Dates

JenniferCB

Yep, both kinds ;-)

Although I'd limit the fruit variety as much as possible as they are absolute sugar bombs (about 85g sugar per 100g for medjool) & will keep any sugar dragon alive & thriving - use them maybe for adding to sauces to sweeten them, but avoid eating them on their own as is the recommendation for all fruit.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:45 AM, jmcbn said:

Yep, both kinds ;-)

Although I'd limit the fruit variety as much as possible as they are absolute sugar bombs (about 85g sugar per 100g for medjool) & will keep any sugar dragon alive & thriving - use them maybe for adding to sauces to sweeten them, but avoid eating them on their own as is the recommendation for all fruit.

I'm confused about the use of dates as a sweetener - I thought this process of sweetening a recipe with dates or whatever else was off limits during the Whole 30, or has it changed like the no white potatoes rule? Maybe I'm thinking of something else? I keep thinking it's like a SWYPO thing, for example, to sweeten homemade almond milk or something using dates to get it more like a type of standard sweetened coffee creamer? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

12 hours ago, J9er said:

You're right, SWYPO like a coffee creamer or a baked good would be a no go. But a homemade BBQ sauce or ketchup could call for dates or fruit juice and that would be ok. 

LOL still confusing to me. I've never made BBQ sauce or ketchup before, so haven't run into this issue in the past.

6 minutes ago, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

LOL still confusing to me. I've never made BBQ sauce or ketchup before, so haven't run into this issue in the past.

As with all guidelines that edge up against a grey area, it's better to focus on the general concept rather than exceptions to the rule or recommendation.

Dessert imposters and monkey cereals, paleo pancakes....SWYPO's. 

Most people are not going to drink a bottle of ketchup or BBQ sauce but paleo pancakes strike a different chord.  I can't stand pancakes or waffles  so I wouldn't make one but for others...it's crazypants. 

Archived