January 2nd start date

calibilly

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kept thinking that the pic, and your username reminded me of someone famous, it took me ages to finally remember who it was.  I thought maybe you'd used a pic of her as your profile pic, but now I've searched for images of her, that's obviously not the case, but there's definitely a likeness there.

... and she's younger than you too!  proves W30 makes you look good!

Hi. I have decided to continue my whole30 for the most part.  My husband is trying it now.  I have reintroduced wine and the other night I had shrimp that was cooked in butter while out to dinner. I was gassy last night but ate it Wed night. But that is the first gas I've had for a month! I didn't want more than one glass of wine. Big score! Back in clothes I haven't fit for a while and down 4 lbs and 1.5 inches in waist (I am relatively small but had gained a gut). Last night I noticed another nsv; I no longer have these bumps all over my upper arm. Skin is smooth!  I'm not reintroducing much for now. I like the way I look and feel. It will be a very slow reintro. 

probably, until you hit an equilibrium.  I started last April, lost weight, then did whole30 ish till December, then Whole30 in January and I lost another 3 kilos.  The wife says I'm not allowed to lose any more weight!  add back in some more starchy veg, or more carbs if you want to stop losing weight, but be careful not too much.

Hey everyone! It's so exciting to hear everyone's results! I don't post often, but I loved checking in every day to see how everyone was doing. I came down with a pretty nasty flu on day 30, slept through to day 32, and am still compliant. I don't plan on doing any re-intros until the 11th (that's the day hubby and I agreed on) and even still I want to keep as clean as possible to continue to lose some weight. My results for the month:

- down 12 pounds 

-overall happier mood (my coworkers definitely noticed)

- less tired throughout the day

- my body is more limber and flexible, which is interesting since I haven't worked out much this month

- I have zero food cravings or wishes

This was my 3rd whole 30 and the first one where I wasn't craving something bad for me at the end. I feel like something "stuck" and I want to do this right. Best of luck everyone, thanks for motivating me and sharing your stories!!!

2 hours ago, CaseyLee said:

So...what happens now? This sounds so weird but I do not want to lose more weight. Whole30 help reduce the low belly I had and I feel good about my body. If I continue doing Whole30 most of the week, will I lose more?

Not necessarily... your body may simply find it's happiest weight and stay right there (as @Crastney said above, your "equilibrium" point). That said, it's something to monitor and stay on top of for sure. Adding in more starchy veggies and making sure you're eating enough fat is helpful. (Moderators, any advice here?) At the end of the day, you can't lose weight if you're getting enough calories IN, that's just mathematically impossible (unless some weird medical issue is going on). So make sure you're eating ENOUGH, especially if you work out hard! You can search/post in the Troubleshooting forum for more support on this subject... good luck!

How are everyone's reintro's going? I haven't had any bad side effects with dairy or alcohol and haven't had any trouble going back to Whole30 in between.

Non-gluten grains for me tomorrow. I'm excited one of my favorite old recipes fits the bill perfectly for dinner- red curry chicken and rice noodles.

While I haven't had any cravings per se, I have noticed lately when I see food commercials sometimes it makes me really want whatever the item is - last night it was a Butterfinger candy bar commercial, I had to change the channel. It's a fleeting moment but kind of annoying.

So I decided to do a slow roll, which ended up with a day of soy since I was going to be having soybean-oil based mayo at a catered lunch. I think that went okay in terms of digestion and skin and things. Only problem is, the next day (last Friday), I seemed to  have gotten the flu. Suddenly at about 1pm, things went downhill and I spent the next 36-48 hours doing very little other than laying there and mostly being freezing but occasionally getting really hot. I didn't have the energy to even look at a phone or computer and I was super sore. I also now don't want to eat hardly at all...

So...I'm tempted to say this was flu season and chalk it up to a bad coincidence, but...still.

I'm also pretty stressed out because I'm traveling to visit my grandparents both of the next two weekends, and I know the first set doesn't have a lot of the kitchen supplies I'm used and they are fairly picky eaters to so I'm not sure how to cook for them while still making myself compliant versions of things and still having time to hang out with them, not just be in the kitchen all day. The second set revolves around food, so I'm worried they will try to pressure me into eating baked goods or something...

I know the idea of the slow roll is that if I find something I want to eat, I eat it and pay attention to how I react, but between being sick and generally stressing out about grandparents I'm not sure how the next couple weeks are going to go...

I was wondering how everyone was doing. 

Legumes- I had peanut butter with no effects. I had black eye peas and soy sauce. That night, my stomach felt so heavy. The next day I had to leave work. My stomach was all messed up and I had an awful headache. 

Non-gluten grains- I had corn tortilla chips at lunch and then white rice at dinner. The next day I was dragging. Sooo sleepy! I think it was the rice. My friend who has been doing this with me also had rice and she had the fatigue, but with a headache. 

Dairy- The only diary I really ever have is cheese and occasionally ice cream, so that is what I reintroduced. No effects from either of those. I was kind of hoping the ice cream wouldn't agree with me. :)

I'll later try the peas/beans and soy separately to see which is the culprit or if they are both bad to me, but in different ways. I'm leaning toward the peas making my stomach upset and the soy giving me a headache. 

Hi all! It is interesting to read your reintro stories!

Like @jesscummings, I decided on slow roll. I stared with non-gluten grains (Skinny popcorn). But I did that on a day my stomach was upset (Nerves - traveling to give a day-long, big big speech). So I stopped reintro and went back to W30 for a few days. I will try it again later since I do not know if it was the popcorn or the nerves.) While I was traveling I allowed myself 2 slices of restaurant bacon - so I assume it had sugar. I ate one and just didn't want the rest (Food Freedom anyone?). Then I went back to W30 for a few days and last night I had a blueberry muffin (gluten + sugar). I think the gluten got my tummy rumbling a bit BUT it was not bad at all. I do know I am sensitive to gluten and if I have a lot I can bloat up like I am 7 mo pregnant. But that one muffin did not. Which is a great learning for me - I can have one muffin without too much impact. I will go 4 more days on W30 and then there is a birthday party where I plan to have my all time fave food - a CUPCAKE. (gluten + sugar.) We will see how that does.

I accidentally tried peanuts on the last week of the program and got very sick. I know I don't tolerate other legumes well already. Soy is the one I am very curious about.

I have not tolerated dairy since I was a kid but I might try string cheese - just to try it again. My second fave dessert is frozen yogurt so I will check that out sometime on my slow roll when I really, really want it.

I am reading Food Freedom Forever now which is really changing my thinking about food - and pleasure - and how the rest of our lives can be about reintro and 'is it worth it?'

It has been great sharing this journey with you. Please keep posting your stories! (I am still over the moon with my flat stomach! All the women in my family have this giant low-belly pooch - and now I do not! To me it is shocking and feels so much better than 3x a week fro-yo did. lol)

xoxox

Hi everyone!  I'm enjoying all the notes on reintroduction.  

So peanut butter messed up my stomach.  I haven't wanted it since.  

Wheat swelled my hands and probably gave me some allover bloating.  But it didn't seem to increase my hand pain or any  general achiness like I expected.  I suspect for me, the effects of grains may be cumulative.  

The big surprise was that two vodka sodas did make my hands to hurt in the early morning hours after reintroducing alcohol.  I want to repeat the alcohol exposure this weekend because I also reintroduced a high volume of plank and push-up type exercises in the days before this; I wonder if part of the hand pain was from this.  

The alcohol reintroduction did NOT set off any cravings for sugar or for more alcohol!  I do observe physical cravings for starchy foods.  But I have remained blissfully free from sugar cravings.  There is one exception: I went hunting for a certain bakery cookie that I'd passed on all holiday season.  It wasn't available.  So I still haven't had sugar.  But I have not been able to put this one type of cookie out of my head.  Like you, @sunnytropic, they're fleeting, vaguely annoying cravings but it's just this one item I keep thinking of.  @CaseyLee do you think your cupcake will set off cupcake cravings?  Should I reintroduce my almond cookie or just keep rolling along sugar-free?  

The plan was to not reintroduce sugar except as an added ingredient to sauces when I'm not the chef.  

@jesscummings how is your weekend of traveling going?  

@Whole30Peach did you try natural peanut butter or a processed one?  I made the mistake of trying good old Jif... 

4 hours ago, Nira81 said:

Hi everyone!  I'm enjoying all the notes on reintroduction.  

So peanut butter messed up my stomach.  I haven't wanted it since.  

@CaseyLee do you think your cupcake will set off cupcake cravings?  Should I reintroduce my almond cookie or just keep rolling along sugar-free?  

Hi @Nira81 ... Peanuts messed me up too - I had an RX bar with peanuts. Bad. lol

Re cupcakes - we will see!!!! I am ON GUARD for the sugar dragon to raise his head. But I have to be able to figure out how to live with an occasional cupcake - unless it REALLY messes with my tummy. :)

Trucking along with reintros, I had non-gluten grains (oatmeal, quinoa, white rice) yesterday and didn't have any problems again.  My thai red curry is a one pot meal that makes a ton, I ended up doing rice on the side instead of rice noodles in the pot with everything else because I realized I wouldn't be able to eat the leftovers then! Tweaked the liquid ratios on the fly and everything turned out delicious!

@CaseyLee enjoy that cupcake, I was surprised the ice cream on m dairy day left me satisfied and feeling like it was worth it and not wishing for more, very unusual for this recovering binge eater.

@Nira81 I really want to use the "worth it" tool when trying to decide whether or not to indulge going forward. I like to bake and want to try making something new for Valentine's Day (celebrating weekend after this one after all reintros are done). I will say no to the office chocolates but will hopefully enjoy every bite of a homemade strawberry tart with pastry cream.

It's so awesome to read about all of your reintros. The only things I have had recently are a tiny speck of honey (my coworker wanted me to try the honey from his dad's farm in Hawaii) and about an inch long piece of bacon from a work breakfast this morning. I haven't had the desire to reintroduce anything yet as I'm still reaping a ton of benefits from the plan. I do plan to reintroduce alcohol soon, perhaps this weekend, so we'll see how that goes. I may have mentioned this before, but this is the first time in 3 rounds that I finish without a craving or desire to eat something "bad." I'm so happy about that. Hopefully this is the beginning of a healthier outlook on food (total stress eater here). 

Hope you all have a great weekend! Good luck!!

22 hours ago, Nira81 said:

The big surprise was that two vodka sodas did make my hands to hurt in the early morning hours after reintroducing alcohol.

Vodka is traditionally made from gluten containing grains, so unless you opted specifically for one made from say potato or corn (usually classed as a specialty vodka in the UK at least) you could still be reacting to the gluten in the vodka in the same way that you did with the wheat...

I'm working on a slow roll re-intro.  I have found that bread makes me really, really, really tired.  It isn't worth it, to me, to eat it.  I like feeling energetic.  I haven't re-intro'd alcohol because I already know how that makes me feel, it's not good, and my sleep always suffers after I imbibe in alcohol.  My husband and I are going out to dinner with his brother tonight.  I may re-intro something with dairy in it, since that's allowed during the winter challenge I'm a part of at the gym.  It's going to probably be Indian, I really don't want to end up sick tonight.  Keep your fingers crossed for me, you guys!!!!

My husband's and mine (kinda), NSV:  I begged him to go get his blood work done to see if W30 had any effect on his LDL cholesterol.  He was very negative about it because the doctors have been telling him that once he started on statins, he would have to take them for the rest of his life.  High cholesterol does run in his family, but so does sedentary lifestyles, full of fried and fatty foods.  Well, he got his blood work done and the doctor called yesterday to tell him to stop taking his meds immediately and that he could stay off them forever as long as he continues doing what he's doing!  :wub:

5 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Vodka is traditionally made from gluten containing grains, so unless you opted specifically for one made from say potato or corn (usually classed as a specialty vodka in the UK at least) you could still be reacting to the gluten in the vodka in the same way that you did with the wheat...

Does anyone know if there a higher concentration of gluten in vodka than in, say, bread, because of the fact that this liquid is all fermented grain?  Maybe the answer is obvious... well, it would support my theory that I feel fine with small quantities of gluten but there's a tipping point I have to be aware of.   

@sunnytropic, I'm working on the "worth it" question too.  Grains and alcohol used to seem worth simply it if it looked good and I'd had a generally clean-eating day.  I want to realllllyyy improve my "worth it" criteria beyond this baseline!  I have to remember the joint pain thing as well as the fact that they are empty calories.  It's more clear cut with sugar and dairy which make me a crazy person and mess with my stomach, respectively!  But I'm practiced at avoiding them, going back some years now.  I wonder if I keep repeating the elimination process, will the benefits just become clearer, and will the decision to avoid these inflammatory foods get easier?  

@CarolineW26, you are an example of this I'd guess, wrapping up your third round.  It's great that you're rolling along and not craving any reintro foods!  

7 hours ago, Nira81 said:

Does anyone know if there a higher concentration of gluten in vodka than in, say, bread, because of the fact that this liquid is all fermented grain?  Maybe the answer is obvious... well, it would support my theory that I feel fine with small quantities of gluten but there's a tipping point I have to be aware of.   

Nah, not necessarily.  Even wheat-based vodka can be ok for some, problematic for others ... the liquid isn't fermented grain it's *distilled* fermented grain, and that process is technically supposed to remove the gluten proteins, but some people still react.

Smirnoff is probably the most commonly-available GF vodka, and Ciroc is widely available as well.

Interesting vodka conversation, I assumed all were made from GF ingredients like potatoes, good to know that's not the case!

I am on my gluten reintro day! I had some fresh, crusty Italian bread with ghee as part of my breakfast. I really want to limit all these potentially problematic items to high quality and worth it indulgences going forward.

Went to a work happy hour yesterday and stuck to seltzer and passed on all the apps. I had a hard boiled egg in my car before driving home. I hate to draw attention to myself, it was hard not to when the passed apps were coming around at lightning speed and being shoved in my face every 30 seconds. Everyone was saying how "good" I was being and they could never do that etc. but honestly it was easy and I didn't feel deprived or tempted. I hate the rhetoric around this part of trying to be healthy, it feels like a lose-lose.

Today I'm going to a kid's birthday party and not planning to eat anything, I will bring some seltzer and hard boiled eggs and a clementine if I get hungry, it is an hour away so I won't be home until 1/2 PM which is probably too long from breakfast not to have something.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently working through the reintro phase since finishing my first round, it's been a great learning experience.  Bread makes me sluggish and exhausted for days (literally 3 days), but I can eat ice cream and stop after a few bites (it used to be my food without breaks!).  I'm trying peanut butter today, so we'll see how that goes.

I shopped for jeans last night and left with a pair of size 6 jeggings and boot cut jeans from Express.  I have not worn a size 6 in 15 years!  I am beyond elated right now!  I'll be starting R2 on March 1st, anyone else doing the same?

@MarcellaC - congrats on your size 6!! Woohoo! And congrats on being able to eat ice cream and stop after a few bites!

I am slow-roll intro too - I tried corn - which felt funny right after the meal and but was fine later. 

I had the cupcake last weekend - I had 2 flour-less mini-cupcakes. So it had dairy and sugar but was sooooo good. I had minimal to no sugar cravings. But I do have to be careful about that! I do love my RX bars!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the jeans, @MarcellaC and @CaseyLee that cupcake sounds fab...and worth it!

I'm trying to keep working my food freedom, I've had a lot of social events lately but I'm not just blindly eating whatever. At 2 lunches I got a salad (who am !?!) - granted it was a cobb, so some blue cheese, but dairy doesn't bother me. At a work event I stuck to water and had my snack (hard boiled egg + clementine) right after it ended before going home so I didn't eat any of the food there. That being said I definitely had some yummy "worth it" stuff throughout the month like a couple of craft beers and a new to me Ben & Jerry's flavor.

I did almost go over the cliff into binge land one day (strangely, not on a day right after one of those worth it indulgences) but I pulled myself up and went on the bike trainer instead. The feeling passed.

In the month since our Whole30 ended I'm down another 7.2 lbs. I feel like this is sustainable and I'm happy to keep on trucking along.

@sunnytropic Congrats! Wohoo!! I can't believe it has been a whole month since our Whole30 ended. You really are embracing 'food freedom' AND getting the benefits of another 7.2 lbs down! Good job on managing the 'almost binge' and work events! 

I am still on slow roll. I brought in dairy (with sugar) this week with a trip to Outback (steak in butter, potato with butter and sour cream, and frozen yogurt for dessert.)  I used to think that dairy made me bloat up like a balloon but very little this time. Perhaps my body was in better shape due to 60 days of mostly whole30 and able to tolerate it better. But I did find myself irritable - I think the sugar in the fro-yo. So I don't think that will be a regular thing. I will probably try gluten this week. In the past that would disagree with me too. So we will see. 

I did have a work event (rubber chicken dinner) so I nibbled at the chicken, took about 3 bites of the mashed potatoes and devoured the green beans although I bet they had butter on them. The dessert and I had a staring contest and I won. I asked myself, "Is this a dessert I would have ordered as a very special dessert?" (aka 'is it worth it?') The answer was no. And the fact that I got into a discussion with a table mate helped too!

:)

Archived