January 2nd start date

calibilly

11 hours ago, sunnytropic said:

Morning everyone! Day 10- we made it to double digits!

Yesterday was the first day I didn't really *enjoy* the meals I had for lunch or dinner. They were fine just nothing exciting. I need to plan/prep better for next week, I've been spending way too much time each morning cooking breakfast and getting my lunch together.

Also had my first food dream last night- dreamed I ate something non-compliant by accident and spit it out. Haha.

Feeling better/more enthusiastic this morning. Might be a late night at work so I brought dinner just in case.

Yea I wasn't wowed by my dinner tonight. I was full and now an hour later I'm hungry again. Haven't had enough tonight. 

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long day. I seem to be energetic at work but tired at night. Sleep has been good but I am waking more at night but go right back to sleep. Dreaming more (or realizing I'm dreaming) but nothing too crazy. I feel less achey and almost looser in the joints, less stiff like they are getting lubricated. Not craving stuff as much as just sometimes wish eating wasn't an effort though I don't really desire to eat the goldfish crackers my hubby whipped out in the car in front of me while we were driving. Luckily he had an apple for me to munch as I really wanted to crunch something and my options were limited. I need to really sit down and strategize meals a little better though I did cut everything up ahead on Sunday this week but still find myself cutting and chopping something each night. 

Tonight I made up a version of lettuce wraps with chicken, celery,peppers, mushrooms, water chestnuts, green onions, garlic, fresh ginger and five spice powder with a little coconut milk for moisture in green leaf lettuce. It was pretty good. I had two wraps and was full. An hour later I was hungry again so needed some fruit and more protein. I'm struggling getting enough of everything because I get full then an hour later I get hungry again. But not always. So I think I just need to eat a bit more. 

I need some advice on pre-work out fuel  how much and what. someone mentioned olives which I hate.  I tried a bit of turkey the other day and I kept belching it after my run. what are others eating?

big breakfast this morning (2 pieces of fritata*, 2 slices of bacon, 2 roast potatos,a tomato, with roasted red pepper sauce, and a half bowl of melons and grapes, all with black coffee), probably why I still haven't had lunch yet (a bag of carrots, brocolli, and cauliflower, steamed, and a tin of pilchards in tomato sauce, with olive oil)

Feeling generally happy, but felt happier yesterday for some reason.  The wife says I'm happier, so that's an NSV, haven't noticed any other NSVs yet, but then since doing W20 ish last April I've pretty much stayed nearly on track 80% ish up until Christmas, so I'm coming at this from a good place, rather than from terrible eating habits like some people used to have.

*fritata was onion, garlic, brussells spouts, olives, leftover chicken, some bacon pieces, some red pepper, some brocolli, all fried in olive oil, put in a pan, covered with 10 eggs whisked, into the oven for 20 minutes, then when cool cut up into 12 pieces, each about 2" square

I feel mostly good but also a little weary of the restrictions (and we're only 1/3 of the way through).  It will be important for me, in the coming days, to look those weary feelings square in the face, acknowledge them, sit with them, examine them and figure out where they're coming from.  "The known misery is always preferable to the unknown joy"  I believe this falls into that category.  I wasn't happy with how I felt or how my body looked but it was comfortable.  I want this to become the new comfortable.  I want this to be what I go back to for comfort, sanity, health, healing.  I want to make Whole30 my new normal.  

Let's rock this day #11 people!  

Day 11 here! In my mind I rationalize it as almost done with the second week which means we're almost halfway there. And I feel like we just started so making it through feels like its going to be a breeze. Right?...Right. 

We didn't plan or buy enough groceries for the whole week this week so we've kind of run out. My breakfast this morning was a fruit cup and hard boiled eggs from the cafeteria. Although I did scope out the grill where they make food and I think I could make a veggie omelet work.

NSV's...having a lack of a plan or groceries but still making a meal at home last night out of what we had. Usually we would have just gone out especially to a bar to watch the basketball game. Also, I bought a pair of dress pants for work before the holidays online. They were too tight but I didn't want to have to ship them back so I kept them with the old adage "I will lose some weight and then these will fit." Most of the time I never lose weight and they never fit and they sit in the closet but I tried them on this morning and they fit!

@Anissa I had that problem too and I have found that adding more protein and fat to each meal has helped. Yesterday for breakfast I had two fried eggs over a sausage, potato, pepper, carrot hash at 8:30 which kept me full until about 12:30. Lunch was leftover meatballs with tomato sauce over sweet potato noodles. Then dinner at about 6 of two Applegate hot dogs, broccoli and an apple with almond butter (we were desperate and lazy) and a cup of peppermint tea before bed. 

Day 11! The farthest I have ever made it my Whole 30 attempts. :) 

But today is really, really, really pushing my resolve to not eat everything. First, my office had a breakfast party, complete with gourmet donuts and croissants. Follow that up with the fact that my boss literally forgot my name as he congratulated my on two-year work anniversary. (So nice to be appreciated!) Then my computer crashed without saving my documents, when suddenly my husband called to say he has a friend coming in from out of town and asking if he can stay with us for a few days. 

Sorry to whine, but it's just so overwhelming, and normally I'd be face-planted into something sweet or breaded or alcoholic. But I can do this!

On 1/11/2017 at 0:11 PM, iteach said:

Wow! I'm impressed with the time!  And curious to find out what Orange Theory Fitness is. 

It's a 1 hour group high intensity interval training class that involves treadmills (optional eliptical or bike), rowing machines and free weights.  Check it out at www.orangetheoryfitness.com  you get your first session free then  there are various packages.  Theoretically supposed to continue to burn calaries up to 36 hours after the workout.  I'm 56 and thought I'd be the only old lady in the class but there are all ages and levels of fitness.  The instructor always gives modified versions of the floor work.

I signed up for a 6:15 workout next week.  I'll be able to get to work on time but not entirely sure I'll want to wake up that early.  We'll see.  

@Oh the Irony I'm feeling the days 11&12 being hard but I'm pushing through it, hope you are too.  Good for you for catching the rice bran oil. My co-worker brought in avocado chicken salad and offered me some and I read the label first only to find soybean oil and sugar.  So glad I looked first.  

3 hours ago, Karen Twin-Cities said:

@AnissaDay 11 here! In my mind I rationalize it as almost done with the second week which means we're almost halfway there. And I feel like we just started so making it through feels like its going to be a breeze. Right?...Right.

Funny how our brains work sometimes, eh?  I wonder if the "we're almost done" outlook is related to other ways of looking at the world?
Lumpers vs. splitters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpers_and_splitters
Similarities vs. differences: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/smart-relationships/201310/seeking-similarities-over-differences
(those are just 2 random links to illustrate the concepts)

@tiffnoelle Hope you're feeling back on top of things.  How are you set up for meals over the weekend? Is your husband doing Whole30 with ya?

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people with not enough groceries to make it through the week.

On top of that it's a busy week at work for me (accounting manager during year end close) and I knew last night would be a later night. Despite the opportunity to order dinner for free from work (nice job perk) I brought a compliant meal from home.

None of my meals "wowed" me yesterday and I had the same thing lunch today. One thing I've noticed is despite not being "wowed" I have still been very satiated and not tempted to cheat.

Definitely feeling better today than yesterday even though I didn't sleep as well. I did do a quick 20 min basement workout with dumbells and even had a PWO of a few bites of chicken. I know I should have more but I'm just not used to it.

Ugh now someone is eating Fritos in the office near me and they smell AMAZING. Time for my usual afternoon snack of a hard boiled egg & clementine!

6 hours ago, Julzology said:

It's a 1 hour group high intensity interval training class that involves treadmills (optional eliptical or bike), rowing machines and free weights.  Check it out at www.orangetheoryfitness.com  you get your first session free then  there are various packages.  Theoretically supposed to continue to burn calaries up to 36 hours after the workout.  I'm 56 and thought I'd be the only old lady in the class but there are all ages and levels of fitness.  The instructor always gives modified versions of the floor work.

I signed up for a 6:15 workout next week.  I'll be able to get to work on time but not entirely sure I'll want to wake up that early.  We'll see.  

@Oh the Irony

That sounds like the most amazing workout ever! I'm very impressed by your stamina to be able to keep up with it...and enjoy it! Unfortunately, I live in a very urban area and don't have one of those facilities near me. We do have quite a few 24-hour gyms though. I just don't want to pay the $$$ they want each month to be a part of it just yet. I've got my beloved treadmill, free weights, and DVDs at home...and should probably see how I could do a similar circuit training from home. Thanks for the information....and motivation!

Day 11....I'm reminding myself that this is a way of eating that I need to keep following. The emails and Facebook posts are simply amazing and so very helpful!

I've been able to get in a 30 minute exercise routine of a mile on the treadmill and 100 crunchers----mix bag of reverse, normal, and leg lifts. 

We had another snow day today (sorry to sound like a broken record), and we hope to go tomorrow to get in at least 1 more day this week.

I'm so very thankful that I've chosen to eliminate certain foods from my daily diet and started this way of eating, because I'm not feeling like I'm in "surviver mode". Yesterday, I had a very difficult emotional roller coaster day dealing with financial aide for our oldest daughter...it ended with the university's financial aide department admitting they owe my daughter over $4,000, and the administrator apologizing for the difficulties it had caused---the list is VERY long. 

Normally...I'd hit the wine bottle...and hit it hard. But, instead I drank about two cups of black coffee....in my big coffee cup, while my husband and daughter enjoyed their celebratory drink of choice. Powering through...one.day.at.a.time.

On 1/11/2017 at 10:56 AM, StrivingToBeSteadfast said:

Hello friends, need some dietary help!!!

(Disclaimer. This may be a bit TMI, my apologies)

I've had some major issues with loose stool. At first I thought it was from too many nuts,then tried to consume more potatoes to account for it. No luck.

Any good foods to eat to help with regulatory bathroom habits?? 

Thanks for any input in advance!

I've had the same "issue"....and think to myself, man, I've got a lot of <BEEP> in my system! I've already been reading past posts from mod's and on website that this is "normal" because the body is getting rid of the back up foods and "stuff" that it's been holding for a long time. Mine was a bit more looser during my time of the month, since I tend to retain water like the Hoover Dam. Let's hope this too shall pass (pun intended)..and things will be come normal. 

Today I had the most beautiful, decadent cupcakes waved under my nose at work. I'm not much of a sweet eater but those would entice anyone. I grabbed my almonds and walked away. Wasn't as hard as it sounds because we are all IRON WILLED! Right? Two late nights and no workouts. Didn't get home from work until after 7 and had to feed the troops. Maybe tomorrow. The only bad thing is I had a weird injury this summer called sinus tarsi syndrome in my ankle and I couldn't run for months. It's been better but the last couple days it's been hurting more. Not sure why but I was hoping the reduced inflammation would help. Doesn't it say you tend to heal quicker? I wanted to do a 10k in another week and that looks out. That was my birthday gift. Sigh 

2 hours ago, iteach said:

I've had the same "issue"....and think to myself, man, I've got a lot of <BEEP> in my system! I've already been reading past posts from mod's and on website that this is "normal" because the body is getting rid of the back up foods and "stuff" that it's been holding for a long time. Mine was a bit more looser during my time of the month, since I tend to retain water like the Hoover Dam. Let's hope this too shall pass (pun intended)..and things will be come normal. 

I've noticed my BM looks odd. I wondered if it was old gross stuff in the bowls. 

Hello All! Happy day 11 :)

I'll tell you what, the book "Food Freedom Forever" is insanely good & so worth the purchase (if you're like me & your eating habits are directly linked to your stress/mood/etc). It's been a huge reminder of why I'm doing this.

Ironically, tonight was an emotional rollercoaster. I had a hangout with some new friends, and after leaving, I over-thought & kept thinking I did so many things wrong ("self-centered", "not funny", etc...)... I came home and, without even realizing it, went into total stress-eating mode. Almond butter (straight from the package), and a lemon lara bar... As I was elbow deep in these "technically compliant treats", I realized that,

a) My digestive system is going to be (once again) completely whacked tomorrow due to the nut content and

b ) I was eating out of shame and guilt for the way I'd acted, using food as comfort (even compliant food) to the extreme.

It's in moments like these where I hit a crossroads. When I completely want to give up because I am frustrated with myself, but then I am reminded that this is a prime example of how serious this problem is in my life. I haven't given up yet because I'm terrified of who I'll be if I do. I'm terrified that I'd never stop, and I'd always be enslaved to food and being bound my my emotional attachment.

I know this is a complete rant, and it'a--okay if you dont read this, I just had to get it out.

Thankful for this community. You all inspire me & reflect who I want to be. 11 days down, 19 to go. We got this :)

5 minutes ago, StrivingToBeSteadfast said:

Hello All! Happy day 11 :)

I'll tell you what, the book "Food Freedom Forever" is insanely good & so worth the purchase (if you're like me & your eating habits are directly linked to your stress/mood/etc). It's been a huge reminder of why I'm doing this.

Ironically, tonight was an emotional rollercoaster. I had a hangout with some new friends, and after leaving, I over-thought & kept thinking I did so many things wrong ("self-centered", "not funny", etc...)... I came home and, without even realizing it, went into total stress-eating mode. Almond butter (straight from the package), and a lemon lara bar... As I was elbow deep in these "technically compliant treats", I realized that,

a) My digestive system is going to be (once again) completely whacked tomorrow due to the nut content and

b ) I was eating out of shame and guilt for the way I'd acted, using food as comfort (even compliant food) to the extreme.

It's in moments like these where I hit a crossroads. When I completely want to give up because I am frustrated with myself, but then I am reminded that this is a prime example of how serious this problem is in my life. I haven't given up yet because I'm terrified of who I'll be if I do. I'm terrified that I'd never stop, and I'd always be enslaved to food and being bound my my emotional attachment.

I know this is a complete rant, and it'a--okay if you dont read this, I just had to get it out.

Thankful for this community. You all inspire me & reflect who I want to be. 11 days down, 19 to go. We got this :)

The fact you realized what you were doing this is movement in the right direction, growth. We are our own worst enemy. Stay the course you are stronger than you think and you can conquer the hold of food. Change the internal dialogue to true, positive statements. We are here listening. 

Good Morning Everyone. Starting day 13 and feeling better everyday. I usually set my alarm clock for 6am but this morning my eyes popped open at 5:25am and i could not go back to sleep. I guess the Tiger blood is kicking in. I find myself not hungry at all. I have to make myself eat. Not having any cravings which is good. Will be going to lunch with a coworker today and am determined to stay compliant. Have a great day 13!!!

On 1/11/2017 at 11:56 AM, StrivingToBeSteadfast said:

I've had some major issues with loose stool. At first I thought it was from too many nuts,then tried to consume more potatoes to account for it. No luck

On my first whole30 I discovered that coconut milk and almond milk were causing me issues. I'm not doing those this time around. Also, the bulletproof coffee, I guess from the fat/oil. As far as foods to help, apples might help and also bananas.

10 hours ago, Anissa said:

Not sure why but I was hoping the reduced inflammation would help. Doesn't it say you tend to heal quicker?

Kinda sorta. Inflammation is a response to damage, where the body sends blood and fluid to sites for repair purposes. Eating Whole30 we reduce systemic inflammation and so our internal resources aren't diverted unnecessarily, so to speak, and then true injuries can get the full attention of our immune system. But an injured ankle is still an injured ankle, so it depends on how bad it was.

@wsporty01 that's good, actually --- we wouldn't want to do Day 13 *on* Friday the 13th! :ph34r:

I've been feeling sorry for myself a little lately.  Not a lot but a kind of inner whining about what I don't get to eat and drink (mostly drink) while on the whole 30.  

I'm going to turn that attitude around 180 degrees.  I've been looking things backwards.  1.  No one is holding a gun to my head, this is my decision, this is my body, this is my personal health experiment.  2.  It's not about the nos it's about the yeses.  Yes, I feel good.  Yes, I can already feel changes in my body.  Yes, I feel strong and healthy.  

I've been conscious of my weight since I was a little girl.  Spent my teen aged years trying to get down to below 120  (which I accomplished exactly 1 time).  Spent my 30s trying to get down to the 130s.  Spent my 40s trying to get below 150 and here I am at age 156 at 183 lbs when I started this (I'm 5'6") trying to get back to what?  A number, it's always a number.  It's been a number on the scale as long as I can remember.  I have gained a decade of weight each decade of my life it seems.  It's time for a change.  

I have not weighed since I started and I'm not going to.  I'm due for my annual physical so I'm going to schedule it for Mid February when I'm finished with re-introduction.  

My body is strong, flexible, healthy and has served me very well these 56 years.  I need to learn to love it and stop pinning a number on it like a scarlet letter.  

Well, I've been VERY haphazard these last two days, just not wanting to eat but then after mealtimes kind of extending the meals with second helpings I don't need.  I'm not doing very well I'm afraid.  All my foods have been compliant but I'm struggling.  Can I turn this thing around?  I want to renew my dedication today, and regain my initial enthusiasm.  It was so fun that first week!  I guess I'm a little angry at some things:  I want to clear the pantry of my husband's and daughter's foods that I stare at daily and can't have.  I want to be in my exercise classes or jogging the trails, but this ankle needs rest.  Maybe this is my kill-everything moment?

I am sorry to be such a downer today... On the plus side, no sugar cravings and I am easily passing on sweets and alcohol.  My energy at work has been great and I've felt clear-headed and mindful with my clients too.  I think I'll revisit the NSV's checklist and remember why I'm doing this!  

@kirkor I am definitely feeling more on top of things. Despite the stress yesterday, I stayed compliant, and resisted trying to solve everything with food. (Which really solves nothing, as I'm learning.) My husband isn't doing Whole 30, but we always have Whole 30 compliant dinners (the only meal we have together) and he eats very clean, so he's a big help. My only big problem is thinking of creative ways to get veggies in, as they're not my favorite. 

Archived