It's hard to overdo, especially in the first stages of the program as you're trying to get your body used to this new way of eating.  Fat will help keep you satiated between meals and stave off sugar cravings.  I don't know if I'd do cups of ranch every day, but as long as you're giving some consideration to the recommended meal template, you should be good.

I read 2 thumbs somewhere.   I might have gone against the rules a bit but not for ingredient purposes.  I found these chips in the pic below.  Potato cooked in olive oil with sea salt.  They say they can lead to bad habits is the reason.  Haven't cracked them open just tried one sample.  Picture says avacado but olive was next to it.

IMG_0156.JPG

Partly the bad habits, and partly the whole "pushing better choices off your plate" concept.  Making them at home baked is fine, but not fried. I think a big part of this particular rule falls under the psychological umbrella as much as it does the physiological one. Fried starch is never going to be better for your mind or your body than steamed broccoli, for example.

Well day 2 and a just a little more than 24 hours in.  For all you wonderful people who are now into your second week let me give you some revision.  Thumping headache, irritable, lethargic and wondering what the heck I have gotten myself into.  Doesn't seem to be enough water in the tap!  Guess I have nearly half a century of junk eating to overcome.  No pain no gain right?  Onwards and upwards chicken and veggies tonight going to try thickening some gravy with grated carrot cooked to a pulp.

Just finished day 8 and feeling great!  Stocked up on fresh veggies, fruit, chicken and eggs yesterday. Bought coconut oil for the first time for a change from olive oil.  I bought Food Freedom Forever and got Whole30 out of the library.  Going back and forth between the both of them.  I hope every one is hanging in there!

Alright those chips I thought should be on the list. Socked away in the pantry for the kids.  Taking no chances on starting over.

Having my wife do it with me helps greatly as she makes us soups for lunch.  Just realized I could have chicken wings :D.  I won't over eat them but they're great and quick for when a new meal goes way south.

Cats!  Did someone say they needed cats?  I have 4 and a corgi to boot.  Not a cat hater but not a lover of 4 either mostly when I have a mild allergy to them.  

Be Strong and carry on.

Evening everyone. I am here reading to prop up my resolve. I just attended a birthday dinner.

I don't feel "oh poor me" because I am choosing to do this. However, I felt almost....I am not sure... but I think resentful of people eating cake. I know resenting cake eating family is crazy but maybe it is the sugar withdrawals making me irritable. Maybe it is the winter blahs too. It is very cold and gray here. I think I will Google summer Whole 30 recipes and see if I can snap out of my crankiness.

NotSoHappy- you can never have too many cats. :)

Hey guys - I checked in with one post back on Day 1, and you havent heard from me since.  Sorry - all the time in the kitchen and on paleo cooking websites - no time to check in until today.  Well - GREAT NEWS - its Day 9 and I've been perfectly compliant.  Made it through the huge initial shopping trips, the big recipe push, the irritable days 3-5, and the weird dreams and weird stomach.  I had a huge headache last night - that was weird, I may have been dehydrated. I've been drinking mostly flavored seltzer water out of cans - its been nice, but I probably should be drinking straight water more.  Sleep has been good, lots of dreams, solid except for last night - felt like nothing longer than 1 hour at a time - that was frustrating.

Anyhow - I have all of the Well Fed cookbooks by Mel Joulwan - those are awesome and I've been doing most of her basic meals - eggs scrambles, ground beef, steak, chicken thighs, etc.  Eating a ton of sweet potatoes (they taste like CANDY now - I cut one in half and eat it like an ice cream cone - so weird but good).  Also acorn squash and spaghetti squash. 

I've kept a diary on Evernote, meal log, etc.  So far so good.  A few temptations with pizza and stuff my kids eat, but no slip ups.

I'll read what you've been up to and try to log in more often.  Thanks for starting this thread, NotSoHappy.  Get happier!

Steve

airlinefood

PS - im on call for my airline job - and haven't been called in to fly yet.  If I am, I am very nervous about finding compliant food in airports or layover hotels.  I'm going to try and bring as much leftovers and epic bars and nuts and tuna as I can.  Any ideas for travel food?

Archived