January 2nd start date

calibilly

I went out for the first time last night since starting Whole30.  My husband had a gig in NYC.  We live on Long Island so the commute is sometimes ridiculous (last time he played this club it took us 3.5 hours to get there, it's a 23 mile trip).  Anyway, we left super early with the plan that we'd go out to dinner before the gig.  We ended up at this place called SushiSamba which is Japanese, south American (Peruvian, Brazilian).  I thought I could probably find something to eat and had beef jerky in my purse just in case.  There were a lot of items on the menu that included soy sauce so I had to avoid those.  I ordered blistered shishito peppers, grilled octopus and collard greens.  I asked the waitress what was in the sauce on the octopus and was told it was peppers and olive oil.  The collards were prepared simply with olive oil and garlic.  I think I made smart choices and asked the right questions.  I drank green tea which was warm and comforting on a wet snowy afternoon.  

Later at the gig I ordered a pot of herbal tea and sipped that while the band played (they were fantastic).  It was a good night and the big surprise for me was that I didn't miss the cocktail.  I thought that would be the hard part, that I'd really want a cocktail but I just did not.  I realized that I wasn't craving either the taste of a cocktail or glass of wine or the effects.  That seems like an important turning point for me.  

I am feeling a resolve about this Whole30 that I didn't feel last time.  Last time I remember feeling angry that I couldn't have a drink as though someone else was denying me.  This time there's none of that.  I feel determined to finish and look forward with anticipation to re-introduction to see how I do with certain foods.  

Day #14.  Tomorrow is halfway!  

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little befuddled this morning.  I woke up with a headache and feeling vaguely hungover, which hasn't happened since the first few days of this program.  I immediately reviewed the last 24 hours to try to pinpoint if it was related to food.  We ate all our meals at home yesterday, and everything I cooked was compliant. I was well hydrated---after my initial morning cup of black tea, I drank water for the rest of the day.  I was feeling particularly happy with dinner since we entertained our supper club group and everyone loved the kabobs with chimichurri marinade (from the Whole30 book recipe section), roasted zucchini and salad we served.  We did buy a dessert at the bakery so our guests could enjoy that, but we didn't partake and made sure the leftovers went home with someone.  After dinner, I had a cup of herbal tea.  It was one of my favorites that I hadn't had since the holidays:  Trader Joe's Candy Cane Green Tea.  It took me a while to realize that that was the only thing I consumed yesterday that I hadn't made from scratch myself.  When I read the label I was shocked to see the words "contains soy."  The ingredients are:  peppermint, decaffeinated green tea, orange peel, natural flavors, cinnamon, milk thistle seed, blackberry leaves, roasted carob pods, vanilla beans, roasted chicory (chicory root, soybean oil, and water).   !!!  I'm assuming that the soy content is fairly minimal, but could that be what is causing this reaction?  I'd love to hear the wisdom of the group about this.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:40 PM, jamk321 said:

I had a hard time finding Tessemae's at Whole Foods as well. Some options were in the vegan refrigerated section and the dressings were in the pre-made food refrigerated area. Made no sense lol. I love the hot buffalo sauce. I grilled chicken and then sliced it and tossed it in the sauce. Baked sweet potato sticks and made dump ranch. Was SO good I almost felt like I was cheating, but was totally compliant. 

The Fooducate site claims the tea is highly processed and has this to say about the "mint and other natural flavors" - People sensitive to MSG, vegans, vegetarians and those with allergies should pay special attention to the phrase "natural flavorings" since glutamates, animal products or allergens may be the source of natural flavors. You can always contact the manufacturer for more information.

Might be a possible cause in there?

@Julzology great job navigating eating out! I went to Sushi Samba a few years ago and really liked it!

Low key day for me- went to the gym for some strength training, 2 grocery stores and now watching football with some seltzer. I miss beer! But he seltzer is a fun change of pace, I'm pretty much only drinking water except when football is on :)

I am trying cauliflower rice tonight. Last night I made braised cabbage for the first time and really enjoyed it. I bought stuff to make pulled pork in the slow cooker tomorrow as well as things to do a breakfast casserole. Happy to have a 3 day weekend!

Hey everyone!! Update from 2 weeks in:

Standout NSV I'm noticing: Healthier skin, clothes being looser, confidence, less stomach aches (!!!), even energy levels (can I get an Amen!?), happier, more patient, handle stress better (x1,000), better sleep, more energy, feel like socializing more (!), look forward to eating healthy, occasionally daydream about food (but realize the negative, less-healthy side effects), really starting to understand my body, better understanding of emotions/using food as comfort, feeling the beginning food freedom.

Running consistantly! Haven't been so consistent about anything in my life, I dont think. (Sad, I know, it's only been two weeks. Haha. But nonetheless, a big milestone for me). Learning to celebrate the tiny victories :)

A few things I want to improve on:

-No more Lara Bars/nuts for the rest of the time (I've been using them for comfort/cravings... Really dont want to have to rely on them when this is over.)

-3 square meals a day, balanced. I feel like I am always scraping together what I can, and most often it probably isnt all that I need. Munch a lot during the day. Also, need to learn how to make better food. I've made a few recipies out of the W30 cookbook that I actually look forward to eating! Hoping to put more time/effort towards prepping meals. 

-Improve the way I talk about food. I don't like the fact that my dietary habits bring attention to me at virtually every meal I spend with others, so I'm trying to learn how to maneuver that better- without sounding snobby/"better than anyone else"/learn how to change the subject.

That's what I've got for 2 weeks in :)

I've decided I'm going to make it a Whole60!! My cravings are pretty bad, but even more of a reason is due to the fact that my Febuary is insane. I dont want to go into the reintroduction period with a crazy schedule, then loose control when I get stressed. Additionally, I can't afford to feel less than my best for the important events Feb. holds. Looking forward to it, I think I'm getting used to this.

Two weeks in, everyone! Tomorrow is halfway. Proud of you all :)

We made some really delicious ropa vieja tonight.  I used a recipe from American's Test Kitchen and only had to leave out one ingredient; wine.  Beef brisket, onions, peppers, garlic, tomato sauce, chicken stock (homemade), olives.  It was so good.  And we had tostones on the side, tostones are fried green plantains.  It was delicious and I wanted a glass of wine but I did not succumb to the temptation even though a bottle was opened and enjoyed by my husband and his mother.  

I realized today that is what will trip me up, not going out, staying home and enjoying what we usually enjoy on a sunday, a nice dinner and bottle of wine.  I can wait.

tomorrow marks the halfway point.  

Tea with soy is way more common than I thought before I did W30

BTW it is really hard to get ingredients out of Trader Joes as they use a lto of different suppliers who are subject to change without notice

went to a theater show at 1 this afternoon. had to leave at noon so tried a brunch at 11. still really hungry by the time I got home at 5.  fortunately I had some hash I could heat up and eat.

but will have to find a place I can eat something out near the theater by Wednesday the 25th as the eat before at home plan will not work with rush hour traffic.

dear mother in law is starting to eat paleo but she is going to be having a lot of SWYPO from what she told us on the phone.  but any step towards healthier eating is good at her age.  good thing for her is she was already very high maintenance at restaurants so special ordering is no biggie for her.

julzology habits are hard to break. would a special drink for you work or just emphasize what you  are missing?

I and a San Pellegrino sparking mineral water at intermission.  this round I have been doing much better not water every day.  but it is colder than my last try and I am drinking more black coffee.

good going Striving to be Steadfast

Ohio Chris they were probably very happy someone ate the carrots

sunnytropic I am thinking pulled pork this week too

My face is breaking out some?? No major cooking today but stayed compliant. Went to three grocery stores after picking my meals out for the week. I'm excited to try them out. Also got a food processor to help speed things along. I have gotten lax on my workouts because I've been so busy trying to keep up with work, laundry, cooking etc. only 4 days with three cardio focused. Balance is my struggle. My job is getting more demanding and my home life is busy. I'm lucky to get an hour of just downtime. This diet has added another dimension to this though it is definitely worth it. I feel better, my clothes fit better. I have been so frustrated because this spring I went up a pant size but had changed nothing in my lifestyle. Other than age lol. I have tried everything to fit back into my pants and nothing has worked. I tried increasing exercise/intensity, more strength training and doing the whole isagenix thing. This is the only thing that has made a difference. I'm slim, but I had developed this lovely spare tire. I read what they say about abdominal fat and health risk factors. I feel like this is getting rid of the visceral fat and adipose fat we don't need. Yay! Don't know what the scale says but I definitely had some solid nsv. 

12 hours ago, JenHZ said:

julzology habits are hard to break. would a special drink for you work or just emphasize what you  are missing?

@JenHZ I'm not sure.  I haven't tried making a mocktail though I did briefly consider pouring my water into a wine glass last night.  But the water glass was fine and I keep asking myself the question, are you really going to consciously decide to go off plan this early?  You're not even to the place you were last time.  I also keep reminding myself that it too, literally, decades to create this mess, 30 days in comparison is a drop in the bucket.  I want the experiment and I want it to be clean.  I want to reintroduce on day 31 knowing that I have a clean system with which to compare.  What's the point otherwise?

Almost halfway there!

My breakfast casserole is in the oven and I have some pork in the slow cooker for pulled pork tonight.

I really enjoyed cauliflower rice last night. I was planning to make it myself in the food processor but the price difference at the store for a head of cauliflower vs already riced was only $0.50 so I went with the already riced one. I added some onion, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, coconut aminos, and eggs to make a fried rice with it. So good.

Happy Day #15!

One big NSV occurred this past weekend. I co-planned my friend's 30th birthday party this weekend. Naturally, there was much alcohol involved (if you know anything about Wisconsin... we know how to throw down). AND there were lots of sweets and snacks. I did NOT budge on my Whole30 track and stuck to the plan! I made some compliant bacon wrapped dates, brought my own compliant brats, and a sweet potato to snack on throughout the night. I also brought a 12 pack of Klarbrunn to drink while everyone else was partaking in the sparkly pink champagne mixed drink and the free beer that was overflowing.

My only disappointment is that I had more bacon wrapped dates than I feel like I should have (I ate to snack, not because I was hungry later in the night). I'm really glad other people liked my snack as well! My biggest suggestion to those new to the program and going to parties: even if the host is providing food, bring something YOU can eat. Unless you think they'll be pissed, then just pack a bag of your own stuff... but not only are you bringing something that you can eat to keep you on track, but you're also contributing and helping your host! And maybe it will convince others that you're not so crazy for partaking on this journey if they taste the delicious (healthy) food you've made!

Not only did I stick to the Whole30, but I didn't allow the fact that I wasn't drinking hinder my fun! I stayed up until 3am with the rest of 'em and danced the night away! Just goes to show, you don't need to drink to have a good time people! Best part? I didn't wake up with my head pounding and an upset stomach like everyone else ;) 

23 hours ago, cescaw said:

I'm a little befuddled this morning.  I woke up with a headache and feeling vaguely hungover, which hasn't happened since the first few days of this program.  I immediately reviewed the last 24 hours to try to pinpoint if it was related to food.  We ate all our meals at home yesterday, and everything I cooked was compliant. I was well hydrated---after my initial morning cup of black tea, I drank water for the rest of the day.  I was feeling particularly happy with dinner since we entertained our supper club group and everyone loved the kabobs with chimichurri marinade (from the Whole30 book recipe section), roasted zucchini and salad we served.  We did buy a dessert at the bakery so our guests could enjoy that, but we didn't partake and made sure the leftovers went home with someone.  After dinner, I had a cup of herbal tea.  It was one of my favorites that I hadn't had since the holidays:  Trader Joe's Candy Cane Green Tea.  It took me a while to realize that that was the only thing I consumed yesterday that I hadn't made from scratch myself.  When I read the label I was shocked to see the words "contains soy."  The ingredients are:  peppermint, decaffeinated green tea, orange peel, natural flavors, cinnamon, milk thistle seed, blackberry leaves, roasted carob pods, vanilla beans, roasted chicory (chicory root, soybean oil, and water).   !!!  I'm assuming that the soy content is fairly minimal, but could that be what is causing this reaction?  I'd love to hear the wisdom of the group about this.

I don't have any wisdom to share except to say that I was similarly befuddled this morning.  I wonder if I'm getting enough sleep.  I suspect it is another layer of detoxifying.

Happy Day 15!

If I wasn't feeling under the weather, I'd probably have the amazing energy that I know and have heard about. I suspect my husband has brought home a touch of the viral flu going around his work---I've been trying to do some chores in between napping and drinking my water, black coffee, and tea.

NSV's include...but not limited to:

• Getting out of bed to do some of the chores that need to be done before our 4th storm hits...Food is NOT staying in my body and I can't keep warm...or I'm too warm. My body can't decide.
  • I took a "Day 15" picture and compared it to my "Day 1" picture, and I think there's a real difference in my belly. 
  • My work pants fit without leaving a "ring around the girth"...although I've only had to wear them once in the past month for work since we've been on a perpetual "winter break". We'll see what happens when I return tomorrow---crossing fingers we DO return!
  • I definitely have stamina in more areas than just in my exercise routine...I can plank for nearly a minute compared to 20 seconds. I'm not a planker. It's just part of my new exercise routine.
  • I'm a solid sleeper now. Yes, I snore. I'm good with that.

Cheers to all, and hope everyone is doing well and looking forward!

3 hours ago, sunnytropic said:

Almost halfway there!

My breakfast casserole is in the oven and I have some pork in the slow cooker for pulled pork tonight.

I really enjoyed cauliflower rice last night. I was planning to make it myself in the food processor but the price difference at the store for a head of cauliflower vs already riced was only $0.50 so I went with the already riced one. I added some onion, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, coconut aminos, and eggs to make a fried rice with it. So good.

Thank you for sharing! I have frozen "riced" cauliflower that I've been saving to use for the right recipe. I'll have to try this one!

36 minutes ago, StrivingToBeSteadfast said:

Hello all,

Is anyone feeling unusually sluggish today?? I am taking new medicine, so it could certainly be that, but I am feeling exausted and frustrated with this thing. Wonder if it's just part of the plan, but I havent felt this way in a few days.

Hope you all are having a better day than I am!

So close to halfway.

I hope it goes away quickly and you can adjust to the meds. 

Hi! I've been following this thread almost daily and enjoy hearing everyone's experiences. This is my first W30 and it really hasn't been as hard as I thought it would. The only thing I miss out of all the restrictions is the sugar. 

What I'm wondering is if there is anyone else that hasn't seen or felt any differences or changes. I am trying W30 to help with my energy and sleep at night. I haven't noticed any difference at all. I haven't gone through any of the things listed on the timeline. I have felt the same each day as I did before I started. It makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong? I've been diligent to check food labels to make sure everything is compliant. I'm stumped! 

1 hour ago, Crastney said:

I have just started a 30 day yoga challenge!  as if W30 wasn't difficult enough already! :)

I started my W30 and a yoga challenge at the same time...lets just say so far the W30 is winning but I'm ok with that. I still do hot power yoga 2-3 times a week. Maybe after the W30 I will start my yoga challenge over. 

52 minutes ago, Whole30Peach said:

Hi! I've been following this thread almost daily and enjoy hearing everyone's experiences. This is my first W30 and it really hasn't been as hard as I thought it would. The only thing I miss out of all the restrictions is the sugar. 

What I'm wondering is if there is anyone else that hasn't seen or felt any differences or changes. I am trying W30 to help with my energy and sleep at night. I haven't noticed any difference at all. I haven't gone through any of the things listed on the timeline. I have felt the same each day as I did before I started. It makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong? I've been diligent to check food labels to make sure everything is compliant. I'm stumped! 

This is my second W30 and from my experience with the first I didn't feel any different until about day 25. IMO if you were relatively healthy before your W30 the changes will be more subtle. 

Stick to it, if nothing else you will have had the self control and dedication to made it through a challenging 30 day lifestyle change and that will be a NSV!

Ahh, yoga.  @Crastney I bet it's going to be a good compliment to Whole30.

I made it to the gym!  My first public workout in 15 days and it feels great.  I honestly had no idea how I was doing, body composition-wise (and of course weight wise) and I've been feeling down about myself and doubting my abilities. 

The gym mirrors don't lie to me though.  And guess what, I'm doing okay shape wise and fitness wise.  I did a lot of hard moves while still protecting my foot.  It felt great.  It's gotta be the food.  Victory.  

What can I learn from this?  How bad my self doubt is when I don't have any "mirrors" like group ex feedback or speed or the scale?  If I keep on Whole30-ing and trusting this process (and myself) a little more, I could really feel better all around.  

Day #16

6:15 workout at Orange Theory Fitness.  I had an orange and some almond butter for my pre-workout which I know isn't enough protein and too much carb.  My post workout meal was a couple of forkfuls of leftover ropa vieja which is more compliant but I really need to plan ahead better than I have been.  I feel good, I feel like my tummy is ever so slightly smaller which is a good thing.  

Breakfast is two boiled eggs and half an avocado.  Should have brought some veg to go with that.  

I think my main challenge now is to make my meals more compliant in terms of balance.  I'm not eating off plan but breakfast especially isn't balanced well.  Lunch and dinner I usually do OK. 

Another evening out planned for Thursday.  My hubby has a gig in Brooklyn.  We plan to eat before hand.  

Day 16, we're more than halfway there!

Anyone else worried reintroduction and life after already? I just started reading It Starts with Food and have Food Freedom Forever to read next.

I've been a yo-yo dieter my whole life, in 2008-2009 I lost 107 lbs and in the time since slowly gained back about 80 of it (losing up to 25 here or there before re-gaining).

I need to figure out what is going to work for me in the long run. I've felt really good pretty much these whole 16 days. I know I can't be this strict forever but I think finding the balance to be a little more flexible without going off the deep end afterwards will be a challenge.

I tend to be an all or nothing person, with the nothing being eating bags of chips and candy in secret and hiding it from my family. I know that's not healthy but I'm having a little pity party about not being able to do that anymore. In the moment it feels good but afterwards it doesn't obviously.

Archived