January 2nd start date

calibilly

This 2nd Whole 30 is much easier than my first (May '16). Going to the grocery store is easy now. I skip the inner aisles most of the time, focusing on produce and meats. I have a couple of go-to recipes that I try to always have the ingredients for on hand. Melissa's Chicken Hash is great. I usually make it with Applegate Organic sausage (chicken and apple). The other day I grated 4 sweet potatoes in my food processor, so I have the most time-consuming part of that recipe done.

I just listened to an interview with Gary Taubes, who wrote The Case Against Sugar. He compares it to cigarettes. It sure is addicting. Once I'm off it I feel so much better. But it tastes so good! But it makes me feel lousy. . . . .

When my husband and I started this one we only planned to do a 21-day reset. He really misses bread and beer. I know that gluten messes me up, and had started experimenting with organic Einkorn flour. That is the only wheat I will even try to reintroduce, but I think I'll keep going for now. I made it this far, and feel good. What's one more week?

My biggest challenge is sugar, and I am really afraid I will not be able to moderate my consumption.  I'm thinking of making a rule that I'll live by for at least the first month post Whole30, which will be: I allow myself one small square of dark chocolate each day, and one dessert per week.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yikes @Oh the Irony sorry you are dealing with that vertigo issue- it sounds scary!

Just had a health fair at work and got all my #'s checked. I told the person at the height/scale/body comp station not to tell me my weight and then also had to tell the person at the end who goes over all your results for you the same thing. It wasn't that hard and everyone was understanding! I will go for a physical with my Dr in a couple months, interested to see how/if the blood work and blood pressure numbers change. As it was today everything was in the "normal" range, albeit the high end.

On 1/23/2017 at 5:47 AM, StrivingToBeSteadfast said:

... I dont know if I just need a day off, but I really don't see myself being successful at this, and a different way of life just seems so far off.

Any thoughts/strategies/encouragement would be extremely appreciated. I know this isn't very encouraging for those of you currently on W30; I really apologize. I want you to know that I am proud of you and am so grateful you are still by my side...

Try this amazing, fun and inexpensive ($10-25) online class for a great "I CAN DO IT" boost: https://www.dailyom.com/cgi-bin/courses/courseoverview.cgi?cid=721  Sounds like you're dealing with a combo of emotional, mental, and biological factors… I urge you to seek whatever support fits best for you, and never give up on yourself!!  Sending love and support your way, sister! 

Hi Everyone, 

Just thought I would chime in for all those folks bummed at cheating. I haven't posted on this thread before. 

From 2013-2015 I did a lot of whole 30s and whole 20s and whole 14s. I generally ate "whole30" during the week and allowed myself some indulgences on the weekends. I gave up Diet Coke (which I fully believe was an addiction) cold turkey. I went from a size 20 to a size 14. I did this by binge watching a ton of food documentaries which got me in the right mindset. I loved how I was looking. I went from a lot of pain to much less. It was great. I thought I could do it forever.

And... I screwed it up starting at the second half of 2015. I got a new job downtown and I did not have plans in place for a job where I couldn't go out and shop at the grocery store at lunch, or park close to work to bring in a grocery bag. Eating off of whole30-style at lunch regularly, led to pizza at dinner and the rest is history.

I have allowed myself over the last year and a half to balloon back up to a size 18. I have lots of pains again. But, doing this January whole30 was pretty easy. My husband who has never completed a whole30 without cheating and falling off the wagon can count on one hand how many cheats he has done this month - this is huge. Yesterday he left extra pizza in the house without eating it and I was shocked. Still in all the failed experiments he had done before he did learn that he had a huge problem with corn products, which changed his life. All those years we had been married, he was always in the bathroom for 30 min at a time. Eliminating corn has given him back a lot of his time. If you do a whole30 its likely you will figure out one of these type of major epiphanies without the months of having to do tests over and over again like he did. 

Messing up on your whole30 is a bummer because we all want to ace the "test", but just pick yourself up and try again. Nourishing your body and making good decisions is going to be a lifelong daily effort in a world that is trying to push us constantly the wrong way. If you do ten whole20s, you are going to be feeling so good. So just do what you did this month again! 

@stormyday my husband and I did whole30 plus wine for about three weeks, we tried whole30 weekdays. It is a very good general guideline for eating and I was always surprised at how often we'd cook whole30 without even trying.  

But I think it's important for me to follow the Whole30 rules one time just to get to that life changing stuff they're talking about.  I'm a little bummed that I can't enjoy my last week of W30 as much as I would because I've got a miserable head cold but I am determined to kick this virus in short order.  I have a big day tomorrow, work followed by back to back meetings.  The first meeting they're serving "a light dinner".  I'm going to call the secretary and find out who is catering.  I'll probably have to bring my own.  Then I just realized that there's another town meeting (I'm the President of the local Arts Council so I have to attend these things) on Sunday that involves dinner from the local Italian place.  I'm going to have to plan ahead for that because ain't no f-ing way I'm bailing on day #28...that's way to close to the finish line to not finish the project.  I'm really looking forward to reintroduction.  My husband is planning to make lentil soup for my first reintroduction day and I'm thinking I might try to find some peanuts or hummus.  But that's a week away.  Gotta kick this damn cold first and start feeling the Tiger Blood again. 

I have to say within the last couple of days, I'm starting to see some changes. My clothes are fitting better! I'm still waking up during the night, but only twice, and in between those times I'm sleeping hard. I also think my daytime fatigue is less. Still tired, but I can push through. From reading the Ladies Only board, I know that it was Whole30 that through my body into the situation I did not welcome and I've had charlie horses the last couple of nights, which I have only experienced during pregnancy. Hormones are adjusting I guess! I hope my body adjusts quickly. 

I'm nervous about re-introduction. I've got a dinner to go to on Feb. 3rd. I'm hoping they don't want something specific like Italian or Mexican. I think those places would be hard to find compliant foods. I hesitate to suggest a place because we are being treated. Then, at the tail end, on the day I am going on a retreat and meals are being provided. I'm in the dilemma of packing 4 days worth of food or just trying to make the best choices I can and not stress, bringing some food so that I'm not hungry if I can't eat enough to be full with what's provided. It begins the day I introduce gluten, the last thing. I'll worry about that later, though. 

@Whole30Peach I just got invited to a last minute lunch at an Italian place and the only other time I've eaten food I haven't prepared myself on this journey was also from an Italian place. I've actually found it to be pretty easy to find something to eat- salad, hold the cheese, oil/vinegar on the side, plus grilled chicken (just check how they season it)...I AM NOT a "salad" person but was surprised the first time how much I enjoyed my meal so maybe my tastes are changing? Planning to employ the same strategy today, there is a shaved brussel sprout/cauliflower salad on the menu that is calling my name!

I'm still finding loads of energy on Day 24!  I am waking around 10 minutes before my alarm is set to go off for the gym every weekday morning, which is a tad annoying since I get up at 4:45 as it is.  This is new for me, I am notorious for sleeping through my alarm and am used to having lots of problems falling asleep at night.  Although I didn't "feel" tired I still fell asleep without issue and according to my fitbit I am getting more hours in where I'm not moving at all while I'm sleeping.  There have been nights that I've tossed and turned so many times and been up and down that I'm exhausted when I get out of bed, I truly hope that's a thing of the past for me.

My coworkers have actually been extremely accommodating during this journey.  They no longer parade donuts around my cubicle or snicker as they ask me what weird food I'm having for lunch.  I think they know I mean business and have an objective to change my lifestyle and relationship with food in general.  Over the past few years I have done what some of them think are outlandish, like cutting out red meat and pork (haven't eaten it since 2014), stopped drinking soda (I can count on one hand the sodas I've drank since 2013), my husband and I tried vegan.  My coworkers used to really hassle me about these things, but they've watched me change both mentally and physically over the past year as I have been slowly becoming the best me I can be.  I know that totally sounds corny and obnoxious, but all we can do is be the best version of ourselves and every day at the gym our coaches help instill that mentality.  I'm there to beat myself, get better, stronger, faster and to be honest, it's helped boost my confidence and I'm more outgoing.

Changing my relationship with food is the last step.  I have my ducks in a row when it comes to exercise, but before I started W30 I was eating things that weren't doing me any favors.  I didn't know I didn't need  pre-workout drinks or post workout proteins shakes.  I also didn't think I could make it through a whole day without snacking, yet for 23 days I have done it.  Whole30 is a game changer for me, I can tell when I look in the mirror that I'm smaller, and it helps to confirm that when my friends, gym buddies and coworkers point it out, not so much the comments like "you don't need to lose any more," or "you're looking a little too thin."  :angry:  I know my body and no, I am not looking too thin, I want to tone and actually be able to see these muscles I've been working!  I do my best to share what I'm doing with everyone that asks but like I said before, it's hard to get people to change, especially when they're not open-minded to thinking outside the box.  I will just continue setting the example and stay hopeful that others will follow suit.  Whole30 isn't a fad diet, and I'm well on my way to proving it's my new way of life.

@Leigh Anne I would like to read The Case Against Sugar - thanks for the mention.  Audible has this book on tape.  They also have It Starts With Food, it's a great listen!

I am admiring everyone who is hanging in there and sticking to the plan despite illnesses, injuries, and challenging situations.  I'm drawing inspiration from it today as I deal with yet another new injury. 

It's been a good couple of days in terms of Whole30 living.  I went back to basics with simple meals of easy proteins, lots of greens, avocado, quick-steamed veggies, etc.  I'm less active this month than I have been all year, but I am confident I'm not gaining weight and am slightly leaner.  No bloating, no heavy feeling after eating, no cravings for alcohol or sugar.  It's remarkable.  The Whole30 has been a real safety net and is keeping me well despite the challenges. 

Another huge thing: I am noticing much less anxiety around eating on days when I haven't had a kick-a** workout.  I used to feel I didn't deserve to eat otherwise!  I wonder if my body is sending me messages to pay attention, making me realize I can eat and be well regardless of calories burned.  Every day I need and deserve good food, no matter what.  Feeling grateful for the Whole30 today.     

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:53 AM, vozelle said:

Try this amazing, fun and inexpensive ($10-25) online class for a great "I CAN DO IT" boost: https://www.dailyom.com/cgi-bin/courses/courseoverview.cgi?cid=721  Sounds like you're dealing with a combo of emotional, mental, and biological factors… I urge you to seek whatever support fits best for you, and never give up on yourself!!  Sending love and support your way, sister! 

@vozelle Thanks for sharing this!  I'm signing up to help cement the meal template/non-snacking habit in.  It will hopefully carry me through reintroduction.  It is worth a try!   

I also have managed to hurt my left elbow somehow.  I turned over in bed night before last and leaned on my elbow while doing so, the result was a horrible pain that kept me awake most of the night.  Couldn't find a comfortable position, ended up getting up and taking Advil.  That helped.  The next day I iced and iced and iced then did 1 round of contrast baths (soaking in hot then cold water).  That seems to have helped a lot because the pain is manageable now without Advil.  It just sucks bceause I also have this stupid head cold and feel generally crappy.  Plus the head cold has taken away  my appetite, I just don't feel like eating much.  I'm eating anyway but just because I know I should. 

I'm thinking that if it weren't for Tiger Blood I'd feel lots crappier (at least that's what I'm telling myself).  We are very close, aren't we?  Less than a week.  I toyed with idea of counting down the last few days but that makes it seem like something to be gotten through or endured and I don't like those negative connotations so I'm going to continue to count  up.  

Day #24!  

@Anissa are you eating a lot of raw veggies vs cooked? I had a salad at lunch today which was excellent but not what I'm used to and I definitely noticed how it made me feel bloated this afternoon.

@Julzology I'm with you on the countdown, it just doesn't seem right for this. People at work keep asking how much longer I have and I'm not really thinking about it like that!

13 minutes ago, sunnytropic said:

@Anissa are you eating a lot of raw veggies vs cooked? I had a salad at lunch today which was excellent but not what I'm used to and I definitely noticed how it made me feel bloated this afternoon.

@Julzology I'm with you on the countdown, it just doesn't seem right for this. People at work keep asking how much longer I have and I'm not really thinking about it like that!

@sunnytropic I eat salad daily and lots of raw veggies. . Nothing new. Haven't really even added veggies I'm not used to and I look pregnant. But I also have a headache and I feel antsy and like my bp is elevated which is a side effect of this med. just never noticed the bloating and wondered if this was another bodily adjustment or a fluke unrelated. 

Hi guys, eating raw veggies and too much fruit makes me bloated so I recognise the problem. I haven't eaten raw for about 6 months now.  The other day I wasn't able to get a decent W30 lunch and had fruit instead, That got me bloated. So; cooking or steaming veggies is the thing at least for me. I love the Cassablanca Carrots from WF2. And I cut down on fruit. By the way; cauliflower (as rice or mash) makes me feel bloated too unfortunately. But I can eat kale or brussel sprouts without problems. A body is a funny thing, isn't it?

10 hours ago, Anissa said:

I eat salad daily and lots of raw veggies. . Nothing new. Haven't really even added veggies I'm not used to

Everyone has a threshold though - perhaps you've gone over yours and are suffering the consequences? Food combinations will play a part too..... If you want to list out a few days worth of your food intake we can take a look for any likely culprits...

Day 25 ya'll! @Julzology I like your thinking! We get to do this for 30 days and I want to make each one count. It really is a privilege to be able to change our diets this way. The food industry these days is so quick, cheap and dirty; designed to keep the poor unhealthy. I am thankful that I have the ability to buy nitrate free sugar free humanely raised bacon. 

But...I have already found where we are going for our Valentines Day treat. 

Our plan is to continue to eat whole30 during the week and with the meals we cook at home. And to actually cook at home instead of just going out when we don't feel like cooking. Then when things come up on the weekends or special occasions we will eat what is worth it in the moment. A slow-roll reintro.  

Day #25!  

I was at a meeting last night and found out a couple other people there are Whole30 and started the same day.  That was exciting!  I really liked that someone else besides me is taking the challenge.  My boss has dropped out completely and has gone back to her 2-3 liter a day coke habit :o.  Crazy. 

I braved the meeting with the light dinner which was sandwiches and potato and pasta salad.  I ate at home before the meeting and then just had water.  It was fine.  I only had one person ask if I wanted some food and I just said I had already eaten.  No problem. 

Still fighting this @#$@%ing head cold.  Dammit.  And I realize that I've eaten the exact same thing for breakfast and lunch three days in a row and while that's not necessarily a bad thing I'm getting a little tired of it.  Need better meal prep.  My husband was encouraging me to try Sambucus which is a natural cold remedy.  One of the ingredients is Vegetable Glycerin and even though I didn't know what that was I decided not to take the Sambucus until I found out.  Yup, turns out vegetable glycerin is a sneaky sugar.  Ha!  I remembered to read a label!  

I have also realized that I can't reintroduce wine until I'm done with reintroduction because drinking wine will dull or diminish my awareness of how the foods are affecting me and I want to be absolutely clear.  

You guys are doing so great, despite the challenges... keep up the good work! Less than a week to go, and then you get to experience the valuable (priceless!) process of re-introduction, where you actually gain the vital info you've worked so hard for all this month!!

Excited for you! Plan to either stay on this thread or create a new one for your group to support each other through the reintro phase... so important and so helpful. Plan to take detailed notes during reintroductions, they will be invaluable later, and you will want to refer to them (again and again as you find your new eating plan for the long-haul), trust me!

You guys are amazing! I know that some here struggled and that is just part of being human. I think in one way or another most of us struggled with parts of WHOLE30. :) Probably the only reason I didn't quit is that I told too many people about it and just could not imagine telling them I quit. On the nights I didn't cook enough, I ate compliant RX bars (see below - not my finest hour)

Last night I had my first 'guilt' dream - I dreamed I forgot I was on W30 and ate (disgusting) fried shrimp in sesame seeds. I woke up FREAKING OUT! It took me about 10 min to realize it was a dream. I ended up getting up and meditating. It was 4am lol.

The last couple of days have had me bloated too. I think I was simply 'over' cooking veggies and so would have some protein, a small salad and was still hungry so had an RX bar. I did that 3 times in the last two days and I think probably caused the bloating and stomach discomfort. I will go a few days without them and see what happens.

@vozelle great post about reintro. I started whole30 after I read ISWF and thought I ate pretty well - with my protein shakes, Subway chicken sandwiches, just-one-sweetened-ice-tea daily and my weekly fro-yo with PB cup toppings. When I read ISWF I realized what I might be doing to my body...hormonally, leaky guy, inflammation etc. Reintro scares me because many of the things I like are in multiple food groups...or shall we say have added sugar as well as whatever group they are in. hahaha 

For years I have been a Weight watchers lifetime member and while the WW program works and helped me lose weight and keep it off, I always felt like something was not quite right. Over Christmas I went to a WW meeting with my sister and the leader (bless her!) showed us 10 processed foods that had low points - corn chips and Green Giant cauliflower with some  fried coating to look like Tater tots. I understand that it works to lose weight but it felt, again, not quite right. That is when I committed to whole30.

I have  had tendonitis in elbows, knees and my hip for some time now. I have not noticed a huge difference (by day 25 lol) but Eating.Real.Food. has to help even if the tendonitis doesn't go away.

Again, to all of you, thanks sooooo much for your posts. Although I don't comment much, I read every one and think of each of you. Here's to 5 more days for many of us - and new Whole30 challenges for others. xoxox

23 hours ago, Nira81 said:

Another huge thing: I am noticing much less anxiety around eating on days when I haven't had a kick-a** workout.  I used to feel I didn't deserve to eat otherwise!  I wonder if my body is sending me messages to pay attention, making me realize I can eat and be well regardless of calories burned.  Every day I need and deserve good food, no matter what.  Feeling grateful for the Whole30 today.     

@Nira81 I so resonate with the 'I don't deserve to eat this much' on days when I have not had an intense workout too!! Thanks for putting into words what I have been feeling.

23 minutes ago, CaseyLee said:

For years I have been a Weight watchers lifetime member and while the WW program works and helped me lose weight and keep it off, I always felt like something was not quite right. Over Christmas I went to a WW meeting with my sister and the leader (bless her!) showed us 10 processed foods that had low points - corn chips and Green Giant cauliflower with some  fried coating to look like Tater tots. I understand that it works to lose weight but it felt, again, not quite right. That is when I committed to whole30.

This is interesting because I have a co-worker who regularly visits the office candy dish (Hershey's miniatures) and proclaims "only 2 Weight Watcher points!" and I always think the same things A: if I'm spending 2 points on chocolate it will be something fabulous like Vosges, not Hershey's and B: Points aren't the only thing you should be measuring.  I have been successful losing on WW too but always thought they pushed their processed foods a little too much.  

1 minute ago, Julzology said:

This is interesting because I have a co-worker who regularly visits the office candy dish (Hershey's miniatures) and proclaims "only 2 Weight Watcher points!" and I always think the same things A: if I'm spending 2 points on chocolate it will be something fabulous like Vosges, not Hershey's and B: Points aren't the only thing you should be measuring.  I have been successful losing on WW too but always thought they pushed their processed foods a little too much.  

Exactly! If I get 24 daily points (or whatever I forget how many)...then I can have 12 of those a day. Yes I may lose weight but at what nutritional cost. (Not to be all high and mighty..I have done that with chocolate too!!)

@Julzology @CaseyLee I, too, have had success with WW only to gain back nearly half of what I lost.  I also felt that something wasn't quite right with their plan.  It seems like they distract you from what the real problem is by having you figure out how many points are in something.  Some days I would eat a Panera bagel for breakfast and only have 5 points left for dinner, it surely wasn't doing me any favors because I didn't learn anything about food.  Their snack products are terrible for you and since they're sugary little carb bombs they keep you hooked!

@MarcellaC @Julzology @CaseyLee another former WW here. When I lost my 107 lbs 8 yrs ago all but the first 15 were with WW. I was within 8 lbs of goal when I stopped going. Weight didn't come back right away but it's been creeping up year after year with some boughts of losing again only to re-gain. I have never felt better than I have these past 25 days on Whole30. I never knew I didn't have to be hungry all the time and feel like I was depriving myself. When I was most successful on WW I was eating things like the frozen meals, string cheese, low fat yogurt, canned soups, and low fat ice cream bars. Even when I got so close to goal you know what, my life wasn't magically all better just because I was finally for the first time in my life (seriously) not overweight or obese. That was a big wake up call. I very much prefer this way of eating and find it to be much more sustainable in the long term since I'm actually satisfied after each meal and for hours and hours afterward.

My salad strategy at lunch worked yesterday, it was SO GOOD. shaved cauliflower and brussel sprouts with grilled chicken and extra virgin olive oil & balsamic.

I picked up some avocado oil at Trader Joe's last weekend and I'm obsessed! I've been using it to sauté everything this week. It was cheaper than Whole Foods and I hear Costco has it even cheaper.

Archived