Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calibilly

January 2nd start date

Recommended Posts

Last night I made mayonnaise!  It turned out really well, just the right consistency.  I know it's supposed to be easy but I have had several failures in the past.  I used a whole egg instead of just the yoke, not sure if that made a difference.  

Then this morning I made egg salad for breakfast and tuna salad for lunch with my new mayo.  

My husband is being so supportive.  We talked about a gig he has coming up (he's a drummer) and he's helping me with strategies for not drinking while I watch him play and has commited to not going out to eat afterward (there's nothing nearby but a little taco joint that, while really delicious, is definitely not Whole30.   It's a performance venue that happens to serve wine, not a bar so that's a good thing but I can't remember if they also sell bottled water so I think I'm going to just bring my own.  Maybe a pelligrino or something.  We have plans to eat at home before we leave.  

Day#5 finds me a little more foggy and fatigued but I know this is only temporary.  

And can I say that I am totally digging the Newsletter.  I didn't do that last time but I'm finding it so helpful.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Julzology we have a similar challenge tonight. We are going to my work holiday casino night party. Hand passed hor d'oeuvres, huge dessert bar and open bar. We are going to eat before we go and drink coffee/tea while we play casino games. Everyone at work is asking me if I'm going to "take a night off" or "cheat day" from W30, no that's not how it works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started January 2nd also.  I ate almost a Whole 30 diet for all of Nov and Dec while I prepared, but still used some dairy for those months and was not strict for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.  I am 5 days in and loving eating this way, but have been hit with a wave of exhaustion.  Is this normal?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Karen Twin-Cities said:

@Julzology we have a similar challenge tonight. We are going to my work holiday casino night party. Hand passed hor d'oeuvres, huge dessert bar and open bar. We are going to eat before we go and drink coffee/tea while we play casino games. Everyone at work is asking me if I'm going to "take a night off" or "cheat day" from W30, no that's not how it works. 

@Karen Twin-Cities Hit the bar and ask for a club soda with lime that way you'll have what looks like an adult beverage in  your hand.  But coffee/tea works too (just keeps me up at night).  Last time I did Whole30 our employee summer picnic was on my second day.  I did the club soda thing and the only person who asked me what I was drinking was my boss who was also doing Whole30.  (She bailed that night)  The summer picnic was easy because there was a seafood bar so lots of compliant seafood options.  Oysters on the half shell, shrimp, crab legs and steak.  I did not starve.  I hope there a few compliant items you can nibble on.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sandra P said:

I started January 2nd also.  I ate almost a Whole 10 diet for all of Nov and Dec while I prepared, but still used some dairy for those months and was not strict for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.  I am 5 days in and loving eating this way, but have been hit with a wave of exhaustion.  Is this normal?

 

Exhaustion is very normal the first week or so.  If you can tough it out at this stage you'll be rewarded by lots of energy in weeks to come.  Hang in there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Julzology said:

@Karen Twin-Cities Hit the bar and ask for a club soda with lime that way you'll have what looks like an adult beverage in  your hand.  But coffee/tea works too (just keeps me up at night).  Last time I did Whole30 our employee summer picnic was on my second day.  I did the club soda thing and the only person who asked me what I was drinking was my boss who was also doing Whole30.  (She bailed that night)  The summer picnic was easy because there was a seafood bar so lots of compliant seafood options.  Oysters on the half shell, shrimp, crab legs and steak.  I did not starve.  I hope there a few compliant items you can nibble on.  Good luck!

Great to hear people's strategies. I have a work party a week from Saturday (day 13) that I plan to employ some of these same strategies. I think I will eat before I go and then do the seltzer with lime drink trick. I have seen the menu and there should be some options if I want to have anything else- seafood and I'm going to ask about how the steak chimichurri is prepared, depending on the oil used it might be compliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 5....Not as grumpy as yesterday or the day before, but I'm REALLY having head-hunger and sugar monster issues. 

I've got a list of things to keep busy while I'm at home this weekend before I report back to work on Monday to try to keep my mind and hand-to-mouth issue busy. One of those items is to bulk cook and read up on making sure I keep my 3-meal a day without snacking going. 

The belly bloat seems to be diminishing...and so is the toilet paper supply. TMI, but I'm sure it's reality for most of us. I'm curious to how my work clothes will fit. My 18s were tight and leaving ring-around-the-waist marks on my girth prior to Thanksgiving break. Putting on my work clothes means I have to face reality that my winter break's over...I'm not ready for that, but I need to.

I made Paloe Whole30 Ranch Dressing for the first time yesterday. I was shocked and amazed at how much it almost tastes like my beloved ranch dressing. 

Hope everyone's doing well today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Making it meal by meal over here.  Snow heading our way (very unusual for us) so everyone is in a tizzy and grocery stores are packed.  I have to admit, I ran out to get stocked up on eggs.  As long as I have eggs to do something with, I can make it ;).  I have ratatouille fixings on hand for the weekend.  The egg bake recipe sounds great and I may work on that this weekend as well.  As long as we maintain power.  I'm feeling a little less bloated and 'cleaner' if that makes any sense.  Have a good weekend everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made the beet salad recipe in the below book.  Quite yummy.  It has mayo, horseradish, rosemary, etc.  I made beef broth from the Whole30 book.  Husband said that was not allowed to be made inside again...said it smelled bad.  I think I agree. 

Image result

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 4 went well yesterday. I ate well all day and felt good.  I started getting really grumpy at night and then today I woke up with a headache.  I'm anxious about the weekend.  I have a birthday party to go to that is serving dinner, so I will eat beforehand.  Just not looking forward to telling everyone why I'm not eating.  Other than that I think the weekend should go well.  Happy Friday everyone!

 

Jennifer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, teachermama said:

Day 4 went well yesterday. I ate well all day and felt good.  I started getting really grumpy at night and then today I woke up with a headache.  I'm anxious about the weekend.  I have a birthday party to go to that is serving dinner, so I will eat beforehand.  Just not looking forward to telling everyone why I'm not eating.  Other than that I think the weekend should go well.  Happy Friday everyone!

 

Jennifer

I just said yes to watching one of the NFL games with friends this weekend. Going to do the same thing. I'll eat before I go and stash some compliant snacks in my purse and bring some seltzer. It will be hard not to have a beer (my drink of choice) but I'll manage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 5 - last night I got sick - GI issues after dinner and again after breakfast this morning. Anyone having GI problems? I am spending a lot of time in the bathroom. Not to cool, but passes fast. I am kind of afraid to eat. :( Help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, NancyAlways said:

Hello All,

Just finished day 4.  I've done the whole 30 at least three times.  My body is adjusting more quickly to the changes this time around but it has been like a rollercoaster.  I feel fine and then I feellike I'm getting a cold.  Later, I have a headache but that passes and I'm fine for a while.  My throat was sore for about an hour,  my earached for a different hour, I was very sleepy and then I was energetic.

I got home and made this wonderful soup:  sweet potato soup with carmeized onions and cinnamon meatballs topped with zhoug!  I saw this recipe but couldn't find it when it was time to cook, so I made it up.  So delicious...

Good luck tomorrow!

Yes, even my side effects have ADD!  Today I feel very jittery and anxious, I've not felt this the last three  times I did a W30, hopefully it passes soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teachermama said:

Day 4 went well yesterday. I ate well all day and felt good.  I started getting really grumpy at night and then today I woke up with a headache.  I'm anxious about the weekend.  I have a birthday party to go to that is serving dinner, so I will eat beforehand.  Just not looking forward to telling everyone why I'm not eating.  Other than that I think the weekend should go well.  Happy Friday everyone!

 

Jennifer

@teachermama - If you know the person throwing the party well enough you could explain your situation and ask to bring a W30 compliant dish to share.  That way you could eat with the rest of the guests and not stick out so much.  Here's a recipe for moroccan meatballs from the Day #5 Newsletter that looks really good:  http://meljoulwan.com/2009/03/05/mmmmm-moroccan-meatballs/ Good luck with your party.  

I have a meeting next week where there's a pre-meeting social that involves desserts and various snacks.  I'm thinking about bringing a veggie platter with some W30 Ranch Dressing to share.  That way I'll have something to munch on and the cookies, pretzels and chips won't tempt me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Karen Twin-Cities said:

@Julzology we have a similar challenge tonight. We are going to my work holiday casino night party. Hand passed hor d'oeuvres, huge dessert bar and open bar. We are going to eat before we go and drink coffee/tea while we play casino games. Everyone at work is asking me if I'm going to "take a night off" or "cheat day" from W30, no that's not how it works. 

Get a soda water with lemon and lime at the bar. Then no one will ask you the annoying question, "why aren't you drinking??" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2017 at 3:31 AM, drtracyb said:

Starting day 4 here in England.  I am nervous because I have to stay compliant during a flight from London to Los Angeles, and then for a 10 days sleeping away from home.

Hope you had a good flight. When in LA, hit up the local Whole Foods market for all your eating needs (there are many many locations throughout the area)… They have a wonderful hot bar and salad bar, with all ingredients posted on little signs, so you can stay Whole30 compliant. This really saves me when traveling!!

 

On 1/5/2017 at 8:57 AM, jesscummings said:

... If anyone has any favorite crock pot soup/chili recipes, that would be awesome - it's pretty cold here and I could use some warm and easy food!

Everyone raves about the "Whole30 Slow Cooker Kalua Pork" recipe (Google it!).

 

On 1/5/2017 at 9:20 AM, PhysicsHippie said:

Also, anyone having strange/vivid dreams yet? I haven't had all of the other symptoms really (don't hate me), but I had one heck of a doozy dream last night! Needless to say, I should back off on my American Horror Story watching for awhile!

Yes! The dreams can get intense!

 

21 hours ago, CarleenVC said:

Ok..  I guess I'm just done... I feel ok eating them and not out of control... between this and someone else telling me I had to restart because I had to weigh myself on day 3 instead of day 0 because I don't own a scale and didn't have access to one until then, this program is just a little too ridiculous at times. I get the idea behind both of the recommendations but they do not align with my reactions and relationships with either the scale or the plantain chips. I've definitely felt better and am going to continue eating loads of veggies, no sugar and no dairy (I already ate gluten free) for at least 30 days to wait and reintroduce dairy but if I'm not "official" enough for the forums or the Facebook groups I just won't participate. I feel like every time I post to share I'm told I'm doing something wrong even though I feel great and have already seen NSVs. 

Please please don't let this get you down! The moderators have been trained to be very strict to the program rules for good reason, but I know the delivery can feel like a slap in the face at times, especially for people very new to the Whole30. I don't have a big problem with what are normally considered "no brakes" food items either (except NUTS, *ahem*), but I choose to adhere to the rules during the 30 days, just to see how it affects me and if I can learn anything new from the experience. There are many ways you can choose to continue participating, including adding just a few days at the end if you want to have thirty 100% compliant days. You can also stay with this group for encouragement in your healthy eating choices, even if you choose not to do an "official Whole30" ( just know that it is helpful to newbies not to post about noncompliant choices, just to avoid confusing them!).  I wish you the best of luck! 

 

17 hours ago, NancyAlways said:

Hello All,

Just finished day 4.  I've done the whole 30 at least three times.  My body is adjusting more quickly to the changes this time around but it has been like a rollercoaster.  I feel fine and then I feellike I'm getting a cold.  Later, I have a headache but that passes and I'm fine for a while.  My throat was sore for about an hour,  my earached for a different hour, I was very sleepy and then I was energetic.

I got home and made this wonderful soup:  sweet potato soup with carmeized onions and cinnamon meatballs topped with zhoug!  I saw this recipe but couldn't find it when it was time to cook, so I made it up.  So delicious...

Good luck tomorrow!

 This is my 4th or 5th Whole30, and I am experiencing the same thing! Very interesting… 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ctabz58 said:

Day 5 - last night I got sick - GI issues after dinner and again after breakfast this morning. Anyone having GI problems? I am spending a lot of time in the bathroom. Not to cool, but passes fast. I am kind of afraid to eat. :( Help.

It'll pass! Your body is adjusting to a new diet and it'll take some time. Make sure you're eating fermented foods (kombucha, kimchi, sauerkraut) daily and max out your veggies for fiber. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teachermama said:

Day 4 went well yesterday. I ate well all day and felt good.  I started getting really grumpy at night and then today I woke up with a headache.  I'm anxious about the weekend.  I have a birthday party to go to that is serving dinner, so I will eat beforehand.  Just not looking forward to telling everyone why I'm not eating.  Other than that I think the weekend should go well.  Happy Friday everyone!

 

Jennifer

I like to tell people that I'm doing a "simple 30 day program to identify possible food sensitivities". DONE.

I find that this short explanation does not allow people to judge me as a crazy yo-yo dieter, or a healthy food fanatic who's going to proselytize at them, but rather as an intelligent individual making smart medical choices for herself. If they ask me details, I share them in the simplest way I can, focusing on the benefits of an elimination program and reintroduction process.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ctabz58 said:

Day 5 - last night I got sick - GI issues after dinner and again after breakfast this morning. Anyone having GI problems? I am spending a lot of time in the bathroom. Not to cool, but passes fast. I am kind of afraid to eat. :( Help.

Me! This is me. Buying stock in toilet paper and making sure we're staying hydrated will hopefully help.

5 hours ago, phantommeb said:

It'll pass! Your body is adjusting to a new diet and it'll take some time. Make sure you're eating fermented foods (kombucha, kimchi, sauerkraut) daily and max out your veggies for fiber. 

I agree, and good idea about making sure we're eating enough vegetables...although my gut just shuttered at the mention of the fermented foods idea. I don't do well with those...gas gets even worse for me! Ack! lol

On 1/5/2017 at 3:40 PM, CarleenVC said:

Ok..  I guess I'm just done... I feel ok eating them and not out of control... between this and someone else telling me I had to restart because I had to weigh myself on day 3 instead of day 0 because I don't own a scale and didn't have access to one until then, this program is just a little too ridiculous at times. I get the idea behind both of the recommendations but they do not align with my reactions and relationships with either the scale or the plantain chips. I've definitely felt better and am going to continue eating loads of veggies, no sugar and no dairy (I already ate gluten free) for at least 30 days to wait and reintroduce dairy but if I'm not "official" enough for the forums or the Facebook groups I just won't participate. I feel like every time I post to share I'm told I'm doing something wrong even though I feel great and have already seen NSVs. 

Oh man. I sure hope you'll stick with us, and keep going. Lessons are being learned along the way as we all know and have to learn.  Very cool that you're already seeing some none-scale victories too! Proof that this way of eating is in deed helping you achieve a healthier life style. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone struggling with exercise? I tried to run tonight and could only eek out 2 miles run/walk. Just ran 4 miles the other day. I was a bit short of breath. Was a bit weak in yoga too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/01/2017 at 7:23 AM, Julzology said:

Maybe I'm just really good at tuning out my body's signals.  

It will be an interesting experiment. 

This is one of those insights that is so valuable. Before my first Whole30 I wasn't feeling well at all, by the end I felt so amazing, I realised before I wasn't just not feeling well, I felt horrible and it had become my normal, my old normal was horrible. Now I have a new normal :D I also found thirst to be an easily suppressed signal, make sure you get enough to drink.

On 05/01/2017 at 11:05 PM, Julzology said:

I'm really sore from those workouts.  Yesterday I nearly fell over doing squat presses.  I could tell while I was on the treadmill that I do not have as much energy as the first day.  I'm going to give the high intensity workouts a miss for the rest of this week and resume next week.  [snip]

I'm tired. 

It is totally okay to skip exercise for a few days if you're feeling off, after the KATT stage is over, your energy will return :)

I totally can't find the right post, but for the person with vertigo and vomiting, I hope you feel better soon! Let us know if you need any help.
If your doc finds out you have any kind of nerve damage, paleo can be very healing, avoiding dairy and gluten allows the body to do some repairs. Vitamin Bs have been correlated with accelerated nerve regeneration, but check with your doc before you take any supplements. Plenty of natural Bs in foods, from B2 to B12 :D Bone broth & shellfish both supply lots of trace elements.

For anyone with medical conditions, there's also a special part of the forum if you want to post about medical things in there.

http://forum.whole30.com/forum/13-whole30-with-medical-conditions/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, rcc421 said:

I made the beet salad recipe in the below book.  Quite yummy.  It has mayo, horseradish, rosemary, etc.  I made beef broth from the Whole30 book.  Husband said that was not allowed to be made inside again...said it smelled bad.  I think I agree. 

 

 

If by chance you have a pressure cooker/Instant Pot, making broth in it takes a lot less time and because it's sealed up, produces a lot less aroma. I've also read of people plugging their crockpot in outside on a porch or patio or in the garage to let it cook their broth -- my backyard backs up to a field, and I get various critters coming through, so I haven't tried that option, but if you had a semi-enclosed patio space or a second floor balcony it might work. I don't like the smell while it's cooking either. You can also do chicken broth, which doesn't have as strong an odor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also started on the 2nd! It's not as hard as I thought, and  not really hungry. The social time with friends I have avoided this first week as well as my usual workout routines. I think I might be able to handle them now. Hope everyone is successful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites