January 2nd start date

calibilly

I'm looking forward to this weekend.  My husband has a gig in the city on Saturday.  Lately, with the QMT closed the drive takes about 10 times longer (that is no exaggeration, last time we went what should have been a 35 minute drive took 3.5 hours) than it normally does so we're going to have to leave mid afternoon to get to a 6:00 gig.  I have agreed to go with him and normally I would be having a few glasses of wine but I know they have a very nice herbal tea selection so I'm looking forward to that and wondering what's on the menu that I can eat.  It's a tiny little place in the village with a limited menu, mostly french.  I should be able to navigate that. 

I did well yesterday eating.  On to Day #9.  I meditated this morning and my boss is off today so I think it's going to be a more emotionally calm day for me which is good. 

I have signed up for a 6:45 am exercise class tomorrow.  That should be interesting.  

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, drtracyb said:

I am happily at Day 9 - wow!  Survived a plane trip from London to Los Angeles, survived a 36-hour emergency veterinarian shift.  My best friend brought me whole30 meals to help me stay compliant.  I'm looking forward to this next week to continue the success - this is historically the week that I fall off the wagon, yet I feel no urge to do so.

@drtracyb that's awesome, what a good friend!

Onto day 9 here and feeling pretty good. Last night I overwhelmed myself trying to make a pinterest worthy meal after a long day and trip the grocery store. It was delicious, I just hate how much time I'm spending doing dishes! Putting everything I can in the dishwasher but still. I need more small tupperwares, I'm running out and having to get creative with my leftovers. But my cabinets are packed so nowhere to really put them either. Think I need to spend a weekend day reorganizing my kitchen. I'm sure I have stuff I can store elsewhere that I don't use every day!

Day 9 here as well. Yesterday was rough. I started to get severe abdominal cramps and bloating after breakfast. I felt nauseous and feverish. I'm assuming it is the W30 doing its hard work after my terrible diet preW30. I actually went home from work and spent the afternoon in bed curled up in a ball watching Netflix. I guess not a terrible way to spend a Monday afternoon while the snow fell.

I tried everything though, peppermint tea, no more nuts, magnesium, kombucha, lemon ginger tea and I finally broke down before bed and took some Tums. Not sure those did anything either though. This morning I woke up ok but I am just dreading it coming back. Switched from coffee to tea to maybe help relieve some of the acid. 

I don't remember it being this bad the first time I did W30. Maybe I blocked that part out. 

13 hours ago, vozelle said:

Whenever you have sugar/carb cravings, eat some protein+fat and give it 30 min, breathe deep and revisit your reasons for committing to these 30 days! I promise you that these default habits will change... it comes down to Consistent Healthy Choices over long periods of TIME... and eating enough protein and fat at every meal/snack so that you stay satiated. That is key! Good luck!

Day 9!  Thanks for this @vozelle.  I had just one egg for breakfast and it's been a tough morning.  I was organizing my pantry and feeling like I just wanted to reach for a breakfast treat - any kind of bread or cereal would've done it.  I don't usually crave food in the morning but I'm stressed out...

I made a little one-egg omelet instead.  I feel much better. Then I read your post; I will fret less about the extra eating.   

I think I have a stress fracture in my foot!  Without my usual exercise classes this past week I am feeling down and definitely bloated.  So, with less high-impact exercise, this Whole30 might REALLY challenge me to disregard weight loss.  Goodbye HIIT workouts for a while.  Anyone have favorite low-impact exercise they do in the winter?  I'm sure I'll be Spinning...

@drtracyb way to go over the last three days! @CaseyLee yes, quite tired day 8.  Just an out-of-gas feeling.  @Julzology I like your thought process on how others' eating impacts your feelings.  My daughter eats basically white foods.  She's thirteen and fit but I'm worried about the tolls this is going to take on her.  Impossible to get her to eat protein and veggies.  My husband likes triscuit, cheese, peanuts and beer as a small evening snack.  He's slim too but what is this doing to his health?  Both of them have been sick a lot this fall and winter.  But not for me to get angry or anxious about.  It's beyond my control.  I can only control my own nutrition.  And maybe the baby's, to a degree!  @Anissa I think I need more water, too.     

Thank you @Nira81 I agree completely and am reminding myself today that what I can do is be a good role model.  If I stick to it and complete the 30 days clean maybe they'll see my results and want some of that good stuff.  Oh and hope your stress fracture gets better soon.  My favorite low impact exercise is the eliptical machine but that might still be too much weight on your foot.  

Meanwhile, I had this itchy rash on my chest and I attribute to sweating at night.  I haven't been sweating nearly as much (I had no idea that alcohol caused night sweats until I read it here) and my itchy chest rash has completely disappeared.  I'm really excited about that.  

I am looking forward to my Orange Theory workout tomorrow morning.  That's a good thing.  I had gotten out of the habit of exercising daily and I'm feeling pulled to jump back in.  

Day 9!  Feeling really good.  No cravings or any interest in eating from my staff lounge.  I decided to prep a non egg breakfast this week.  On my first Whole 30 I got so sick of eggs.  I figure I'll alternate and go back to an egg breakfast next week. I can feel my clothes fitting better already.  I'm going to exercise tonight.  I exercised for the first time in awhile last Sunday and it felt great.  I am going to try and go on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday evening.  Have a great day everyone!

Hi, a little late, but would like to join your conversations.  I am on day 9 today (started January 2).  I completed the W30 about a year ago, and did very well on it, tried a few more times throughout the year, but no luck.  I know the first round I was feeling as some of you have talked about, very dizzy, light-headed.  I was advised to eat more, and of course add more salt.  So this round I am trying to eat more and add salt, but still feeling a bit nauseous, but my body may still be coming around to the W30 plan.  I have been sleeping a lot, way more than the norm, and hoping I will get more energy soon.  Thank you for this post, as it has given me a lot of encouragement ...

@lfein This is my 5th or 6th Whole 30 and I've been struggling with nausea too. Here's what's helped me: bone broth, extra salt, half a banana, kombucha and especially not waiting too long to eat. If I start to get jittery from not eating I know I'll probably be nauseous when I do have something. Ginger tea is also great. Of course, your nausea may be different but maybe these things would help? If anything, just know you're not the only one! 

I have to say that I am feeling pretty great today.  I woke up right on time to make it to my 5:30 AM CrossFit class and rocked double-unders!  Before Whole30 I wasn't eating too terribly bad until Christmas hit and I indulged somewhat in several desserts :lol:.  I read in one of the books that some people report having crazy food dreams and have awful cravings and I really hope that doesn't happen to me.  I also wonder if the reason I feel good is because I have already been exercising 4-5 days a week and eating fairly healthy.

Three things:

1) there needs to be a name for that feeling when you go to get something from your fridge, realize you need to read the label, and it's compliant!! that's a great feeling. 

2) it feels AMAZING not to feel controlled by my cravings for sugar and carbs! like such a relief, and  it frees up so much of my BEING. 

3) Fruit tastes incredible but SO sweet. 

This community is seriously so great! I look forward to reading all the posts for the day and I feel encouraged just from all the positivity. 

Tonight was a really big milestone for me because after I finished dinner I didn't think about food once! I didn't imagine dessert or a snack and I walked right through the the kitchen to my room without even a glimpse at the fridge! I haven't felt many of the side effects or benefits from the reset (yet) but this progress is so uplifting. 

I'm already worried about how my life will be afterwords, if I will fall back into my old habits or just feel lost! 

Good luck with the rest of this journey. You are great!

Hi all! Day 9 is in the books and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I hit up crossfit tonight for the first time in about a month and I felt better than I thought I would during the class. I think I waited just the right amount of time between starting W30 and working out again. While the cold weather made me sleepy (yes, I'm whining about 55 degree weather....), today was the first day that I wasn't super exhausted. I wanted to share with you guys a good pre-workout that I learned by reading the forum during my first round...a handful of olives! I know it sounds weird, but they help fuel my workout without any weird after-taste. 

Good job to everyone for making it this far. Almost 1/3 done!

Morning everyone! Day 10- we made it to double digits!

Yesterday was the first day I didn't really *enjoy* the meals I had for lunch or dinner. They were fine just nothing exciting. I need to plan/prep better for next week, I've been spending way too much time each morning cooking breakfast and getting my lunch together.

Also had my first food dream last night- dreamed I ate something non-compliant by accident and spit it out. Haha.

Feeling better/more enthusiastic this morning. Might be a late night at work so I brought dinner just in case.

Could use a little motivation today. Made it to Day 10 and I'm enjoying the food so I don't feel strong pull to go off-course; however, the only NSVs I have right now are a lower resting heart rate and mostly better sleep (according to FitBit). I was feeling really happy and motivated over the weekend even though I was at an event for 12 hours each day and had to come home and stand and cook and clean until I went to bed both days, but yesterday and today I've been dragging. I didn't expect to go back down in those feelings and I'm hoping for the energy that people are starting to find now. So in the meantime I'm feeling a little frustrated and could use some support/motivation.

8 minutes ago, jesscummings said:

Could use a little motivation today. Made it to Day 10 and I'm enjoying the food so I don't feel strong pull to go off-course; however, the only NSVs I have right now are a lower resting heart rate and mostly better sleep (according to FitBit). I was feeling really happy and motivated over the weekend even though I was at an event for 12 hours each day and had to come home and stand and cook and clean until I went to bed both days, but yesterday and today I've been dragging. I didn't expect to go back down in those feelings and I'm hoping for the energy that people are starting to find now. So in the meantime I'm feeling a little frustrated and could use some support/motivation.

I'm right there with you today and I also keep bouncing back and forth between being super motivated and super blah.  I will say what's keeping me going are reading everyone's account of their w30 and knowing that I'm not in it alone.  My husband is doing it too, and he seems to finally be over the cranky pants phase.  My fitbit unfortunately has not given me the same results of a lower heart rate.  I think it may have something to do with taking in more sodium to help alleviate the lightheaded feeling I was dealing with on days 7 and 8.  I plan on adding running back in soon, that should help. 

53 minutes ago, jesscummings said:

Hang in there @jesscummings and @MarcellaC I think the ups and downs will even out to more up than down in the coming weeks.  Everyone is different so it make take a little longer to get that consistent good, lots of energy feeling.  I'm still up and down too but starting to notice more up than down.  Take it one day at a time.  That's how I'm making it.  Thinking about the Whole30 days makes it harder for me.  Today. Just take care of today.  Plus, @jesscummings that was a long hard weekend, your body might still be recovering from the 12 hour days followed by working at home until bedtime.  That's a lot.  

I did the 6:45 Orange Theory Fitness workout this morning and I really like doing it in the morning.  Just need to be more prepared.  I was late for work because I hadn't prepared lunch and dinner the night before. I'm going to sign up for that class more often.  Made me feel really primed for the day.  (of course I'm probably going to really crash tonight)

12 hours ago, AmberRayAnn said:

This community is seriously so great! I look forward to reading all the posts for the day and I feel encouraged just from all the positivity. 

Tonight was a really big milestone for me because after I finished dinner I didn't think about food once! I didn't imagine dessert or a snack and I walked right through the the kitchen to my room without even a glimpse at the fridge! I haven't felt many of the side effects or benefits from the reset (yet) but this progress is so uplifting. 

I'm already worried about how my life will be afterwords, if I will fall back into my old habits or just feel lost! 

Good luck with the rest of this journey. You are great!

Food Feedom Forever would be a great book for you right now!

15 minutes ago, Julzology said:

I did the 6:45 Orange Theory Fitness workout this morning and I really like doing it in the morning.  

Wow! I'm impressed with the time!  And curious to find out what Orange Theory Fitness is. 

Day 10. I'm definitely feeling the lack of excitement that Whole30 authors noted, however, I'm still sleeping well and my body's showing changes... my work slacks fit better...for the 1 day that I got to go to work this week. :) 

Winter blahs are here and we have a lot of snow days and weird weather causing grocery stores to close and other companies to try to survive their collapsed roofs. 

I'm looking forward to my workout this afternoon. 

1 hour ago, jesscummings said:

Be patient, and stay the course… 10 days isn't that much in the big picture… it's already amazing that you're having any results at all! Celebrate every little wonderful thing you're feeling and hold on for the long-haul. The benefits are definitely coming, the timing is just different for everyone.  You're doing so great!  Keep up the good work!!!

1 hour ago, MarcellaC said:

I'm right there with you today and I also keep bouncing back and forth between being super motivated and super blah.  I will say what's keeping me going are reading everyone's account of their w30 and knowing that I'm not in it alone.  My husband is doing it too, and he seems to finally be over the cranky pants phase.  My fitbit unfortunately has not given me the same results of a lower heart rate.  I think it may have something to do with taking in more sodium to help alleviate the lightheaded feeling I was dealing with on days 7 and 8.  I plan on adding running back in soon, that should help. 

See above!

Hello friends, need some dietary help!!!

(Disclaimer. This may be a bit TMI, my apologies)

I've had some major issues with loose stool. At first I thought it was from too many nuts,then tried to consume more potatoes to account for it. No luck.

Any good foods to eat to help with regulatory bathroom habits?? 

Thanks for any input in advance!

Day 10 woo hoo! Great job everyone. This week's breakfast is egg salad with homemade mayo on greens. Yum! 

For those needing motivation, I totally get it! I was feeling like bowing out a few days ago when I was feeling so sick. In my experience, sometimes it's good to just sit with it and participate in some self care. Sitting quietly, perhaps meditating on the feelings may bring to light why you are feeling the way you are. Perhaps you're feeling constrained by the food choices, or mourning your old lifestyle. It can be scary to go forward without the comforting tools of the past, like that glass of wine at the end of the day. That fear can manifest in many ways, like feeling unmotivated to continue. If you sit with it and feel it, soon it will pass! 

unnamed.jpg

thanks pahntommeb, I am not good at sitting and thinking, but I will think about it:)

tonight is pizza night with kid, I am happy that I have not eaten pizza with her since my last whole30, that is a NSV.  I try to have a juicy burger with sautéed mushrooms and maybe some tomato sauce and whatever veg bits I have around.  We watch a shared tv show while we eat as shared mom teen time while dspouse is out at a rehearsal.

Striving banana is a classic or pure applesauce if you can stand how sweet either will taste

A near miss tonight: I didn't really eat enough today. I have to do freelance work tonight after working all day and I just want to go to sleep. I thought I'd pick up Chipotle to save myself time and effort. I was in the line and googled compliant stuff--and then thought "what would a little rice bran oil do" and ordered a barbacoa salad. I gave myself this whole speech about how it wouldn't hurt anything blah blah blah. By the time I got home I called BS and ate the gaucomole and some hard boiled eggs. Didn't touch the barbacoa. 

I remembered the email and info about days 11 & 12 being some of the hardest days. And I'm just thrilled--I never would have been able to say no to it before, I would have caved so quickly. And I wasn't tempted by sugar lol. It was rice bran oil that almost got me. 

Archived