January 2nd start date

calibilly

Day #26 Woohoo!  87% complete

Though my husband keeps reminding me that it's not really over after 30 days because reintroduction is at least another 10 days.  I'm looking forward to the experimental part of this process where I get to reintroduce things and see how I feel.  I'm going to keep up my Whole30 log during that time so I can keep track. 

As of today, I still have my cold and it has completely killed my appetite.  I am just not hungry but I eat when I know I should so I'm not starving.  

I slept through the night last night for the first time in a long, long, long time.  What a nice feeling that is.  A co-worker told me that I should not take Vitamin D at night because it might affect my sleep.  I didn't know that (and haven't tried to verify) but as it happens, I skipped my vitamin D last night.  That could just be coincidence too.  I'm still a little annoyed that this damn head cold is robbing me of my Tiger Blood when I could be really enjoying it.   Had to cancel my last two Orange Theory workouts.  But I feel a definite difference in a number of areas.  I feel smaller.  My belly feels flatter.   A couple of minor skin issues have resolved themselves.  I'm not snacking at night nor do I feel like I want to.   Life is good. 

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I'm posting as a cry for help! I started my Whole 30 on January 2nd and it's my third Whole 30. Previously, I've really enjoyed the experience (after the first week!) and found that I felt enormously better by the end of the 30 days. From these experiences I've made lasting habit changes such as packing a salad for lunch at work each day, skipping processed sugary foods for breakfast and eating a balanced meal and rigorous meal planning. However, at Day  26 this time round I feel little to no difference and I feel completely cheated of the promised tiger blood. I've re-read the list of NSVs from The Whole 30 and aside from sleeping more soundly after a rather sugary Christmas I don't see a marked difference in any of these indicators to my usual habits. As I live in the rural North of England, eating out on the Whole 30 is practically impossible as restaurants are not as willing to accommodate dietary preferences as in the US and I refuse to spend money on a meal I won't enjoy. 

I'm super frustrated about being unable to have date night with my boyfriend (it's rather spoiled when I have to cook and he ends the night washing up), about cooking every single night and struggling to find food on the go due to tiny quantities of sugar or cornstarch. This doesn't feel like food freedom, it feels like food jail and I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

Somebody help me please!

@Jenny29 sorry you are having a rough time. You've made it to day 26 though, there's only a few more days of having to avoid things we might excuse (I'm looking forward to some ketchup on my burgers again!) for minor amounts of non-compliant ingredients. Have you tried prepping more on the weekend? I like to chop up veggies and then I have them ready to throw in a pan to sautee along with my breakfast eggs and meat (usually chicken sausage). My favorites are sweet onions and red peppers.

I don't know that I'd say I'm experiencing "tiger blood" but I have found this entire journey (my 1st) much easier than I was anticipating and have been shocked at how satisfied and satiated I am eating this way.

Today it finally happened though, I got a little tired of eggs. I am in dire need of a grocery run and the only handy protein I had for breakfast this morning was eggs. I've been eating 1-2 along with other meat and veggies but since I didn't have that today I cooked 3 eggs  to put over some roasted brussel sprouts and oh man, that was a little too much for me mentally after how many eggs I've been eating all month!

@Jenny29 It can still be date night even with the cooking and cleaning up if you do it together.  Put some music on and get in the kitchen together.  (you can even dress up like you're going out) Even if he doesn't know how to cook he can help prep, chopping, washing vegetables, peeling, etc.  Do the washing up together and it will be done in half the time then plan an after dinner activity.  You could go out dancing or listen to a band you like or stay in and play games together.  It's too close to the end go give up.  There's a "Whole30 Didn't Work for Me" Blog post or article that I found helpful because last time I did Whole30 I made it 20 days and I would have said the same thing; didn't feel the difference.  But the devil is in the details and upon reflection I saw clearly where I robbed myself of the experience by being flexible about the rules.  My only other suggestion is that a HUGE part of this is the mental game and if you tell yourself that it's something awful to be endured and gotten through then it will be just that.  Take a moment to sit quietly and try to reflect on your thoughts about "food jail" and see if you can't turn those around.  I've had to do that on a daily basis.  Remind myself that this is MY choice, I'm doing this, no one is making me do it, it's MY experiment and I want to see it through, not just 30 days but all the way through re-introduction so I can truly learn about my body and my relationship with food.  Hang in there.  You can totally do this.

I am really annoyed that I'm still sick.  But I am.  Happy that it's Saturday and I don't have to go to work.  I may stay in my jammies all day. We are 90% complete my friends! Woohoo!

Hi all - I've been enjoying reading everyone's experiences and challenges. I posted early in the month with the intention of checking in more but time got away from me!

I started on the 1st so Monday will be day 30 for me. This is my second W30. Around days 16-21 I was feeling crappy, in part because my menstrual cycle came early (birth control mess up, not because of W30). I was feeling bloated and like I was gaining weight. Even though I told myself this experience was not about weight loss for me, the thought of gaining weight was upsetting me. I knew I had gotten away from eating the template, not necessarily enough veggies. I was so close to stepping on the scale around day 20 but decided to follow through.

I'm so glad I did because this week I've felt so, so good. My headaches have completely disappeared and I'm sleeping well. I got to the gym more and that has also had a positive effect on my mindset.  What I've learned from this second round is that I have to trust the process.

I'm starting to look forward to the reintroduction process, because it's something I did not due at all purposefully after my first W30.

TRUST THE PROCESS, yes! Re-intro, yes! Note: With every Whole30 I have done (this is R5 for me), there are ALWAYS people who blow the re-intro process and seriously regret it... DON'T let that be you!!!! You've GOT THIS.

You deserve to benefit from this experience for the long-haul... and that means doing a proper reintro phase so you can identify the foods that your body doesn't like. It means staying connected to your forum group during the process, you need that support! It means learning everything you can in those 10 days (or more if you're doing a slow-roll), and taking notes because your brain will "conveniently" forget, trust me.

Remember that the Whole30 is meant to help you choose a new way of eating for the LONG TERM, a healthier, more wholesome way of nourishing your body... so that you can avoid the fate of chronic disease that plagues our modern lifestyle!! This is the greatest gift of the program. For anyone struggling with the 30 day thing, hanging onto numbers so you can count down the days until you are released from this program, I strongly recommend reading "Food Freedom Forever"... great book with lots of solid advice about how to develop a long-term healthy relationship with food.

Good luck, everyone!!

@Jenny29 You made it so far!  Just a few more days...

I'm thinking of the slow roll reintroduction.  Or should I be more planned?  Some advice might be welcome, @jmcbn are you or another moderator around?  

So if I know already that grains cause my joint pain and I'd like to live grain-free, I'd just not reintroduce those, right?  

But what about sugar?  I want to live mostly sugar free, with the exception of very occasional use in a sauce (same goes for soy).   If I reintroduce sugar in this small amount (because I sure don't  want outright sweets) is a tiny amount enough to test the body's reaction?  

I know there are three days to go but I'm just preparing my mind and planning.  Finally, with alcohol, I'm worried about relaxing around the grain thing when having a drink.  I don't want my hands to hurt anymore from eating breads; I don't want "grain brain."  Guess this comes down to sticking to convictions.    

It's been fun to watch my tastes changing; I had kale drizzled with just some olive oil, salt and pepper with my breakfast eggs today and it was the greatest tasting thing.

Last night I dreamed a bartender served me a margarita.  I'm kind of disappointed that in my dream I didn't turn it down, but funny that this dream-margarita was not even that good! 

46 minutes ago, Nira81 said:

@jmcbn are you or another moderator around?

Yep.

Yeah, if you know already that something is problematic, or you are CERTAIN you'll never eat a certain food again (eg. I can tolerate soy, but chose many years ago not to eat it) there is no need to re-introduce.

Sugar a lot of people choose to leave until the end as they fear it might reignite their cravings, but the order you do your reintro's in is entirely up to you. I'd go with what you believe to be least problematic first, leaving what you believe to be most problematic til last. Or you could go for say dairy as it might make eating out a little easier. Dairy a lot of people like to break down further - so maybe yoghurt & then hard cheeses, and then milk at some point later on.... Legumes also get broken down further - peanuts & soy being given separate trials...

Alcohol may not be physically problematic, but it's highly likely to make you snacky which can lead to poor food choices so go easy on that one - forewarned is forearmed.

Hope this helps :)

@Jenny29 I totally get it.I too had all kinds of plans to have and enjoy TIGER BLOOD and I did not have anything like what I expected. I had hoped my joint pain would be totally gone and it is the same. For me, I have to remember that It Starts With Food...I have had a lot of stress and work out really hard on my joints - and I cannot expect good food to fix all my bad habits. But I can imagine you must be frustrated -with this being your 3rd time and having different experiences before.

This is my first W30 and I felt like Miss Cranky Pants until day 22. Then I felt a bit normal for Day 22 and 23. The last few days have been okay. But the bottom line is that we did it this far and I know my expectations were wild. For me, I (at least today) have the awareness that my body is significantly better off that with my old habits.

@vozelle - thanks for all our support during this journey so far!! I appreciate the reminder to do a proper reintro as I want to plan that well. Good input.

@Nira81 - I had almost the exact same questions so thanks for posing them.

@jmcbn - thanks for the support and responding to our questions. Love the shirt in your photo - qq...have you slayed the sugar dragon? Or is an ongoing battle? 

@kirkor Thanks for the help and your pic made me smile.

@cherryraincoat Glad you headaches are gone!

@sunnytropic I too found this easier than I anticipated. Woohoo!

3 more days for many of us..2 more days for some of us ... then let's have a thoughtful reintro! xo

@jmcbn Thanks for the feedback, it's all really helpful.  @kirkor that is classic...

@Julzology I appreciate your math! @vozelle So, if this will be your fifth round of reintroduction, how has the process changed for you each time, if you don't mind me asking?  I am just so interested in this process so I hope you'll all forgive me for getting ahead of things with some days left to go.  

1 hour ago, CaseyLee said:

have you slayed the sugar dragon?

I've been my version of paleo for a number of years. When I first made the gradual switch to paleo I relied on paleo treats at weekends. I had a local supplier of paleo baked goods that I'd buy a mixed box from and I'd work my way through it over the course of a lot of weeks. These days I barely eat fruit, let alone baked goods of any kind. In fact since my one and only Whole30 back in Feb 2015 the only off plan items I've added back in are occasional alcohol (I'm Irish!), sugar & dairy, and some very occasional oats*. Dairy every day causes me to have a cough after meals, makes my nose run, causes catarrh, and impacts my sleep quality, but I like the odd latte (from a GOOD barista), or the occasional slice of pavlova when I'm dining out, some greek yoghurt or feta cheese (I spent my formative years in Greece). I don't add sugar or sweeteners to anything I cook (or drink), but allowing sugar makes life a bit easier when shopping, eating bacon at a hotel etc, and the oats - well I live in a cold climate, and sometimes porridge just feels right on a cold morning....

For the most part I eat template meals, three times a day and to anyone looking in 'I am Whole30' - except I'm not, I'm my own thing.

So yes, I've slayed my Sugar Dragon.

*I choose not to eat gluten, sulphites, soy, msg & carageenan due to their negative impact on health, and I don't tolerate corn or most legumes. Rice, to me, is just a filler with little to no nutritional value so it's a waste of space on my plate <shrugs>

Wow guys, three days to go!  I can't believe it!  I plan to keep going and make Whole30 a WholeForever as I really don't see the need in making any of the old foods a part of my regular diet.  I'll save reintroducing foods for when I'm really looking forward to something, a night out, lunch with coworkers and holidays.  I really, only, *probably* wouldn't be able to say no to a snickerdoodle! :P

1 hour ago, jmcbn said:

So yes, I've slayed my Sugar Dragon.

*I choose not to eat gluten, sulphites, soy, msg & carageenan due to their negative impact on health, and I don't tolerate corn or most legumes. Rice, to me, is just a filler with little to no nutritional value so it's a waste of space on my plate <shrugs>

@jmcbn - THANK YOU!! Very helpful!! And what great progress and a real-life example for us!
 On the no-soy, do you ask restaurants to make sure there is no marinade with soy? It seems like soy is going to be the hardest for me besides sugar because it seems to be in so many things.

20 minutes ago, CaseyLee said:

On the no-soy, do you ask restaurants to make sure there is no marinade with soy?

In the EU soy is one of the top 14 food allergens and so, by law, it has to be identified on the menu (or ingredients labels for packaged foods), along with gluten, crustaceans, eggs, fish, peanuts, dairy, nuts, celery, mustard, sesame, sulphites, lupin & molluscs - it makes ordering out (& shopping) a whole lot easier! That said, I'm often still *that* person just to be sure!!

1 minute ago, jmcbn said:

In the EU soy is one of the top 14 food allergens and so, by law, it has to be identified on the menu (or ingredients labels for packaged foods), along with gluten, crustaceans, eggs, fish, peanuts, dairy, nuts, celery, mustard, sesame, sulphites, lupin & molluscs - it makes ordering out (& shopping) a whole lot easier! That said, I'm often still *that* person just to be sure!!

Gotcha!! :) I think I need to be comfortable with being that person. My step-daughter is having us for dinner 14 days after my Whole30 ends. I am nervous about asking her what is on the menu ... 

Gotcha!! :) I think I need to be comfortable with being that person. My step-daughter is having us for dinner 14 days after my Whole30 ends. I am nervous about asking her what is on the menu ... 

It's in my nature @CaseyLee - I've always been a straight talker, and never mince my words. It can be a good or a bad thing (especially on the forums - many people think that as a moderator I should be more 'fluffy'!!) but it's who I am, it's the way I am with my kids, it's the way my mum was with me, and generally it gets me results - especially when it's something I'm passionate about; and I'm passionate about food, nutrition, and ultimately my health.

I know that lots of people struggle with it, but you have to learn stand up for yourself - it's called self love, and you are so worth it.

Have you got a reintro plan?

4 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

It's in my nature @CaseyLee - I've always been a straight talker, and never mince my words. It can be a good or a bad thing (especially on the forums - many people think that as a moderator I should be more 'fluffy'!!) but it's who I am, it's the way I am with my kids, it's the way my mum was with me, and generally it get's me results - especially when it's something I'm passionate about; and I'm passionate about food, nutrition, and ultimately my health.

I know that lots of people struggle with it, but you have to learn stand up for yourself - it's called self love, and you are so worth it.

Have you got a reintro plan?

@jmcbn Thanks for that. You are completely right. My friend says 'Nice people get cancer' (and she did) so now she is a straight shooter. I need to make some changes there and be more direct myself.

And thanks for the reminder. I am going to create my reintro plan now.

The biggest reintro issue for me is that so many of the foods I like and used to eat contain multiple things.:
*Like soy and stevia for my VEGA protein shakes..which is a no-no in that it is liquid protein.
*My favorite go-to snack used to be frozen yogurt with chocolate toppings. Now I read that my fro-yo has milk, sugar, Carrageenan, Xanthan Gum....and that is BEFORE the toppings.
* My other fave snack was cupcakes LOL - multiple food groups there including the sugar.
*We used to eat out at fast food on Saturday nights and I'd get the 'grilled' chicken. Now I worry that it has soy in it. 

I already know that dairy and gluten cause me to bloat up like a balloon. Now after reading ISWF, I realize that is not all it does to my body. 

And then today I discovered that I had eaten what I thought was a W30-compliant RX bar but it had PEANUTS in it. Made me sick - so I guess legumes is out too.

It feels a bit overwhelming to do the reintro plan. And so much safer to stay on W30 plan. That said, I am afraid that would cause a binge one day. So I need to really think this through and stay here on the forums as I do.

but it had PEANUTS in it. Made me sick - so I guess legumes is out

I'd do separate trials for whatever legumes you're likely to eat because it's possible you'll tolerate *some*.

For instance, I can't do most legumes, but butter beans (or lima beans as they're sometimes known) & chick peas are fine.

I very rarely eat even the legumes that I tolerate though because of their inflammatory phytonutrients. Again that's a choice rather than a necessity though.

With regard to soy, stevia, gluten etc if you want to do this right, & I'd recommend that you do, you will need to do separate reintros for each one before you can go back to eating foods that contain combinations of those ingredients...

ETA: If you're anywhere close to menopause I'd suggest you stay away from soy though as not only is it known to be highly allergenic & inflammatory, but it very much impacts the hormones negatively.

9 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

I'd do separate trials for whatever legumes you're likely to eat because it's possible you'll tolerate *some*.

For instance, I can't do most legumes, but butter beans (or lima beans as they're sometimes known) & chick peas are fine.

I very rarely eat even the legumes that I tolerate though because of their inflammatory phytonutrients. Again that's a choice rather than a necessity though.

With regard to soy, stevia, gluten etc if you want to do this right, & I'd recommend that you do, you will need to do separate reintros for each one before you can go back to eating foods that contain combinations of those ingredients...

ETA: If you're anywhere close to menopause I'd suggest you stay away from soy though as not only is it known to be highly allergenic & inflammatory, but it impacts the hormones negatively.

@jmcbn You just answered ALL my questions!! THANK YOU~~~ And I LOVE the idea of trying the various ingredients (soy or stevia) first as a controlled trial before mixing them in foods I used to like.
I also just read an article by Melissa that said during reintro to relax a bit on the added sugar rule (like bacon or vinaigrette at a restaurant). That helps.
Now off the do the plan - I will try the chick peas and/or lima beans and not just throw out all legumes. 
You are AMAZING!!!

2 hours ago, Nira81 said:

@CaseyLee I remember pea protein in my vega shakes (really enjoyed them).  Would be a separate legume if I'm remembering correctly?  I wonder, how does pea protein compare in the body to eating peas?

Ahhh.. @Nira81 I hadn't thought of that! Interesting! I think it will be one of my reintro day foods at one point - but to try stevia first (and maybe peas on another reintro day) so I know how that affects me since the Vega has both the pea protein and the stevia.

Archived