January 2nd start date

calibilly

Ugh, I accidentally ate something with canola oil in it today! We had a catered breakfast at work and I had some of the scrambled eggs. Afterwards, my stomach started not feeling good, so I looked at the ingredients and the eggs had canola oil! I guess I learned my lesson about making assumptions about what's in different types of food! My stomach is really not feeling good and I have a headache, so I guess I know canola oil doesn't agree with me. I'll be keeping a careful eye on if I have any off plan food cravings that are triggered by this today and try to stay extra motivated!!

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started on Dec 31st so am on day 18 today. Haven't been following the forum and am very new to posting on forums. I don't feel much of a change so far...Not getting on the scale but no noticeable weight loss. I am sleeping better which is good. I haven't had any cravings this whole time, no crankiness either. I keep checking ingredient lists and going back to the book to make sure I am following the program correctly and I think I am spot on. I just do not know why I am not feeling much different, especially my energy levels. I do have sweet potato with ghee most mornings along with eggs and other veggies. Is it OK to eat potato and sweet potato a few times a day with meals? I'm eating meats and lots of other veggies with it. I also have a snack of an apple with almond butter most days. Not sure if I just have to wait a bit longer or what? Any ideas? Anyone else feeling this way?

1 hour ago, Julzology said:

Day #16

6:15 workout at Orange Theory Fitness.  I had an orange and some almond butter for my pre-workout which I know isn't enough protein and too much carb.  My post workout meal was a couple of forkfuls of leftover ropa vieja which is more compliant but I really need to plan ahead better than I have been.  I feel good, I feel like my tummy is ever so slightly smaller which is a good thing.  

Breakfast is two boiled eggs and half an avocado.  Should have brought some veg to go with that.  

I think my main challenge now is to make my meals more compliant in terms of balance.  I'm not eating off plan but breakfast especially isn't balanced well.  Lunch and dinner I usually do OK. 

Another evening out planned for Thursday.  My hubby has a gig in Brooklyn.  We plan to eat before hand.  

Great self-awareness, Julzology! Good luck finding the balance, you'll definitely benefit from giving yourself that gift.

1 hour ago, sunnytropic said:

Day 16, we're more than halfway there!

Anyone else worried reintroduction and life after already? I just started reading It Starts with Food and have Food Freedom Forever to read next.

I've been a yo-yo dieter my whole life, in 2008-2009 I lost 107 lbs and in the time since slowly gained back about 80 of it (losing up to 25 here or there before re-gaining).

I need to figure out what is going to work for me in the long run. I've felt really good pretty much these whole 16 days. I know I can't be this strict forever but I think finding the balance to be a little more flexible without going off the deep end afterwards will be a challenge.

I tend to be an all or nothing person, with the nothing being eating bags of chips and candy in secret and hiding it from my family. I know that's not healthy but I'm having a little pity party about not being able to do that anymore. In the moment it feels good but afterwards it doesn't obviously.

Oh, you're going to love Food Freedom Forever, it speaks to everything you mentioned. Let that book become your long-term friend, use it as a Bible, mark it up, read and re-read fave sections, get your highlighter and Post-it's out. Relax into the idea that this is a longer term, lifetime journey... and that it's ok. I wish you luck!

@sunnytropic I was thinking of how strict this is too and whether I'll ever NOT crave triscuits.  I'm still having cravings here and there.  Not for sugar at least.  But thinking, will I WANT to really give those up, if I'm craving them?  I guess that's what reintroduction will be for...

@Whole30Peach just reading your post and I have not been feeling drastic changes either.  But (just kind of posted above about it) I just realized today that there HAVE been a few, I just didn't notice them without a scale, mirrors etc.  Progress is really hard to measure when it's inside-out, I think.  

@Julzology I had to give up HB eggs and carrots on the fly for breakfast, it just wasn't enough.  I can relate to the breakfast challenge.  

PS I am really enjoying having this thread to follow and enjoy hearing everyone's thoughts and processes!  

Hi people, so, more than halfway now for those who started on january 2nd. I am puzzled and frustrated by my results so far. All the positive things about sleeping better, feeling happier, having boundless energy do NOT apply to me. In fact I sleep poorly these past couple of weeks, have less energy at the end of the day that I normally had and I am feeling mildly depressed for over a week now. I started eating Whole30-ish about 4 months ago while reading ISWF so I expected that being prepared and committed (I haen't gotten even clsoe to cheating) and not having any special medical conditions would make progress quick and kind of according to 'schedule'. I feel disappointed.The up side: I don't or hardly have cravings; making the descicion not to eat anytning off limits works for me and I will use that after finishing W30. I love the food I have been making and take time to enjoy the great flavors (my favorite breakfast is grated sweet potato with ground meat topped with almost amba: sooo delicious). My tummy feels nice and peacefull and that is definitely an improvement. By looking in the mirror I can see I've lost weight but that was not what I was after, in fact I shoulnd't lose much more before people start asking questions. 

Does anyone have the same issues and can we hang out together to pull through? Because no way I'm giving up!!

Thank you @vozelle & @Nira81

Jealous of everyone working out at Orangetheory, there are a couple locations within 30-45 min of me but neither are convenient for on my way to/from work. I may try it on the weekend sometime though.

I live in a "gym desert" - I really like classes and was really spoiled belonging to Equinox when I lived in Manhattan and then lower Westchester. It was $ but the classes were amazing. Such good instructors.

Where I live now all we have are Planet and Retro fitness which don't have classes. My friend teaches at a spin studio about 20 min away so I do try and go there at least once a week and then I'm lucky to have access to a gym at my townhouse complex and work.

I am with the folks on here who are saying they aren't experiencing anything drastic or major yet.  I am barely noticing any little NSV's as well.  It was around this time (mid way) of my first W30 that I started craving sweets that I never eat, and it is happening again, though with less of a desire.  I have been able to have tea or fruit or something to quell the craving.  

I am hoping a few of you can help me out.  Next week, I start a 6 week bootcamp at 6:00am at my gym.  I know I need to eat before and I am hoping for a few ideas for food for pre- workout that I can eat at 5:15am or so and is relatively on the go.  I have to take the bus to the gym.  I can handle the post workout breakfast, just need pre-work out things.  Years ago when I worked out early, I would grab a banana and an eggo and be just fine, but that won't really work this time around :-) 

2 hours ago, sunnytropic said:

Anyone else worried reintroduction and life after already? I just started reading It Starts with Food and have Food Freedom Forever to read next.

I've been a yo-yo dieter my whole life, in 2008-2009 I lost 107 lbs and in the time since slowly gained back about 80 of it (losing up to 25 here or there before re-gaining).

I need to figure out what is going to work for me in the long run. I've felt really good pretty much these whole 16 days. I know I can't be this strict forever but I think finding the balance to be a little more flexible without going off the deep end afterwards will be a challenge.

I tend to be an all or nothing person, with the nothing being eating bags of chips and candy in secret and hiding it from my family. I know that's not healthy but I'm having a little pity party about not being able to do that anymore. In the moment it feels good but afterwards it doesn't obviously.

I have been on a diet since I was 12 (I'm 56) so, me too, lifelong yo-yo dieter.  I'm really trying to adjust my attitude about this and maybe you can try that too.  

No one is denying you or me.  There's absolutely nothing stopping us from doing exactly what we used to do, eating bags of chips or candy in secret and then not telling anyone. The problem with that is the cycle of self hate.  Hiding from your family is an attempt to hide from yourself except that doesn't really work, does it?  I always know, even as I'm putting the junk food in my mouth, that this is not what I really want, this does not reflect my goals, this is not love.  It's a hard habit to break.  It's a hard mental cycle to break.  

I have to remind myself daily that this isn't something that's being done to me.  Whole30 didn't march up and throw handcuffs on me and demand I eat this way.  No, I did it.  I did it because I want to see what happens.  I want to see how I feel.  I want to see what I find out when I reintroduce each food group.  I want to prove to myself that I can do it.  I want to set an example for the people who started with me but already quit (my daughter and my boss).  Honestly, they're right when they say that this is not hard.  It's only hard if I tell myself that it is. 

Hang in there @sunnytropic you're past the halfway point.  There is so much good information on this site about life post Whole30 that you won't have any trouble finding your new groove.  

Thanks @Julzology that is a good way to look at it. I definitely need to change my attitude, like you say, I *know* it's not a healthy choice, it is just what's comfortable. I almost feel like I'm in mourning, crazy as that sounds.

I just mapped out my reintroduction schedule in a spreadsheet google doc (accountant much?). I am going to start with dairy, then non-gluten alcohol (for the Superbowl!), non-gluten grains, gluten grains, and legumes. That will take me through mid-February.

After I see how all that stuff makes me feel I'll go from there. It feels good to have more of a plan.

3 hours ago, sunnytropic said:

I feel like you, in that I'm worried about the reintroduction phase.  I am using W30 as a way to kick off the Winter Challenge at my CrossFit box, so I may actually turn this into a Whole90.  I am enjoying changes in my body, size obviously, I'm more even-keeled in general and I just don't crave anything.  I like how I feel eating this way and I see no good reason to add the bad stuff back in, yet. I'm sure when we vacation I'll want to partake in some decadent meals and maybe a random dessert, but I need to learn how to do that without falling back in to my old habits or negating months and months of hard work with a week of bad eating.

Ok ladies, so I'm a little late to the party so do forgive me..... I see some of you are concerned that you aren't feeling any changes - have you really stopped to think about some of the subtle changes that you might be experiencing? More steady energy throughout the day, more stable moods - a general 'happy' feeling maybe? How about stronger, faster growing hair and/or nails? Has your skin cleared up a little? Is it glowing? Is your step a little lighter? Is it easier to get out bed in the morning? Or even easier to fall asleep at night?

Bear in mind you're just now about half way through, and MANY people don't see or feel the magic until the final stages. COnsider how stress could be impacting your results and do what you can to alleviate any external stressors - are you over exercising? under sleeping? forward thinking to things over which you have no control? can you shar yoyur financial/emotional woes with a friend or family member? Have you tried meditating? Just 10mins a day can have a HUGE impact on your overall health... Are you spending time outdoors? Do you practice good sleep hygiene? Do you try to focus on getting in at least some healthy movement throughout the day - not necessarily high intensity exercise - movement is all it takes....

Anyone worried that they might be over/under-eating, or maybe not composing their meals effectively please feel free to start a new thread in the troubleshooting forum, or list a few days worth of meals here (be sure to tag myself or one of the other mods so that we are notified of the post) and we'll be happy to take a look.

Shooting from the hip, some things that can throw a spanner in the works - not composing meals as per the template, snacking, relying heavily on fruit, dried fruit, nuts & nut butters, not getting enough sleep, not including pre/post WO meals, not enough food in general, and specifically not eating enough fat.

If you've any questions at all, just shout - someone will be here to listen.

Hope this helps!

22 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Shooting from the hip, some things that can throw a spanner in the works - not composing meals as per the template, snacking, relying heavily on fruit, dried fruit, nuts & nut butters, not getting enough sleep, not including pre/post WO meals, not enough food in general, and specifically not eating enough fat.

This, I believe, is why I didn't feel the love last time.  Didn't compose my meals according to the template and eating way too much fruit and nuts.  I am not making those mistakes this time and I feel a lot better.  

@Karen Twin-Cities Good luck!  It seriously kicked my ass the first time and every time since but it pushes me in a good way.  I was happy this morning to see that the trainer for that session was my age (or possibly older) which was nice.  She helped me with my form and encouraged me along the way.  

@sunnytropic OMG me too with the spreadsheets, LOL 

Thanks @jmcbn for jumping in. Your feedback is really helpful to all of us - especially those of us on our first Whole30. I too did not notice any positive changes until yesterday (Day 15) when suddenly I got some afternoon energy. For the first 14 days I was Miss Cranky Pants (feeling very tired) and think I was not eating enough food. I have added more food and fat. I have not had any snacks (even compliant ones) when I was hungry. I try to load up my plate but seem to be hungry later - hungry as in yes I could eat broccoli now. I was hoping the energy would continue but today I am very tired again. I am working out the same as I did before W30. (@Karen Twin-cities at Orangetheory - LOVE LOVE LOVE It). I might take you up on that idea @jmcbn and put in another thread some of my daily meals. My skin is paler - does not look glowing. lol. My sleep is about the same - I wake up every few hours. It is possible that today I do feel a little happier. I started meditating yesterday and cleaned out my closet so I think that might help too. I started W30 to feel happier and help my body. I may just be one of the Day28 people lol. Thanks again for your comments!

6 hours ago, Karen Twin-Cities said:

This is my second W30 and from my experience with the first I didn't feel any different until about day 25. IMO if you were relatively healthy before your W30 the changes will be more subtle. 

Stick to it, if nothing else you will have had the self control and dedication to made it through a challenging 30 day lifestyle change and that will be a NSV!

That's the thing. My diet was awful! I would be embarrassed to tell you all the kind of junk I ate on a consistent basis. I have learned a lot and do plan to stick to similar eating habits after the 30 days. 

Hey all!

Day 16 is going well. Made some really great Chili and looking forward to eating the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Question for you all! I am trying to do the rest of W30 without LaraBars and nuts/dried fruit, only because I think I'm subconciously using them to satisfy cravings. Does anyone have any good on-the-go snack ideas to replace them?? LaraBars are a go-to for after workouts, and I often eat nuts during lunch. I feel like my diet is a bit on the light side without them, so I would really appreciate any recommendations! 

Keep up the good work, friends!

Striving to be Steadfast - maybe work on finding a better post workout food. supposed to be lean protein and starchy veg.  I made salmon sweet potato cakes   and froze them.  they are thawed by the time my workout is over.  It really helped me to  read a thread in "troubleshooting " about workout meals.  knowing there are people all over scarfing tuna out of pouches and cold sweet potato in locker rooms, cars, and their bedrooms.   I alos like keeping sweet potato warm in a small thermal container.  cold canned fish is fine with me but cold potato on it's own is a bit of a stretch.

Count me among those not finding great energy ( yet?)  I did not on my first whole30 either.  I think it is at least in part stress.

Any good ideas for learning meditation.  I really don't want to take the time but I need to do something.

I did make it through my exercise class with out a nap or Advil.  did have a little foot cramping but that is common for me

don't' know about NSV as I don't really watch my skin and I was sleeping fine before

Starting into dining out by getting food at the health food stores.  dry chicken and veg, good but cold potatoes at Whole foods.  They had a dish they said was just chicken, mushrooms, and nuts but I wasn't willing to chance the creamy sauce.  PCC seems to be on board paleo had coconut mashed sweet potatoes, no sugar and chunked cilantro sweet potatoes, and a beet salad. also green beans gremolata.  I did have to bring them home to reheat so hope that counts as eating out as some had sunflower oil.

Hi all, Hanging in there. I went grocery shopping sunday and got tons of veggies. Then I got sick and haven't felt up to cooking so I haven't been eating enough the last two days. Hopefully will perk up tomorrow and get back to cooking! I am loving that I don't have cravings and I have not really been tempted to break from program. That's a huge NSV for me. 

@StrivingToBeSteadfast I've been trying to be better about pre/post workout food too. It's just my husband and I so I usually have leftover protein in my fridge at all times and also usually have leftover potatoes or squash. I take a small tupperware with me and eat it in the car before driving home if I'm working out away from home.
Before workouts I have he same protein as after usually with a little spoon (1 - 1.5 tsp) of coconut oil straight from the jar. I personally enjoy that but know not everyone might. Aside from that for an afternoon snack (usually 7-8 hrs between M2 & M3 for me) I do a hard boiled egg dipped in mayo. That would also work for pre-WO.

@Oh the Irony yay for NSV's! I noticed some of my clothes, most specifically my winter jacket feeling looser in the past few days.

Thanks all for the support on my earlier post(s) today!

Thanks @jmcbn. I think my meal template is OK but the apple and almond butter probably needs to go. I received the book "It starts with Food" in the mail today and started picking through it and now I see that maybe it's too much even though I am definitely hungry when I eat it and not just craving. I'll add more food to my lunch plate, esp some more protein and see if I can avoid having a snack. If I need one I'll make healthier choices. Glad I finally jumped on the forum...Thanks again...

Ok, so for those of you struggling with pre & post WO meals...... if your WO is early morning, and skipping a preWO wold mean you not eating until more than an hr after wakening then we'd recommend you eat something. It need only be a few small bites - this is NOT to fuel your WO (although if you use fruit it WILL and you'll be preventing your body from learning to tap into it's fat stores), but rather more a signal that you're up, about to get active, and food is not scarce so go ahead & burn baby burn that fat.... A soft boiled egg can work, and many people will eat just the yolk, saving the white for postWO - great option.

For postWO you want a lean protein and an optional starchy carb. No fat. The protein is necessary for muscle protein synthesis - that's recovery & repair - and the carbs are for replacing spent muscle glycogen, so definitely necessary after an intense work out as muscle glycogen does not normalise on a daily basis. Fruit in this instance will replace LIVER glycogen, and the liver will utilise any other sugar it already has stored before it uses fructose. Fat will slow down absorption of the nutrients and prevent recovery. Ditch the fruit, nuts, and larabars & switch it up to some roasted chicken & sweet potato (both work well at room temp), or some egg whites & roasted potatoes. Again just a few bites will do...

Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, Anissa said:

today and the last couple days my hip has been hurting and my muscles are tight

Have you been working out & not stretching off? Not eating post WO meals?

Is it possible you've twisted something somehow?

I know when people do W30 they are so focused on it that they assume that every headache, ache or pain is a symptom of detox or whatever, but life outside of W30 still goes on so it's entirely possible it's not related to food.

5 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Ok, so for those of you struggling with pre & post WO meals...... if your WO is early morning, and skipping a preWO wold mean you not eating until more than an hr after wakening then we'd recommend you eat something. It need only be a few small bites - this is NOT to fuel your WO (although if you use fruit it WILL and you'll be preventing your body from learning to tap into it's fat stores), but rather more a signal that you're up, about to get active, and food is not scarce so go ahead & burn baby burn that fat.... A soft boiled egg can work, and many people will eat just the yolk, saving the white for postWO - great option.

For postWO you want a lean protein and an optional starchy carb. No fat. The protein is necessary for muscle protein synthesis - that's recovery & repair - and the carbs are for replacing spent muscle glycogen, so definitely necessary after an intense work out as muscle glycogen does not normalise on a daily basis. Fruit in this instance will replace LIVER glycogen, and the liver will utilise any other sugar it already has stored before it uses fructose. Fat will slow down absorption of the nutrients and prevent recovery. Ditch the fruit, nuts, and larabars & switch it up to some roasted chicken & sweet potato (both work well at room temp), or some egg whites & roasted potatoes. Again just a few bites will do...

Hope this helps.

thank you that is very, very helpful.  I have another morning workout on Friday.  I am going to plan, plan, plan ahead to have the right items on hand for pre and post workout.  

Archived