January 2nd start date

calibilly

Just got back from another meal out; got dinner with my mom. I thought a steakhouse would be easiest to navigate so we went to Outback. I got a house salad (hold the croutons & cheese!) with olive oil + vinegar, a surf n turf (filet mignon and steamed lobster) with a plain baked potato. I asked the waiter about sugar in the seasoning and he asked the kitchen who said no. Next I asked about oils and butters and the waiter said they usually cook with butter so I asked for the steak not to be prepared with any and then the lobster was steamed so that was easy. Everything was so good and I didn't feel deprived not having a drink or any of the bread.

Can't believe we are finishing up day 27!

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations @sunnytropic for successfully navigating Outback.  Good for you.  

Day #28  93%!  

I have a dinner meeting to attend tonight and they usually cater from a local italian place so it'll be pasta and sausage and peppers and meatballs and I know I won't be eating any of that so my plan is to eat before.  Have salad (if it's compliant) and water.  Should be completely do-able.  Many of the people attending know I'm doing Whole30 so I won't be tempted and there won't be anyone cajoling me with "mangia, mangia".  

Dare I say it but I think my stupid head cold is the tiniest bit better today. Yay!  

18 hours ago, MarcellaC said:

Wow guys, three days to go!  I can't believe it!  I plan to keep going and make Whole30 a WholeForever as I really don't see the need in making any of the old foods a part of my regular diet.  I'll save reintroducing foods for when I'm really looking forward to something, a night out, lunch with coworkers and holidays.  I really, only, *probably* wouldn't be able to say no to a snickerdoodle! :P

Even if you never again want to eat stuff like legumes and dairy, I would still do a reintro for stuff that sneaks in to many foods.  That will let you know how hyper-vigilant you need to remain as you move forward, with reading labels and navigating restaurant menus.  

Gluten and soy should definitely be reintro'd as they show up in so many places without us realizing it if we're not careful, with corn being up there too and even if you don't think you want to do do dairy, I'd probably test carageenan just to be safe.

21 hours ago, Nira81 said:

@vozelle So, if this will be your fifth round of reintroduction, how has the process changed for you each time, if you don't mind me asking?  I am just so interested in this process so I hope you'll all forgive me for getting ahead of things with some days left to go.  

Hi @Nira81, great question. Each reintroduction experience has allowed me to fine-tune a little more. Some of the results are the same each time (I stopped testing gluten awhile ago), but I often do a longer re-intro to separate items out further... for example, I discovered after R1 that dairy gives me congestion, so I began avoiding it altogether, but after R2 I took more time with my dairy re-intro and discovered that yogurt and hard cheeses are totally fine in moderate amounts, but heavy cream and goat cheese cause problems. I also separated out the non-gluten grains and found that brown rice is constipating but oatmeal is the opposite! Other grains fairly neutral, but didn't enjoy them enough to take up room on my plate. All these discoveries have helped me diversify my diet a little more, while still remaining mostly Paleo most of the time. 

This R5 re-intro should be interesting, because I have been on a gut-healing protocol for the past 4 months (after seeing a functional MD), so I'm very curious to see what the differences will be. I won't be doing re-intro with you guys, however... I'm still only on Day 16 (since I had to restart on 1/14 after my medical test). Good luck!!

@kirkor Thanks for the tips.  I have lunch planned with my coworkers on Day 31 but I really can't go too crazy because I'll still be in the throes of the Winter Challenge at my box, (pic attached).  The only things I can really reintroduce during the remainder of this time from what I can tell, is beans and dairy.  Before W30 my husband and I weren't really having much dairy, very limited amounts of cheese and sour cream (very rare) to be honest.  We have been using coconut or almond milk for years and try to only buy those products that are carageenan free. If anyone could provide some insight as to what I could actually reintroduce while still adhering to my Winter Challenge rules I would be forever grateful!  :rolleyes:

4B-Winter-Challenge-Rules-2.pdf

Well, the last days of the W30 (my first) are here. Tuesday is day nr 30 and so far I have had these results: a lot of tasty food, weight loss (by the looks of it) and I do not crave sugar. But that's still about it. I excercise, meditate etc  eat compliant and with great taste but all the great stuff like tiger blood  and wonderfull sleep have not been my experience. I still feel more tired than  I did before W30. I do not have health care problems that might cause the effects to take longer kicking in.  I really don't understand what everybody is do excited about. The funny thing is that I do intend to take a lot of the recipes with me and I don't intend to jump into eating the 'bad stuff' as soon as day 30 is over.  But I am disappointed that that long, long, long list of things that can improve by doing the whole 30 does not apply to me for about 98% 

Does anybody has the same experience?

1 hour ago, Netherlands said:

But I am disappointed that that long, long, long list of things that can improve by doing the whole 30 does not apply to me for about 98% 

@Netherlands I do understand. I was hoping to get that laundry list of NSVs too and did not. I still have tired days although I do have a bit more energy some afternoons. I had maybe 2 days of tiger blood - but that was it. I think what I am walking away with is how well I THOUGHT I was eating compared to how I am eating now. I am at the office now where we have TONS of chocolate and I used to crave it. I am craving it less now and due to this commitment am not going to eat it today and will reintro it in a way to really understand the impact.

After I read ISWF, I guess that regardless of my 30 day trial, I want to know more about what foods are bad for me and which I process well. I want to feed my body more real food that does not mess with hormones or brain chemistry. Even though the W30 did not blow me out of the park with known benefits, I have peace of mind that I can take care of my body with food in a way I didn't know before.

That said, I was so tired before and some on the forum reminded me to add more salt to my diet (since I am eating less processed food) and that and adding enough fat helped me be less-tired.

7 hours ago, MarcellaC said:

If anyone could provide some insight as to what I could actually reintroduce while still adhering to my Winter Challenge rules I would be forever grateful!

They don't list gluten, soy, or non-gluten grains like oats, rice, & corn under the "no" foods. Peanuts would fit under nuts. And since the challenge allows some sweeteners, you could test to see if your sugar dragon is still alive.

6 hours ago, Netherlands said:

Well, the last days of the W30 (my first) are here. Tuesday is day nr 30 and so far I have had these results: a lot of tasty food, weight loss (by the looks of it) and I do not crave sugar. But that's still about it. I excercise, meditate etc  eat compliant and with great taste but all the great stuff like tiger blood  and wonderfull sleep have not been my experience. I still feel more tired than  I did before W30. I do not have health care problems that might cause the effects to take longer kicking in.  I really don't understand what everybody is do excited about. The funny thing is that I do intend to take a lot of the recipes with me and I don't intend to jump into eating the 'bad stuff' as soon as day 30 is over.  But I am disappointed that that long, long, long list of things that can improve by doing the whole 30 does not apply to me for about 98% 

I agree, unfortunately. My skin has gotten much worse throughout this journey, it's frustrating!

Getting there in Food Freedom Forever, I am excited but nervous to start re-introducing in a couple days.

I am most looking forward to testing gluten (pasta! beer!) but I am also thinking that it might give me the hardest time with cravings etc going back to Whole30 for a few days before continuing on my reintroductions.

I am torn about doing alcohol by itself or not. 80-90% of the time is beer, occasionally a vodka or tequila cocktail. I did get some gluten free beer in case I did want to test it by itself first. Obviously for the Superbowl :) 

Day #29 and that's 97%!  

@sambaty4 and @Netherlands I'm sorry that you're disappointed but I encourage you to look for the positive experiences of the last 30 days.  You have challenged yourself to completely and radically change how you eat and proved that you can do it and stick to it.  That's a win.  (ha, almost typed wine).  And even if the effects of your clean eating aren't feeling as fabulous as you thought they would your body is definitely in better shape than it was when you started.  I think that reintroduction will be very interesting because you might really be able to pinpoint sensitivities that you didn't know you had.   In the Whole30 daily yesterday they talked about trying Whole30 with other habits.  30 days of {fill in the blank} whatever you want to try.  I think I'm going to try 30 days of songwriting.  Might not produce any masterpieces but it will be a commitment to make music for that time period.   I like the idea of trying a new habit for 30 days. 

My cold is 80% better.  I have an Orange Theory workout scheduled for tomorrow morning which should kick my ass but good.  A fitting start to day #30.  My friend is planning a post W30 wine paired dinner for me (he loves to cook) but he wants to do it this coming Sunday which is smack in the middle of reintroduction.  I am going to text him today and ask him to put it off for a week.   I feel like if I can't do reintroduction right what was the point. 

Steady on my friends.  We're almost there. 

18 hours ago, Netherlands said:

Have you been keeping a food log? It might be worth letting someone take a look at it to see perhaps if your meals could be better composed... Have you been eating much in the way of fish?

12 hours ago, sambaty4 said:

I agree, unfortunately. My skin has gotten much worse throughout this journey, it's frustrating!

Have you been eating a lot of nuts? Or consuming a lot of coconut milk?

Happy Monday! I have to confess, I started my reintroduction on Saturday. I made a conscious decision that I wanted to be done. I have already done a round of W30 so for me it wasn't about proving that I could do the 30 days. And I stayed complaint for the most part. 

We went out and had a pork belly starter which was amazing like thick cut bacon (which I'm sure had soy and sugar in the sauce) and then I had a roasted beet salad with out the goat cheese was actually compliant. Then I had a vodka soda.

I was expecting to be bloated and "hungover" on Sunday even though I only had one drink but I felt good. I haven't gotten bloated yet so I am still enjoying my flatter tummy and I have lost some weight.

But I still feel like this was a successful W27 for me. I was able to navigate a non-compliant meal without going completely off the deep end. I feel better over all. I have more energy, sleep harder and my skin has been pretty much clear this whole month (aside from some hormonal breakouts with my cycle).

We have decided to stick to W30 meals for the most part without being as strict on the added sugar and soy. Although I would like to stay away from soy as much as possible with the hormonal issues it can cause as I would like to conceive this fall.  

Enjoy your last two days and I hope everything goes well with everyone's reintroduction! 

I was looking forward to having some off-plan goodies on Superbowl Sunday (I was going to shift one of my reintro days one day so it would line up), and then I got the stomach flu last week. L I had actually considered finishing my original W30 when it was just 1 day (Thursday) with some 7-Up and saltines (assuming I didn’t have a reaction) – but when 1 day turned into 3 days (Thursday, Friday and Saturday – when I was finally hungry again!), I knew my W30 was over. I wasn’t planning to start again, at least not right away – I just didn’t feel up for it. Then my husband (who isn’t doing it with me due to his job – but eats W30 the few times a week we get to eat together) urged me to start back up again immediately – commenting on the increased energy I was having. I wasn’t 100% convinced (this would, after all, interfere with the Superbowl and Valentine’s Day and a few other things and besides, I really miss the ease of having a sandwich once in a while) but decided to start eating W30 again Sunday or Monday but not commit to 30 days. That way, if I decided to go off plan for any event, I could just start my official W30 after that (so probably mid-February). Then I got up Sunday morning. I knew I had had some NSVs during my W24 (increased energy, that nagging ache in my ankle had gone away) and had lost a little weight, but I never really felt the Tiger Blood everyone talks about. But man – Sunday morning, I discovered a whole slew of NSVs that I had missed! I didn’t realize some of the aches and pains that were gone until they came back! I also didn’t realize how fast I was falling back asleep when my son wakes me up in the middle of the night until it took FOREVER Saturday night. (There’s also other NSVs that I didn’t attribute to W30 until I went off plan.) So…I started again yesterday.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that if you doubt W30 made much difference for you – it’s probably done more for you than you realize. If you’re up for another 30 days – go off plan for a few days and you’ll really see what a difference it makes. I just wish I had gotten through reintroduction first so I would know what causes these problems for me (I have my guesses – but I guess I find out in early March).

Anyway, I don’t think I ever actually posted in this thread before, but I have definitely enjoyed reading everyone’s comments and stories. Tomorrow is your last day before reintro – can you believe it?!? Good luck to all of you, and seriously, don’t skip reintroduction even if you think W30 made very little difference. If you’re wrong (and missed a bunch of NSVs like I did), you won’t figure it out until it’s too late. (Of course you can always just do another W30!) Guess I’ll go see if there’s a thread for 1/29 start date…

3 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Have you been keeping a food log? It might be worth letting someone take a look at it to see perhaps if your meals could be better composed... Have you been eating much in the way of fish?

Have you been eating a lot of nuts? Or consuming a lot of coconut milk?

Actually, yes! I've been eating more nuts than normal in the past week or so. I will cut them and see if there's a change. How cool! Thanks for your help.

I have noticed the past few days that I have returned to feeling a bit tired and achy. I thought it was from working out so I cut back and gave myself more rest days (from 5 or 6 days a week at Orangetheory to 3 days there.) My eating hasn't changed except I added a bit more protein which has felt better. 

That said, the last few days I have been waking up really earlier and cant go back to sleep (after about 6.5 to 7 hours) so I've been meditating. I wonder if getting about 30 min less sleep a day has made me this tired? 

I used to get this tired all the time and just thought it was normal - but for a couple of W30 days, I had more energy - around day 22, 23, and 24. 

I also feel the sugar cravings coming back. I have not reached for any mid-afternoon bars or anything like that.

The only thing (other than waking early - and yes I do take magnesium or Natural Calm) that has changed is that the few days I have not worked out I have had my breakfast about 90 minutes after waking rather than within an hour.

Any ideas anyone?  @jmcbn?

Thanks in advance!

11 hours ago, Julzology said:

30 days of {fill in the blank} whatever you want to try.  I think I'm going to try 30 days of songwriting.  Might not produce any masterpieces but it will be a commitment to make music for that time period.   I like the idea of trying a new habit for 30 days. 

Hello Folks,

I really sailed through this whole 30 it is my fourth one in not quite two years.  I feel good but not amazing.  However, I work really hard and I think I'm not really noticing that I probably am handling stress better.

I haven't been able to exercise during this whole 30 but I did a little warm up with my students and was appalled how sore my muscles were.  So I decided right then and there that I would make exercise my new whole 30.  Julzolgy, I like your idea of songwriting.  I rarely think of something so fun to do as a new habit.  I think I will ponder that and come up with something for March.

I'm sticking with the whole 30 for now and plan to try re-introducing a couple of things when the time seems right.

So glad to do this with all of you!

Nancy

Day 29, we're almost there!

I am seriously so excited to have made it this far but I know it's not over yet. I was talking with a coworker who did Whole30 last January today and I was talking about reintroduction and she was shocked I was going to be into next week by the time I test gluten. She didn't do the reintroductions per the program. I really feel like that is going to be the most important part and I don't want to throw away the opportunity to learn how foods affect me.

2 hours ago, sunnytropic said:

She didn't do the reintroductions per the program. I really feel like that is going to be the most important part and I don't want to throw away the opportunity to learn how foods affect me.

Good on ya!

Ya, the 30 day period helps us maybe learn some new habits and work against unhealthy cravings, but the reintro is where the real profound knowledge comes from.

15 hours ago, CaseyLee said:

I have noticed the past few days that I have returned to feeling a bit tired and achy. I thought it was from working out so I cut back and gave myself more rest days (from 5 or 6 days a week at Orangetheory to 3 days there.) My eating hasn't changed except I added a bit more protein which has felt better. 

That said, the last few days I have been waking up really earlier and cant go back to sleep (after about 6.5 to 7 hours) so I've been meditating. I wonder if getting about 30 min less sleep a day has made me this tired? 

I used to get this tired all the time and just thought it was normal - but for a couple of W30 days, I had more energy - around day 22, 23, and 24. 

I also feel the sugar cravings coming back. I have not reached for any mid-afternoon bars or anything like that.

The only thing (other than waking early - and yes I do take magnesium or Natural Calm) that has changed is that the few days I have not worked out I have had my breakfast about 90 minutes after waking rather than within an hour.

Any ideas anyone?  @jmcbn?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @CaseyLee - the thing is that our bodies needs fluctuate throughout the month due to varying factors such as monthly cycle, sleep, stress, etc. And the one can have a knock on effect on the other. For women the monthly cycle is known to increase appetite & cause cravings in the run up to ovulation & a little after. The idea being that you *might* get pregnant & the body naturally tries to prepare for that. Most people reach for chocolate, but actually the body is asking for starch in the form of potatoes, sweet potatoes, plantains etc. Even post menopuase hormones come into play and so variations in appetite are completely normal, and as you learn to listen to your body's signals you'll know just to run with it and eat more.

There is also a thing called an extinction burst which can happen towards the end of your 30 days, and this can also cause an increase in cravings. It's basically your brain's last ditch effort to make you go back to old habits & reach for all the old, comforting, off plan foods - those ones it associated with rewards, whether it wass something to pick you up when you were down, something you ate as a treat at the end of a long, hard day, something you drank to celebrate. Think ice cream, cookies, a glass of wine etc...

You're so close - Do NOT give in now!

Archived