January 2nd start date

calibilly

So, I think I may have found a NSV. I thought maybe my skin was looking better, but wondered if I was just willing it to be better. :) So I asked my very honest daughter if she could tell any difference. She said it did look like my discoloration was lighter. Yay! Of course, I have also started new skincare about a month before starting Whole30, but either way, I'll take better skin. 

Question- I'm finding that if I stop eating breakfast when I feel full, I will be hungry before lunch. If I force myself to eat all my food, I will not get hungry until lunch time. I know we are supposed to listen to our bodies' cues, but I also know we are supposed to eat enough to last us until the next meal without snacking. I only notice this in the morning, so I'm not sure if it's just because it's early morning? 

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Whole30Peach said:

That's the thing. My diet was awful! I would be embarrassed to tell you all the kind of junk I ate on a consistent basis. I have learned a lot and do plan to stick to similar eating habits after the 30 days. 

I'm not talking about diet because lord knows mine was HORRENDOUS before this W30. We were driving back from NYE on the Sunday before we started and got McD's (with a sundae for dessert). Which is why my second week was just terrible with abdominal pain from what I assume was detox. 

I mean for me, I'm not particularly overweight (above normal unfortunately), my numbers are all good (cholesterol etc.)  and no major health issues. IMO and what I have seen from other W30er's it takes a little longer to see "results." 

NSV's are there and I'm glad that you are seeing that your skin is looking healthier. But there are a lot of things that can be NSV's. Someone on this thread said the other day that it's difficult to see some NSV's because its from the inside-out. I think a lot of times we are dictated by other peoples opinions, did my husband complement me when I spent the extra time to get ready, did I get enough likes on the photo I posted, do I look as good as my friend/model/random person on the street? For me W30 isn't just about changing what I eat for 30 days but also a chance to reflect on how I feel and what makes my body feel good. 

As far as eating between meals, I would eat until you are full not uncomfortably full. Wait 15-20 mins to see if you are still hungry before eating more. And if you are hungry again before what we have specified as "lunch time" (noon) then eat your lunch. For me, I eat breakfast around 7:30 am and I can't make it to noon. So I will eat my lunch at 11:30 and that will keep me full until preWO or dinner at about 5:30. You just have to find the balance on what your body is telling you for when to eat. Additionally, sometimes our body's will mask thirst as hunger. Are you drinking enough water? I have a 32 oz bottle at my desk and my goal every day is to drink one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Then at home or during a WO I probably get another 32 oz. 

Hanging in pretty well these last couple of days.  I think I'm finding a rhythm and not obsessing much.  Eating compliantly feels like it's becoming more of a habit now.  

@Anissa as a bodyworker I see hip pain in folks who've overstretched ligaments (as opposed to muscles) which leads to strain.  Then the muscles sieze up around the strain.  May or may not be related to Whole30 but if you've been feeling looser and looser it may be easier to take stretching too far.  

Life has been super crazy this week (and money is SUPER tight), so this week has been a lot of slow cooker meals catered to what we have available in the freezer. Tonight is slow-cooker curried chicken breasts with cauliflower rice and diced sweet potatoes :) 

Probably having a simple fish, potato, and steamed broccoli dinner tomorrow since we have SO MUCH fish in the freezer.

Anyone else run into issues involving money and sticking to the plan? I shop pretty frugally (I only spent $50 last week on groceries cuz I had a lot of meat stocked in the freezer), but I feel like being young, it's tough to maintain this diet with limited resources. Luckily, a couple weeks ago, my local Aldi store had 1/2 off and $1 off meats and I stocked up.

Anyone have any other tricks to saving some money? This week, I'm going through weekly adds and catering my list off of what's on special. That and selecting recipes with limited ingredients (none of that 20 ingredient BS). I even make sure to bring reusable bags to save the $0.20 my grocery store reimburses haha. Oh! And I'm going to the other grocery store tonight because they provide 10% off on HealthMarket items (such as my kombucha, organic produce, and EPIC bars!)

21 hours ago, Anissa said:

I'm not sure I want to reintroduce most of the missing foods. Anyone else feel like this?

Ya, especially when you read the cases that are made in the books and manifestos (dairy, legumes, etc.) for their removal in the first place, it kinda makes oyu wonder why you'd ever want to reintro them at all.

The best that can be said for a lot of this stuff is that it isn't an outright negative. Do a Whole30, have a successful reintro, realize that you don't have a upset stomach or itchiness or poor sleep or pain or whatever .. ok, fine, those items are neutral for you.  They're a positive in the sense that they provide variety I suppose.

You might enjoy a "slow roll reintro" where you don't go out of your way to reintro foods on a schedule, but just wait as they come up throughout life and you decide you want to give it a go.  Maybe do a specific reintro of stuff like soy, carageenan, gluten, and corn --- things that can sneak into a lot of foods so you don't have to be as hyper-vigilant about reading labels and asking questions at restaurants.

4 hours ago, PhysicsHippie said:

Anyone else run into issues involving money and sticking to the plan? I shop pretty frugally (I only spent $50 last week on groceries cuz I had a lot of meat stocked in the freezer), but I feel like being young, it's tough to maintain this diet with limited resources. Luckily, a couple weeks ago, my local Aldi store had 1/2 off and $1 off meats and I stocked up.

Anyone have any other tricks to saving some money? This week, I'm going through weekly adds and catering my list off of what's on special. That and selecting recipes with limited ingredients (none of that 20 ingredient BS). I even make sure to bring reusable bags to save the $0.20 my grocery store reimburses haha. Oh! And I'm going to the other grocery store tonight because they provide 10% off on HealthMarket items (such as my kombucha, organic produce, and EPIC bars!)

See my Cheapskate thread linked in my signature below, and here are a couple other good ones:
http://forum.whole30.com/topic/21528-affording-whole30whole9-lifestyle-on-a-budget/
http://forum.whole30.com/topic/35390-whole30-on-a-budget/

8 hours ago, Nira81 said:

Hanging in pretty well these last couple of days.  I think I'm finding a rhythm and not obsessing much.  Eating compliantly feels like it's becoming more of a habit now.  

@Anissa as a bodyworker I see hip pain in folks who've overstretched ligaments (as opposed to muscles) which leads to strain.  Then the muscles sieze up around the strain.  May or may not be related to Whole30 but if you've been feeling looser and looser it may be easier to take stretching too far.  

@Nira81 this is a longtime issue with piriformis and it comes and goes. My SI joint gets locked up sometimes. Also I developed sinus tarsi syndrome in my right ankle and it has been bugging me some too. But overall the muscle tightness is MUCH improved. I am careful stretching. But I can see over doing it in yoga. I felt so much loser and able to get into poses better last time I went to class. 

23 hours ago, Anissa said:

I'm not sure I want to reintroduce most of the missing foods. Anyone else feel like this?

I am realizing that I'm not sure I need half n half in my coffee.  I've gotten used to coconut milk.  I'm not really sure that I have any great desire to reintroduce legumes (except maybe soy sauce). But grains and gluten I'm going to want to have again.  I think that I'll need to be much more moderate.  And I do miss wine but not as much as I thought I would. 

Day 18!

I've noticed the last two days I have had more energy in the afternoon and not felt like I need a caffeine pick me up.

More than half way through It Starts with Food. It's making me question what I want to re-introduce as well. Like others I could pretty much care less about legumes but definitely want to try out dairy (coffee/lattes, cheese) and grains (both gluten and non).

I am a huge craft beer person and want to be able to enjoy that again as well. A lot of times if I was having one during the week at home with/after dinner my husband and I would share a 12 oz bottle. We like a lot of the heavier/higher alcohol beers so this was working well for us to be able to have a taste without going overboard.

21 hours ago, Karen Twin-Cities said:

I'm not talking about diet because lord knows mine was HORRENDOUS before this W30. We were driving back from NYE on the Sunday before we started and got McD's (with a sundae for dessert). Which is why my second week was just terrible with abdominal pain from what I assume was detox. 

I mean for me, I'm not particularly overweight (above normal unfortunately), my numbers are all good (cholesterol etc.)  and no major health issues. IMO and what I have seen from other W30er's it takes a little longer to see "results." 

NSV's are there and I'm glad that you are seeing that your skin is looking healthier. But there are a lot of things that can be NSV's. Someone on this thread said the other day that it's difficult to see some NSV's because its from the inside-out. I think a lot of times we are dictated by other peoples opinions, did my husband complement me when I spent the extra time to get ready, did I get enough likes on the photo I posted, do I look as good as my friend/model/random person on the street? For me W30 isn't just about changing what I eat for 30 days but also a chance to reflect on how I feel and what makes my body feel good. 

As far as eating between meals, I would eat until you are full not uncomfortably full. Wait 15-20 mins to see if you are still hungry before eating more. And if you are hungry again before what we have specified as "lunch time" (noon) then eat your lunch. For me, I eat breakfast around 7:30 am and I can't make it to noon. So I will eat my lunch at 11:30 and that will keep me full until preWO or dinner at about 5:30. You just have to find the balance on what your body is telling you for when to eat. Additionally, sometimes our body's will mask thirst as hunger. Are you drinking enough water? I have a 32 oz bottle at my desk and my goal every day is to drink one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Then at home or during a WO I probably get another 32 oz. 

Thank you so much for your response! I'm not particularly overweight either, but I'm at the top end of what is considered a healthy weight for me. I just don't feel good at this weight. Also, like you, my numbers are all in the good range. 

I appreciate your thoughts on the NSVs as well. I noticed yesterday that even if I eat a large meal now on W30, I feel very full, but not miserable like I would before. I am able to resist the "bad" food more easily. Goodness knows I'm being tempted. My teenage son and husband are big snackers, but I can look at the bag of sour patch kids and not pop a few in my mouth, which I always did before. 

I may need to space my meals a little closer. As for water, I do great at work, but I have trouble when I'm at home and on weekends. I get busy and forget. It's not as easy to have it right next to me as it is at work. 

1 hour ago, Whole30Peach said:

As for water, I do great at work, but I have trouble when I'm at home and on weekends. I get busy and forget

There are a couple of apps out there that you can use to schedule a reminder.....

Day 18! This is the farthest I've ever made it in a Whole30, and I'm seeing a lot of NSV! I'm still seeing some breakouts, sadly, but I have a lot more energy and my nails are growing like crazy. And my clothes are fitting quite nicely. :) 

I have to say, I'm surprised that I don't miss dairy or alcohol (?!) at all. I miss legumes, though, which may be the first thing I re-intro. 

Good morning day 18! My husband is out of town this weekend on a hockey trip with the boys. He has been doing W30 with me the whole time but went into it knowing he wasn't going to try to do it this weekend. Which is fine that is his choice. I'm sure he will be having lots of beer and cheese curds. 

I'm excited to have the place to myself. Watch all the shows on Netflix that he doesn't like. Take an extra long bath. Do some shopping this weekend. And make this Hawaiian Chicken sheet pan meal that he didn't want to try because he doesn't think pineapple would be good cooked with chicken. (!?!)

At the same time I'm kind of like well if he isn't sticking to it then whats one glass of wine in the bath going to hurt. But I am doing this for myself not him. I am already seeing my body change and my pants fit looser and I don't want to throw that all away.

Happy Day 18 everyone!! I am so, so, so proud of us for not giving up on this.

Looking for some input! Still struggling not to eat Larabars/Nuts (really looking for some easy, on-the-go options.. I dont know if I'm eating these to stop sugar cravings or actually nourish my body, but dont want to risk it). Still trying to be better about understanding my triggers and my feelings towards foods.

Sometimes I'm kept up at night thinking about baked goods-- How silly is that?!? I can't seem to get them out of my brain. Only at night though. Trying to understand why, but it's so challenging when your body convinces you that they are a necessary part of life.

Moderators, maybe you can step in here, but I'm considering doing a W60, and I was wondering if anyone has any input on the benefits of that? Yes, it may make February a bit more inconvenient, but I am concerned with all (!!!) of the "special events" and busy schedule, I will loose my control and my Food Freedom- which I want more than anything right now. If anyone has any good reintroduction strategies so that I dont get in over my head, or if you recommend doing a W60, any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated!

Good work friends :)

3 hours ago, tiffnoelle said:

Day 18! This is the farthest I've ever made it in a Whole30, and I'm seeing a lot of NSV! I'm still seeing some breakouts, sadly, but I have a lot more energy and my nails are growing like crazy. And my clothes are fitting quite nicely. :) 

I have to say, I'm surprised that I don't miss dairy or alcohol (?!) at all. I miss legumes, though, which may be the first thing I re-intro. 

My nails are growing quickly too!

Had my first "restaurant" meal on Whole30 today! Had a lunch mtg and didn't want to draw attention to myself. Saw the menu last night and called the restaurant up to see how their grilled chicken was prepared...surprise...seasoning had brown sugar. Luckily they use olive oil at least. So I got the salad with hard boiled egg, avocado, unseasoned chicken, baby greens, and oil & vinegar (plain, no seasonings in it) for dressing. It was supposed to have quinoa but I asked them to leave it off. Success!

@jmcbn you kindly offered to let us post some meals and you'd give feedback. (BLESS YOU!)

Day 17 Yesterday: (tired/cranky but with a bit more energy)

5:30am Pre WO: hard boiled egg

7:00 am Post WO: Jerky few pieces (BILTONG -whole30compliant) and 1 handful of nuts (After which I read no nuts for post WO) lol

7:20am Breakfast: 2/3 cup turkey chili with veggies in it...1/3 cucumber...1/2 banana...1/2 large sweet potato

10am Was really hungry so had an RX bar..my stomach feels like is gnawing itself and feels better when food is in it.

11am Lunch: salad with 2 hardboiled eggs (handful of spinach, cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, few olives and a few pumpkin seeds - and 1 serving of Trader Joes Quacamole (like wholly guacamole) - 1/2 large apple) plus 1/2 cup beef chili with veggies in it

5pm Dinner: turkey burger (plain), green beans, similar salad to lunch with the guacamole and 1/2 apple. 30 minutes later still hungry so another RX bar. 

DAY 18 TODAY:

5:30am Pre WO: hard boiled egg

7:00 am Post WO: Jerky few pieces (BILTONG -whole30compliant) and few bites of sweet potato

7:20am Breakfast: 2/3 cup turkey chili with veggies in it...1/3 cucumber...1/2 banana...1/2 large sweet potato

11am Lunch: salad with 2 hardboiled eggs (handful of spinach, cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, few olives and a few pumpkin seeds - and 1 serving of Trader Joe's Quacamole (like wholly guacamole) - 1/2 large apple) plus 1 cup beef chili with veggies in it.

It is 2:35 and I feel hungry. I used to have almost triple the protein I have now via pea-protein shakes. I wonder if that is why I am so hungry all the time. Can I drink bone broth maybe when I am hungry like this? 

I started getting some energy today but still not feeling 100% myself. THAT SAID...I pulled 25% more wattage on the rowing machine than I ever have. A new personal record for me. And someone at the gym complimented me asking if I'd lost weight saying I looked very fit! :) Now I just want to feel less cranky. But as has been said here - it is not all about food. Lot of stress at home.

Thanks so much and congrats to all my fellow W30ers!

Still in a bad mood.  I'm at that point where I feel like the rest of my life is suffering for me to do the whole30.  Like no clean underwear because what little routine habits I had for laundry are gone.  Feels like the whole time is spent on food. 

did have another successful "eating Out' meal from PCC hot food bar. they had chicken thighs and their potatoes were hot, or their checkout line was shorter.

CaseyLee WTG on gym

sunnytropic good on the eating out

Striving to be steadfast  when you say "on the go" how on the go are you?  driving?  or taking a break somewhere that you can open a container? something you can plan for or more like being stuck someplace 2 hours later than you planned?

Karen, nice cup of tea for your bath?

@CaseyLee does your breakfast have any fat other than what's in the meat? Maybe add some avocado to go with the chili?

Just had a dinner fail. I had ground chicken to use up and tried to make baked meatballs with it and they were SO DRY. I've made them that way before with ground turkey (although maybe it wasn't the super lean one) and they turned out OK so I don't know. I made marinara to top them with and that was good at least but it didn't cover up the dryness enough.

Oh well. Defrosting a Butcherbox rib eye for tomorrow night...hard to mess that up :) 

Ugh I have some rash on my arm and face doc not sure it's not shingles!?  That's what I get my birthday weekend rash or shingles? Not feeling too hot and schedule didn't allow a workout. @CaseyLee how often do you do your workout?

Made stuffed peppers tonight and this week I've also had coconut curry chicken and the shepherds pie. All were absolutely fantastic! The meal prep is labor intensive and that is making me crazy. I'm never done in the kitchen until 9 pm. But the outcome is worth it. I am also thinking of extending to w60 but maybe I will just modify reintro to just be certain things. No dairy or grains...hmmmm don't know

still going strong - not feeling the tiger blood yet, but I didn't last time either.  I am finding it easier to manage the 98 steps up to the fourth floor at work, and doing that more often than taking the lift.  I've not noticed much about my wife either, but maybe that's because I see her everyday, so little changes I might not notice.  we'll see tonight, as her dad is staying over, so he might notice a difference.  He'll probably bring a bottle of wine with him, so him and his friend will have to share that themselves.

I'm about to go out for lunch, first time in a restraunt, so hopefully can find something compliant...

I was out last night and saw a bunch of people I hadn't seen since September/October.  I got quite a few compliments, one person even said I looked radient and asked me what my secret was.  Whole30!  

I'm being so careful this weekend.  In 2014 I did a Whole30 and bailed on day #20.  I feel like if I can make it past that point I'm destined to finish the job.  

I have mapped out my reintroduction on a calendar so I know exactly when I'm reintroducing each food group.  

Alcohol, I'm so surprised I am not missing it more.  That's what tripped me up last time, I was out with friends and just wanted a cocktail.  This time, I've been out twice now and my husband has opened bottles of wine at home and I've not been tempted.  It's strange but I feel good. 

I still don't sleep through the night.  Last night was a late one, didn't go to bed until midnight.  Woke up at 3:00 and then again at 4:48 then again when my alarm went off at 6:00 but I didn't actually get out of bed until 6:45.  I would love to figure out why I'm not sleeping through the night but maybe this is my normal?  

12 hours ago, Anissa said:

Made stuffed peppers tonight and this week I've also had coconut curry chicken and the shepherds pie. All were absolutely fantastic! The meal prep is labor intensive and that is making me crazy. I'm never done in the kitchen until 9 pm. But the outcome is worth it. I am also thinking of extending to w60 but maybe I will just modify reintro to just be certain things. No dairy or grains...hmmmm don't know

Anissa, I know what you're saying about the meal prep! I find I go a little crazy the first couple weeks doing ALL of the meal prep. The stuffed peppers and the shepherd's pie from the Whole30 book are my FAVE!

If you're feeling burnt out, my best suggestion is to maybe do some simpler meals in between the fancier Whole30 cookbook meals. I've started doing a marinated meat, steamed veggies, and 1/2 a sweet potato (or cauliflower rice) in between large meal prep meals. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the kitchen, BUT I work a full time job and I'm studying for a huge exam for 2-3 hours a night. Ain't nobody got time for 4 hours of meal prep per night! BUT if you enjoy all of that, all the more power to ya :)

Also, I'm doing a Whole60! I'm traveling for two weeks for work in the middle of February, so that will be interesting. BUT I'm determined to make it work!

@Anissa @PhysicsHippie feeling the same way about meal prep! Doing a simple meal (steak, roasted asparagus, smashed potatoes) tonight but have some recipes from the Whole30 cookbook flagged, the roasted chicken thighs with spicy cherry sauce caught my eye and I've been thinking since I started this a Sheperds Pie would be a good meal! I'll be sure to get everything I need to make those this weekend.

went to a Turkish place.  Had a grilled salmon fillet with salad.  I asked that the salmon was plain, no seasoning or marinade, and to leave off the dressing - turns out that the dressing was just balsamic and olive oil.  they still turned up with bread a salad and pickles first, and the dish came with a plate of rice and peas, with some other kind of grain with mushrooms in, which I didn't touch.  I usually eat a lot of the onion pickle stuff, but I have no idea what's in the sauce so didn't this time.  And I normally have a bottle of Effes, but today ordered a large bottle of still mineral water just for me.

Archived