Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calibilly

January 2nd start date

Recommended Posts

First of all, I am feeling way better today!! Slept great and woke up with no nausea...thank god!!  

I have a great recipe to share with you: Bone broth breakfast soup! 

It's easy - just take 1 to 2 cups of bone broth and heat up on the stove to boiling. Whisk 2 eggs in a bowl. Then, with a spoon swirl the broth and slowly stream in the eggs. This is the same process that egg drop soup is made. Make sure to salt and pepper to taste, and hot sauce is good too! Optional: Add bacon, veggies or meats of choice. 

Obviously this can be catered if you eat more, just add more broth and eggs! 

 

unnamed.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, phantommeb said:

 

First of all, I am feeling way better today!! Slept great and woke up with no nausea...thank god!!  

I have a great recipe to share with you: Bone broth breakfast soup! 

It's easy - just take 1 to 2 cups of bone broth and heat up on the stove to boiling. Whisk 2 eggs in a bowl. Then, with a spoon swirl the broth and slowly stream in the eggs. This is the same process that egg drop soup is made. Make sure to salt and pepper to taste, and hot sauce is good too! Optional: Add bacon, veggies or meats of choice. 

Obviously this can be catered if you eat more, just add more broth and eggs! 

 

 

Holy smokes! This sounds amazing!!!! Do you know if it will hold well if made ahead of time and re-heated? I have to prep for breakfast and lunch during my work week so I need meals that can be done ahead of time. Thanks for sharing!!

On that note....hello everyone! I'm on day 4 with most of you. This will be my 3rd round. I did one last February and felt amazing at the end of it!  I made the mistake of ending it right before a big family vacation, so reintroduction just didn't happen. I did another round in May, but without as much intensity and ate way more fruit and nuts than I should have. The holidays were a mess for me food-wise, so I'm heading into Round 3 with vigor and a resolution to make it stick this year. For those half-hazardly following the plan, don't do what I did during my last round. It's way more worth it to stick to the plan. At the end of your 30 (or 45 or 60) days, you'll be so glad you did. Good luck today! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CarolineW26 said:

Holy smokes! This sounds amazing!!!! Do you know if it will hold well if made ahead of time and re-heated? I have to prep for breakfast and lunch during my work week so I need meals that can be done ahead of time. Thanks for sharing!!

I made this breakfast scramble bake every Sunday for work weeks and it's AMAZING with some hot sauce on top!

http://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CarleenVC said:

Nope not homemade, I got them from Trader Joe's, all that's in them are plantains and salt. I always have carbs pre-workout or I feel like crap. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, not looking to be keto or get rid of carbs, I need them for proper functioning of my thyroid. I've been down that road and it sucks. 

 

4 hours ago, CarleenVC said:

Day 4 will be interesting.. we are going on a quick day trip which I would usually eat out but I'm definitely feeling a little lost as to where I can eat and what. I am packing some coconut chips, plantain chips and guacamole, some cashews, and a tin of salmon plus an apple and carrots & celery. I'm not really looking forward to the canned salmon without any mayo or dressing- I am not a fish person but I make myself eat it it at least once or twice a week. Hopefully the "kill all the things" phase isn't too bad. Cheers to day 4 everyone! 

Hey, @CarleenVC - sorry to burst your bubble but regardless of ingredients, those plantain chips from TJ are not compliant.  From the "Can I Have" guide:

Chips: Not if they’re commercially prepared and/or deep fried

While we recognize that potatoes and other veggies are a real food, we also know that eating them in the form of fries and chips has turned them from “produce” into an adulterated commercial “product.” It’s easy to find sweet potato, beet, or vegetable chips that meet the Whole30 ingredient standards. It is not easy, however, to consume those chips in a way that’s true to the spirit of the Whole30. It’s hard to find a suitable place for them in our meal planning template (no, half a bag of “Sweets and Beets” is not an appropriate way to fill your plate with vegetables), and even harder to stop yourself from eating them when the designated serving comes to an end. For most of us, chips are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compliant ingredients. For that reason, we do not allow frying starchy veggies and turning them into chips during your Whole30. (However, if you want to roast some kale until it’s crispy, or thinly slice jicama into a scoop for your guacamole, be our guest.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PhysicsHippie said:

I made this breakfast scramble bake every Sunday for work weeks and it's AMAZING with some hot sauce on top!

http://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/

I really need a make ahead breakfast option because I can never seem to manage my time in the morings.  This looks great.  As does the soup posted up thread.  I'm definitely trying both of these.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Julzology said:

I really need a make ahead breakfast option because I can never seem to manage my time in the morings.  This looks great.  As does the soup posted up thread.  I'm definitely trying both of these.  

 

We make an egg bake every Sunday and change up the ingredients to help with boredom.

Basically, shred some potatoes (DIY, we haven't found a packaged brand without junk), saute up some sausage (Italian or chorizo are our favorites. Again, DIY) with onions, green peppers, mushrooms, spinach, whatever you have in the fridge. Mix the potatoes with sausage mixture and put in a 13x9 pan. Whisk up a doz or so eggs and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the egg is no longer giggly and the top has browned. 

we cut that up in and take to work in tupperware and then add W30 ranch or hot sauce. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2017 at 8:20 AM, Oh the Irony said:

Hi all.

Yesterday, day #2 started out really well. Felt okay and I DRANK MY FIRST CUP OF BLACK COFFEE IN MY LIFE!! I normally do mochas. I went to a friends place where they do cold brewed coffee and had an iced one that I actually drank. I was kind of in shock!!

I had jury duty and noticed that the pressure feeling in my right ear felt a bit better. There was crackling which I took as a good sign--movement.

Then at 4:15 yesterday I got the dizzy feeling and it went promptly into hardcore vertigo with the room spinning and vomiting. I'm flat on my back on the floor at work. My parents came and got me and then I just had to do the completely still in bed thing. I'm exhausted today (normal after attack) and have no appettite--also normal.  This is my first attack since Thanksgiving--I've just had the weird feeling in ear for the last 5-6 weeks. 

I'm wondering if this is part of detox for me? That the change in diet could have changed something and triggered the attack? I'm trying to get in with an acupuncturist. My ENT gave me a diuretic last time and told me he'd see me in three months. 

 

That attack sounds really scary! Hopefully you're able to recover quickly and take on the rest of the challenge. Let us know how you improve! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PhysicsHippie said:

I'm on day 4, and just a fun little tid-bit... my boyfriend has been really good about me going on my Whole30s (this is my 4th round). He was so great last night, that he essentially waited until I was in bed to make his frozen pizza so I didn't have to smell its deliciousness. SO thankful for that, because that's the toughest part... being around food I can't eat. Some co-workers brought in Kringle (a pastery thingy, I think it's a WI thing?). I just gave it the evil eye and made up my tea for the afternoon.

In case anyone is struggling with not snacking at night (like I do), I DEFINITELY recommend buying some nice herbal teas and drinking those instead. I think it works really well, especially in the winter (it's literally 3 degrees Fahrenheit in WI right now). 

Also, anyone having strange/vivid dreams yet? I haven't had all of the other symptoms really (don't hate me), but I had one heck of a doozy dream last night! Needless to say, I should back off on my American Horror Story watching for awhile!

 

Thank you for the tip about the tea! I've been looking for things to take my mind off the cookies and milk my husband has before bed. What are some of your favorite tea combinations? I'm thinking of getting some cute mugs to drink it out of too, just trying to keep things fun. 

Good luck with everything! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AmberRayAnn said:

Thank you for the tip about the tea! I've been looking for things to take my mind off the cookies and milk my husband has before bed. What are some of your favorite tea combinations? I'm thinking of getting some cute mugs to drink it out of too, just trying to keep things fun. 

Good luck with everything! 

I'm pretty obsessed with this Turmeric with Meadowsweet & Ginger tea that Traditional Medicinals sells (it's in the health food section at my grocery store). I also like their chamomile and raspberry leaf tea. I just noticed that they have a "Weightless Cranberry" that I now want to try actually... mmm :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PhysicsHippie said:

I'm pretty obsessed with this Turmeric with Meadowsweet & Ginger tea that Traditional Medicinals sells (it's in the health food section at my grocery store). I also like their chamomile and raspberry leaf tea. I just noticed that they have a "Weightless Cranberry" that I now want to try actually... mmm :)

Oh, and Celestial Seasoning's Sleepytime Tea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

 

Hey, @CarleenVC - sorry to burst your bubble but regardless of ingredients, those plantain chips from TJ are not compliant.  From the "Can I Have" guide:

Chips: Not if they’re commercially prepared and/or deep fried

While we recognize that potatoes and other veggies are a real food, we also know that eating them in the form of fries and chips has turned them from “produce” into an adulterated commercial “product.” It’s easy to find sweet potato, beet, or vegetable chips that meet the Whole30 ingredient standards. It is not easy, however, to consume those chips in a way that’s true to the spirit of the Whole30. It’s hard to find a suitable place for them in our meal planning template (no, half a bag of “Sweets and Beets” is not an appropriate way to fill your plate with vegetables), and even harder to stop yourself from eating them when the designated serving comes to an end. For most of us, chips are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compliant ingredients. For that reason, we do not allow frying starchy veggies and turning them into chips during your Whole30. (However, if you want to roast some kale until it’s crispy, or thinly slice jicama into a scoop for your guacamole, be our guest.)

Ok..  I guess I'm just done... I feel ok eating them and not out of control... between this and someone else telling me I had to restart because I had to weigh myself on day 3 instead of day 0 because I don't own a scale and didn't have access to one until then, this program is just a little too ridiculous at times. I get the idea behind both of the recommendations but they do not align with my reactions and relationships with either the scale or the plantain chips. I've definitely felt better and am going to continue eating loads of veggies, no sugar and no dairy (I already ate gluten free) for at least 30 days to wait and reintroduce dairy but if I'm not "official" enough for the forums or the Facebook groups I just won't participate. I feel like every time I post to share I'm told I'm doing something wrong even though I feel great and have already seen NSVs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CarleenVC said:

Ok..  I guess I'm just done... I feel ok eating them and not out of control... between this and someone else telling me I had to restart because I had to weigh myself on day 3 instead of day 0 because I don't own a scale and didn't have access to one until then, this program is just a little too ridiculous at times. I get the idea behind both of the recommendations but they do not align with my reactions and relationships with either the scale or the plantain chips. I've definitely felt better and am going to continue eating loads of veggies, no sugar and no dairy (I already ate gluten free) for at least 30 days to wait and reintroduce dairy but if I'm not "official" enough for the forums or the Facebook groups I just won't participate. I feel like every time I post to share I'm told I'm doing something wrong even though I feel great and have already seen NSVs. 

CarleenVC, PLEASE don't get discouraged by people's comments... not everyone who follows the program gets super hyper about the rules.

This is YOUR reset and YOUR Whole30... my friend has done her Whole30 while eating corn... I don't do that, but you do you. I really don't want you to feel discouraged from a few "bad eggs". This forum is meant to support, not tear down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PhysicsHippie said:

CarleenVC, PLEASE don't get discouraged by people's comments... not everyone who follows the program gets super hyper about the rules.

This is YOUR reset and YOUR Whole30... my friend has done her Whole30 while eating corn... I don't do that, but you do you. I really don't want you to feel discouraged from a few "bad eggs". This forum is meant to support, not tear down. 

Sorry, @PhysicsHippie - 100% of the time, a moderator or member will point out if someone is including something (behaviour or food) that is not actually Whole30 relevant. It doesn't make us/them a "bad egg". Eating corn = not the Whole30. Eating chips = not the Whole30. Weighing = not the Whole30. Drinking wine = not the Whole30. And that's fine. Honestly, it is. No one says anyone has to do the Whole30 and maybe wherever you are now is better than where you were and that truly is great! But if you are going to come into the official Whole30 house and discuss/describe the ways in which you aren't willing to participate, you'll be called out on it. There is no guilt, shame or morality around these decisions. There's just "is Whole30" and "isn't Whole30". Everything is personal choice. But we wouldn't be doing our job if we didn't point out inconsistencies for both the member posting and anyone new coming along.

It's not personal and I'm truly sorry if you felt/feel that it was, @CarleenVC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, iteach said:

My husband said I snored loudly. I have no clue what he's talking about because I didn't hear anything. 

:lol::lol:

7 hours ago, PhysicsHippie said:

Some co-workers brought in Kringle (a pastery thingy, I think it's a WI thing?).

Looks similar to "kuchen" which is a German thing popular in South Dakota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Karen Twin-Cities said:

We make an egg bake every Sunday and change up the ingredients to help with boredom.

Basically, shred some potatoes (DIY, we haven't found a packaged brand without junk), saute up some sausage (Italian or chorizo are our favorites. Again, DIY) with onions, green peppers, mushrooms, spinach, whatever you have in the fridge. Mix the potatoes with sausage mixture and put in a 13x9 pan. Whisk up a doz or so eggs and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the egg is no longer giggly and the top has browned. 

we cut that up in and take to work in tupperware and then add W30 ranch or hot sauce. 

That sounds so good, I think I'll make one this coming Sunday for next week. I am trying to squeeze in a workout before work more often and this week I've been spending too much time cooking (a delicious one mind you!) breakfast to be able to do both without running late!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jesscummings said:

Day 4 here. I really haven't had any cravings at all, other than yesterday evening just after dinner I decided I wanted fruit (I don't tend to eat dessert so I don't think that was it, and it didn't feel like a sugar craving) - I did have half a clementine but I hadn't had any fruit the rest of the day so I thought it was ok. I truly have no interest in eating off plan foods at this point, but I feel so tired. It was a huge battle to get out of bed this morning and I just have wanted to take a nap all day. I also have found that even though I'm excited about my meals and enjoying them, about halfway through both breakfast and lunch today, I just kind of lost interest in them. It's hard to explain because it didn't feel like I was full and it didn't feel like I disliked them but I just lost interest and had to force myself to keep eating. Also super sore from my workout Tuesday and debating whether to do the next hard workout tonight after feeling so tired - I've been doing the Spartan DailyBurn plan because I like Spartan races and I did one last year and have 2 upcoming this year. Thoughts on whether to push through or to skip it?

This weekend I have a volunteer event that I'm helping run all day Saturday and Sunday, so I'm planning to bring some salads with protein for lunch, homemade beef jerky and fruit for a snack (not getting home until 7:30 at night most likely so will need something to hold me til dinner). I'm actually worried about meal prep for next week, I'm going to start looking at what I want tonight and get some easy meals for Monday and Tuesday so I don't have to spend a ton of time Sunday night. If anyone has any favorite crock pot soup/chili recipes, that would be awesome - it's pretty cold here and I could use some warm and easy food!

I made the chili recipe in "The Whole30 The 30-Day guide to Total Health and Food Freedom" and it was delicious. You prep the meal on the stove and then let it finish in the crock pot. I added avocado to mine and was SO good! I would make the recipe again and add different proteins such as chicken, peppers, and avocado for more of a tortilla-less soup

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PhysicsHippie said:

I'm on day 4, and just a fun little tid-bit... my boyfriend has been really good about me going on my Whole30s (this is my 4th round). He was so great last night, that he essentially waited until I was in bed to make his frozen pizza so I didn't have to smell its deliciousness. SO thankful for that, because that's the toughest part... being around food I can't eat. Some co-workers brought in Kringle (a pastery thingy, I think it's a WI thing?). I just gave it the evil eye and made up my tea for the afternoon.

In case anyone is struggling with not snacking at night (like I do), I DEFINITELY recommend buying some nice herbal teas and drinking those instead. I think it works really well, especially in the winter (it's literally 3 degrees Fahrenheit in WI right now). 

Also, anyone having strange/vivid dreams yet? I haven't had all of the other symptoms really (don't hate me), but I had one heck of a doozy dream last night! Needless to say, I should back off on my American Horror Story watching for awhile!

So funny I went to Costco today to pick up some beef and chicken.... my mouth was literally watering looking at the food  (not that I was hungry because I wasn't)... good thing I got out of there quick! 

I too love having a cup of tea at night. I have also found that La Croix waters help when I want a little something extra. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All,

Just finished day 4.  I've done the whole 30 at least three times.  My body is adjusting more quickly to the changes this time around but it has been like a rollercoaster.  I feel fine and then I feellike I'm getting a cold.  Later, I have a headache but that passes and I'm fine for a while.  My throat was sore for about an hour,  my earached for a different hour, I was very sleepy and then I was energetic.

I got home and made this wonderful soup:  sweet potato soup with carmeized onions and cinnamon meatballs topped with zhoug!  I saw this recipe but couldn't find it when it was time to cook, so I made it up.  So delicious...

Good luck tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, phantommeb said:

Oh and I forgot...add green onions! 

Hey Phantommeb,  so glad to hear you are feeling better.  That was quite and experience you had there.  

I love soup and love your soup idea.  I've done a simmilar thing with a brothy zucchini soup.  I like to poach my eggs in it.  I've alos made it with spinach and sausage. Yummo!  I'll have to try your method.  The picture is beautiful and I would probably add Kale.

Be well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm headachy and hangry tonight because I got home after 9 and the dinner at my meeting was food I couldn't eat. I ate salad without anything on it and had to get a grilled chicken take out later.  That part is hard. I don't crave anything but I'm grumpy. Work has also interfered with exercise too. Better day tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

i started January 2nd. First timer. Im am engineer with a busy schedule so I meal prep on weekends. I love avocados and guac so that's definitely helping me out. I'm definitely feeling the sugar and booze withdrawals right now though. I have a work trip next week to LA any tips on traveling with meals or being extra careful at restuarants? 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2017 at 9:05 PM, DasiF said:

So today was day 2 for me, ate well but feeling really crappy. I had a bit of a headache later in the afternoon and now feeling as if my allergies have gone haywire. Anyone else experience nose that won't stop running? Felt ready to crash at around 7 but had to get kids to bed and catch up on paperwork. Looking forward to having a relaxing weekend soon!

 Having the same reactions. I hope it passes soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Fmad85 said:

Hi!

i started January 2nd. First timer. Im am engineer with a busy schedule so I meal prep on weekends. I love avocados and guac so that's definitely helping me out. I'm definitely feeling the sugar and booze withdrawals right now though. I have a work trip next week to LA any tips on traveling with meals or being extra careful at restuarants? 

Thanks

I think I could live on avocados! Definitely a bonus in this lifestyle change! I started on the 3rd and so far am feeling OK (surprising after the holidays- although I do miss my wine). Fortunately LA is very health conscious so it should be a little easier than some cities. I travel a lot for work and when I tried this before I always packed emergency snacks which helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites