January 2nd start date

calibilly

On 12/26/2016 at 4:02 PM, BobbieMD said:

Doing this one more seriously than the other two, with an intent to potentially stay on for 60, 90, or 120 days...

On 12/28/2016 at 5:41 AM, cherryraincoat said:

I think I worry less about the actual Whole30 experience because I like the short term black and white rules. It's what comes after that's hard for me!

Focus on completing a textbook Whole30 including a comprehensive re-intro plan.

"Riding your own bike" is the goal, and is a more valuable skill than Whole30 compliance:

http://whole30.com/2012/01/ride-your-own-bike-2/

"The program isn’t meant to continue forever – it’s a tool to give you the knowledge and confidence to make good choices on your own."

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/25/2016 at 3:13 AM, oldcrone said:

Starting January 2, but pretty worried about it.  The last time I tried to cut sugar, I got pretty sick.  I also live in a very stressful household with people who love to bake and keep all kind of junk food in the refrigerator and cabinets.  Stress eating has become a way of life, so the next week will be huge for planning, journaling, and getting more real food in the house.  

Good luck, Old Crone.  Remember you are not alone -- there is a whole bunch of us who are taking on this challenge right along side of you!

I'm re-starting the whole30.  I am looking forward to not feeling hungry and having more mental clarity.  My Doctor siad my cholesterol is not bad and would lead to heart diseases in ten years.  At first I was okay with that.  But then I started, thinking, it makes no sense to wait for a porblem to arise, when I can do something now that would eliminate the problem altogether.

I'm starting on 1-2 as well.....my wife and I did our first w30 last February, had great results but neither of us did the reintroduction correctly.     I'm looking forward to this one, I like the discipline and challenge of the program.   I'll be checking in every few days or so.......good luck to all! 

Chris 

Hi all! I"m also starting on the 2nd. I've been reading up and making some recipes for the last 6 weeks. I didn't want to start over holidays but have been excited to start. 

I've had some episodes of vertigo recently and my ear feels funny (like it's under water) 70% of the time. I'm hoping that by reducing inflammation in my body I can help the condition. Also hoping to sleep better, have more energy, and end the food cravings. Happy I don't have to work tomorrow and can focus on cooking some good food.  

I started today.  This will be my 2nd round of Whole30.  I can't believe how much better I feel.  I was able to maintain partial compliance throughout the holiday season, but am ready to really tow the line now.  I am amazed at how I hardly crave bread or sweets anymore.  I find it easier to pass up the chips and bread put on the table now. I also lost 9/1/2 pounds in 30 days, which hasn't happened in years. It's truly a miracle for me.

The one thing I struggle with is completely eliminating Diet Coke.  I have cut down considerably, but want to eliminate it completely.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi January Whole30ers! I'll be starting my second Whole30 tomorrow. I had good results from my first Whole30 in the summer but since then have strayed back to old habits. I'm happy to help provide any suggestions I can based on my previous experience and am excited to learn from others as well. I can't think of a better way to kick off 2017!

5 hours ago, Oh the Irony said:

Hi all! I"m also starting on the 2nd. I've been reading up and making some recipes for the last 6 weeks. I didn't want to start over holidays but have been excited to start. 

I've had some episodes of vertigo recently and my ear feels funny (like it's under water) 70% of the time. I'm hoping that by reducing inflammation in my body I can help the condition. Also hoping to sleep better, have more energy, and end the food cravings. Happy I don't have to work tomorrow and can focus on cooking some good food.  

I'm interested to see if you find an improvement w/the vertigo...my husband has bouts w/it every couple of months. I'm hopeful for you!

-Sarah 

Our big day is upon us!  I'm rooting for us all.  My first time doing the whole thrity it took me three tries of almost 30 days before I was able to complete it (yes, I had off prgram foods on days 28, 29).  I will complete it even if I have to restart and I know that everyday that I was successful, I learned from and helped me to be more sucessful the next time.  :rolleyes:

Go US!!!

Nancy

On 12/25/2016 at 3:13 AM, oldcrone said:

Starting January 2, but pretty worried about it.  The last time I tried to cut sugar, I got pretty sick.  I also live in a very stressful household with people who love to bake and keep all kind of junk food in the refrigerator and cabinets.  Stress eating has become a way of life, so the next week will be huge for planning, journaling, and getting more real food in the house.  

Yikes! I am in the SAME boat! I live with my elderly mother who is a true sugar addict. No way she would be willing to toss her junk food.

Like others, I, too, am nervous, but it's because I use food like some use xanyx. Pretty sure I'm shaking just thinking about how to COPE (while not being a stress eater). 

I do journal, but it's mainly for gratitude. Maybe when I'm feeling the overwhelming feeling to eat my carbs, I should write about my feelings instead? 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Grammatoni said:

The one thing I struggle with is completely eliminating Diet Coke.  I have cut down considerably, but want to eliminate it completely.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Drink lots of water. Add a little squeeze of lemon or lime if you want, but drink lots of water. Occasionally, you could have carbonated water if you want, or some herbal teas for a different flavor, or you could find compliant kombucha (GT's brand is widely available in the US and as far as I know, all varieties are compliant). Coffee or tea could help with the caffeine withdrawal headaches, but if you don't already usually drink either of those, it might be better just to tough it out for a few days -- the headaches aren't fun, but shouldn't last more than 2-3 days.

Basically, though, you just have to stop drinking it.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Freetobeme said:

I do journal, but it's mainly for gratitude. Maybe when I'm feeling the overwhelming feeling to eat my carbs, I should write about my feelings instead? 

That's definitely a good idea. You could also meditate, talk to a trusted friend or family member about what you're feeling, or just do whatever you need to do to let yourself express your feelings (for instance, if you're angry, and you feel like screaming or yelling or hitting something, and you can find a way to do those things without hurting other people around you, do that. Personally, I like to slam doors when I'm angry. The doors in my house are not great for that, they don't make a nice, satisfying thud as they close, but it still helps some. If you're in an apartment, your neighbors would probably appreciate you not doing this in the middle of the night). It's okay to feel those feelings, and it's okay to find ways to express those feelings.

Hey Everyone,

Started my first whole30 today. I tried one mid-last year, but was ill-prepared and misinformed. I have read It Starts With Food, and the Whole30 book and feel like with a fridge full of whole food and meal prep, I'm good to go!

Just gotta make sure I have enough mods of protein salad :)

Ryan

Hi everyone! Today's the day! This is my second Whole30. My first was in August 2015. I definitely need the reset. But my fiancé is joining me this time. While he thought I was nuts the first go around, he admitted feeling excited about giving this a fair shot. Good luck to everyone!

Hi guys, Day 1 of the W30 on januari 2nd. Excited to get started and in awe of what is to come; lots of cooking, trying not to fall off the wagon. Hope we can support eachother on this forum. May all of us have great results and enjoy eachothers company.... Eet smakelijk!!

Hola, everyone!  Day 1!  Fragrant black coffee at my elbow, today's breakfast of sweet potato hash all ready to heat.  Final day of winter break before school starts again tomorrow.  I've even already made tomorrow's lunch for me and a friend, who I'm trying to encourage in her quest to complete her 1st W30.  For me, it's been an entire year since my last (first) W30, and I'm ready to do it all again, and perhaps be more successful at reintroduction.  For me, it's the booze (which may mean that I need to look at my relationship with that loll)

Happy Monday!  Happy First Day!

Thank you for starting this thread! I'm joining in!

I reread the It Starts with Food book, pinned a lot of food ideas, weighed in on the scale for the last time for 30 days, and I'm ready to start. I'm reenergized and ready for 2017 to be my year of changes. 

I haven't prepped any meals yet because I've been cleaning my house from top to bottom, and painting in between. However, I have meats and vegetables precooked from over the weekend with a busy family to take care of, so I technically have meals at my leisure. 

I have a week before I report back to work, so I'd like to get a grip on the sugar and cheese monsters, and slam them down hard. I'm not a violent person but living without these two things seem to bring out my alter-ego. 

Thank you in advance for sharing your journey!

On 12/27/2016 at 0:25 PM, Tonge51 said:

Hello,

I've decided to start Whole30 on January 2, 2017.  Very excited and nervous at the same time.  I'm diabetic and love to eat the things that are not good for me!  So, I have decided to make 2017 the year for me to make some lifestyle changes and get healthy.  I don't have the best support system, so I will look to this forum for guidance and support.  Good luck to everyone!

You are not alone!

I'm sure there are many of us who like to eat things that are not good for us, who are nervous and who could use more support.  Me, too!

I'm most nervous about the feelings that will come up and not being able to comfort myself with a cookie or toast or other food drug.  I, too will be rlying on this community for support.  today I will also print out the list from the downloads on this site about non-scale victories and highlight the things that are true for me.  I've done the whole 30 before and know that there are many benefits.  it will be good to see how issues have been resolved but eating what is good for me.

Let's have a great first day!

Love

Nancy 

Here I am! I'm ready! (I hope!)

i attempted Whole30 for the first time in Aug and I lasted about 18 days. Even then I could tell I was feeling better. The first week was rough and my sugar-dragon REALLY wanted me to eat cookies. But by the end I felt less bloated and was sleeping great.

i feel better-prepared this time; my biggest hurdle the first time was being stuck in the mentality that "I don't cook / I don't like to cook". The books/blogs I've read since then have made me flip that switch- "Whether you think you can or you can't- you're right." I need to stop thinking of myself as a non-cook and start thinking of it as a skill I'm learning. I CAN cook and I WANT to cook. That's what will get me through this.

reading through everyone's posts is inspiring, too. When I'm feeling weak I will be coming here for inspiration!

I'm starting January 2nd as well.  My daughter and my boss have agreed to join me.  I started but did not finish (made it to day #20) a Whole30 two years ago and after reading the "Whole 30 didn't work for me" section on this web site I can clearly see why it didn't work last time.  I work at a country club where they provide food for the employees every day.  I continued to enjoy lunch at the club making what I thought were good choices but because I have no idea how things are prepared, what oils are used, etc. I know I was inadvertently eating off plan every day at lunch.  So, I'm bringing my lunch for the Whole 30 which means I need to prep some lunch things since I never have time in the mornings to get my stuff together.  

(for the record, the last time my boss and my daughter joined me and both bailed in a few days so I'm proud to have stuck it out for 20 days)

I'm enjoying my coffee with homemade coconut milk this morning.  Since I'm off work today I'm going to let this be my prep day.  I've already placed an order with US Wellness Meats and Safe Catch Tuna so I'll be stocked as soon as those arrive.  

Good Luck everyone!

I have attempted the whole30 before with not the greatest support system, only making it to day 7. I am starting today with more resources, supports, and a few friends tagging along for the ride! I'm really excited to make this change!

Archived