calibilly

January 2nd start date

Recommended Posts

I am starting 1/2 also! I have been trying to pick and commit to a date for a Whole 30 for about a year... no more putting it off, and I am very excited! Meal planning is difficult for me to stick with multiple weeks in a row, so I'm doing my best to prep this week and do as much ahead of time as I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello lovely people - I also am starting on January 2nd.

I did Whole30 in May of 2015 and had a good experience. Many of the Whole30 habits did stick but since starting grad school finding time to cook became harder. Also, as soon as I finished I went on a trip to Florida and ate mostly whatever I wanted. This time, I plan to take the reintroduction phase seriously and slowly. 

It's been a really long time since I've felt out of control with food. But there's been some days in December where I've been eating like I'm on death row. Getting away from these choices is what I want most out of my Whole30 experience this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be doing my third Whole30 with you!  I've managed to wrangle my husband into this one with me.  Doing this one more seriously than the other two, with an intent to potentially stay on for 60, 90, or 120 days...I've found I feel NORMAL after each attempt, and I haven't felt that way with any other lifestyle modification since my last child almost 4 years ago.  Normal = better sleep, better concentration, better mood, and I'm not constantly thinking about food all the time.  Can't wait, although I know the first two weeks are always hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

I've done two whole30's (one was a whole44) in the past and felt GREAT after. I kept it up then bad decisions kept creeping back. The last whole30 I completed was in July 2015. I started a new job early this year which has been stressful but I am not going to let that keep me away from good food decisions anymore!!!  I am taking back my health and my life.  I am pledging to start January 2nd.  I'm scared but also excited. 

I am going to shop for whole30 foods prior to the 2nd and start my prepping before I have any excuse to bail. 

I wish everyone the best in this journey - it's not easy but it will be worth it.  Now, I need to just STICK TO IT!

Jessica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2016 at 6:58 AM, ctabz58 said:

I am starting on the second, sounds like I will have lots of folks in the same situation. I feel a bit better knowing I am not alone. Also, sound like some of you are a bit intimidated like myself. I am looking forward to the challenge. My biggest worry is black coffee. I love my non-dairy creamer but its got sugar,  so black it is... yikes. I can do this, I have three grown daughters, now that was hard. See you at the end.

 

Dream big dreams, they never have expiration dates...

Ahh, yes, changing to black coffee will be hard for me too.  I usually use "natural bliss", and I have been cutting back each day.  Today there is not much in it, but I need to go ahead and cut it completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

I've decided to start Whole30 on January 2, 2017.  Very excited and nervous at the same time.  I'm diabetic and love to eat the things that are not good for me!  So, I have decided to make 2017 the year for me to make some lifestyle changes and get healthy.  I don't have the best support system, so I will look to this forum for guidance and support.  Good luck to everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tonge51 said:

Hello,

I've decided to start Whole30 on January 2, 2017.  Very excited and nervous at the same time.  I'm diabetic and love to eat the things that are not good for me!  So, I have decided to make 2017 the year for me to make some lifestyle changes and get healthy.  I don't have the best support system, so I will look to this forum for guidance and support.  Good luck to everyone!

Best of luck with your new adventure! There is definitely a huge support system in this community. I'm in the same boat with big expectations for 2017 and a small support system. We can do this!! It is worth it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 24, 2016 at 7:58 AM, ctabz58 said:

I am starting on the second, sounds like I will have lots of folks in the same situation. I feel a bit better knowing I am not alone. Also, sound like some of you are a bit intimidated like myself. I am looking forward to the challenge. My biggest worry is black coffee. I love my non-dairy creamer but its got sugar,  so black it is... yikes. I can do this, I have three grown daughters, now that was hard. See you at the end.

 

Dream big dreams, they never have expiration dates...

The change in how I drank coffee was a big one for me when I did my first Whole30 in July.  BUT... I now drink coffee with coconut milk all the time.  Those artificial creamers which used to be a staple in my house now taste too sweet and all I can think about is how they're made of fake junk. 

You'll get there... you'll have support with many of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2016 at 2:13 AM, oldcrone said:

Starting January 2, but pretty worried about it.  The last time I tried to cut sugar, I got pretty sick.  I also live in a very stressful household with people who love to bake and keep all kind of junk food in the refrigerator and cabinets.  Stress eating has become a way of life, so the next week will be huge for planning, journaling, and getting more real food in the house.  

I too was worried when I did my first round.  I was worried that if I "failed" at this, there was no hope left.  I was so sick of dieting and diet programs.  The first few days, I was so tired all the time from taking sugar completely out of my diet.  I would wear out during a meal.  I would have to go lie down on the couch and rest then 10 minutes later, get up and come back to the table and finish the meal.  Sugar had such a powerfully strong hold on me.  After a week or so, that passed and I did fine.  How scary is it that sugar can have such a powerful hold on us!!!  I will not let myself get there again.  I lost my taste for sweets although if I feel a real need (like pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving) I made it the same decadent was I always have and ate a very thin slice and gave the rest away.  Planning, planning, planning.  It cannot be stressed enough.  You will do this if you set your mind to it and reach out.  Let's take this journey together!!  Hang in there and looking forward to it!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jessicalauren said:

Hi everyone,

I've done two whole30's (one was a whole44) in the past and felt GREAT after. I kept it up then bad decisions kept creeping back. The last whole30 I completed was in July 2015. I started a new job early this year which has been stressful but I am not going to let that keep me away from good food decisions anymore!!!  I am taking back my health and my life.  I am pledging to start January 2nd.  I'm scared but also excited. 

I am going to shop for whole30 foods prior to the 2nd and start my prepping before I have any excuse to bail. 

I wish everyone the best in this journey - it's not easy but it will be worth it.  Now, I need to just STICK TO IT!

Jessica

I can definitely relate to this. I had a great Whole30 experience and then grad school knocked me off course.

This time I'm going to try to do a more deliberate reintroduction of foods and try to figure out strategies to help me long term.

I think I worry less about the actual Whole30 experience because I like the short term black and white rules. It's what comes after that's hard for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be starting Whole30 with you all on Jan. 2. I've done it twice and felt good but need to be consistent. I'm hoping with this forum it will help all of us stay on a healthy choice lifestyle. Good luck everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all! I'm a newbie to this forum. I've "attempted" a Whole30 for a year! Yes, i said a year! I kept failing due to sugar cravings but everyday I'd "start over"! I called it my "Groundhog Day" :) 

In the last 3 months I have totally eaten whatever I wanted and I'm paying for it via weight gain, rashes, and other allergic symptoms from eating bad again. My goal is to do this thing right. Day 1 to Day 30!! and due to health issues, hopefully make permanent changes for the rest of my life! Here's to all of us!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arkangelsmom said:

Hi all! I'm a newbie to this forum. I've "attempted" a Whole30 for a year! Yes, i said a year! I kept failing due to sugar cravings but everyday I'd "start over"! I called it my "Groundhog Day" :) 

In the last 3 months I have totally eaten whatever I wanted and I'm paying for it via weight gain, rashes, and other allergic symptoms from eating bad again. My goal is to do this thing right. Day 1 to Day 30!! and due to health issues, hopefully make permanent changes for the rest of my life! Here's to all of us!!

The best way to combat those cravings is to make sure that you're eating enough. Many people are surprised by how much food they need to eat on whole30, especially if their focus in the past has been on restricting calories or fat grams or carbs. Follow the meal template, don't skimp on the fat, don't be afraid to eat enough. Be sure you drink plenty of water.

If you do have a craving and you can't distract yourself and get past it, instead of reaching for something sweet, have some fat. Olives, avocado/guacamole, a spoonful of coconut oil -- these will do more to keep you satisfied than sweets will, and you'll retrain yourself not to have sweets every time you're a bit hungry or craving something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I'm starting January 2nd too!  I have also read It Starts with Food just bought the new Whole30 Cookbook!  I plan to keep it fairly simple during the work week, basic meat/fish, veg and fats with a little fruit thrown in and then try out some new recipes on the weekends. I love to cook so this will be my favourite part!  I've had an on-again-off-again relationship with Paleo for about 2 years now and I know I feel much better when I stick to it.  This will be my first time actually following the Whole30 though (ie no Paleo treats) and I'm looking to use it as a reset button for my health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi :) I'm Mike.  This will be my 2nd Whole30.  First was Feb '15.  Lost 30+ pounds and learned a lot.

I went to old habits as time went by and gained back 20 or so pounds.  Biggest culprit is convenience and bored with the recipes I learned.

Bought the Whole30 cookbook but didn't read it!  Looking forward to picking up new skills and recipes, and friends :)

I'm 47, married  with 3 young kids.

Good luck everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting my W30R3 on 1/2 as well! I am excited but as always am also nervous. I feel like my first Whole30 I was really intentional and I followed the spirit of the Whole30 better than I did during my second one. I think during my second one I was substituting 'compliant' things to feed my Sugar Dragon...ex: I would come home from work and eat a bunch of baby carrots dipped in organic Sunbutter...not the answer! ;) I'm hoping to be more intentional in my meal planning this time around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now