January 2nd start date

calibilly

Well, week one is almost in the books!  Was amazed at how easy this time around has been (this is my second, first time last July).   Meal planning (planned for 8 days then was able to wiggle and adjust according to how I felt each day.  Found an awesome creamy roasted cauliflower soup last week and almost cried (if you know me, you know that I've always turned up my nose at cauliflower!)  Still thinking a bunch about food, not necessarily at what I can't have, just way to focussed on food in general.  I've been 100% compliant (except for the piece of beef jerky that the maker assured me had no sugar in it.....he told me later that it had honey).  Have been faced with a bunch of challenges this past weekend (grandchild's birthday party!) and came out strong!!  

Bring on week 2!  Feeling like a million bucks!  Hope everyone is doing well too!!

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CarolineW26 said:

Hello everyone! I'd like to proudly share that I survived a birthday party yesterday AND a visit with my bestie at her house. The party had this amazing gourmet gluten free pizza and fonuts, both of which I would have otherwise loaded up on, and my friend and I like to drink and get silly together when we see each other (which is not often), so yesterday was definitely an accomplishment for us. The snacks we brought really helped. We have another party next week and I think I may bring an actual meal with me this time in case we stay longer than anticipated. While I am doing the strict Whole 30 on my own, my hubby has (for the first time ever), hopped on the dairy-free, grain-free, alcohol-free (!) bandwagon for the month. I think he finally saw how good it makes me feel and he could stand to eat a bit healthier, so he made the decision on his own to do this with me (though maybe not as strict). He's on day 4, so the poor guy is super lethargic and has napped a lot today. I think his carb flu is hitting also. It's helped him knowing that it was coming and it will pass. 

Today is my last day of a 4-day weekend. My timing was perfect on taking these days off from work. I was super tired these last few days and with the exception of a few social gatherings I was able to rest and relax. I'm usually on my feet for 10 hours a day at work and I'm surrounded by delicious food, so this break has been helpful. Today I plan to prep for the week and clean this house. If you guys haven't made the dump ranch or whole 30 mayo yet, trust me when I say they will change your experience! I also might order some Tessemae's sauces today. I've been to 4 different places (including Whole Foods) and I just can't seem to find them. Does anyone have any favorites that they can recommend?

Have a good day everyone!!

I had a hard time finding Tessemae's at Whole Foods as well. Some options were in the vegan refrigerated section and the dressings were in the pre-made food refrigerated area. Made no sense lol. I love the hot buffalo sauce. I grilled chicken and then sliced it and tossed it in the sauce. Baked sweet potato sticks and made dump ranch. Was SO good I almost felt like I was cheating, but was totally compliant. 

7 hours ago, Nira81 said:

@Oh the Irony are you liking the cookbook overall? 

I am! I'm making turkey collards wraps for lunch tomorrow with bacon and avocado. There is also a beef zoodle soup that looks amazing. Quite a few things I have marked up. Really happy with my Well Fed cookbooks too--have made quite a few and everything has been wonderful. Except my mayo! I will try mayo again another week. 

Just made: Tuna salad from Well Fed 2 (so delicious!!)

Up next: zuchhini soup that I head up and take to work as part of breakfast and cooking turkey for the collard wraps. 

Starting to perk up from the vertigo. Had some minor cravings at whole foods today but focused on why I'm doing this and they passed. 

Wonderful to read everyone's hanging in there!

1st Week is almost done...we're nearly there. The one thing I'm dealing with is head-hunger, and having to WASH SO MANY DISHES! I  did some mass cooking today to prep for the week's breakfast and lunches, and then have things planned for dinners. That should "shorten" the dish washing chore a bit--I hope! 

We just got called that tomorrow's a snow day, so I won't have to report to work tomorrow...and I'll work from home instead--it might be with the old fashioned pencil and paper by candle light if we lose power like they're predicting. 

Be safe out in the winter areas!

Well today is Day 7 and I am surprised i made it one week. I experienced a talkative tummy...mood swings ...low or no patience. Definite cravings lethargy and headaches. I feel like I'm surrounded by everything I want.  I haven't eaten this healthy since i was pregnant with my daughter 13 years ago.  28 more days and i will feel like Rocky Balboa when he won a fight!!!

Hello all,

Today was an okay day. I feel like this week I've been terrible about snacking, and havent been consistant about meals

Nonetheless, today I ate all whole30 compliant until I went to Kroger to get food for the upcoming week. I had read a recipe for w30 nachos that included plantain chips (looking back now, I realize the plantain chips were baked), and Kroger didnt have them so I figured Sweet Potato chips would due. As I began to eat the nachos tonight, I realized that these sweet potato chips are likely fried (*face palm*). Dang.

Seeing as chips aren't a trouble food for me (I am doing this mainly for the sugar aspect), I think I'll just continue on as planned. Any thoughts?? I'm definitely continuing, just not sure if I should extend it due to this incident.

Hope you all are having a great Sunday!

7 hours ago, CarolineW26 said:

I think his carb flu is hitting also. It's helped him knowing that it was coming and it will pass. 

5 hours ago, MarcellaC said:

The first few days were really rough for us, headaches and a general feeling of fatigue and brain fog. 

f6hYhIa.jpg

2 hours ago, Rockinred said:

Anyone else going decaf?  Wondering when I'll start feeling better in the morning?

You are all doing great and I'm very thankful to be part of this support group. :)

How much coffee were you drinking before?

I'm doing zero coffee this round, coming off of a few cups of black per day.

How's your sleep hygiene?

Hapoy Day 8 everyone! I was feeling great until yesterday, when I started feeling lethargic and a little bit cranky.  Nowhere near the issues in my first round, thank goodness (fingers crossed).  

@kirkor @Rockinred I believe I'm using my black coffee as a crutch and may need to go decaf as well.  

I'm so tired in the afternoons and I should be feeling better with all this great food and fewer ups and downs in terms of blood sugar...right?  Could it be my 2 cups, sometimes 3, of precious coffee?  I feel like if I have to ask it probably is :( 

I'll try to focus on good results right now:

1. Skin is looking great.  

2. Way fewer specific cravings.  

4. Easily resisted my husband's evening snack last night of crackers, cheese, peanuts and a Guiness.  Haha talk about no compliment eating.  This is why I haven't even mentioned Whole30 to him, I'm just flying solo and telling him I'm cleaning up my eating in general.  

5. Joints are not achy at all, and it's really cold today which would usually make them more so.  

Anyone else kinda cranky and trying to focus on the positive? 

Made it through my first challenge watching a football game with friends. Brought dinner with me and no one had any problem with it. said no to beer and drank seltzer. Didn't feel deprived even though everyone else was eating pasta (one of my old favorites and trigger foods).

Still feeling pretty good although I did notice my jacket felt a little tighter this morning. Right in line with Whole30 timeline though.

Good morning all! 

Starting off day 8! This is my second round with my husband and I actually think this round has been more difficult, mainly because we haven't been as prepared. Also my husband has been complaining about how he feels all the time. We both weren't feeling great after dinner on Saturday night, possibly due to under-cooked chicken, so he had a Tums and neither of us thought anything of it until he read the label and there was sugar and corn starch. He was so frustrated he was about ready to give up right then and there. I said its ok because we weren't deliberately cheating or making an unhealthy/non-compliant choice. I also found on one of the W30 resources Melissa saying that if you slip up with sugar it's not as bad because its not one of the no-no's that affects your hormones and gut and that were not going to go feeding our sugar dragon with Tums. 

We also recently moved and would probably like to be exploring and enjoying the restaurants and breweries but instead we are cooped up in the house. Its been pretty cold too, like too cold to go for a hike or take the dog to the dog park so its hard for us to think of indoor activities that don't involve non-compliant foods. We did meet friend for coffee on Saturday and I thought we would be able to find some type of salad or something to eat at the coffee shop but there was nothing. The roasted brussel sprouts even had sugar on them. 

12 hours ago, kirkor said:

f6hYhIa.jpg

Yes, thank you Kirkor.  As a person who has always struggled with high blood pressure, never in a million years would I think that I'd not be getting enough salt in my diet.  I started adding more to my foods last night and this morning and am feeling so much better today.  Dizziness and almost vertigo type feelings were kicking in.  I hope to feel good enough for my CF class tonight.

Day #8.  I realized this morning that I wake up feeling kind of yucky, not nauseated exactly, not hungry exactly, kind of a combination of the two.  I had my coffee and that was fine but breakfast (egg salad) made me feel queasy.  Wonder what's up with that?  I am usually a billy goat who can eat anything at any hour of the day with no complaints but my stomach has not been liking mornings lately.  I'm wondering if it's the coffee.  I may switch to green tea for a couple of days and see if it makes a difference. 

My boss, who started Whole30 the day after I did, is kind of doing Whole30 so she's being mostly compliant but not reading labels, not being careful about buying prepared foods and while that is none of my business I find that it really pisses me off. She has a laundry list of chronic illnesses that I know would be helped by a strict Whole30 but for whatever reason, she's just not willing or able to do it.   I'm trying to dig into the source of that anger because it seems displaced.  My daughter, who also started the same day as me, also hasn't really stuck to the program and I'm much less annoyed with her, I'm more worried than annoyed because she's only 30 and she's 5'4" and 262# and that's so unhealthy and she's still so young.  I wish I could help her and I cant, she has to do this.  I can only help by example.  I guess that's my take away.  

I think that my anger might be a reflection of something that I'm feeling about my Whole30, my progress, my adherance to the plan.  Need to think on that a bit more.  I am definitely guilty of not always putting together great meals that include protein, veg and fat. Snacked a bit on nuts the first two days, had a slip with non-compliant beef broth on day #2 and a full 5 days of non-compliant magnesium supplement.  Is that it?  Am I still just angry at myself for not getting those things right?  

The good news is that my workout yesterday didn't kick my ass nearly as much as the previous two and there's almost no residual soreness (though tomorrow may tell a different tale).  

On 1/5/2017 at 3:55 PM, PhysicsHippie said:

I'm pretty obsessed with this Turmeric with Meadowsweet & Ginger tea that Traditional Medicinals sells (it's in the health food section at my grocery store). I also like their chamomile and raspberry leaf tea. I just noticed that they have a "Weightless Cranberry" that I now want to try actually... mmm :)

In case anyone is curious, do NOT buy the Weightless Cranberry for the Whole30. I was about to buy it at the grocery store the other day and realized there was "stevia leaf" in the ingredients. Just a reminder to double check your labels, even on anything as innocent-seeming as organic tea! I definitely recommend Traditional Medicinals' Detox tea though for those that may be experiencing some bloat. 

hi all! Hope your first week went well! Mine was great - not tired or feeling bad at all. Today - DAY 8 - though I am a bit tired. It may be that I am working out pretty intensely and not eating enough. My workout is at 6am and I didn't eat before it - and then after was breakfast --- so no additional meal. Perhaps that is why I am fading a bit. I have always worked out hard but maybe I can't do as much while on Whole30. I do get at least 7 hours of sleep. Anyone have any thoughts on being tired on Day 8?

Day 9 here for me.  Energy is starting to come up and it was easier to get up for the gym this morning at 5:00am than it has been recently.  

So far, not having any issues or difficulty with the program itself.  My problem lies in the fact that I am going on date #2 tonight.  This fact alone isn't the big deal, its more that I would rather just be able to enjoy the date without thinking about the program.  Have a glass of wine, not worry about the restaurant we go to, etc.  I told him flat out before date 1 what I was doing and he was respectful of it, and still is, it's more that I wish I didn't have to think about it.  But alas, this is a choice I am making and I actually want to do all 30 days again (this is round 2 for me) I want to get to the benefits I got last round of doing this.  

I re-read the timeline as written in The Whole30 book just for re-assurance that the process is happening the way it should. That was helpful.  Also, I am loving the new cookbook!  

Hoping this 3 day weekend coming up will help push me through the last half of the program with more time for planning and prepping!  

Good day here! I added Natural Calm last night because  of the whole30 email on sleep and because of readings which suggested it for tinnitus. I had a reduction in the weird underwater feeling in my ear last night! It's been better all day. :) Not sure if just the dietary changes or the Natural Calm but I'll take it! See acupuncturist tomorrow. 

Noticed today that I'm not having food cravings. Prior to this I was always thinking about what to eat next, where I was going to get it, etc. It' s not even in my mind. I was late getting home tonight and normally would have been SO hungry. I was good--mild hunger but not feeling mean.

Just enjoyed a delicious meal of tuna salad over huge bed of lettuce and a bowl of bone broth with lots of kimchi. Going to to do some freelance work for an hour and then go to SLEEP. Breakfast and lunch prepped for tomorrow. 

Hey everyone! Great to hear from you all.

Day 9 was a tough one like me; hard to concentrate in my classes because I am so distracted by food dreams. Seriously considered running to get ice cream/cookies/whatever I could get my hands on, multiple times... It was only by God's grace that I didn't. This is opening my eyes to how much I actually am enslaved to my eating habits, and it's so concerning.

Still not sure if I should extend my  W30 because of the sweet potato chips I accidentally ate yesterday.. Moderators? Friends? Any input?

Looking for a bit of encouragement, this is a tough thing for me. It feels so far off. I know there's no easy way out of this, but I just wish there was. This is hard, people. Keep on keeping on. Almost 1/3 done!!

1 hour ago, StrivingToBeSteadfast said:

Hey everyone! Great to hear from you all.

Day 9 was a tough one like me; hard to concentrate in my classes because I am so distracted by food dreams. Seriously considered running to get ice cream/cookies/whatever I could get my hands on, multiple times... It was only by God's grace that I didn't. This is opening my eyes to how much I actually am enslaved to my eating habits, and it's so concerning.

Still not sure if I should extend my  W30 because of the sweet potato chips I accidentally ate yesterday.. Moderators? Friends? Any input?

Looking for a bit of encouragement, this is a tough thing for me. It feels so far off. I know there's no easy way out of this, but I just wish there was. This is hard, people. Keep on keeping on. Almost 1/3 done!!

Whenever you have sugar/carb cravings, eat some protein+fat and give it 30 min, breathe deep and revisit your reasons for committing to these 30 days! I promise you that these default habits will change... it comes down to Consistent Healthy Choices over long periods of TIME... and eating enough protein and fat at every meal/snack so that you stay satiated. That is key! Good luck!

PS If it was me, I'd probably chock the chips mistake up to "learning curve" challenges and just keep going. But I might consider adding a few days on the end too, maybe making that decision when I got there... especially if the sugar/snack dragon was still acting feisty.

On 1/8/2017 at 11:48 AM, Fmad85 said:

You aren't drinking enough water. You need to drink more. I've found I've needed to up my intake almost 50% from normal. 

Got it. I bet I'm not drinking enough water. I am eating starchy veggies about every meal. But I also think I need to up my calories. I'm used to filling them with cheese and grains. Learning curve I guess. 

Today I felt amazing! I was even able to run and do some body weight exercises. Hopefully this is a turning point. Made a curry soup last night with chicken and a bunch of different veggies and had that and salad with a little more chicken for dinner. Have been faced with many temptations and have prevailed! Birthday is coming toward the end of the month. That is the challenge I will have the hardest time with and it probably will be the fact I can't have a cocktail. Sigh. 

Here's a snippet from the recent issue of Wholesome... for those who workout. Remember to keep things in balance and listen to your body:

"Chill Out on the Crazy Workouts. I often see people who start a Whole30 simultaneously also start an intensive, 7-day a week workout plan that includes an hour of strenuous cardio followed by a heavy weightlifting that they’ve never tried before. Those people quickly become overwhelmed. Working out too hard is just as bad as not working out. It can be highly stressful, especially if you’re breaking a sugar addiction, to overdo it at the gym."

I am happily at Day 9 - wow!  Survived a plane trip from London to Los Angeles, survived a 36-hour emergency veterinarian shift.  My best friend brought me whole30 meals to help me stay compliant.  I'm looking forward to this next week to continue the success - this is historically the week that I fall off the wagon, yet I feel no urge to do so.

Archived