January 2nd start date

calibilly

Happy Day 19 everyone!! I really didn't think I would make it this far.

A few things I'm trying to troubleshoot:

-On-the-go snacks. Whether it be things I can prepare beforehand for when I'm at school longer than expected, or grab-n-go type snacks to keep stashed in my gym bag or vehicle.

-Looking for more lunch options?? Or breakfast options in general. I wonder if you can eat too much starch-- If so, that's what I'm probably doing. I feel like I'm constantly eating potatoes (which I love), but I'm just feeling stuck in the food department. Favorite meals that are super easy to prep beforehand, anyone? Favorite spices to put on roasted veggies?? More flavor is really what I'm lacking, I think.

-Not sure if I'm eating enough at meals. I feel like I'm snacking a lot, but I also don't know what else to add to my meals to make them more satisfying?

-I am TIRED. Maybe it's the new meds that I'm on, but I've really felt like I'm going to fall asleep for the past few days (Specifically during the morning/afternoon). Breakfasts are usually eggs/chicken-apple sausage, and occasionally a sweet potato hash. Don't think that's it?

Sorry for the rant! Any input you guys might have would be so, so, so appreciated! Thankful to be in this beside all of you :)

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stick with it @JenHZ!  I think it's seriously ok to feel that way and I had many days like that.  I hope it's a stage or that you can find some shortcuts.  Is a laundry service out of the question? (half joking). 

@Julzology Success with the alcohol avoidance is awesome.  I have had fewer and fewer pangs of jealousy towards those enjoying drinks.  NSV: last night club soda and lemon felt like a huge treat with dinner out, not like a penance.  Yay! 

Is anyone else itching to weigh or measure themselves? I'm a little embarrassed to admit how much I want to.  

@StrivingToBeSteadfast I've got those little "lunchblox" containers and I'm cooking extra veggies at dinner, then packing them during clean-up.  Add a hard boiled egg and voila, an easy snack for tomorrow.  

Cooking almost double of everything and using pre-cooked things for the next night's dinner has been really helping me in general. 

Just whipped some Paleo BBQ sauce up and dumped it over chicken in the crock pot.  We'll see how that comes out but it was pretty easy.  @sunnytropic let's hope it's not a new recipe fail, so frustrating.  

@sunnytropic Thanks for the suggestion of adding more fat to breakfast. I did so this morning and that was helpful.

@JenHZ Thanks for the comment about my gym progress. Hope your mood is better.  @Anissa Happy birthday and hope the rash is better. I go to Orangetheory (gym) 4 to 5 times a week. I am thinking of adding some straight strength training a couple of times a week.

I am still tired here on day 19 but I am still all-in-whole-30. I have heard of many who didn't feel the tiger blood for a while. The NSV I am experiencing is sleeping deeper. As before, I still wake up every 2-3 hours but it is from a much deeper sleep. (Yet still tired during the day.)

I am wondering about reintroduction .... at some point I want to try-back-in my Vega protein shakes (in addition to the whole-30-lot-of-eggs-and-meat meals I am currently eating) but it has pea-protein and *gasp* stevia ??? 

Have a good day guys!

@CaseyLee I didn't break into tears today so so far so good.

never seem to have enough veggies prepped. everything I cook leaves no more than 1 extra serving.

@Nira81 I used to have a cleaning lady but she is having housing troubles.  I should just be glad my family is not experiencing that.

@StrivingToBeSteadfast   ( why didn't' that one work?) tuna or salmon pouches. a fat source might be a leak proof bottle of olive oil? fruit if you can remember not to let it rot. carrot sticks or any sturdy cut up raw veggie.  Turnip, rutabaga, and jicama are tasty and crunchy.  can you carry a small cooler bag? do you have one of those little thermoses?  I find  a hot cup of broth really perks up a cold meal.    

Thanks so much for your thoughts @JenHZ!!

Friends! Huge NSV today!! I was super tired and (really) feeling like giving up. Went to the gym anyways- felt better, but even after a shower & P.W. food I still was dying for sweets/just wanted to give up. Paced a ton, and tried to get it off my mind. Meanwhile, I scrolled through pinterest to find a recipie for tomorrow (have to make some baked goods for a bake auction... planning on not even tasting it!), which just made it worse. I was pretty much moaping for awhile, then I decided: Look. If you don't get up & meal prep or cook something good to eat, you're going to continue to live like this forever. Lusting for future comfort & wanting something, but not having it due to sheer laziness.

So I made a groccery list, went to the groccery store, came home & made an amazing *for real** sweet potato breakfast casserole (if you guys want to check it out, it's totally worth it & prob. a week's worth of breakfasts-- http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-breakfast-casserole-whole30/) and ate some of that when it was done (already had dinner, but literally couldnt resist it looked so good. Something I havent really experienced with my meals thus far).

Tomorrow more prep... and baking. Wish me luck & willpower!! Grateful for you all- it's one of the highlights of my day to read your progress!

17 hours ago, Julzology said:

I still don't sleep through the night.  Last night was a late one, didn't go to bed until midnight.  Woke up at 3:00 and then again at 4:48 then again when my alarm went off at 6:00 but I didn't actually get out of bed until 6:45.  I would love to figure out why I'm not sleeping through the night but maybe this is my normal? 

How is your bed time routine? Do you keep regular bed times & wake up times? Pracitice good sleep hygiene? No screen time for an hr or so before bed? BLack out blinds & no blue lights in your room (digital alarm clock etc)? Spend regular time out doors? Dim the lights after sun down? Keep your bedroom temp slightly cooler than elsewhere in the house? Take a magnesium supplement? Meditate? Eat within an hour of wakening?

14 hours ago, StrivingToBeSteadfast said:

-Not sure if I'm eating enough at meals. I feel like I'm snacking a lot, but I also don't know what else to add to my meals to make them more satisfying?

-I am TIRED. Maybe it's the new meds that I'm on, but I've really felt like I'm going to fall asleep for the past few days (Specifically during the morning/afternoon). Breakfasts are usually eggs/chicken-apple sausage, and occasionally a sweet potato hash. Don't think that's it?

Sounds to me like you're not getting enough fat. That would also contribute to the sugar cravings you talked about in your next post. Fat will provide satiety and energy and is also required for brain health. Fat is also pleasureable (it provides all the flavour after all!) so by adding more to meals you'll still get create a similar kind of dopamine hit effect that you;d get from something sweet which is why it helps keep those cravings at bay.

3 hours ago, jmcbn said:

How is your bed time routine? Do you keep regular bed times & wake up times? Pracitice good sleep hygiene? No screen time for an hr or so before bed? BLack out blinds & no blue lights in your room (digital alarm clock etc)? Spend regular time out doors? Dim the lights after sun down? Keep your bedroom temp slightly cooler than elsewhere in the house? Take a magnesium supplement? Meditate? Eat within an hour of wakening?

1.  Regular bed times and wake up times - Yes

2. No screen time before bed - No, but I have a bluelight filter on my kindle.  I usually read myself to sleep with my kindle.  I suppose I could read an actual book :-)

3.  I can see the alarm clock across the room but otherwise the room is very dark. Maybe I should cover up the alarm clock, we don't really use it.  I use the alarm on my phone. 

4.  Spending regular time out doors - No, not really.  It's cold so I haven't been walking/running outdoors lately.  My outdoor time is limited to getting to and from my car. 

5.  bedroom Temp - Don't get me started.  I'd prefer the bedroom be around 65, my husband complains that he's freezing to death.  I'm always hot at night. 

6.  Magnesium - yes, been taking Natural Calm at bedtime for a couple of years now. 

7.  Meditate - yes, usually in the morning.  Maybe I should add a night time meditation

8.  Eat within an hour of waking - No, not usually.  I can improve there.  

OK, looks like I have some sleep related homework.  W30 style I'm going to take this list and adjust one thing at a time to see what makes a difference (kind of like re-introduction).  I think the first thing is screen time.  I've been wondering about that.  I think I can easily switch to a book for a while.  I may re-read an old favorite.  If I can get some reasonable weather I'd really like to start walking again.  

So, I see others are feeling tired at times too. I still feel sleepy in the mornings when I wake but it seems to take much less time to perk up and then I'm good to go for the day. I feel more alert and revved. Until late afternoon which is common. I still get tired. I'm trying to eat more and more fat and veggies-like yesterday's lunch was leftover stuffed pepper with turkey, large salad with half an avacado-to give me energy. I'm also really lacking energy in my workouts. My runs are a good min slower than they were prew30. That's such a bummer. I don't have the energy to push myself faster. I ate before workout and immediately after. Yesterday was an egg with pepper and spinach. Turkey right after but I had no good carb veggie ready (more prep requirements).

Sleeping well at night and though I do wake, I go right back to sleep. Deep/light sleep ratio is good. 

I went out with a friend last night for dinner. I did well! She ordered a martini and I had club Soda with a twist and was fine with it I had to pass all the great food options and desserts but I had a bowl of squash soup with mushrooms (vegan just squash and herbs) and cedarplank salmon with roasted veggies that was awesome. Nothing not allowed on it. Yay nsv!  And yes, I too want to weigh and measure. I haven't but I want to see the difference. Just waiting till the end. Keep on keeping on!

4 hours ago, Julzology said:

2. No screen time before bed - No, but I have a bluelight filter on my kindle.  I usually read myself to sleep with my kindle.  I suppose I could read an actual book :-)

3.  I can see the alarm clock across the room but otherwise the room is very dark. Maybe I should cover up the alarm clock, we don't really use it.  I use the alarm on my phone. 

4.  Spending regular time out doors - No, not really.  It's cold so I haven't been walking/running outdoors lately.  My outdoor time is limited to getting to and from my car. 

8.  Eat within an hour of waking - No, not usually.  I can improve there.  

OK, looks like I have some sleep related homework.  W30 style I'm going to take this list and adjust one thing at a time to see what makes a difference (kind of like re-introduction).  I think the first thing is screen time.  I've been wondering about that.  I think I can easily switch to a book for a while.  I may re-read an old favorite.  If I can get some reasonable weather I'd really like to start walking again.  

These ones specifically should really help with sleep quality.

The blue light filter is a great start, but the alarm clock omits blue light too so it kind of defeats the purpose of the filter... This along with nos 4 & 8 will really help with the regulation of the hormones melatonin, cortisol & vitamin D. Try spending at least 15mins outdoors, first thing if possible, otherwise around the same time each day - more if it's cloudy.

On 1/19/2017 at 2:32 PM, CaseyLee said:

@jmcbn you kindly offered to let us post some meals and you'd give feedback. (BLESS YOU!)

Day 17 Yesterday: (tired/cranky but with a bit more energy)

5:30am Pre WO: hard boiled egg

7:00 am Post WO: Jerky few pieces (BILTONG -whole30compliant) and 1 handful of nuts (After which I read no nuts for post WO) lol

7:20am Breakfast: 2/3 cup turkey chili with veggies in it...1/3 cucumber...1/2 banana...1/2 large sweet potato

10am Was really hungry so had an RX bar..my stomach feels like is gnawing itself and feels better when food is in it.

11am Lunch: salad with 2 hardboiled eggs (handful of spinach, cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, few olives and a few pumpkin seeds - and 1 serving of Trader Joes Quacamole (like wholly guacamole) - 1/2 large apple) plus 1/2 cup beef chili with veggies in it

5pm Dinner: turkey burger (plain), green beans, similar salad to lunch with the guacamole and 1/2 apple. 30 minutes later still hungry so another RX bar. 

DAY 18 TODAY:

5:30am Pre WO: hard boiled egg

7:00 am Post WO: Jerky few pieces (BILTONG -whole30compliant) and few bites of sweet potato

7:20am Breakfast: 2/3 cup turkey chili with veggies in it...1/3 cucumber...1/2 banana...1/2 large sweet potato

11am Lunch: salad with 2 hardboiled eggs (handful of spinach, cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, few olives and a few pumpkin seeds - and 1 serving of Trader Joe's Quacamole (like wholly guacamole) - 1/2 large apple) plus 1 cup beef chili with veggies in it.

It is 2:35 and I feel hungry. I used to have almost triple the protein I have now via pea-protein shakes. I wonder if that is why I am so hungry all the time. Can I drink bone broth maybe when I am hungry like this? 

I started getting some energy today but still not feeling 100% myself. THAT SAID...I pulled 25% more wattage on the rowing machine than I ever have. A new personal record for me. And someone at the gym complimented me asking if I'd lost weight saying I looked very fit! :) Now I just want to feel less cranky. But as has been said here - it is not all about food. Lot of stress at home.

Thanks so much and congrats to all my fellow W30ers!

@jmcbn - any thoughts for me or do you need more meals? Thanks!! (PS If you responded - sorry I missed it!)

4 minutes ago, CaseyLee said:

@jmcbn - any thoughts for me or do you need more meals? Thanks!! (PS If you responded - sorry I missed it!)

Sorry - TOTALLY missed your original post!

Ok, your meals don't look too bad, although you are completely missing fat at breakfast. Fat provides satiety & energy. We need it for brain health, and for transporting fat soluble vitamins around the body. Don't skimp on it - except for postWO which I see you've now picked up on.

The meal template is a range - 1-2 palm sized pieces - so if you feel you need more protein then please eat more protein. It will also provide satiety as it takes the body longer to process, and will also help with recovery of you are particularly active. Try x2 turkey burgers (they're very lean), x3 eggs in your salad, at least a full cup of chilli etc. Tweak your meals until you can comfortably stretch it out those 4-5hrs.

Is the 2/3 cup of turkey chill (or 1/2 cup of beef chilli) including the veg? If it is I would be FAMISHED...!!

Is this your usual schedule?

3 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Sorry - TOTALLY missed your original post!

Ok, your meals don't look too bad, although you are completely missing fat at breakfast. Fat provides satiety & energy. We need it for brain health, and for transporting fat soluble vitamins around the body. Don't skimp on it - except for postWO which I see you've now picked up on.

The meal template is a range - 1-2 palm sized pieces - so if you feel you need more protein then please eat more protein. It will also provide satiety as it takes the body longer to process, and will also help with recovery of you are particularly active. Try x2 turkey burgers (they're very lean), x3 eggs in your salad, at least a full cup of chilli etc. Tweak your meals until you can comfortably stretch it out those 4-5hrs.

Is the 2/3 cup of turkey chill (or 1/2 cup of beef chilli) including the veg? If it is I would be FAMISHED...!!

Is this your usual schedule?

Perfect! yes this is my usual schedule but the overall thing I got from your post is that I need to eat MORE. That makes sense. The first 5 days on W30 I ate the correct amount of fat - and was still hungry - probably because not enough protein. I then also doubled the amount of fat and scared myself I think during that 'my pants are tighter' phase. Then I cut back on the fat and got too hungry. I have added more fat now (and more protein today - 1.5 cups of chili (veggies in it) AND a salad with an egg and 1/2 a pear.  Very full. I will make double turkey burgers next time. As I understand it, the idea is to eat enough (per the template) so as not to snack, right? Only snacks I have had are RX bars ... or at times I have had one at the end of a meal - 15 min later - if I was still hungry.

Thanks sooooo much @jmcbn! xoxoxo

4 minutes ago, CaseyLee said:

As I understand it, the idea is to eat enough (per the template) so as not to snack, right?

Exactly this.

And fruit only if there's room once you've eaten as per the template - so don't hold back on those essentials to make room for a banana as many people do. There is nothing you'll get nutritionally from fruit (other than fructose which you can live without) that you won't get in more volume from vegetables.

And you're welcome!

I'm over the moon, it's Day 20 and I feel amazing!  Pretty sure my tiger blood kicked in yesterday, a smile was permanently planted on my face, so much so that people at work were asking me why in the world I was so happy!  :D

I finally corrected my pre-workout/post workout meal issues and suffered a couple headaches for it, but I know in the long run it's going to help me progress with Whole30 and in the gym.  I was eating a half banana beforehand BEFORE I read that's exactly what not to eat pre-workout.  I'm making sure I always have hard-boiled eggs on hand, I eat an egg yolk a half hour before the gym and I eat the white after I get home, typically 15 mins after my workout.  I work out at 5:30 in the morning, so it's often hard for me to get anything down, so it's definitely been a work in progress.  

I've experienced a few NSVs lately.  

• I can zip my boots up all way (thick calved girl here)
  • I don't crave anything
  • My face is clearing up and appears more vibrant
  • My hair is shiny
  • My nails are growing and even thicker
  • I put on a pair of Seven brand jeans my friend gave me 5 years ago that I've never been able to button up and I wore them to work yesterday!

@MarcellaC that's a great list of NSV's! I noticed my skin looking clearer this morning.

Making the cherry chipotle chicken thighs from the Whole30 cookbook for dinner tonight. Definitely a weekend meal because you have to make the sauce then marinate the chicken in a little bit of it for 1-4 hours but I tasted the sauce as  I was cooking it and OMG, amazing. Going to serve it with green beans and a salad.

Not beating myself up but yesterday was such a fail.  While I stayed compliant I didn't really eat meals, until an unsatisfying dinner followed by a snack later.  Like I had a little self-sabotage going on and didn't really want to take care of myself.  Weird.  Can anyone relate at all?? 

1 hour ago, Nira81 said:

Not beating myself up but yesterday was such a fail.  While I stayed compliant I didn't really eat meals, until an unsatisfying dinner followed by a snack later.  Like I had a little self-sabotage going on and didn't really want to take care of myself.  Weird.  Can anyone relate at all?? 

What were the circumstances that contributed to the choices you made yesterday, and what's your strategy for handling a day when similar circumstances arise again?

Morning everyone! Can't believe we are 2/3 of the way through!

One of the things that's been hard for me is eating within an hour of waking. I've been trying to focus on it this past week and have been doing a better job, it's actually easier for me if I work out first because then I'll just have a few bites of leftovers that fit the pre/post WO template and not need to worry about cooking up a bigger meal until I'm done. I was so close today to being able to fit my main M1 in within the hour but just as I was about to get up to prepare it my cat hopped up onto my lap, can't say no to that little guy :) So it was more like 1.5 hours today.

2 hours ago, Nira81 said:

Yes I can relate- last week it was so hectic and I was not prepared as I was so focused on my daughters birthday party I forgot about me and had to put together a lush avocado salad- you can see my journey on Instagram at ladykjean_lo

17 hours ago, sunnytropic said:

Making the cherry chipotle chicken thighs from the Whole30 cookbook for dinner tonight. Definitely a weekend meal because you have to make the sauce then marinate the chicken in a little bit of it for 1-4 hours but I tasted the sauce as  I was cooking it and OMG, amazing. Going to serve it with green beans and a salad.

@sunnytropic It sounds wonderful! I am making it this week - good tip about the timing of the marinade/sauce - I missed that!

42 minutes ago, sunnytropic said:

I was so close today to being able to fit my main M1 in within the hour but just as I was about to get up to prepare it my cat hopped up onto my lap, can't say no to that little guy :) So it was more like 1.5 hours today.

I get it! Cats RULE! 

Oh, you guys are doing so great! I love peeking in here and seeing how you're all supporting each other. Gives me hope for the world! Good luck with your final 1/3 of the program, and start planning your re-introduction phase now (TRUST ME).

I've jumped over to a 1/16 start date thread, since I had to restart after my food sensitivity medical test on 1/14. Good luck to you all!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!! You ARE doing it!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, vozelle said:

Oh, you guys are doing so great! I love peeking in here and seeing how you're all supporting each other. Gives me hope for the world! Good luck with your final 1/3 of the program, and start planning your re-introduction phase now (TRUST ME).

I've jumped over to a 1/16 start date thread, since I had to restart after my food sensitivity medical test on 1/14. Good luck to you all!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!! You ARE doing it!!!!!!

Good luck to you @vozelle

Archived