January 2nd start date

calibilly

Excited to be at day 12! Until a couple of days ago I was struggling with a lot of fatigue, but Wednesday and Thursday I felt really energetic and clear headed.  Wonderful!  I also experienced my first major NSV last night:  I slept a solid 8 hours without waking up in the middle of the night and awoke feeling rested which I haven't experienced in a long time.  Now my mission for this weekend is to plan out some entrees I haven't tried for next week's meals and get prepped for them.  Have a great weekend everyone!

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 12 everyone!

It is so weird, I used to be obsessed with food, always thinking about the next meal or snack and the last two days I have to make myself eat my entire meal. I never knew I could feel this way, I much prefer it over my former obsession.

Work party tomorrow night, will be a challenge but I have a plan.

TMI alert...

I am so frustrated the last couple of days. More often than not I have a stomach ache after a meal. I am eating all compliant and I know my body is adjusting to a very different diet than I had before W30 but last night I actually vomited after dinner (my husband and I ate the same meal so I don't think it was food poisoning). Then had the worst diarrhea. I was shaky with cold sweats. Went to bed at 9:30. 

This afternoon I don't feel great after lunch. Trying to have peppermint tea to make it go away. Already had a lose stool. 

I also went home from work because of stomach cramps and bloating on Monday, I was mostly constipated that day though. 

This is my second W30 and maybe I just blocked these symptoms out of my mind or they were out weighed by the good in the end but I am so over this. I just want to feel good. 

Sorry to be a whiner. 

1 hour ago, Karen Twin-Cities said:

Sorry to be a whiner. 

Being that I'm a teacher of tweens I've have been around the flu---I got my flu shot last October, so I think I'm good....I'm willing to bet you have a stomach virus, and it showed up with a vengeance when you took away the gluten/dairy/other stuff you were normally eating. Definitely do self-care and hold tight to taking care of you!

8 hours ago, kirkor said:

@wsporty01 that's good, actually --- we wouldn't want to do Day 13 *on* Friday the 13th! :ph34r:

Ack! Wouldn't that be something! :lol:

7 hours ago, Julzology said:

.  My body is strong, flexible, healthy and has served me very well these 56 years.  I need to learn to love it and stop pinning a number on it like a scarlet letter.  

I'm sitting here reading your post and remembering that I just said those things about myself and the scale. I don't own scales any more...they don't own me. Like you, I have a health exam scheduled in February. I guess I'll find out then how much I weigh because I don't care to know now or later at this point. 

6 hours ago, Nira81 said:

Well, I've been VERY haphazard these last two days, just not wanting to eat but then after mealtimes kind of extending the meals with second helpings I don't need.  I'm not doing very well I'm afraid.  All my foods have been compliant but I'm struggling.  Can I turn this thing around?  I want to renew my dedication today, and regain my initial enthusiasm.  It was so fun that first week!  I guess I'm a little angry at some things:  I want to clear the pantry of my husband's and daughter's foods that I stare at daily and can't have.  I want to be in my exercise classes or jogging the trails, but this ankle needs rest.  Maybe this is my kill-everything moment?

I am sorry to be such a downer today... On the plus side, no sugar cravings and I am easily passing on sweets and alcohol.  My energy at work has been great and I've felt clear-headed and mindful with my clients too.  I think I'll revisit the NSV's checklist and remember why I'm doing this!  

You're definitely not alone. It's a mental game, isn't it? We're fighting the mentality of making the changes.

You've got great NSVs! 

Day 12...Thank you to all of you helping keep track! 

I have more energy than I did during the first days....probably like 100% more than then. Despite the freezing temperatures and the ice and snow, I'm getting outside and trying to get the shopping done, paying bills, and preparing meals. We've only been in school for 1 day in the past month due to winter break/snowmagedan 2017, and hope to go back next Tuesday---I'm bored and it's showing here at home. My family is probably willing to pay for me to go back to work at this point--I'm a bit too grumpy and snarly at any one who dares leave a dish or walks in the house with shoes on. 

ON a LIGHTER note: For the first time since last year, I am able to zip up my jacket! The funny thing is, I didn't realize that I could zip it up until I was walking out of the store and freezing! I just reached down and started zipping up my jacket. I haven't been able to get it around my girth all fall and this winter season without hiking it up, zipping it, and struggle to pull it down...even then, I couldn't get it zipped up all the way. Today: I can zip my size XL jacket. 

If anything, this way of eating is NOT a diet, but a way to help clean out my body in order to find out what's working towards a healthier life style---or at least that's what I'm hoping and my jacket is showing!

Day 12!!! decent day here. I'm really thrilled that I've made it this far and things are getting easier in terms of planning and prep. 

I'm enjoying a plate of sauteed bok choy, beef brisket, kimchi, and fried eggs. So delicious and SO not something I would have eaten as dinner before! 

I need to go back and read the email from this morning--I'm really identifying with being a stress junkie. I juggled a business, grad school, internship, and kids. I powered myself with sugar and other cheap carbs.

6 hours ago, sunnytropic said:

It is so weird, I used to be obsessed with food, always thinking about the next meal or snack and the last two days I have to make myself eat my entire meal. I never knew I could feel this way, I much prefer it over my former obsession.

I'm really feeling this too!! It feels like it frees up my energy that was always plotting how to get my next sugar or carb fix. It feel so wonderful to see sweets and not be tempted. And odd how I can cobble together a weird meal now that would NEVER have been something I would eat for dinner and be happy with. Now very satisfying. 

Wow wow wow. I love this thread. You all are insanely encouraging and I'm so glad we're on this road together.

Today has been great (!!!). For the first time ever, I ran 2.5 miles on the treadmill (I started working out when I started w30) It's really cool to see them work hand-and-hand. Some days I'll really, really feel like quitting w30. But then I think of the success I've had with my running (At the beginning of the month, I could hardly run a mile. Even though  my pace is still 5.2mph, I can run 2.5 miles now :) ) , and I think to myself "If you quit right now, you know you won't be properly fueled for your run tomorrow. You know if you miss a day of running, you would have an extremely hard time starting again. This is worth it, and you can do this." This is the most bittersweet thing I've ever done (saying goodbye to the old, bad habits- the old you- but becoming a new person along the way), but I can't get enough of this lifestyle (when I have days like today, of course). Went out to eat afterwards, and had salmon/veggies/baked potato. The old me would've scarfed it all down, even after I was full. But I realized I was no longer hungry and took the leftovers home for dinner. That's a NSV in and of itself.

As I mentioned earlier, I bought the book "Food Freedom Forever" on Tuesday and I'm already 2/3 through. I keep telling myself, "I want food freedom. That's how I want to live". Someday, that'll be my reality.

Today on the W30 instagram, they posted a photo that we should be seeing some NSV. Going to look back into the book tomorrow and see all of the NSV I currently have and write them all down. But for now, what are the NSV you all are seeing?!

Also, looking for recommendations!

When I go out to eat, I feel like a "food snob or food diva" (my family doesn't really understand the W30, and isn't interested in having a conversation about it. They just think I'm being a picky eater or am being super-paranoid about the food I eat). I really, really, really want this lifestyle to last, but I dont want to continue the name "food diva"... Anyone experience anything similar/ways to improve the situation??

In addition, in mid-February, I am going through a weekend-long interview process at a hotel (meals provided, buffet style)... I'm considering extending my W30 (because my cravings are terrible sometimes, and I just want to be sure I am getting the most out of it.. We'll cross that bridge when we get there), and I'm afraid they wont have complaint ingredients! Even worse, if I don't extend W30, the reintroduction phase will be during that time, and I'm afraid I'll get sick if I eat something that will upset my stomach during the weekend. Thinking about calling the superintendent ahead of time, to request W30 compliant meals? I don't know if that would make the situation worse or better, but I dont want to draw too much attention to myself or be known as a "food snob" during the interview process. Any thoughts friends??? 

On 1/12/2017 at 7:51 PM, iteach said:

I've had the same "issue"....and think to myself, man, I've got a lot of <BEEP> in my system! I've already been reading past posts from mod's and on website that this is "normal" because the body is getting rid of the back up foods and "stuff" that it's been holding for a long time. Mine was a bit more looser during my time of the month, since I tend to retain water like the Hoover Dam. Let's hope this too shall pass (pun intended)..and things will be come normal. 

I've noticed my BM looks odd. I wondered if it was old gross stuff in the bowls. 

6 hours ago, iteach said:

Being that I'm a teacher of tweens I've have been around the flu---I got my flu shot last October, so I think I'm good....I'm willing to bet you have a stomach virus, and it showed up with a vengeance when you took away the gluten/dairy/other stuff you were normally eating. Definitely do self-care and hold tight to taking care of you!

Ack! Wouldn't that be something! :lol:

I'm sitting here reading your post and remembering that I just said those things about myself and the scale. I don't own scales any more...they don't own me. Like you, I have a health exam scheduled in February. I guess I'll find out then how much I weigh because I don't care to know now or later at this point. 

You're definitely not alone. It's a mental game, isn't it? We're fighting the mentality of making the changes.

You've got great NSVs! 

my ankle is bothering me and I haven't run for several days   Going to try and get a ride in tomorrow on my bike. Did yoga tonight. So Friday night is pizza night at my house and I didn't want to be tempted. I made portabellla mushrooms stuffed with compliant pasta sauce, spinach, tricolor peppers, green onions and compliant pepperoni (turkey). Yum! I love reading all the changes people are noticing. I told my husband I feel looser in my muscles and joints which I really noticed in yoga tonight and I thought was quite interesting because I haven't stretched and I'm always tight. I've been more clear headed at work and I feel calmer. I don't know how to explain it other than I just feel more even in my mood and much less angry. Hopefully that will last because I tend to have a temper. 

All in all I feel pretty darn good. NSV.  Just figured out what that means I confess lol. 

How great to hear you are all doing so well! I'm happy to report that my husband (who usually eats 2 sandwiches for any meal I am not a part of) has been eating W30 compliant foods since Jan 6th! He saw the success of my last two and decided to unofficially join me this round. He's been really good about eating the right foods and checking labels when grocery shopping. We navigated a restaurant today and he thanked me for inspiring him to eat better. Talk about a NSV! We have another birthday party tomorrow and we are currently prepping a fun bunless burger meal for us to bring. I really don't miss any foods right now, but I'm still missing my wine and cocktails. I wasn't drinking much before this month, but I enjoy the freedom of being able to have a glass when I want. Oh well. It's a small sacrifice for a bigger goal. 

Have a great weekend everyone!

9 hours ago, StrivingToBeSteadfast said:

Also, looking for recommendations!

When I go out to eat, I feel like a "food snob or food diva" (my family doesn't really understand the W30, and isn't interested in having a conversation about it. They just think I'm being a picky eater or am being super-paranoid about the food I eat). I really, really, really want this lifestyle to last, but I dont want to continue the name "food diva"... Anyone experience anything similar/ways to improve the situation??

In addition, in mid-February, I am going through a weekend-long interview process at a hotel (meals provided, buffet style)... I'm considering extending my W30 (because my cravings are terrible sometimes, and I just want to be sure I am getting the most out of it.. We'll cross that bridge when we get there), and I'm afraid they wont have complaint ingredients! Even worse, if I don't extend W30, the reintroduction phase will be during that time, and I'm afraid I'll get sick if I eat something that will upset my stomach during the weekend. Thinking about calling the superintendent ahead of time, to request W30 compliant meals? I don't know if that would make the situation worse or better, but I dont want to draw too much attention to myself or be known as a "food snob" during the interview process. Any thoughts friends??? 

I just watched a video by Tony Horton (I hope I'm allowed to say and reference his name....I apologize if I'm wrong) about finding out who's in your "tribe", and who are the ones you're hanging out with. Are they supporting you? Do they encourage your life style? Etc. He said it better, of course, but I just wanted to share that with you and maybe you'll find peace in knowing that you're doing what's best for you---even if it's not the popular thing with your people...tribe.  I'm re-evaluating my own tribe..it's a small tribe, and they don't have anything better to do than discuss how horrible whole fat anything is bad for you. 

As for the interview process---Wow! That's awesome! I'm impressed! I'm actually going to a conference at the end of this month for a long weekend...during my whole30. I'm taking a small cooler of compliant meals prepared so I can eat in my motel room prior to some meals, and have snacks to take with me for meetings. If you don't feel comfortable to call and ask what's on the menu for the weekend and if they have non-dairy/gluten free choices, maybe take your own items with you for the sake of feeling prepared and in control. The hotels I've stayed at have been wonderful with providing healthy choices for all dietary needs, so I hope they will for you as well. Sending good vibes your way, and can't wait to hear how it goes!

10 hours ago, StrivingToBeSteadfast said:

Wow wow wow. I love this thread. You all are insanely encouraging and I'm so glad we're on this road together.

Today has been great (!!!). For the first time ever, I ran 2.5 miles on the treadmill (I started working out when I started w30) It's really cool to see them work hand-and-hand. Some days I'll really, really feel like quitting w30. But then I think of the success I've had with my running (At the beginning of the month, I could hardly run a mile. Even though  my pace is still 5.2mph, I can run 2.5 miles now :) ) , and I think to myself "If you quit right now, you know you won't be properly fueled for your run tomorrow. You know if you miss a day of running, you would have an extremely hard time starting again. This is worth it, and you can do this." This is the most bittersweet thing I've ever done (saying goodbye to the old, bad habits- the old you- but becoming a new person along the way), but I can't get enough of this lifestyle (when I have days like today, of course). Went out to eat afterwards, and had salmon/veggies/baked potato. The old me would've scarfed it all down, even after I was full. But I realized I was no longer hungry and took the leftovers home for dinner. That's a NSV in and of itself.

As I mentioned earlier, I bought the book "Food Freedom Forever" on Tuesday and I'm already 2/3 through. I keep telling myself, "I want food freedom. That's how I want to live". Someday, that'll be my reality.

Today on the W30 instagram, they posted a photo that we should be seeing some NSV. Going to look back into the book tomorrow and see all of the NSV I currently have and write them all down. But for now, what are the NSV you all are seeing?!

Congrats on your running! I did my 13th half marathon in August (I'm a tortoise but I get it done!) and I bet I couldn't even run a mile now. I was burned out and took the fall off from working out pretty much at all. 

I started working out again at the beginning of this month but I haven't run yet, I've just been doing the bike trainer and some strength training. I hate the cold weather and the gym I have the easiest access to has *the worst* treadmills. I also have a gym at work so I'll have to make the effort to go there, the treadmills are much better than my condo complex gym.

I LOVE reading all your posts and am so excited for those seeing benefits already. You inspire me and keep me focused and ontrack. Today is Day13 for me and I still feel tired, foggy and Miss Cranky-Pants. I have had a few hours of less anxiety and more feelings of calm but that has only been a couple of times this past week. In no way do I want to quit but at the same time, I can see why people do quit around this time. But - lol - I have told too many people I am doing Whole30. I can see that I have lost some weight but my main goal was to reset my metabolism and fuel on fat (and protein) rather than sugar. I will continue this Whole30 journey but thanks again for sharing your stories - it helps me look forward to what is to come!! Have a great day!

Day 13... The energy is coming...I can feel it.

I REALLY love Whole30 and REALLY appreciate this thread of amazing people sharing this journey! I've come to read how you're doing and it helps me realize that I'm not alone, when sometimes making changes for ourselves is a lonely journey. I'm doing this on my own, even though I have a very supportive family. It's just me trucking along here at home. 

I signed my husband and I up for our first 5k in March yesterday. We did 4 last year and loved every one of them! I'm not a runner, yet, but I like to walk really fast with music in my ears with a ton of other people as a competition. My personal goal is to build up to running the 5k coming up and also do a 10K some time this year. I know from past experience with Whole30 that I can recharge my body, so that's going to be my drive to keep going. I'm really loving my energy returning and feeling in control again, so I'm also considering continuing with another round of Whole30 for February---I guess it would be a Whole28....LOL But another month may be in order. 

I hope your day is amazing!

@iteach thank you for the props - so glad you and others are feeling lighter.  @StrivingToBeSteadfast And better-fueled for workouts too.  Is Whole30 "lighter" better than any diet weight loss, or what?  It's a stable and grounded feeling, NOT a shaky white-knuckles weight-loss challenge.  @Anissa I'm with you with an ankle issue - on the bike as we speak.  Working out SO much less has me feeling a little frustrated but I can tell I'm not gaining weight etc. and it must be the food.  

Can anyone tell I'm feeling better today?   I had a reset-within-a-reset yesterday.  Realized I have to REALLY be more mindful.  Grabbing HB eggs and some carrot sticks and chowing them in a rush is not a mindful breakfast.  I had a lovely plated breakfast on a plate yesterday, bigger than usual (is eating breakfast weird for anyone else??).  Five hours later I was ready to eat but not famished.  Success! 

Next, I am constantly frustrated by my pantry, still stocked with non-compliant foods for my family.  Well, why am I even going in the pantry?  It's just habit, hunting down what to serve with dinner.  With my cooking now, I only need the fridge and the spice cabinet!  I stayed out of the pantry closet completely yesterday.  If I headed that way, I changed course for some ginger tea or lemon water.  

Finally, I have to fill my plate full and not be embarrassed about how much I can eat.   I have to enjoy every bite.  And say, "enough is enough" when done.  Yesterday I did this.  I didn't sample the goods while cooking or pick at leftovers while cleaning up.  It was different. 

The mindful eating is central to this process and I've been fudging on that part; I think the physical cravings had to loosen their hold before I could even see it.  Now that the physical cravings are less of an issue I feel I can really work with this now.  

Any weekend plotting and planning for success?

12 hours ago, Anissa said:

my ankle is bothering me and I haven't run for several days   Going to try and get a ride in tomorrow on my bike. Did yoga tonight. So Friday night is pizza night at my house and I didn't want to be tempted. I made portabellla mushrooms stuffed with compliant pasta sauce, spinach, tricolor peppers, green onions and compliant pepperoni (turkey). Yum! I love reading all the changes people are noticing. I told my husband I feel looser in my muscles and joints which I really noticed in yoga tonight and I thought was quite interesting because I haven't stretched and I'm always tight. I've been more clear headed at work and I feel calmer. I don't know how to explain it other than I just feel more even in my mood and much less angry. Hopefully that will last because I tend to have a temper. 

All in all I feel pretty darn good. NSV.  Just figured out what that means I confess lol. 

Turkey pepperoni?!  This opens up a whole new realm for my husband and I, he LOVES pizza.  One of my friends makes crust out of cauliflower, definitely going to look in to that, but will have to get over not having cheese.  I don't miss it, in fact, I don't miss anything, I've had zero cravings during this whole process.  I am not quite sure how I've done it, maybe making sure I'm cooking recipes that are heavy on spices and are very flavorful.  

Whole 30 is really making me feel like I can do anything, I'm no longer a slave to the next meal, I can focus on work without having something to munch on, or watch Netflix with my husband without running to the kitchen for a late night treat.  

I couldn't have found Whole 30 at a better time. I've been attending CrossFit classes since July last year and while I was getting stronger, I wasn't losing that layer of fluff I still had on top of the muscles I could feel growing underneath :wacko:.   Fast forward to 3 days ago, 3 separate people approached me at work to comment on how great I am looking and how they've noticed me changing, and wanting know what I've been doing.  Of course, once I explained it, they were no longer interested.  It's so hard to get people motivated to be their best, I've tried shouting it from the rooftops, I've even hung up a free two week membership on the side of my cubicle wall that has been there for months, no bites. If they only knew how great they could feel and BE!  

1 hour ago, MarcellaC said:

I couldn't have found Whole 30 at a better time. I've been attending CrossFit classes since July last year and while I was getting stronger, I wasn't losing that layer of fluff I still had on top of the muscles I could feel growing underneath :wacko:.   Fast forward to 3 days ago, 3 separate people approached me at work to comment on how great I am looking and how they've noticed me changing, and wanting know what I've been doing.  Of course, once I explained it, they were no longer interested.  It's so hard to get people motivated to be their best, I've tried shouting it from the rooftops, I've even hung up a free two week membership on the side of my cubicle wall that has been there for months, no bites. If they only knew how great they could feel and BE!  

Yes! I can totally resonate with this. During my first year of crossfit I had a lot of people asking about what I was doing and seemed interested in doing it also. When our box did a Groupon deal I bought a handful of them for close friends and family and not one person used it. I would never push someone to do something, but these were people who told me they wanted to do it but used $ as the reason they didn't. I just had to learn that we all have our own journey and we figure things out when the time is right for us. I know I ignored some really good advice in my 20s that now has me wishing I hadn't (investing instead of shopping, for example). All we can do is keep doing what we're doing. Whether anyone makes a change for themselves is on them, but that doesn't mean that we aren't motivating them in some way. 

1 hour ago, CarolineW26 said:

Yes! I can totally resonate with this... I just had to learn that we all have our own journey and we figure things out when the time is right for us... All we can do is keep doing what we're doing. Whether anyone makes a change for themselves is on them, but that doesn't mean that we aren't motivating them in some way. 

Me too, totally resonates! Amen, sister(s).

Had to share a funny story from last night- began seasoning some steaks with my favorite Penzey's seasoning and I looked at the ingredients afterwards...of course, it listed SUGAR. I literally rinsed it off the steaks, dried them off and switched to a different one without sugar. Another close call!

Life is full of surprises... today is a Day 1 reset for me (for a really GOOD reason, no need for condolences!). My functional medicine MD ordered a "Cross-Reactive Food Sensitivity" test that required me to eat a variety of off–plan foods for a few days. This is good, because I've been wanting to do this test for awhile and I'm looking forward to finding out the results. It will show if I am having any autoimmune reactions to things like corn, soy, dairy, and non-gluten grains.

Luckily, I eat Paleo about 95% of the time regularly, so the reset to Day 1 is no major setback. I did not react well to the test foods anyway, so I'm happy to be back "home" with the Whole30.  Stoked be reading about all your NSV's and success with navigating the challenges of this program. Keep up the good work everyone!!

Anissa that sounds delicious.  hope you get a good rest after that ride

vozelle welcome back, now you can really use that new information

NSV I can zip the jeans that wouldn't at the start of the month

I really do need to loose weight and gain arm strength to be functionally fit.  I want to be able to climb into a motor boat from  deep water this summer.

Sunnytropic, good for you noticing and taking care of the problem.

Archived