January 2nd start date

calibilly

10 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Hi @CaseyLee - the thing is that our bodies needs fluctuate throughout the month due to varying factors such as monthly cycle, sleep, stress, etc. And the one can have a knock on effect on the other. For women the monthly cycle is known to increase appetite & cause cravings in the run up to ovulation & a little after. The idea being that you *might* get pregnant & the body naturally tries to prepare for that. Most people reach for chocolate, but actually the body is asking for starch in the form of potatoes, sweet potatoes, plantains etc. Even post menopuase hormones come into play and so variations in appetite are completely normal, and as you learn to listen to your body's signals you'll know just to run with it and eat more.

There is also a thing called an extinction burst which can happen towards the end of your 30 days, and this can also cause an increase in cravings. It's basically your brain's last ditch effort to make you go back to old habits & reach for all the old, comforting, off plan foods - those ones it associated with rewards, whether it wass something to pick you up when you were down, something you ate as a treat at the end of a long, hard day, something you drank to celebrate. Think ice cream, cookies, a glass of wine etc...

You're so close - Do NOT give in now!

That is so incredibly helpful! I do not have any intention of giving in now. But this helps me prepare for the future. I know I have not slayed the sugar dragon yet and will need to be mindful. The next month is quite stressful so it makes sense that my brain might be craving the sugar. 
On a different note...here is my Day30 pic: of my almost 64 yo self:

IMG_1933.JPG

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost the end of Day #30.  Wow!  

Thanks to all of you for being such a great support group.  This place has been a source of inspiration every day.  

@sunnytropic I'm going with Legumes tomorrow, non gluten grains on Saturday (and alcohol since I'll be out) then dairy, then gluten.  This should be interesting.  Wonder how much weight I lost?  I feel smaller. 

DAY 30! Congrats to all of you!! I hope everyone posts tomorrow (or in the next few days) with their results! Some folks like to weigh-in, list NSV's, post pics, give an overview of benefits from doing the 30 days, etc. Good luck with your reintroductions.  : )

3 minutes ago, vozelle said:

DAY 30! Congrats to all of you!! I hope everyone posts tomorrow (or in the next few days) with their results! Some folks like to weigh-in, list NSV's, post pics, give an overview of benefits from doing the 30 days, etc. Good luck with your reintroductions.  : )

And I'll be thinking of you over these next couple of weeks @vozelle! You have been so inspirational!

3 minutes ago, vozelle said:

All I know is that I really hope my after pic looks much better than my before pic, wowzers.  I thought I was in better shape with working out consistently since February of last year. :wacko: I also need to find what my body needs for strength, I thought I was eating enough, but I'm not able to lift as heavy as I was before W30.  I've tried eating more starchy vegetables, but that still isn't cutting it.  I get protein from either hardboiled eggs or meat at every meal, I'm not quite sure what my deal is.

2 hours ago, MarcellaC said:

I'm not quite sure what my deal is.

I mean, it could be in your head.  I'm one of those that thinks the widespread concern over Whole30 causing a performance drop is largely overblown. Maybe just slam some black coffee and get yourself pumped and make those weights your "B"-word.

58 minutes ago, kirkor said:

I mean, it could be in your head.  I'm one of those that thinks the widespread concern over Whole30 causing a performance drop is largely overblown. Maybe just slam some black coffee and get yourself pumped and make those weights your "B"-word.

Oh wow, I didn't know it was widespread, but you are probably right.  If I'm not hungry there's no way I'm not getting enough energy from food.  It could also be that I no longer have the boost from a pre-workout drink I was having before the gym everyday and I also cut out my pre-workout half a banana.  Zero sugar pre-workout is a huge difference.

8 hours ago, CaseyLee said:

Anyone have an idea what food group that is?

Corn or wheat, so either non gluten grains (corn), or gluten grains (wheat), but you're also gonna need to look out for cheese (dairy), and ask about the oils used for cooking - there could be soy or peanut oil (legumes) to consider too....

I weighed myself this morning.  Lost 8.6 lbs which is amazing in just 30 days.  Lost all the weight I gained over the holidays plus a couple of extra pounds.  

I realized last night that Whole 30 had started to feel like a habit and one that I'm not sure needs to end.  I'll have to think on that a bit and decide what I'll do.  

Hi All. Am starting tomorrow, February 2. Intended to start today, but was sidetracked by a glass of wine.  Actually, this is my second attempt at the W30. I started in Sept 2016. I didn't stick with It more than 2 weeks, but did lose 8 pounds. Wine was my downfall then, too. We went to Istanbul for a weekend and I couldn't resist. Then in November I went to the US to see my sons. (We live in Ankara, Turkey.) Of course I went wild with the food and wine. It's time to get back on track, I think. I'm hoping this forum will keep me motivated. Any suggestions about how I can keep motivated and stay on track would be appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, LMZ said:

Hi All. Am starting tomorrow, February 2. Intended to start today, but was sidetracked by a glass of wine.  Actually, this is my second attempt at the W30. I started in Sept 2016. I didn't stick with It more than 2 weeks, but did lose 8 pounds. Wine was my downfall then, too. We went to Istanbul for a weekend and I couldn't resist. Then in November I went to the US to see my sons. (We live in Ankara, Turkey.) Of course I went wild with the food and wine. It's time to get back on track, I think. I'm hoping this forum will keep me motivated. Any suggestions about how I can keep motivated and stay on track would be appreciated. 

HI @LMZ - the guys in this thread are pretty much winding up as they started on Jan 2nd... You might want to jump onto >this thread< as they are starting today and so will be on a much more similar time-frame.... Or feel feel to look around the 'Join the Whole30' section and find another group that you like the look of... Good luck!

Results! 

NSV- Less fatigue during the day, sleeping so much better, clearer skin, feeling confident, generally happier with less mood swings

SV- I've lost 9.6 lbs and 7 inches (bust, chest, arm, waist, hips, thigh). I did take before and after pics, and I can definitely tell in my waist and my stomach. Of course I lost the most in my bust and chest (where the bra band sits). 

I reintroduced peanut butter this morning with an apple. I will have some black eye peas with dinner tonight.

Congrats @Julzology & @Whole30Peach !

I lost 10.4 lbs and 13 inches from my bust/waist/hips/thighs/calves. Wish I had taken before & after pics.

I re-gained a lot (like, 30 lbs) in the 2nd half of last year so I am very glad to have gotten a good chunk of it off. I've been struggling to re-lose 60-80 lbs for the past few years and I've never had results as good as 10 lbs in 1 month (average 2.5/week) so I am very excited because I actually ate more and felt satisfied and not deprived the whole time.

After re-intro I plan to keep this up but loosening up a little on things like sugar in ketchup to make every day more manageable and really trying to embrace the "worth it" mentality from Food Freedom Forever.

Congratulations, everyone! I lost 7lbs and several of inches:

• Bust: .5
  • Waist: 1
  • Belly: .5
  • Hips: 1.25
  • Arms: .5
  • Thighs: 1.25

NSV:

• Clothes fitting better (especially a bridesmaids dress that barely zipped in Dec and now fits perfectly!)
  • Feeling more confident in appearance
  • Less gas
  • Less bloating
  • Faster recovery from illness (cold)
  • Fewer sugar & carb cravings
  • Less thinking about food throughout the day
  • Waking up feeling rested
  • Became more consistent wiht exercise
  • Saved money
  • Made it through buying a home and moving without giving myself a food/drink "reward"

How'd I do?

• Great on avoiding off-plan food
  • Could have done better on building template meals
  • Ate more snacks towards the end
  • Could have done better participating in more social events (vs holing up in my house to avoid off-plan food/drinking)
  • FI made it halfway, which was great given it was my idea to begin with!

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to hearing your roundup.

It feels great to be on day 1 of re-introduction!  As far as non-scale victories go, my clothes are fitting better and I having much more consistent energy levels throughout the day.  I feel great! I feel that the meal planning and prep habits I have developed are really well seated and are an excellent basis for continuing in a healthy relationship with food---it's especially helpful that my husband is totally on board with the changes I've made.  I re-introduced dairy today.  I had milk with my black tea at breakfast and I just finished an absolutely delicious serving of organic "grassmilk" yogurt as part of my lunch.  I also stepped on the scale this morning and discovered I had lost 12.5 pounds!  That was definitely exciting, but I feel so much more solid about having laid the groundwork for a healthier realtionship with food that it's almost the icing on the cake, so to speak.  :-)

Congrats to everyone. You guys really rocked it!! I lost 5lbs total - BUT lost 6lbs of fat and gained a lb of muscle. My body fat % is in the normal range which is hasn't been since 2009 I think! My NSVs include my clothes fitting better and deeper sleep. I hope as I continue to eat mostly this way - that I will have MORE NSVs.

My  question is on Reintroduction. I could use some help from the group - especially you spreadsheet folks! - or @jmcbn (without whom I could not have been this successful on my first Whole30 - thanks!)

So I want to reintro:

1. dairy
2. peas
3. soy
4. non-gluten grains (corn + non-gluten crackers),
5. gluten
6. sugar
7. stevia .... so 7 food groups or ingredients from food groups on different days.

So today is Day1, AND I have an impt family dinner on Day 12 where we are going to a restaurant - so I think I can navigate that even if I stay 100% on w30-program - but there will be dessert picked out by the birthday person. :) It will either be a cupcake (sugar/gluten) or frozen yogurt (sugar/dairy).

I am trying to come up with a reintro plan ... seems like I need to start on Day 3 to make it work?

Day 1 and 2 still on program
Day 3 - soy (day 4 and 5 back on program)
Day 6 - peas (day 7 & 8 back on program)
Day 9 - corn (day 10 & 11 back on program)
Day 12 - sugar/gluten or sugar/dairy - (cupcake or yogurt) .... knowing the sugar is likely to make me feel low energy where the gluten or dairy  might be digestive issues. (day 13 & 14 back on program). Note I will not be having gluten AND dairy  on this day - it is one or the other depending on the birthday person's choice of dessert which I will not know in advance....and which I would like to both enjoy and test.
Day 15 - either gluten or dairy whichever one was not tested on Day12. (day 16 & 17 back on program) 
Day 18 - stevia

OR should I test gluten and dairy early so I know how they affect me before the family dinner?

Does this make sense? Am I overthinking it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Today was weigh-in day and I am down 9.9 pounds after my first ever round of Whole30!  I really wish I had taken my measurements but I do have before and after pics that I'm really not that thrilled about.  I can see some changes, but was hoping they were a little more dramatic seeing as though a nearly 10 pound loss off a 5'1" person should be noticeable.  Like they say, we're our own worst critics.

7 hours ago, CaseyLee said:

should I test gluten and dairy early so I know how they affect me before the family dinner?

Do you suspect that either will be problematic? Both could potentially cause fairly immediate digestive issues (wind, cramping etc) which may put your reintro on hold because if you do have a reaction you'll need to wait until you feel like your new normal before re-testing... I'd be inclined to leave it to the day because it's dessert, you want to partake in it as part of the celebration, and you'll be heading home after....

13 hours ago, CaseyLee said:

So today is Day1, AND I have an impt family dinner on Day 12 where we are going to a restaurant - so I think I can navigate that even if I stay 100% on w30-program - but there will be dessert picked out by the birthday person. :) It will either be a cupcake (sugar/gluten) or frozen yogurt (sugar/dairy).

@CaseyLee Are you obligated to have the dessert?  What if you were full?  Could you just take yours home and save it for later?  I think I'd find a way to just say no.  but otherwise your schedule looks like a thoughtful reintroduction.  

I was going to reintroduce non gluten grains yesterday but only ate about 1/4 c. of rice so I don't know how much of a test that was.  

Hi all!  I'm so happy to hear everyone's results- congratulations!  

I have been off the boards and didn't even weigh myself until today.  I had a really hard time those last few days and went overboard with the snacking.  We were warned about fruit and nuts and I wasn't able to control myself at the end.  Live and learn, and keep on refining.    

Results: my hands don't hurt, even after heavier days giving trigger point therapy.  My energy is more stable throughput the day.  I lost four pounds out of about 12 I'll need to get back to pre-baby shape.  I could only do about 25% of my typical working out due to this month's sprains and strains, so I suppose I am pretty happy about that.  I need to continue focusing less on the scale!  I felt much leaner midway through but over eating got the better of me at the end, and my results reflect that in just an inch off my stomach and a half inch each in the legs.  

I reintroduced peanut butter yesterday, all by itself.  This morning I discovered my stomach does not like peanut butter!  I'm starting up a reintroduction log over on that board to help track these changes.  

Of course I'll still check in here, it's been a great thread! @CaseyLee I'm looking forward to hearing how the Bega shakes work out, when you eventually get there.  And oh, @Julzology you've been making me laugh with the wine comments this whole month, let us know how that first glass goes down!  

I weighed myself this morning, and I've lost 3 kilos - which doesn't sound much, but then I was only 62 kilo to start with in January, and I was 75 last January.  This was unintenional weight loss, as I already felt like I was at optimal weight and didn't need to lose more.  maybe I'm not eating enough starchy carbs, almost all of my veg is salad or steamed veg, very few potatos or squash.  hardly any nuts either.

My wife lost 16lbs !  she did well, and intends to do reintroductions, and carry on at about 90% W30.

17 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Do you suspect that either will be problematic? Both could potentially cause fairly immediate digestive issues (wind, cramping etc) which may put your reintro on hold because if you do have a reaction you'll need to wait until you feel like your new normal before re-testing... I'd be inclined to leave it to the day because it's dessert, you want to partake in it as part of the celebration, and you'll be heading home after....

yes. I suspect BOTH with be problematic! So that sounds really a good idea to NOT reintro gluten or dairy before the party. thanks so much!!

Archived