"Whole Hannah": W30 First Time!

hannahk89

I'm doing Whole30 for the first time (and over the holidays to boot) so figured participating in a forum would help my accountability!  I started Whole30 on Sunday, December 11 and am now on Day 7!  It has gone by so quickly!  

The two greatest challenges so far?  I started Day 1 with a stomach bug -- a combination of a queasy stomach (one of the reasons I'm doing Whole30) and two glasses of wine the night before meant I was sick all day.  Normally when I'm sick, I either want plain toast (nope) or pad thai (nope).  After not being able to eat much all day, I eventually made some mashed sweet potatoes with coconut milk and called it a day -- the dish actually soothed my stomach. 

And since Day 5, I've had a really bad sore throat.  The challenge is that all my throat lozenges and cold medicines have sugar in them!  Such a wake up call that there is sugar in everything.  I relaxed my natural sugar intake a lot yesterday and chugged a 16 oz. bottle of pure orange juice to see if I could kick this cold but woke up feeling sick still.  Hopefully a trail run later today will clear my lungs... 

Other than those two challenges, things have gone pretty well.  I've had a bunch of social events and have been very pleased by my self control.  Makes me feel like I'm not totally crazy for doing Whole30 over the Holidays...  I'll update this with day-by-day accounts next! 

Archived