To cook your own food just as big a problem as The Whole 30 program

HEFI

I have read the book "It Starts With Food" and I'm really ready to start The Whole 30 program, but I can see one big problem that is not mentioned in the book. I normally don't cook my own food and are not very good at it. If I start the whole 30 I think this will my biggest problem and maybe the reason why I can't hold it for 30 days. Is there any cooking help in the program?

Henrik

Well then there's another advantage of doing a whole30!

I think that yes you will need to learn how to cook & follow recipes. The ground meat recipes in ISWF are a good place to start, as you you just need to fry everything up together.

I'm sure youtube tutorial videos would be a great help too.

I understand, as cooking is actually something I don't like to do and I'm not very good at it. I keep things simple. Hardboiled eggs, olives, nuts, ground meat with veggies, eggs with veggies, salads, soup, etc. If I'm really motivated, I'll prepare a more complicated meal, but I usually don't have time for that.

I hate cooking. I'm pretty horrible at it. I'd say maybe half of the time, something ends up smoking (when it's not supposed to) or burnt or horrible tasting, or who knows. The key is just learning a few recipes and then learning how to vary them. For example, I never knew it was SO easy to make salmon. I mean literally, heat up the oven, throw on some salt and garlic and pepper, bake it for 18ish minutes, and it's done. (I feel like that's not really cooking cooking, more like..basic cooking? But it works for me.) And ground beef and meatloaf recipes are so easy. (For ground beef, put beef in pan, heat up, stir, add some spices, and done. For meatloaf, add an egg or two, some chopped up veggies, spices, bake for an hour or so, done.)

I know people say "if I can do this, so can you" - but seriously, if I can cook some stuff, anyone can.

Not a big "cook" either. But I can fry eggs or make an omelet and pretty much steam or microwave the rest. Haven't needed to follow a complicated recipe yet because it is pretty simple (and I'm the kind of person that just adds a little salt/oil/or hotsauce) and I'm a happy girl. You just need to plan ahead more.

There are lots of recipes in Well Fed, for instance, or on Nom Nom Paleo ,that are super simple and really handy. For instance, in Well Fed, she has some SUPER easy ways of prepping veggies and meat that are crazy easy and super helpful in getting through the week. The other recipes are only complicated by the number of spices that she uses. I recommend it and allow yourself to re-define what you can and cannot cook. You may surprise yourself...... If you can follow directions, you can cook.

I completely understand where you're coming from, though my issue not an inability to cook, but rather a lack of desire! It's just not my cup of tea. My mom is a chef, and I wish I enjoyed cooking because I could learn so much from her. The key to success for me, and I'm getting through my 5th day, is to put ZERO pressure on myself to make fancy or complicated recipes. Last night I a broiled pork chop and steamed asparagus (made in my steamer). Tonight it was an organic chicken breast that I cut up and pan fried in some ghee with steamed cauliflower and an avocado. Both nights I made enough meat and veggies to put in a container and reheat for breakfast. Easy peasy. For me, I could easily let the cooking issue be an excuse to not fully commit or to fall off the wagon, but instead I just make sure I have all the things I need on hand to satiate my hunger quickly. You can do it!

I talked my biffle into giving up grains so he could lose some pudge (he's special forces and currently the chubbiest and weakest of his class).

He's Italian, so he has never cooked before in his life (gotta love Italian mothers!), and is quite literally afraid of his oven. He has cooked more for himself in the last two weeks than ever before and he is LOVING it.

Chop up a bunch of veggies, get some ground meat, throw it all in a pan with some fat and spices. Eat. The end.

Chop up a bunch of veggies, get some ground meat, throw it all in a pan with some fat and spices. Eat. The end.

So true. Add in one Big A$$ salad a day and some eggs and three meals are done...

I am super lazy. I brown 2lbs of beef at a time with no seasoning and store in my fridge. Then I use it for anything that I feel like all week. Curry paste, marinara, coconut aminos, spices. Whatever seems good at the time.

I am awful. I need more from my food. Wish didn't, but I still think I keep it simple. Every sunday, I steam sautee a BUNCH of veggies. Two heads of broccoli, two heads of napa cabbage and one lb of spinach (you know..the ones in the plastic box that is reusable). then I cut up two cukes, two orange and two red peppers. I separate them into re-usable containers and add 3 olives and one HB egg each. I don't snack often, but when I do..my oh my. :) I bake two whole chickens (my Greek grandmother taught me that..they like keeping each other company according to her) and cook up 2-4 lbs of ground beef. I have to have variety and to me, food is way more than just fuel.

Thank you all for your suggestions and support. It must be possible for me too. I just have to start and see if I can succeed in both my challenges. Tomorrow it's my birthday and saturday there is a big party in my running club. So I will start sunday/monday.

Archived