January 2nd start date

calibilly

Day #6  that's 20% completed.  (I love numbers)

I woke up feeling pretty good.  Bacon and eggs for breakfast.  It's snowing here so this will be a day indoors making soup and cleaning my office which is a nightmare of paper. 

Happy Day #6 everyone!

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Julzology said:

Day #6  that's 20% completed.  (I love numbers)

I woke up feeling pretty good.  Bacon and eggs for breakfast.  It's snowing here so this will be a day indoors making soup and cleaning my office which is a nightmare of paper. 

Happy Day #6 everyone!

I was about to say the same thing, I'm a numbers person too :)

Today I woke up with a headache so I've been taking it easy so far. I'm a bit NW of the more major snow hitting the area today so I'm hoping to venture out this afternoon to Whole Foods and Trader Joes, both are about 45 min from me. I also have an errand to run at the mall nearby both so I don't mind making the drive.

8 minutes ago, colleen lowe said:

It's day 6 - I am thinking I may be doing something wrong as I feel good. Haven't been hungry or craving anything. No symptoms from the timeline except one headache. Any comments?  

I'm in the same boat. Headache today has been only "symptom" so far. I know everyone is different I've seen the moderators say the timeline is just a guide and not the same for everyone. I'm just rolling with it and hoping the momentum from feeling so good will keep the following days similar to the first 6!

Hey all!! I started on the second as well, but haven't had the chance to get back on the forum. This is my second try at w30 (did it for 5 days in early December, but gave in to the holiday events...) I keep telling myself, "This time, it's as good as done!" There's no way I can go back to my old habits. Major, major, major sugar addict, and I need to put the brakes on.

Excited to walk through this journey with y'all!! We're over 20% done already. :)

Digestive system is whacked currently; I made a huge mistake of eating nuts each day (now that I've been reading the forum, I can see that was a bad idea), and I think that's why I've been feeling the pain the past few days. Hoping that this will pass quickly!

Also, anyone know of any awesome recipes?? I've got an entire afternoon free tomorrow, and really looking for some new twists to my bland meals. Would love stews, soups, or really anything besides salad & chicken for lunch/dinner, eggs for breakfast! (Plus veggies, of course).

Let's finish this strong, people! 

39 minutes ago, colleen lowe said:

It's day 6 - I am thinking I may be doing something wrong as I feel good. Haven't been hungry or craving anything. No symptoms from the timeline except one headache. Any comments?  

I think the worse your eating habits were to start with the more detox you have to contend with.  That's based on nothing but my own personal logic :wacko:.  

But yes, everyone is different and some suffer more than others.  I think it's not only how much detoxing you have but also how sensitive you are in general to changes in your body.  My boss is really suffering.  She was a 2 liter a day coke drinker, not to mention a daily kit kat bar so she had a huge sugar dragon to slay not to mention that she's got a host of other physical issues.  Because she's been living with chronic conditions her whole life I believe she is extra sensitive to changes in her body.  It's going to be much harder for her to get through the first two weeks than it is for me, someone who is generally healthy, can exercise and is used to being stoic or tough and generally not paying attention to discomfort.   

It is as much a mental game as a physical one.  For me it's more than willingness, it has to be awareness.  I have to listen to the subtle and insidious thoughts and feelings that lurk deep inside.  These little demons are the ones that will derail my progress.  It's not a dragon, it's a virus, microsopic and stealthy.  

Ok, Day 6 is now Day 1 for me. :)  I'm on a restart.  I had chili last night, and it had beans and corn in it.  I made the conscious decision to eat it, and to NOT eat rice, cheese, or tortillas.  Or sugar. :)  This is my 5th or 6th W30, and I'm in it this time around for either 90 or 180 days.  I know from past experience that - for me at least - it's a journey of more than 30 days.  Generally speaking, and based upon past re-intros, I'm fine with beans, but corn "can" turn into a "food with no brakes" situation with me.  I LOVE ME SOME CORN! :)  Any, like I said - I'm so fine with this.  A W30 is a W30, period...and I'm in it for the long run.  I consider making the decision to not eat rice, cheese, or tortillas last night, and then sticking with it, to be a win in and of itself.

All-in-all ... to date I've definitely seen a reduction in the inflammation.  That is totally sugar and dairy for me.  My hands still ache horribly - and I know that will go away in time as well.  Based upon experience, I also know that I'll see other NSV's in the upcoming weeks, and I CAN'T WAIT! :)  

I am still amazed that I can un-do 10 months of "good" eating with 2 months of "bad" eating...but there you go.  I gained 22 lbs between the end of October and the end of December.  Whaaaaaattttttt?!?!?  

So, I invested in "RealPlans" for this time around, and I'm loving it, honestly.  I'm having so much fun playing around with recipes and menus, and then having a grocery list at the end of it all is just simply the icing on the cake (whoops, I guess I need to find another saying!)

While my eating was "technically" compliant over the first 5 days (other than the chili episode), I do realize that I need to focus on eating 3 robust, balanced meals with no snacks.  I start great with breakfast every day, but by lunch I can be scattered between work and just life in general.  I need to do some better planning for lunch.  My plan for the first week was "leftovers".  That's fine, if you execute.  My tendency over the past week was more toward starting to "graze" at around 1-2 PM when I realized I'd worked thru lunch, and was in back-to-back meetings until dinner.  Working at home is great - but I was trotting to the kitchen and grabbing stuff to graze on instead of eating a true meal.  Lesson learned! ;)   Also, I was eating too much fruit, too many nuts, and not enough protein and veggies and good fats. 

Allrighty, everyone - let's go strong into week two, no matter what day it is for you!  

OK, it's the afternoon, there's a snowstorm so I'm stuck inside.  I'm bored and a little annoyed and that is making me really want to have a cocktail.  This is the first time since I started that I really wanted a drink.  The food thing  isn't bothering me but damn the lure of alcohol.  

Phew just had a close call. Was at Trader Joes and found a proscuitto that was just pork and salt, I thought I saw a larger package of the same brand so I bought that. Got home and was so excited for some I went to open the package and luckily glanced at the ingredients again...darn, sugar was listed! So glad I looked before I ate any! A little bummed my afternoon snack (I have 7-8 hrs between lunch and dinner so I've been doing an afternoon snack- usually a hard boiled egg dipped in homemade mayo & a clementine) is only partially complete today. I am sipping a mug of bone broth after coming in from our snowy errands!

No snow here but lots of rain.  I think I'll make some soup and mayo and plan menus for the next week.

Day 7 for me ( started on the 1st).  Pants are feeling a bit looser and my energy is pretty good however, I made the mistake of trying on clothes at Anthropologie yesterday.  It was almost as bad as weighing myself (scale is in storage for the month) from the perspective of being potentially discouraging.  Not sure what I was expecting after merely 6 days but whatever it was, it wasn't there and the body I had when I started was.   I had remind myself that W30 has worked for me in the past, I am not looking for the quick and temporary fix that calorie restriction will bring and regardless of that fact that I look the same, I truly feel better already.  I guess my message to myself and anyone else who is feeling a tad discouraged is...  just stay the course.  W30 works... just stay the course and stay out of Anthropologie for a while!

Have a great weekend everyone.

Kellygirl  

Hi all, 

Thanks so much for the support on my vertigo issue. I really appreciate it and am thankful in general to be part of doing something with so much very well thought out support and resources. The emails are absolutley wonderful! 

The vertigo wears me out for about a week, so I'm not sure what is vertigo or whole30 related. I've stuck in there--my appetite goes down so Ive had to work to eat enough. I have taken today as a total rest day. My sleep last night seemed better and I've been having weird dreams. No major cravings so far...It helps that I haven't been very social. 

I'm just excited to have done something now for six days! I have so much trouble sticking to any sort of food plan because I would always have a bite or sip of something and then it would spiral. My pants feel looser. My ear still feels funny--see acupuncturist and ENT this week. 

Tomorrow will be a plan/prep day. My new favorite: bone broth with kimchi in it. So good and can add some salt and apple cider vinegar. 

4 hours ago, Julzology said:

OK, it's the afternoon, there's a snowstorm so I'm stuck inside.  I'm bored and a little annoyed and that is making me really want to have a cocktail.  This is the first time since I started that I really wanted a drink.  The food thing  isn't bothering me but damn the lure of alcohol.  

I just got my Whole30 cookbook yesterday. There is a sparkling blackberry lime tea that looks amazing. Obviously not the same but having something that looks fancy and fizzy might help. Or is that turning it into a pancake or muffin?

12 minutes ago, Oh the Irony said:

I just got my Whole30 cookbook yesterday. There is a sparkling blackberry lime tea that looks amazing. Obviously not the same but having something that looks fancy and fizzy might help. Or is that turning it into a pancake or muffin?

Nah, you're good.  Mocktails usually get a pass, and for example having kombucha in a wine glass is a pretty common thing.

I never considered a mocktail but I probably would have enjoyed that.  

Made an unfortunate discovery last night.  I take Natural Calm, a magnesium suplement. I have been taking this at bedtime for a couple of years now.  It never occurred to me to read the label.  We have the lemon flavor and it contains stevia which means I've been non compliant for this entire week. :angry: I'm really annoyed and mad at myself for not remembering the stevia.  There's an unflavored version of Natural Calm that is Whole30 approved.  It was in yesterday's newsletter which is what reminded me to read the label. 

@#$%#$ I guess this is day #1?  I don't know.  I'm hoping a moderator will pop in here and give me some advice.  I've been super compliant otherwise.

On 1/6/2017 at 10:03 PM, iteach said:

Me! This is me. Buying stock in toilet paper and making sure we're staying hydrated will hopefully help.

I agree, and good idea about making sure we're eating enough vegetables...although my gut just shuttered at the mention of the fermented foods idea. I don't do well with those...gas gets even worse for me! Ack! lol

Oh man. I sure hope you'll stick with us, and keep going. Lessons are being learned along the way as we all know and have to learn.  Very cool that you're already seeing some none-scale victories too! Proof that this way of eating is in deed helping you achieve a healthier life style. 

Ok. I'm still weak and feeling short of breath. I know I'm not but I notice my heart rate goes up when I exert myself. Is this normal? I otherwise feel good. I wonder if I'm eating enough calories. I'm trying to follow exact. Advice?

41 minutes ago, Anissa said:

Ok. I'm still weak and feeling short of breath. I know I'm not but I notice my heart rate goes up when I exert myself. Is this normal? I otherwise feel good. I wonder if I'm eating enough calories. I'm trying to follow exact. Advice?

Heart rate increase during exertion is normal, the weakness could be either too little food or too few starchy vegetables for your physiology and/or activity level, but the shortness of breath isn't necessarily diet-related.

The meal template is a range of recommended servings sizes, so you could try eating at the higher end of the range.  Also, pre- and post-workout meals part of the official recommendations, so are you partaking in those?

12 minutes ago, kirkor said:

Heart rate increase during exertion is normal, the weakness could be either too little food or too few starchy vegetables for your physiology and/or activity level, but the shortness of breath isn't necessarily diet-related.

The meal template is a range of recommended servings sizes, so you could try eating at the higher end of the range.  Also, pre- and post-workout meals part of the official recommendations, so are you partaking in those?

You aren't drinking enough water. You need to drink more. I've found I've needed to up my intake almost 50% from normal. 

34 minutes ago, Fmad85 said:

You aren't drinking enough water. You need to drink more. I've found I've needed to up my intake almost 50% from normal. 

Got it. I bet I'm not drinking enough water. I am eating starchy veggies about every meal. But I also think I need to up my calories. I'm used to filling them with cheese and grains. Learning curve I guess. 

3 hours ago, Julzology said:

I'm hoping a moderator will pop in here and give me some advice

Hi @Julzology

Stevia isn't disruptive to the gut in the same way that other non-compliant are. It's removal is a lot more to do with the fact it's a sweetener and we want you to retrain your taste buds so that whole foods taste sweet themselves. And of course we also want you to learn to read labels... ;)

Ultimately though you get to decide. Have a read at >this article< and let us know your thoughts.

Day 7!  I ended up not going to the birthday party so I was able to stay compliant at home.  My husband's friend's wife wasn't going either, so I didn't feel bad. I went grocery shopping yesterday and am making my breakfast for the week today.  I am also going to make the chicken cacciatore today.  Last time I did Whole 30 I made this and it lasted me for quite a few meals since I am the only one doing this in my household. 

I hope everyone has a great second week!

20 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Hi @Julzology

Stevia isn't disruptive to the gut in the same way that other non-compliant are. It's removal is a lot more to do with the fact it's a sweetener and we want you to retrain your taste buds so that whole foods taste sweet themselves. And of course we also want you to learn to read labels... ;)

Ultimately though you get to decide. Have a read at >this article< and let us know your thoughts.

Yes, that's the second time that not reading a label bit me in the ass.  I think of Natural Calm as a supplement, not "food".  

READ.THE.LABELS!  (someone tattoo this on my forehead, please)

I have ordered the plain Natural Calm.  I switch to magnesium capsules until that arrives.  

I read the article and it has given me lots to think about.  I don't want to reset because I dislike the idea of starting over.  I'd rather continue and decide after day 30 if I want to make this a Whole40 instead.  

Hello everyone! I'd like to proudly share that I survived a birthday party yesterday AND a visit with my bestie at her house. The party had this amazing gourmet gluten free pizza and fonuts, both of which I would have otherwise loaded up on, and my friend and I like to drink and get silly together when we see each other (which is not often), so yesterday was definitely an accomplishment for us. The snacks we brought really helped. We have another party next week and I think I may bring an actual meal with me this time in case we stay longer than anticipated. While I am doing the strict Whole 30 on my own, my hubby has (for the first time ever), hopped on the dairy-free, grain-free, alcohol-free (!) bandwagon for the month. I think he finally saw how good it makes me feel and he could stand to eat a bit healthier, so he made the decision on his own to do this with me (though maybe not as strict). He's on day 4, so the poor guy is super lethargic and has napped a lot today. I think his carb flu is hitting also. It's helped him knowing that it was coming and it will pass. 

Today is my last day of a 4-day weekend. My timing was perfect on taking these days off from work. I was super tired these last few days and with the exception of a few social gatherings I was able to rest and relax. I'm usually on my feet for 10 hours a day at work and I'm surrounded by delicious food, so this break has been helpful. Today I plan to prep for the week and clean this house. If you guys haven't made the dump ranch or whole 30 mayo yet, trust me when I say they will change your experience! I also might order some Tessemae's sauces today. I've been to 4 different places (including Whole Foods) and I just can't seem to find them. Does anyone have any favorites that they can recommend?

Have a good day everyone!!

Hi everyone, I am a little late to the forum party but wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Marci and I am from Louisville, KY.  My husband and I started on 1/2 and surprisingly have not cheated.  This is the first time my husband has been on board with lifestyle changes I have proposed.  The first few days were really rough for us, headaches and a general feeling of fatigue and brain fog.  Fingers crossed that we begin seeing the boosts of energy we've read about.  I look forward to reading everyone's stories and making new w30 friends.

Archived